Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 14:47   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Moderator - I didnt find any similar thread to start with, please merge if found so.

Friends,

I thought this is hi time to a have a common thread reg the issues we faced/facing with Thar CRDe vehicles.

This thread can be a common platform for sharing ,solutions and a easy ref for all.

After completing 9025kms in my Thar crde, found sweating with lot of dirt accumulated near Air inflow pipe of thar .Given to ASC, got a reply that oil seprator has to be replaced.Work is in progress now.Promised a delivery back in one hours time.
Rajith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Is that the red intercooler/turbo pipe? I don't own a Thar, but my Scorpio CRDe's hose is also similar. When I mentioned it to MASS they said it is normal and nothing to worry. Some oil around this hose is normal and it accumulates dirt. I also noticed it to be similar in other scorpios. Same is the case with my Indigo and the TASS also said the same.

Is the oil/dirt too abnormal? do you have a pic?
asdfvinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 21:41   #3
BANNED

oil seprator was faulty and same was replaced in 1 hour time as promised by ASC.Found clean pipe now. Hope the issue is sorted out. Pics to be posted soon.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
oil seprator was faulty and same was replaced in 1 hour time as promised by ASC.Found clean pipe now. Hope the issue is sorted out. Pics to be posted soon.
Hi Rajith,

I just want to know if the the oil separator found somewhere along the: crank case ventilation, to the intake manifold? What is the status of the Air Filter?
Quote:
Pics to be posted soon.
Yes, Please.

Quote:
I thought this is hi time to a have a common thread reg the issues we faced/facing with Thar CRDe vehicles.
For a vehicle like Thar, wont having different dedicated thread's for each issue be more helpful in searching, and viewing?

Last edited by dhanushs : 27th March 2012 at 10:32.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Rajith, I just want to know if the the oil separator found somewhere along the: crank case ventilation, to the intake manifold?
Dear Dhanushs - the Thar CRDe uses the NEF engine of the Scorpio. The oil separator is same as Scorpio. It is made of plastic, it is black in color and it is situated on the top of the cylinder head cover. It is very much a part of the crankcase ventilation system.

Dear Rajith - thanks for starting this thread. It will consolidate things nicely. For the oil separator issue, even with everything OK and with no oil consumption between changes, you will still get minor wetness in the intake manifold, which can be ignored.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:20   #6
BHPian

For my thar, the coolent leak is still the same. No fix for this as yet.

Have been asked by the ASC to bring it and leave it for a week so they can take the entire engine apart - but am not too keen on that!

Coolent stays for a max of 5 days after which all the coolent in the reservoir is almost gone!

Any suggestions?
Old 27th March 2012, 15:38   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post

Have been asked by the ASC to bring it and leave it for a week so they can take the entire engine apart - but am not too keen on that!

Coolent stays for a max of 5 days after which all the coolent in the reservoir is almost gone!

Any suggestions?
Manas,
Your THAR was having a leakage in the radiator core and 2 lines where blocked.Surprised to know that the leakage is still live.Please take up with ASC and sort out the issue in your presence.There may be very minor to major reasons behind this. Dont delay.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manas - please tell the dealer to change the radiator cap. Chances are, your problem may disappear.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 16:01   #9
BHPian

Thanks Rajith and Behram sir.

Have changed the radiator cap and fixed the radiator issues...still happening. Am out of town and will be giving the Thar to the ASC when I return.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 27th March 2012, 21:26   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Is that the red intercooler/turbo pipe? I don't own a Thar, but my Scorpio CRDe's hose is also similar. When I mentioned it to MASS they said it is normal and nothing to worry. Some oil around this hose is normal and it accumulates dirt. I also noticed it to be similar in other scorpios. Same is the case with my Indigo and the TASS also said the same.

Is the oil/dirt too abnormal? do you have a pic?
Hi,
Mine is a black inlet pipe near the dust indicator where a tube is connected from cyliner head cover routed thru engine cover.No oil traces/dirt found in the Red pipe out let from Turbo twds the intercooler. Now all fine.

This is the second vehicle in my group (one THAR CRDe and another Bolero VLX) where we faced same problem.

Thanks BD sir.

Last edited by Rajith : 27th March 2012 at 21:27.
Old 20th August 2012, 14:23   #11
XD2
BHPian

Hi,

I took possession of a brand new Thar about two weeks back. Mine was jumping around even on the Gurgaon expressway at 80kph. Something seemed amiss. Compared my Thar with others and noticed the nose is actually way up. The gap between the wheels and the fender in the front and rear were equal.

I went thru the threads on the forum and understood that the torsion bar needs an adjustment. Went to the Mahindra A.S.S. yesterday. Firstly, they didnt understand what a torsion bar was, but they got it when I said 'it needs to dip a little'. Gave them the specifications that I found on the forum : 280mm +/- 5mm. And they were clueless what this specification was about.

What they did then was look around at another Thar, gauge the gap (counted in fingers - 11 fingers), adjusted the bolts and took it on a test ride. It listed a little to the left, a few more adjustments and it now seems fine.

Can someone please advise on the best approach I can take here.

I also did mention to them that a torsion bar adjustment would also imply re-alignment. They hooked the jeep to a alignment machine. The camber readings looked off to me, and the wheels displayed a noticeabe toe-in. I pointed it out, but the guys updated me that the toe-in is the norm on the vehicle.

Should I take my Thar for another wheel alignment in a non Mahindra facility?
XD2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 08:10   #12

I just did my first service:

1. Door lock had broken off; they charged by Rs 7 to replace it.

2. AC knobs never worked propoerly -- they had to tighten the nuts that hold the knobs.

3. Diesel tank would overflow and never trigger the auto shutoff mechanism of the pump. They spend a fair bit of time mulling over it. They undid and redi the hoses from the tank to the inlet. I have not had a chance to test it at a bunk. Please note that the shutoff problem occurred consistently in multuple pumps in various cities -- so the issue must be with the vehicle.

4. They lubricated the entire chassis -- Is see oil drips around my parking spot. I am pleased with how the vehicle handles bumps in the road...seems to ride much smoother.

Note: They had set the 4x4 High setting when I drove out and I never noticed it for the next 100kms over paved roads. It seemed the vehicle did not have the same response as before, but for that there was no other clue. Luckily I saw and disengaged the damn thing. Vehicle responds like a champ! I wish there was a 4x4 indicator on the dashboard :-(
jeep2thar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 20:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
hey manas,

did you figure out what the problem was with coolant leak? It's been a week i got my thar and i found today that the coolant tank is empty. Will take it to the service station tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 30th August 2012, 11:03   #14
BHPian

@ashishy -

There were 2 problems and got both fixed. First was the cap for the coolent box was replaced and the leaking came down. But there was still some leaks. We took out the radiator at the A.S.S and they found some small stones lodged in there and took it out and re-welded. This completely stopped the leaks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
hey manas,

did you figure out what the problem was with coolant leak? It's been a week i got my thar and i found today that the coolant tank is empty. Will take it to the service station tomorrow.

Thanks!
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 11:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
@ashishy -

There were 2 problems and got both fixed. First was the cap for the coolent box was replaced and the leaking came down. But there was still some leaks. We took out the radiator at the A.S.S and they found some small stones lodged in there and took it out and re-welded. This completely stopped the leaks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manas
Thanks Manas! There is a big possibility of the small stone problems with my Thar too. I do not have the insect mesh installed.

Most Viewed