No-Current set up suits my needs 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 08:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official ground clearance upgrade package for Linea/Punto @ Rs. 10,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Price looks all right and is identical to other cars' parts. But what i don't understand is that, why didn't they fit it on cars from factory itself, considering the fact that every manufacturer in India with their 'specially made for India tag" tweaks suspension for their cars. These are critical parts and not some accessories that user installs later.

PS: what are they doing with the replaced parts.
Probably they decided on this after feedback from users.
The new cars are coming with increased GC from the factory.
And Existing owners have been given the option to upgrade.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 11:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Any chances of the older models getting auto wipers?
FIAT India hasn't decided said as per one of their posts on FB.
The knob on the dashboard is for the same feature, right?
Though Off- Topic , +1 to this, I would be more interested in the Auto Wipers and Headlamps for my current T-Jet rather than increased GC.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec
Price looks all right and is identical to other cars' parts. But what i don't understand is that, why didn't they fit it on cars from factory itself, considering the fact that every manufacturer in India with their 'specially made for India tag" tweaks suspension for their cars. These are critical parts and not some accessories that user installs later.

PS: what are they doing with the replaced parts.
I don't think the punto needs additional GC. I've taken my car to all sorts of roads over the last 50k kms and It's hardly ever bottomed out. However,I see no harm in this upgrade and I'll probably get it done when I need a suspension overhaul provided handling remains the same.
The Linea on the other hand will definitely benefit from the update.

They probably sell the old parts which are then sold in local markets as refurbished spares/'original'

Last edited by sukrit7 : 6th February 2012 at 13:59.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:19   #49
BHPian

Even after changing my tyres to 195/65 R15s, I've scraped the engine guard a few times, esp. when ghoing through the tracks left by trucks, used to it now, I'll change when I have to replce the suspension.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:08   #50
BHPian

This is interesting. I have a few questions though.

1. I have a 2011 Linea MJD. This I assume is with 160 mm GC. Post the GC upgrade package, how much will it be bumped to? 170mm or 185mm (the new Linea GC)

2. Won't I be able to increase the GC if I just upsize my wheels to 16"?

While I may not be completely happy with the GC on the Linea, it more than makes up with its handling. If handling has to be sacrificed to attain better GC, then Thank you very much. I rather have the car scrape than lose the handling. Add to this, the engine guard does a pretty good job.

Question 3 then: How's the handling on the T-Jet with 170mm GC then? The reviews suggest that it's not very different from the Old Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised by how many Fiat owners are satisfied with the ground clearance.
Hmm... I wouldn't think so. More than being happy, I think many of us Linea owners don't want to mess with the handling of the Linea post the GC update.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Nice one sidindica...Cannot make out the difference with a quick glance.
Looks like they both are parked one behind the other.
Were you able to take one single picture of both the cars?
If you look the new linea from the backside just a few meters away from the car you will be able to see the front tyre. I happened to see this while i was riding behind of the new Linea. But if you look at the previous model of linea you wont be able to see anything after the gas tank and rear suspension.
harryms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 20:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
This is interesting. I have a few questions though.

1. I have a 2011 Linea MJD. This I assume is with 160 mm GC. Post the GC upgrade package, how much will it be bumped to? 170mm or 185mm (the new Linea GC)

Hmm... I wouldn't think so. More than being happy, I think many of us Linea owners don't want to mess with the handling of the Linea post the GC update.
Post upgrade it will be bumped upto 185mm

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th February 2012 at 04:41. Reason: Please use selective quoting & avoid quoting a long post as it is an inconvenience to our Mobile readers, Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:25   #53
BHPian

I wouldn't go for the upgrade as I feel it would be wise to rather invest on a nice set of alloys. Plus, I don't trust the TASS guys with the 'jaldi khatam karo' attitude to pull this off without issues. Also they charge exorbitant charges for labour and installation.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:44   #54
BHPian

My Punto has clocked 11200 kms and is up for its first regular service at 15000 kms. I am certainly interested in checking out and installing this new kit. Just that it should not come at the cost of the brilliant handling.

I've scrapped the Punto on speed breakers and inclines on several instances; handful of them pretty serious ones. This always leaves me with a concern about the under body and also parts like the silencer mechanism that is prone to such scrappings. I think the kit will solve that issue and give me some piece of mind.

Still curious about the content of the kit and the labour charges though.
Old 8th February 2012, 23:28   #55
BANNED

Up on visiting the Tata Fiat service center my brother asked the further details of the GC upgrade to the S.M. and the reply was shocking.

First he said its free ! Then he said its for some particular VIN series !! .

Up on quizzing him further he said he is not yet aware of GC upgrade and what he was saying till today to my brother was there is a recall going on for the suspension of Linea for some particular VIN Series and its free.
Old 9th February 2012, 09:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
... not yet aware of GC upgrade and what he was saying till today to my brother was there is a recall going on for the suspension of Linea for some particular VIN Series and its free.
That is shocking Wildon.

IMHO the T.A.S.S was just ignorant and confused, however if the recall is actually taking place did the T.A.S.S guy by any chance know the VIN series being recalled and what exactly is the reason for the recall?
Old 9th February 2012, 12:23   #57
BHPian

after going through the topic my decision is not to go for the upgrade of GC in my linea.
1. The cost of the kit + labour is over my budget.
2. The work quality of the TASS wont be as perfect as we have it from the factory.
3. I doubt that the handling of the car in sharp turning will matter.
4. I don't want to compromise on the comfort factor of this car by changing the suspension height.
5. Now after driving for many KMs we know how to handle the car without hitting her belly even though occasionally we does scratch her belly (cant help situation ).
6. Changing the under belly protective metal sheet is very cheap compared to changing the suspension.
7. If we maintain the tyre with correct air pressure we can mostly avoid the under belly scratching.
8. Linea does not look good in appearance when the GC is increased. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so this view can change from person to person
Old 10th February 2012, 12:05   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Up on visiting the Tata Fiat service center my brother asked the further details of the GC upgrade to the S.M. and the reply was shocking.

First he said its free ! Then he said its for some particular VIN series !! .

Up on quizzing him further he said he is not yet aware of GC upgrade and what he was saying till today to my brother was there is a recall going on for the suspension of Linea for some particular VIN Series and its free.
I think the service advisor is referring to the rear axle replacement that was being done a few days ago for a particular VIN series (defective part in that series supposedly caused noise and some other symptoms), I think this was for cars manufactured from jan to march 2011 or something like that, unsure of the exact series of numbers affected. The SA might have got confused between the rear axle replacement and this GC upgrade package. Rear axle replacement is free of cost. GC upgrade is optional and has to be paid for by the customer.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

So today i saw a Brand New Linea with the Upgrade Kit-probably it was 2011 Emotion Pack,as it had 15 inch Alloys.
It was looking weird-too much gap between fenders and tyres.
I am not going for the upgrade until i get 16" Rims and Tyres.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So today i saw a Brand New Linea with the Upgrade Kit-probably it was 2011 Emotion Pack,as it had 15 inch Alloys.
It was looking weird-too much gap between fenders and tyres.
I am not going for the upgrade until i get 16" Rims and Tyres.
thats true there is too much gap between the fenders and the tyres but the reason why am planning for upgrade is because of a seized engine issue which is spotted in cars with low ground clearence(punto and linea).i enquired this issue in several dealerships.Trivandrum Kulathungal Motors(tata - fiat dealer)guys told me that its because the oil stump hits in bumbs and pathholes and oil gets leaked with in some days it reaches critical level and the engine seizes. several cars mainly 2009 made cars came with the same issue and finally the changed the main engine components with usually results in a bill amount of lakhs.Earnakulam RF motors Fiat Advisor told me that there is issue with the timing chain of the Fiat 90bhp multijet engine.the timing chain breaks and will end in critical engine failure.he told me that its not because of oil leak its a manufacturing defect and this issue is spotted all over india and he told the fiat is not responding to this issue.any way i am concerned about this issue am planning a upgrade to avoid the similar situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks