View Poll Results: Are you upgrading?
Yes- I will go in for the GC Upgrade kit 21 33.87%
No-Current set up suits my needs 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 16:37   #61
BHPian

Re: Official ground clearance upgrade package for Linea/Punto @ Rs. 10,000

Well my question is how good is the upgraded ground clearence on the old cars and how is the new car which comes with higher ground clearence from the factory itself. In fact my personal reqirement is that I need a sedan with high ground clearence and my obvious choice was SX4 but since the said model is due for a major upgrade and facelift I didnt opt for it. So my confusion is weather the increased ground clearence of the Linea can match the ground clearence of the SX4 and handle bad roads as well as the SX4 does.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:04   #62
BHPian

the GC on my linea mjd is 165 i think. i rarely scrap. addition of 20mm means almost never. but please remember, the suspension is towards the soft side and please be polite while crossing speed breakers. you are going to like linea's suspension much more than sx4.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 17:10   #63
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs regarding the GC upgrade on Punto. I have a 90HP Engine, haven't done so many KMs yet but still feel upgrade is worth the effort considering the road in Bangalore. Will contact Prerana who sold this car, hopefully the sales engineer will not start with the company guarantee void story again as this upgrade was suggested by Fiat itself.

Never came across any warning with the timing belt. Greets.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:39   #64
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded their ground clearance?? I plan to upgrade the GC of my Linea MJD and wanted a feedback on the same.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
Has anyone upgraded their ground clearance??
BHPian kvk is going for the ground clearance upgrade. I suggest you to wait for his inputs after getting the upgrade done.
Klub Class is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 11:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
BHPian kvk is going for the ground clearance upgrade. I suggest you to wait for his inputs after getting the upgrade done.
After going through this thread, it remind me of two type of var owners:
1. Safe/City drivers: Comparatively good roads, no off-roaders, neither long-drivers, comfort, than adventure so no no to meddle with factory-fittings. No long-drive and off-road adventure risking the car. If long travel, catch train, why spoil the car? Let her rest in peace in garage.

2. Drivaholics: Divaholics use the vehicle/it's salient features to the last. Driving pleasure is important, 'car is for driving'. Never keep car rest-in-peace. Amateur-mechanics, know every nut-bolts of his car, hence always keep car fit.
No 1 ppl wont go for GC upgrade. No.2 will, may after feed backs.

I am going for.
Driving upto Ladakh in August with Linea MJD 2010. 165 is current GC. Good enough for good roads, dont think of truck-path or non-tarred country roads, leave alone off-roading. Hence need more GC at ay cost. Questions:
1. Pls feedback anybody done GC improvement by GC kit. Does the superb handling affect more than say 25%?
2. Changing to 16 inch tyre is as good as GC kit upgrade? Pros and cons?
3. If I get about 25mm(1 inch) by both, isnt tyre-altering best option?

Thanks in advance...
Old 4th June 2012, 11:49   #67
h14
BHPian

Hi sunney, I have not done the Gc upgrade because I had upgraded my tires from 195/60R15 to 195/65R15. This has substantially increased my gc and it is good enough for the roads that I encounter.

Some of my friends have done the upgrade and everyone have said that the handling has not changed. They say that the car behaves same as before.

Last edited by h14 : 4th June 2012 at 11:50.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:37   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14
Hi sunney, I have not done the Gc upgrade because I had upgraded my tires from 195/60R15 to 195/65R15. This has substantially increased my gc and it is good enough for the roads that I encounter.

Some of my friends have done the upgrade and everyone have said that the handling has not changed. They say that the car behaves same as before.
Hey great inputs on the GC kit but I too agree that the engine guard is quite sturdy. I had a few bad "thuds" on my Sikkim trip im yet to get the car checked after the trip. Hopefully there's no damage.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I've not done the Gc upgrade because I had upgraded my tires from 195/60R15 to 195/65R15. This has substantially increased my gc and it is good enough for the roads that I encounter.
I have a doubt in fitting higher profile tires. Can you tell me whether the tires touched the wheel wells when the car is loaded with 5 people and some luggage in the boot ?
Because, even i'm thinking of upgrading my stock tires as they've run almost 45k kms. If possible can you post a close up picture of the upgraded tires ?
Old 4th July 2012, 14:51   #70
h14
BHPian

No issues of scraping. Have done few trips with 5 adults and full boot. You can go for this size without worries.

There are few pics in my ownership log. Hope that will be of some help.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed the GC upgrade kit? If so, please let me know how it has affected handling. After going through the comments here, I believe most of them are concerned about the handling part if the GC is increased.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:35   #72
BHPian

I too have been searching for feedback after installing the GC upgrade kit. No one who has done it here?
Old 6th December 2012, 14:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
I too have been searching for feedback after installing the GC upgrade kit. No one who has done it here?
i got the GC upgrade kit done yesterday, following are my observations. Sorry i do not have before and after pic may be i can compare with somebody's 2011/2010 linea in Bangalore.
1. ppl at other forums reported steering feels light, i feel its pretty much the same, rather felt a little tighter.

2. a lot more feedback in the steering

3. as suspension is new car feels more comfortable but i feel its a little more stiff at the front now

Will do a long run test in few weeks and will then update this post.
Old 4th March 2013, 00:14   #74
BHPian

I just got back my Punto after 60k servicing and looks like there is some problem with the suspension and need to replace both.

Now, the service advisor advised me to go for the GC upgrade rather than replacing both suspension which would cost the same as GC upgrade. GC upgrade is 15k with labor charges. And it comes with suspensions... I asked him not to do anything right now, as i wasn't sure what to do..

So if i replace suspensions or do GC upgrade, its going to cost me same. I am confused.. Help here please
Old 4th March 2013, 17:02   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~ View Post
I just got back my Punto after 60k servicing and looks like there is some problem with the suspension and need to replace both.

Now, the service advisor advised me to go for the GC upgrade rather than replacing both suspension which would cost the same as GC upgrade. GC upgrade is 15k with labor charges. And it comes with suspensions... I asked him not to do anything right now, as i wasn't sure what to do..

So if i replace suspensions or do GC upgrade, its going to cost me same. I am confused.. Help here please
Its better you go for the GC kit rather than going for the replacement of front suspension studs. In GC kit i think all the four suspension studs will be changed. If the GC kit is the same price for the two studs then its better to go for the GC kit. In this way you can save the price of the back suspension studs.
harryms is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks