Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 23:23   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

There is a green colored, soap shaped thing available & here in my locality, it's called "buffing". That's what mechanics also use.

You would need to crush it into a powder & mix it up with a little diesel & then start buffing these aluminium parts.

Quote:
Can anyone help me on how to get a mirror-finish on the transmission case of my Bullet? I tried Turtle Wax Chrome Polish but makes only 2% difference. I had got it professionally done 2 years back & it shined like Chrome! But off-late it has again dulled.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 8th March 2012 at 23:24.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 21:29   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, I have finally today ordered, the Jopasu Small gift pack Jopasu Gift Pack (Small) | eBay

And Mother's clay bar kit Mothers - California Gold Clay Bar Kit | eBay
So finally got everything delivered today. Prompt service, in less than 3 days!!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_2865.jpg

So tomorrow, will try a basic detailing job and will see how it goes for me.
The jopasu duster looks and feel very sturdy and durable. I like the long handle and it will be good for quick dusting of the car.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:06   #5508
BHPian

I have a lot of white spots on my black Cruze, on the D pillar, and also near the fuel cap. I have tried bicarbonate, vinegar and lime, and also washed the car with soft filtered water, car shampoo (Formula 1 Wax and Wash). I ordered a Mother's Clay Bar and Meguiar Scratch X 2.0 but they will take several weeks to arrive I guess. Meanwhile, the workshop where the car was for a number of days for body work, could not figure out the cause of these marks. They attributed them to bird droppings, but that was ruled out because the car is mostly covered when not in use (except in the workshop, where they have an area which is out in the open where the body work is done) and is clean wiped before and after every trip.

So the workshop offered to repaint part of the panel, for which a trip is due (due to the Holi vacations, they were closed for a few days). I want to try and get rid of them without having to get the panel repainting. For one, I am scared that the finish will be affected at the boundary of the region where the paint is done. Secondly, it seems a touch excessive just to get rid of these marks (which are visible to the naked eye by the way).

I want to avoid double posts, so I have posted photographs of these marks on my Cruze thread (here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2709280). But a representative photograph is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-d_pillar_6.jpg  

Old 11th March 2012, 12:18   #5509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I have a lot of white spots on my black Cruze, on the D pillar, and also near the fuel cap. IThey attributed them to bird droppings, but that was ruled out because the car is mostly covered when not in use
I think these are scratches induced by a car cover. I am not sure, as in some pictures, it seems like bird-droppings. Is there any chance of the car being scratched in parking with the cover on?
Old 11th March 2012, 12:32   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I think these are scratches induced by a car cover.
I hope not. I use two covers. First a Silvertech Car Cover, and on top of that the more flimsy cover given by the dealer.

But if a car cover can cause such severe scratches/stains, would you suggest a different kind of car cover? I'm open to suggestions. The Silvertech cover itself costs Rs. 1600/- or so, and is imported (I ordered it from Mumbai after reading an ad about it in Autocar India).

Quote:
I am not sure, as in some pictures, it seems like bird-droppings.
These marks were first observed after the car emerged out of the workshop where it had spent a few weeks. If these are indeed bird droppings which have taken refuge in cracks or fissures (as the workshop supervisor also felt) then they ought to be removable using the techniques the workshop usually adopts (short of repainting). They were confident that a high pressure wash would get rid of these marks.

But when that didn't happen, they offered to repaint the panel. I think its just a touch excessive just to get rid of the marks, but if nothing else works, I'll be forced to get it done..eventually. While the marks are there, I thought it would be a good idea to try some harmless experiments on them, and also to get inputs on TBHP (hence the post). As a friend pointed out, there is no reason to expect that the repaint will make all the problems go away.

Quote:
Is there any chance of the car being scratched in parking with the cover on?
I don't think so. First of all there are two covers, and secondly, one cannot feel these marks at all with a slow movement of the finger. So whether they have penetrated the clear coat or not, they are essentially impregnated in the paint now.
Old 11th March 2012, 13:09   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope not. I use two covers. First a Silvertech Car Cover, and on top of that the more flimsy cover given by the dealer.
The spots look like splash marks where some corrosive liquid has been allowed to dry. It could be just hard water, or could be some other chemical, I cannot say.

Try getting it polished out by a professional with a mild cutting compound. Will have to search, because there are a lot of fakes.

Also, there are a Lot of scratches in the paint finish, which appear to be a combination of cleaning the car with a dry cloth and the car cover. Car covers are IMO useless, especially in dry dusty areas like Kanpur. They do not prevent the dust from settling between the cover and the car, and cause scratches when covering the car and removing the cover. They do however prevent direct sun damage. 2p.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:50   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
So whether they have penetrated the clear coat or not, they are essentially impregnated in the paint now.
You are right. They are obviously on the base coat. Is the dealer ready to accept this happening at his workshop and do it on FoC basis? If positive, I would suggest get it re-painted.
Old 11th March 2012, 21:41   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM

The spots look like splash marks where some corrosive liquid has been allowed to dry. It could be just hard water, or could be some other chemical, I cannot say.

Try getting it polished out by a professional with a mild cutting compound. Will have to search, because there are a lot of fakes.

Also, there are a Lot of scratches in the paint finish, which appear to be a combination of cleaning the car with a dry cloth and the car cover. Car covers are IMO useless, especially in dry dusty areas like Kanpur. They do not prevent the dust from settling between the cover and the car, and cause scratches when covering the car and removing the cover. They do however prevent direct sun damage. 2p.
I agree, they look like hard water spots.

You have to feel it for texture, if you cant, then you can polish it out.

Basically hard water containing calcium and Mg salts etches into the clearcoat(when the water evaporates, leaving those salts behind) if not removed in time.

Try out any light polish that you have. I doubt the etch has reached the base coat yet. Try polishing that area with hand and a light colored cloth, if the cloth starts to turn black while polishing, then there might be clearcoat failure there!

Get a Tyvek material covered for your car, it's a comparatively softer material. Polco manufactures them!

Last edited by sohail99 : 11th March 2012 at 21:59.
Old 11th March 2012, 21:50   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Unfortunately, there is no detailing shop outside any authorized service center that I know of in this city. The method adopted in the authorized workshop is brute force: scrape down and repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I have noticed these scratches carefully only very recently. I use a car cover when the car is not in use at home. We have a very small driveway, and people who enter the house brush past the car. The cover is used to protect it from the sun (to which part of the car is sometimes exposed) and from any abrasions that may occur due to people walking past it. The dealer provided cover seemed too abrasive so we ordered a Silvertech Car Cover for the Cruze.

However, I have no means of concluding with certainty that the cover is responsible for those scratches. I use wet chamois to clean the car now with shampoo. But I can't say that a dry cloth was never used.

Could you suggest a better car cover perhaps? Maybe one which has a soft inner side?

Quote:
You are right. They are obviously on the base coat. Is the dealer ready to accept this happening at his workshop and do it on FoC basis? If positive, I would suggest get it re-painted.
Well, this was part of our list of woes when the car was originally given. They did offer to repaint it at some later stage (they said it is not very critical and of course does not affect the performance of the car, so I should come probably during the next servicing to get it done).

However, if these stains are not due to a corrosive chemical, and are essentially hard water stains, then there's got to be a

I will try the Formula 1 Scratch Out more vigorously with a MF towel tomorrow morning and post my experience on this thread.

Last edited by darthvader : 11th March 2012 at 21:52.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:40   #5515
BHPian

Quote:

I will try the Formula 1 Scratch Out more vigorously with a MF towel tomorrow morning and post my experience on this thread.
From you pics (the first couple) it seems to be scratches. Dont try the Scratch Out vigorously, you can do more damage than good. Use a small brush and touchup with some paint (nailpolish willl also do).

For the white patches (that look like hard water) there is something which I have tried and it worked for me. Buy some Mseal (the black one not the white instant setting one). Mix some Mseal into a small ball. Now spray a little Zorrik88 (it does not harm car paint if you dont leave it there) on the ball and slowly rub it across the spot. Dont press hard and not too vigourous. After 30 seconds or so, wash it off with a dilute car was solution. It will get the stain off. Just ensure that you dont leave the Mseal residue behind. (use silicon spatula or flexible spoon to take it off immediately).
Old 12th March 2012, 16:11   #5516
Senior - BHPian

This weekend, my days were spent washing, claying and then waxing my Car and bike. I was pleased with my effort. I used Mother's California claying kit and Formula 1 car wax.
Here is the result.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-_mg_2963.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-_mg_2986.jpg

I know there's scope for lots of improvement. Next time I'll also polish after claying. But have to say that the surface feels very soft now after claying.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:47   #5517
BHPian

^^ nice results and you got same bike as I have Also ordered jopasu duster from ebay, lets see how long it takes here to arrive.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 18:02   #5518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
From you pics (the first couple) it seems to be scratches. Dont try the Scratch Out vigorously, you can do more damage than good. Use a small brush and touchup with some paint (nailpolish willl also do).
I would suggest not to touch-up if he is getting it re-painted for free by the dealer. No matter how much finishing you give but a "touch-up" will "show-up"
Old 12th March 2012, 21:04   #5519
BHPian

@ darthvader, From the pics, I guess these spots/ spray dots are due to the spillage of some acid (probably the 1, used as Battery water).. Somebody might have spilled it over & then have tried to remove it in a 'hurry' by rubbing it, making all the mess more visible & complicated.. Even if you investigate properly, may come to know the facts.. That's what I think..
Now, I would suggest you to leave the 'repair' job up to the dealer just asking him to get everything done as good as he can.. and of course, for FoC.. All the Best!!
Old 12th March 2012, 21:16   #5520
BHPian

Post repeated mistakenly & needs to be deleted..

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 12th March 2012 at 21:19. Reason: Post repeated mistakenly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks