Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 14:28   #6766
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
The picture says it all, it has come really good and nice to see the reflection of building on the bonnet. Nice first time detailing.

You can buy a D.A next time in case if you find difficulty in applying polish/sealant/wax.
I am not sure what a DA is. guessing it's the rotary machine used by detailers like 3M to polish the vehicle.

Is it advisable to use wax after using the sealant? I have a shipment of Optimum Car Wax on the way and was wondering if it is good for cosmetic purposes only or if it offers any protection as well?
Old 26th December 2012, 14:56   #6767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am not sure what a DA is. guessing it's the rotary machine used by detailers like 3M to polish the vehicle.

Is it advisable to use wax after using the sealant? I have a shipment of Optimum Car Wax on the way and was wondering if it is good for cosmetic purposes only or if it offers any protection as well?
IMO, wax is not required if you have applied sealant in terms of protection. But it will add some extra shine... no harm in applying if you already have in stock and you want a variation of your gym workout.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:11   #6768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
IMO, wax is not required if you have applied sealant in terms of protection. But it will add some extra shine... no harm in applying if you already have in stock and you want a variation of your gym workout.
Does this mean that I can leave the car alone for a few month now that it has DG 105 on it? I can just wash with DG Rinseless wash or ONR once a month and no need to use any wax or sealant?

Also, I am struggling to make Quick Detailers out of ONR and DG Rinseless in an empty 500 ML Spray Bottle. How much of the product should I use, 1 cap, 2 caps?
Old 26th December 2012, 15:19   #6769
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it is Dual Action Orbital Polisher and ita the same 3M people use it for applying sealants.

Wax does protect the paint surface. After applying Sealant, it is good to wax as the wax forms a layer which is Hydrophobic, it causes water to bead due to reduced surface tension. Also carnauba wax will give the paint a deep, wet, dark, rich shine.

After waxing, just run your backside of finger through the surface to feel silky smooth feel.

Edit:
Quote:
Does this mean that I can leave the car alone for a few month now that it has DG 105 on it? I can just wash with DG Rinseless wash or ONR once a month and no need to use any wax or sealant?

Also, I am struggling to make Quick Detailers out of ONR and DG Rinseless in an empty 500 ML Spray Bottle. How much of the product should I use, 1 cap, 2 caps?
Do wax after DG 105, it is good to add a wax layer. And yes, you can use ONR once in 15 days.

For QD from ONR, 30 ml in 500ml is recommended.

Last edited by HighOctane : 26th December 2012 at 15:41.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:27   #6770
BHPian

Quote:
Does this mean that I can leave the car alone for a few month now that it has DG 105 on it? Also, I am struggling to make Quick Detailers out of ONR

If you want a warm deep shine, you can use a carnauba based wax over DG. Else you can leave it as it is. IMO, sealants too have synthetic waxes but not as good as natural ones. Just depends upon the level of detailing you want to get into - or your arms

To use ONR as a quick detailer use it in a ratio of 1:8 with water. Have tried with 1:16 too. Just play around with the ratio to see what works best for you.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:37   #6771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's brilliant! It makes the glass sparkle almost straight away, and doesn't leave any kind of frothy residue.

Next thing is, I was going to ask them to aim the washer jets properly at the next service, and then I noticed that there is an easily accessible way to do this oneself (VW Polo), so I'm no longer spraying half that water on the roof, wasting that expensive additive.

I still believe that cleaning a dirty windshield with the washer jets will scratch the glass no matter how good the blades are. The wipers are activated even before the water has reached the glass and thus scratching them with whatever dirt is deposited on the blades. That dirt is only wiped after the wipers have moved across 4-5 times on the wet glass.
The damage is already done till then.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:50   #6772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post

I still believe that cleaning a dirty windshield with the washer jets will scratch the glass no matter how good the blades are. The wipers are activated even before the water has reached the glass and thus scratching them with whatever dirt is deposited on the blades. That dirt is only wiped after the wipers have moved across 4-5 times on the wet glass.
The damage is already done till then.
To counter this what i do is i pull the stick just a bit so that water is sprayed but wipers are not activated. Once the windscreen is wet i pull the stalk fully to activate the wipers and start cleaning
Old 26th December 2012, 15:53   #6773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still believe that cleaning a dirty windshield with the washer jets will scratch the glass no matter how good the blades are.
Excellent, even vital point. Thanks.

Before leaving home, I usually take my Jopasu Duster to the car. Whilst cleaning the body is just for good looks, taking the dust off the windscreen is exactly for the reason you state.

--- remove dust from windscreen.

--- make sure nothing is trapped under the wipers.

--- clean the blade edges themselves.

Not a big deal, it almost takes longer to type than to do. If the glass still looks unclear, or those corners the wipers don't reach are mucky, I usually give a squirt of Armorall Glass Cleaner and clean with mf cloth.

Quote:
The wipers are activated even before the water has reached the glass
The water reaches my screen after one or two wipes, but even one or two is too much and, in these days where everything is computer-controlled, I rank this as number-one car design fault!

I think I have driven cars where it doesn't happen, but that might have been in my dreams!

Now, having taken care of all that, and especially when one is out on the road, the Wurth screen cleaner is brilliant
Quote:
To counter this what i do is i pull the stick just a bit so that water is sprayed but wipers are not activated
I don't think that is possible on my car, but thanks for the suggestion: I'll check.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th December 2012 at 15:59.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:33   #6774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have the jopasu duster/microfiber cloth and Collinite 845. Usually I first dust my car using the duster and then pour water on the car and claen using the microfiber. Once done, take a dry microfiber and wipe of the wet.
Since I now have Collinite, how and when should I apply it. What is the exact procedure.
Can some one help my car shine like rest of cars in this thread
Old 26th December 2012, 16:44   #6775
BHPian

Quote:
Can some one help my car shine like rest of cars in this thread
For Daily/Weekly maintenance of car:
First you can use a Jopasu Car Duster to clean dust. Also get Optinum no rinse (ONR) Mix 4ml in 1litre spray can and spray all over car and wipe with wet MF cloth and then dry wipe with MF cloth.

For Monthly Maintenance:
Buy good Car Shampoo (Amway/Meguiars NXT carwash/Sonax) Then any Carnauba Wax like Sonax, Meguiar's Yellow wax etc. Then Dashboard polish for Dashboard and other exterior/interior plastic trims (Meguiar's Natural Shine/Sonax/Autoglym dashboard cleaners) For Tyre maintenance, you can use Tyre Dressers like (Meguir's Hotshine high gloss) For good visibility and Glass shine, you can use Glass cleaners (Sonax Glass Cleaner/Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner) For washing, use "Wash Mitt" and for cleaning, use Micro Fiber Cloths for different needs.

For serious detailing the car:
All the above products + If your car is 8-10 months old, get a Claybar to remove minute contaninemts struck to the car. (Meguiars/Mother's). In case, if there are any Swirls on the paint, you can use swirl remover (Meguiars SwirlX/Meguiars Ultimate compound) If paint is bit dull you can use (Meguiars Ultimate Polish) After this, you can buy Paint Sealants (Blackfire Wet Diamond/Wolfgang deep gloss/Dura Gloss 105) then you can Wax which is optional (Collinte 845/Meguiars NXT tech wax/Any Carnauba based wax) Then applicator pads to apply Polish, Sealents/Wax.
HighOctane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 17:22   #6776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
For Daily/Weekly maintenance of car:
First you can use a Jopasu Car Duster to clean dust. Also get Optinum no rinse (ONR) Mix 4ml in 1litre spray can and spray all over car and wipe with wet MF cloth and then dry wipe with MF cloth.

For Monthly Maintenance:
Buy good Car Shampoo (Amway/Meguiars NXT carwash/Sonax) Then any Carnauba Wax like Sonax, Meguiar's Yellow wax etc. Then Dashboard polish for Dashboard and other exterior/interior plastic trims (Meguiar's Natural Shine/Sonax/Autoglym dashboard cleaners) For Tyre maintenance, you can use Tyre Dressers like (Meguir's Hotshine high gloss) For good visibility and Glass shine, you can use Glass cleaners (Sonax Glass Cleaner/Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner) For washing, use "Wash Mitt" and for cleaning, use Micro Fiber Cloths for different needs.

For serious detailing the car:
All the above products + If your car is 8-10 months old, get a Claybar to remove minute contaninemts struck to the car. (Meguiars/Mother's). In case, if there are any Swirls on the paint, you can use swirl remover (Meguiars SwirlX/Meguiars Ultimate compound) If paint is bit dull you can use (Meguiars Ultimate Polish) After this, you can buy Paint Sealants (Blackfire Wet Diamond/Wolfgang deep gloss/Dura Gloss 105) then you can Wax which is optional (Collinte 845/Meguiars NXT tech wax/Any Carnauba based wax) Then applicator pads to apply Polish, Sealents/Wax.
Mine is the 100th thanks to you
That was very detailed. As of now I take my car for a spin only on weekends. Rest days she will rest under her cover. So my cleaning is weekly with just the duster. Monthly once/when she is very dirty, clean her with water. have never used the Collinite as of now.

For a start, I will get the ONR. With just a dusting/water cleaning, can I apply Collinite?
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 17:32   #6777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
To counter this what i do is i pull the stick just a bit so that water is sprayed but wipers are not activated. Once the windscreen is wet i pull the stalk fully to activate the wipers and start cleaning
Yes but that's a bit inconvenient as you have to get out of the car & do the whole thing. Its better to clean the glass as we regularly do rather then spraying with the jets.
In my opinion, the jets are only useful in the monsoon when you have less dirt on your glass & need to clean on the go.
Old 26th December 2012, 17:33   #6778
BHPian

Quote:
For a start, I will get the ONR. With just a dusting/water cleaning, can I apply Collinite?
Yes, do wash completely with car shampoo and wax it with Collinite as of now. Look at my 6 month old car which is applied only with Meguair's Hitech Yellow Wax. The paint looks deeper, rich compared to same coloured car. But the other car in picture is bit old and might have lost its shine.
Attached Images

Last edited by HighOctane : 26th December 2012 at 17:35.
Old 26th December 2012, 18:30   #6779

Hi,

I have a New Verna in the Purple color. Although the car looks like a dream in that color it is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain and susceptible to swirl marks. In fact it already had some swirl marks before the delivery itself!

I have managed to get some products and try to maintain the following cleaning schedule.
I was every 2 weeks and dust with Jopasu duster whenever I take the car out.

1. Dust with Jopasu duster.

2. Water down the car using a water hose.

3. Clean the car with a sponge and Meguiars NXT car wash.

4. Rinse the car again with a steady flow of water.

5. Dry the car using a chamois leather.

6. Wet the tyres and clean it using Meguiars Hot Rims all wheel cleaner. I use this to agitate dust and grime stuck on the inside of the wheels.

7. Dry the tyres with a micro fibre cloth and apply the Waxpol tyre shine using another micro fibre cloth.

8. For interiors I use the formula 1 dashboard polish for cleaning the plastic and instrument cluster.

9. In am planning to wax once in 3 months using the Turtle Wax hard shell paste wax.

So, I have a few questions about the same.

1. Is this schedule for maintenance good enough or do I need to add something to my arsenal?

2. What I do for my beige fabric interiors?

3. Should I go in for a 3M paint sealant job?

4. What do I do about the Swirl marks and How do I prevent them?

5. I few days back someone seems to have scratched the car when it was parked. Thankfully it's not a very deep scratch. How do I remove the scratch?
rajeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 20:44   #6780
BHPian

Congratulations on your New Car !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshb View Post
3. Clean the car with a sponge and Meguiars NXT car wash.
Instead of sponge, you can use a Wash Mitt or MF Cloth.

Quote:
So, I have a few questions about the same.

1. Is this schedule for maintenance good enough or do I need to add something to my arsenal?
This is enough for decent maintenance, just get a wash mitt to clean the car. Get Meguair's Swirl X or Ultimate polish & instead of Turtle wax which is of average quality, try any one of these - Collinite Carnauba Wax or Meguiairs Hitech Yellow Wax or even Meguiair's NXT paste.

Quote:
2. What I do for my beige fabric interiors?
There are few all purpose cleaners, eg., Armour All - All purpose cleaner, Armour All - Fabric cleaner etc.

Quote:
3. Should I go in for a 3M paint sealant job?
If you apply Sealant and Wax once in 3-4 months, you do not need to go for 3M sealant job.

Quote:
4. What do I do about the Swirl marks and How do I prevent them?
You can get Meguair's Swril X or Ultimate Compound to remove swirls before waxing.

Quote:
5. I few days back someone seems to have scratched the car when it was parked. Thankfully it's not a very deep scratch. How do I remove the scratch?
You can try Swril X on the scratch (apply it in circular motion) and if not satisfied, you can try Formula One Scratch Remover.

Last edited by HighOctane : 26th December 2012 at 20:53.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks