Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 18:03   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hey what cover would you guys suggest for the car ? Any particular brands, cost & places available in Mumbai would be very helpful
Old 1st January 2012, 20:03   #5297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey what cover would you guys suggest for the car ? Any particular brands, cost & places available in Mumbai would be very helpful
Which car is it? Rather than purchasing from outside shop you could directly purchase it from the particular manufacturers dealership. The fit and finish would be perfect and you will get quality material compared to purchasing from outside where quality cannot be judged.
Get a Tyvek based car cover rather than the silver colored car cover. Tyvek would cost twice as compared to silver colored one. Tyvek is synthetic material made by DuPont.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:40   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Its for a Beat. So how do I identify a Tyvek cover, it it thicker than the normal parachute material ? Also, is it waterproof and should I get a waterproof cover ? Could I get a ballpark figure on the cost ?
Old 2nd January 2012, 00:07   #5299
Senior - BHPian

Dupont tyvek is a multi layer tear as well as water resistant, breathable fabric!

I'd recommend at least 2 covers for optimum protection! Inner tyvek material and the outer oem beat cover!

Tyvek ones cost ~ 2.5k

Check this thread out too! - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ers-worth.html
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:45   #5300
Senior - BHPian

^^ at least 2 covers?

Any specific reasons for going over the top in using protection?
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:29   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9
^^ at least 2 covers?

Any specific reasons for going over the top in using protection?
He he! I use 3 covers and initially I had planned upto 10, but it wouldn't have been practical even though the protection then would have been impenetrable!(dents can still be transferred through the covers, scratches will be prevented though

I also wanted to design car side, front and rear profile specific styrofoam moulds that would fit on the panels!

I have experimented with 5cm thick styrofoam sheets between covers on my car's exposed side profile and they were able to absorb a really nasty sideswipe by a bad women driver(the sideswipe moved my car quite a bit).

I couldnt believe my eyes when I pulled up the cover beneath the styrofoam! I was expecting a full blown dent extending from front door to fender!

But styrofoam absorbed the impact and didnt let it localise to the impact area! There was just a lil bit of marring on the clearcoat!

This gave me the idea to build full side profile hugging styrofoam sheets that can be tucked under the outer cover(over the inner cover) and the car can literally be made dent resistant, at least while its parked!
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:56   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
This gave me the idea to build full side profile hugging styrofoam sheets that can be tucked under the outer cover(over the inner cover) and the car can literally be made dent resistant, at least while its parked!
Quite ingenious. Thinking laterally, how about spraying on and building up a 1 or 2 piece expanded polystyrene foam barrier over the car. Imagine, it may even better to keep it on permanently to drive through traffic with confidence.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:10   #5303
Senior - BHPian

^You're talking about 'plasti-dip spray'!!

If only we could get it here!!

You can multi coat any surface for durable sacrificial barrier!

But again not exactly dent resistant
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:49   #5304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
^You're talking about 'plasti-dip spray'!!

If only we could get it here!!

You can multi coat any surface for durable sacrificial barrier!

But again not exactly dent resistant
Stryofoam is Expanded Polystyrene foam. Correction: Rigid (closed cell) Polyurethane foam is used in the sprayed version, this is applied with a two component spray gun (with all the protective helmets, visors, air supply etc). This makes it possible to build up to any reasonable thickness, on any surface to take its shape (internally). Normally used for in situ insulation.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:36   #5305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky

Stryofoam is Expanded Polystyrene foam. Correction: Rigid (closed cell) Polyurethane foam is used in the sprayed version, this is applied with a two component spray gun (with all the protective helmets, visors, air supply etc). This makes it possible to build up to any reasonable thickness, on any surface to take its shape (internally). Normally used for in situ insulation.
I was offering an alternative, a lil more aesthetically appealing option than sprayed styrofoam that can be maintained with a vinyl protectant!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 2nd January 2012 at 15:40.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:12   #5306
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up Sonax tyre foam. Must say am impressed with its effect: non-glossy/ matt-finish dark looking tyre walls.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:53   #5307
BHPian

The Mag - its good, but I would suggest a more VFM method, because its a foam, you will get better VFM using a liquid or gel type tyre shine.

Using a foam applicator or waste cloth to apply it on & apply on tires will give you better effect & avoid wastage.

Tire shines are available in Matt/semi - glossy/Glossy finish depending on which end effect is preferred by the user !
Old 5th January 2012, 16:21   #5308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Using a foam applicator or waste cloth to apply it on & apply on tires will give you better effect & avoid wastage.
Foam should generally be followed up by a tire shine spray. I use a Meguiar's Tyre foam followed by Dupont wet look spray. The instructions says just to spray directly. No wiping needed. Its just to clean the over sprayed area.
But I don't get the wet look - its just a clean black shade, something like what a 'new' Tyre looks like
Old 5th January 2012, 18:18   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Just ordered Mother Clay bar kit from Ebay Mothers California Gold® Clay Bar System | eBay

The kit contains 2 clay bars, one detailer and micro-fibre towel. Price:1350/-. Is it a OK deal?
Old 5th January 2012, 18:49   #5310
BHPian

Yes, it is the correct rate from Auto Mall. Its a good VFM kit considering that you get 2 80 gm clay bars which you can use for a long time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks