Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 16:43   #5131
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Has anyone used Turtle Wax's scratch repair kit ? If so kindly share with us your experience.

Also don't you guy's think we need a separate section for automotive care and detailing. There are just too many brands and products reviews within this one thread which is difficult for all of us to read. Plus none of us can really share our views/experience's we've had with products that we've used.

The mods could split up this section into further categories as mentioned below

1) Vinyl/ Leather care.
2) Exterior Washing solutions.
3) Paint care ( waxing , polishing etc )
4) Interior Cleaning.
5) Tire cleaners.
6) Professional detailing.

stanjohn123 has a very valid point here. the posts have touched 300+ pages. a newbie like me would be lost in all the names and brands that have been mentioned over the years in the posts.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:35   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Some photos of Cobra microfibers, wash mitt, applicator pad, Collinite wax, Optimum Hyper Polish, Clay kit from Mothers, Mothers Glass Cleaner and Quixx scratch remover.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120304.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120309.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120314.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120317.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120322.jpg

Tried Collinite on the bonnet and roof of my car after claying. Applied two coats across 3 days. Somehow the results are not satisfactory. I have used the green applicator pad to apply the wax and the Cobra MF for buffing. I don't see any haze even 30 minutes after applying the wax. Maybe I am using too less?
Will need to use something else to apply wax next time as the applicator pad seems to absorb most of the wax inside.

Some photos of the car - note that only the bonnet and roof of the car are waxed. The sides are not, and I can't see significant difference.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120349.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120351.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120353.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120355.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120360.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120361.jpg

To practice, I also tried waxing our bike (after claying).
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120366.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120368.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1120369.jpg

Will write more reviews later.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:29   #5133
BHPian

I got a chance to try my hand at detailing, this weekend (12th&13th November, 2011).

Products used:

Jopasu brush, for cleaning the surface (it was wet cleaned using ONR the previous week).

Instant detailer (ONR with MF)

Megs ColorX and Formula 1 compound together on applicator sponge

Collinite 845.

The result:

For all to see:

First the Laal Pari:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00108.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00109.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00110.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00111.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00112.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00113.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00114.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00115.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00116.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00117.jpg

I was mighty surprised and happy at the results I had achieved.

It was better that what the car was at the time of delivery.

Points for pondering:

There are certain scratch marks inflicted by claws of cats that had a fight on the bonnet and roof of the car. I was not able to remove these.

Is there any way to get rid of these marks, or do I have to live with them?
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 10:43   #5134
BHPian

Now the Fusion:

The issues I was feeling were,

The colour was fading, or getting dull,

Lots of hairline scratches-Dilli hai bhai! scratches ke bina car kya?

Products used: As described in the previous post.

Plus, for the wheels, I used
1. Eagle One A to Z All wheel tyre cleaner, as the alloys and wheels were super dirty.
2. Armor All tyre foam
3. 3M brush
4. Scotch brite
5. Tide detergent solution

Result: Astonishing. Unbelievable. Mind blowing.

I could not believe my eyes.

Time taken:

1. On the tyres: 4 hours,
2. On the paint: Close to 3 hours. Alas, I still don't have the machine (the DA Polisher).

The photographs:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00118.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00119.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00120.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00121.jpg

Please guide me on the cleaning of the carpets and side walls of the doorcards.

The fusion has this whitish grey tone on the carpets which is a pain to maintain. All my efforts so far have gone in vain.

Last edited by deepfusion : 18th November 2011 at 10:49.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:24   #5135
BHPian

Sorry,

I posted the 'before' pictures.

The 'after' pictures are attached.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00122.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00123.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00124.jpg

The water beaded so well.

After all these years the car has been with me, Its still good to stare at, I thought to myself while getting it washed, after waxing.

Happy me.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:15   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Some photos of Cobra microfibers, wash mitt, applicator pad, Collinite wax, Optimum Hyper Polish, Clay kit from Mothers, Mothers Glass Cleaner and Quixx scratch remover.

Tried Collinite on the bonnet and roof of my car after claying. Applied two coats across 3 days. Somehow the results are not satisfactory. I have used the green applicator pad to apply the wax and the Cobra MF for buffing. I don't see any haze even 30 minutes after applying the wax. Maybe I am using too less?
Will need to use something else to apply wax next time as the applicator pad seems to absorb most of the wax inside.
Sun, in how many days did you receive the courier from carpolish. Did they give you any tracking no?
The polish seems to look good. The results are good, the reflection is very much there. The sides dont have any reflection as such compared to roof and bonnet. Don't be disheartened, Collinite is the best VFM wax out there. Wax on light colored cars don't get that result compared to what you get on a dark colored car, that may be a reason. Deepfusion too has used the same wax and the reflection is too good because its a red color.

I too bought the green applicator pad for applying SwirlX, let see how that turn out. Most of applicator pads absorb the wax/polish inside them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I got a chance to try my hand at detailing, this weekend (12th&13th November, 2011).

Products used:

Jopasu brush, for cleaning the surface (it was wet cleaned using ONR the previous week).

Instant detailer (ONR with MF)

Megs ColorX and Formula 1 compound together on applicator sponge

Collinite 845.

Points for pondering:

There are certain scratch marks inflicted by claws of cats that had a fight on the bonnet and roof of the car. I was not able to remove these.

Is there any way to get rid of these marks, or do I have to live with them?
Nice detailing done over there friend. Seeing you all, I'm waiting for some stuffs to come by and would do a detailing session on my Pearl Black Vento.
For the scratches either you can use Formula1 Scratch Out or Quixx Scratch remover, that the best. If you purchase Formula1 try to get it from a authorized distributor/retailer as there are many fakes of Formula1 out there in the market.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 18th November 2011 at 17:16.
Old 19th November 2011, 09:19   #5137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sun, in how many days did you receive the courier from carpolish. Did they give you any tracking no?
It took about a week to get the courier. Yes, a DTDC tracking number was provided.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:53   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
It took about a week to get the courier. Yes, a DTDC tracking number was provided.
Being liquids, they are sent via surface courier and hence the longer time. That was told to me when I had got my stuff.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:03   #5139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Anyone has experience with dishwashing liquid? I need to know the best locally available product. I need to test a paint sealant which claims to be resistant to its wash.

My theory is if the claim is true, then I think the dust collection on my car will reduce dramatically. Oily fumes from diesel operated cars and the fried food oily particulates in the air, we indians eat, will be easily washed.

I need inputs from those who have practically tried various brands.
The only time you would want to use dish washing liquid is when you want to completely strip the car of old wax before doing a complete detail.
Raj2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 14:22   #5140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj2010 View Post
The only time you would want to use dish washing liquid is when you want to completely strip the car of old wax before doing a complete detail.
Raj2010, I think you have completely lost my earlier posts. I have come across a synthetic paint sealant resistant to dish washing soap. Waxes would definitely wash off. I am from a school which is not found of waxes because of the inherent defect that they attract a lot of dust in our Indian environment. This leads to higher chances of scratching your car while washing (if one does not do it himself).

Anyway I have taken the suggestion of washing my paint sealant coated car with Pril. It has been a week. It is still gleaming like the first day I treated it (on 18th October, 2011) and washing it with Pril (I used a foamer to apply it on the car). The advantage I found is that after the dishwashing wash my car had lesser static and collected less dust while parked in a dusty zone. My final judgement will be done after following this practice for 6 months to a year.

Hope it lasts and I am not
Old 19th November 2011, 16:33   #5141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig

Raj2010, I think you have completely lost my earlier posts. I have come across a synthetic paint sealant resistant to dish washing soap. Waxes would definitely wash off. I am from a school which is not found of waxes because of the inherent defect that they attract a lot of dust in our Indian environment. This leads to higher chances of scratching your car while washing (if one does not do it himself).

Anyway I have taken the suggestion of washing my paint sealant coated car with Pril. It has been a week. It is still gleaming like the first day I treated it (on 18th October, 2011) and washing it with Pril (I used a foamer to apply it on the car). The advantage I found is that after the dishwashing wash my car had lesser static and collected less dust while parked in a dusty zone. My final judgement will be done after following this practice for 6 months to a year.

Which paint sealant do you use ?
Old 19th November 2011, 20:56   #5142
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post

The problem is that dish washing liquid removes any traces of oil from the paint, which shall over time cause the paint to dry up, become brittle and crack. You can clearly see it happen on cars which are not waxed. All waxes are buffed off after application and only a hint or residue remains, this is what protects the paint. IMHO our climate is tropical and we expose our cars to a lot of sunlight, unlike those in Europe and the US.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:40   #5143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which paint sealant do you use ?
The paint sealant under testing is Modesta.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:45   #5144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
The problem is that dish washing liquid removes any traces of oil from the paint, which shall over time cause the paint to dry up, become brittle and crack. You can clearly see it happen on cars which are not waxed. All waxes are buffed off after application and only a hint or residue remains, this is what protects the paint. IMHO our climate is tropical and we expose our cars to a lot of sunlight, unlike those in Europe and the US.
SAS, you are right. But my experiment is not being done on paint, but over the paint sealant. The idea is take out the oily film sitting on the paint sealant, as and when it occurs. This has till now led to lower dust attraction. That is basically why I am trying in Indian conditions and not going by the claims of the supplier. 1 yr of testing should be enough to confer whether such a sealant would survive our hot, dusty and humid conditions.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:19   #5145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, Looking for suggestions here:
Noticed several spots/stains on the glass (windshield, ORVM's, windows) caused mostly by hard water. How can I safely remove these ? Any ways to prevent them in future ?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NPV : 20th November 2011 at 11:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks