Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 20:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Ask them to recheck the torsion bar, perhaps not set properly.
And get the front shockers checked any leaks in one of them on the left side ?
Old 9th July 2014, 19:55   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Moderator - I didnt find any similar thread to start with, please merge if found so.

Friends,

I thought this is hi time to a have a common thread reg the issues we faced/facing with Thar CRDe vehicles.

This thread can be a common platform for sharing ,solutions and a easy ref for all.
Dear Rajith,

I’m so glad to have found this thread (dunno how did I miss it earlier).

Thanx man.

God only knows what would a Thar owner do if we didn’t have Team BHP.
(Seriously guys - I SO MEAN IT…..!!!)

By the way has any of us ever compiled a list of the problems with Thar?
Old 13th July 2014, 10:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
One more alternative that you can think of is a second hand pajero. One of my colleague bought a 5 year old second hand 4x4. It does the job. If you read some of the excursions forums, they perform quite well and at times better than the jeeps on off road conditions.

As sjcherian and many others mentioned, it is a choice made not by plain reason. In my humble opinion, Thar as of now seems to be the only jeep that is available which doesn't burn a hole in a salaried person's pocket and a established network of service centres to take care of basic maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Take your time and go find a used Thar at a steal of a price. I did and have now driven it for 1 yr and 8 months now covering over 14K Kms and is my daily drive (do read my review thread for issues I faced).
However its not a head decision but a heart one - if you expect a Thar to be perfect you will never be happy !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
Gypsy King off the shelf - brand new and contrary to what anyone tells you, the one currently in production is Army Specs. I bought mine in Blore for 7.2 including road tax & insurance and no complaints. It's 18 months old and only part replaced in warranty is headlight assembly. Budget another 25k to trade in tyres and get All Terrain ones. Headlight tube upgrade from 65/55 and horn / relays. It's trouble free and the best service network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I am salaried person, I purchased my Thar CRDe Rocky Beige AC 1.2 yrs back and enjoying every moment with it. Yes there were some frustrating moments but that was my fault of expecting more than what it is offered/made for.

If you consider it as a Jeep and not a SUV then you are good to go with it for lifetime. I made my mind at the time of purchase, considered it a Jeep but then tried to modified it for comfort and failed , got frustrated and attempted to sell 2 times in ownership of just 14 months but only one thing pulled me back is emotional attachment my family and I have bound with it.

Believe me my Thar have zero issues compared to other main stream vehicles, I raised brake issue and they fixed it under warranty so I am happy with service as well. I open bonnet only ones or twice in months to check all fluids, other than that nothing needs personal attention.

I am paying hefty EMI for my Thar so totally understand your concern, my advice will be to get hold of good pre owned Thar CRDe around 6.5 L (6.5 was last good offer I got)

There is 50-50 chance of getting hold on good vehicle as there are two types of buyer, one who will use it for off-roading and other who will use just as other vehicle (which I do). So try to get well maintained vehicle from later category as there are lots of them in market. If you don't want to take chance and still want Thar you know the option.

Hope my experience will help you in your selection process.

Thanks,
Vishal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Hi Shireesh,

I would not completely agree with your comment on absolute disaster. So far, my Thar CRDe has completed close to 22000 kms on its ODO. I have participating in many Major Offroading events too. So far other than brakes upgrade, I haven't had any major troublesome issue with my Thar. I have i20 CRDE as well, but Thar has been my Daily drive.

I have not had any issues in driving to Leh. I just got once serviced in Srinagar. That's it. I came back without any issues.

I would take the privilege to say so, because I did Bangalore - Leh

Check out this thread: 7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3230645

Coming to your Bangkok road trip. The drive is possible as I have done this route. I can help you with route planning if you need any assistance. The Major Bottleneck is Nagaland (The ROADS are unpredictable). Every year atleast for 4 months there are NO ROADS literally. You need ARMY support during your traverse through Arunachal/Nagaland, without which it's IMPOSSIBLE.

BURMA is another major issue. The DRUG Cartels (I can tell you why). These guys should be a concern for you as their army is larger than Burmese army itself. Getting permits is not an easy task AT ALL.

Attached is the route map I had been on. While returning I did ship my vehicle back to Chennai through container and flew back to Bangalore from Singapore.

Attachment 1221228

You can ping me anytime for details, as posting here would not be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hey,
Selling Polo and buying Thar is not good decision at all. Not sure if you have another family vehicle in garage or not so I think you should keep one family vehicle and then Thar as second vehicle in garage.

I did same while buying my Thar, I have Estilo for family stuffs and use Thar for recreational purpose only.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avigo71 View Post
Hi there,
I strongly advice you to NOT buy a second hand Thar. The new version (post September 2013) is far far superior to the ones available in the second hand market. If you are not in a hurry then wait for the new upgraded one which I believe will be available sometime this year. And any which way to buy a second hand off Roader is just an invitation to innumerable problems on all fronts.

I am a huge fan of the Thar and and also agree that Mahindra has not done a great job in fineness or after sales in most places. But If you are in mumbai, I definitely swear by NBS Reay road (mr. Sudhir Karkal).

I am just back from a gruelling mumbai ,Chandigarh, Mukhtsar, Chandigarh, Simla, Narkhanda, Chandigarh , Rishikesh, Agra, Jaipur, Mumbai journey! I did nothing but fill diesel on the entire trip. Over here I unfortunately agree that with Mahindra, you should just be a bit lucky with your fortunes. A Toyota, Hyundai, Maruti etc are statistically more safe 'to not break down'. I philosophically suggest to pray hard and take any journey. Nothing will go wrong! Otherwise , there is a saying in "Oneness" ( my spiritual University), that " What you fear is what you get!"

Having said all this I do not think that the Thar should be your only vehicle unless you are a bachelor. If at all you still want it to be your only vehicle then please check my posts in the "Hard top" & other threads. If you do up the Thar is this way then it really is a different ball game.

I don't know what your budget is , but buying the new Scorpio 4x4 ( to be launched soon) and then doing it up in a brute way from Mahindra Customisation is not a bad idea at all! It will take all the rough with the smooth that Indian roads have to offer..

Hi,

Apologies for the long multi-quote, however, I wanted to let each of you know that I finally bought the bullet. Against some of your advice I did eventually pick up a well-loved Thar (Flying Monk) from Bangalore belonging to a fellow BHPian.

The last 10 days of driving the beast I have absolutely loved. It pulls like crazy and is so unsteady it is absolutely hairy!!

Functionality as anything beyond a 2 seater is non-existent for long drives. But my kids love piling into the back bench seats and having a nap during short joy rides.

I am using it as my daily ride and I will defend this argument with anybody who says it cannot be used as a daily ride. Yes its not as smooth, the ride is bumpy, the gears are sticky - but who cares? From that commanding height (it has one of the tallest seating I could observe) and the stance it definitely commands respect and great fun to run about town in.

The speed is what seems to catch people by surprise after they see the massive tyres pull up to their side window and then take-off when the lights turn green.

I have even managed to convince my wife to drive this to work on two occasions!

I do have to thank the seller for spending a lot of time and effort on this vehicle and getting it to the condition it is in with all the mods et al.

Will post some pics soon.
Shireesh
shireeshjacobs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 10:49   #124
BHPian

All the best my friend..
Old 13th July 2014, 13:22   #125
BHPian

Quote:
The Torsion Bar setting for sure. It's a make or break between a disastrously hard drive & a comfortable one! The PDI team may not be qualified to do it. As I suggest to everyone in Mumbai, get in touch with Mr. Sudhir Karkal at NBS Reay road workshop. He will get the needful done.
Thanks Avigo. your suggestion is ... just take it to get the most comfortable ride. Question would this change one the additional load of the hard top comes on.?

Dear all,

Happy to state that I visited the Thar in the Yard, my unit has come with the following Brake Booster Part No 0607AAB01751N, I am told by the workshop guys that this is the new improved version and we need not do any more Upgrades.

Is this understanding correct.?

Wondering how to catch Mr. Behram Dhabhar's attention for his comments.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2014, 13:49   #126
BHPian

The hard top weight does not matter. You should ideally get the torsion bar setting & wheel alignment only after all fitments are done.
PS: Carbon Leaf Suspension are a must for the Thar!
Old 13th July 2014, 14:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Thanks Avigo. your suggestion is ... just take it to get the most comfortable ride. Question would this change one the additional load of the hard top comes on.?

Dear all,

Happy to state that I visited the Thar in the Yard, my unit has come with the following Brake Booster Part No 0607AAB01751N, I am told by the workshop guys that this is the new improved version and we need not do any more Upgrades.

Is this understanding correct.?

Wondering how to catch Mr. Behram Dhabhar's attention for his comments.

Cheers
A larger vacuum tank may be still required as the tandem booster might run out of boost under repeated hard braking in downhill scenarios. If i remember correctly, this was a modification Mr. Dhabhar has repeatedly suggested even in Thars equipped with the tandem booster.

Coming to the ride quality, many forumers report that CFLs increase body roll significantly and that the Hyderabad "Janniah" double D leaf springs are a better choice.

Both the suggestions are purely based on hearsay from fellow forumers. So, I hope they'd chip in and guide you better.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th July 2014, 12:35   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best my friend..
This laconic response needs a little more elaboration!
Was this with sarcasm/concern/general well wishing/anything else?
Old 14th July 2014, 13:09   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
This laconic response needs a little more elaboration!
Was this with sarcasm/concern/general well wishing/anything else?

That's a funny response to my statement !! But I do understand it.
Ok here's the explanation:
It was a simple "best wishes" situation for something new that has been bought after a lot of thinking. Nothing more than that!
Now that I have been probed and made answerable (just joking!), I will also share a slight undercurrent in my message.... It's just a bit of a disappointment that there is one potential Thar owner less on the Indian roads !!
Old 17th July 2014, 12:24   #130
BHPian

Quote:
The hard top weight does not matter. You should ideally get the torsion bar setting & wheel alignment only after all fitments are done.
PS: Carbon Leaf Suspension are a must for the Thar!
Wanted to share an update from my experience. Got a front and rear light grilles installed from the accessories desk at the Showroom. Now facing a rusting issue and since they are drilled onto the body, had to get a small paintjob done on the body as well The workshop manager has now advised against such fitments (Surprising then why are they sold in the first place).

So, please be careful while getting accessories fitted on the Thar
confused_soul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 18:13   #131
BHPian

Hey guys,

Noticed a couple of loose plugs in my Thar.

The ASC has no clue.

Kindly refer to the pics and advice.

1. The first plug is lying idle next to the hand brake, with no socket in sight.

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-20140718_162410.jpg

2. The second one is below/behind the glove box. There is a socket visible there but haven’t plugged it in as I wasn’t sure what its for.

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-20140719-19.48.47.jpg

Please help.
Thanx.
NamoJain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:48   #132
BHPian

The first one is for the seat-belt warning light, there is a light in the instrument binnacle, but not connected! Not is there a provision in the seat-belt clip to connect the socket!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 21:43   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
The first one is for the seat-belt warning light, there is a light in the instrument binnacle, but not connected! Not is there a provision in the seat-belt clip to connect the socket!
Thanx for the help,
Does this mean, that if I replace the front seats with that of Innova then this feature can be made use of?

Thanx.
Old 28th July 2014, 16:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

Just leave it there, the wire harness used is common with other Mahindra vehicles ( Bolero Models ) do not worry I have tested with a multimeter to take power for a GPS unit and radio unit ( Walkie Talkie ) there is no current there. Therefore I installed a 12 V lighter socket in the central panel of the dash from a connection left idle for stero units.

You will find more inside the dashboard. They can be put to use later. Just push it under the mat.

Last edited by desertfox : 28th July 2014 at 16:53.
Old 6th August 2014, 14:37   #135
BHPian

Well, it is not that I was aware of all niggles and issues with the Thar, but what hit me was completely out of the blue.

June 10th, while recuperating from an accident and surgery, I started planning for the future now that the Baleno (shown in my profile pic) was a write off. I paid the booking amount to the Dealer in Thane and was looking forward to another feather in my midlife crisis cap.

I was promised a free Undercoating for the vehicle and additional plastic mats, as a part of the dealer good will. The Undercoating was provided but the Mats are missing.

Incident 0 : Diamond White as a color not available on Thar CRDE, dealer not willing to accept booking for Diamond White.. I lose a lot of days on this debate.

Incident 1 : The Sales Person who comes to collect the booking cheque wants to know if want a CRDe or a DI vehicle, after I confirm that it is Bombay registration next question is do you want a 4x4 or a 2x4.

The Sales staff do not know what they are selling, sorry in this case what the customer is buying.

As I work with a large IT MNC, I was offered a Rs. 6000/- rebate on the overall costs.

Incident 2 : No immediate delivery available, after a lot of pushing first date promised was 8th August. The dealer promises a lot, but cannot deliver.

After some help from the forum members and Mr. Mahindra's office, the vehicle was finally billed on 01 July to the dealer. Again when will the vehicle land, the dealer has no clue.

Incident 3 : Again with some help from right people at the right time, the vehicle finally lands in Bombay on 12th July, reason for delay transport no available transport from Nashik to Bombay. I believe a total of 6 units are needed for a truck to be booked.

Incident 4 : The unit is readied for delivery on 27th July after completing all RTO formalities. I am handed over a bunch of papers, including Insurance RTO Tax Paid and Octroi paid.

Dealer hands over the vehicle with barely 2 lts of Diesel, (as the vehicle had to go to RTO in worli) the factory provided 10 lts of diesel is over. I am given only 4 wheel caps. There is a debate going on with the Dealer ship guys now on weather the vehicle comes with 4 wheel caps or 5 wheel caps.

Incident 5 : A Happy man drives home the new Thar all the while limping on crutches, since I am still recuperating post surgery.

Now the fun starts,

For most IT Folks, a Spread Sheet is at the core of everything, this is where most problems begin and end. So I started putting together a detailed s/sheet to compute my finance and other costs.

To my surprise, from what the dealer has provided me with receipts to what is the expense actually incurred, there is a difference of over 33K.

Discrepancies to be noted are
1. The insurance costs, Cover note with Zero Dep = 22K, whereas I was charged 32K+5.6K for insurance + Zero Dep.
2. The Corporate Rebate promised is not applied, now I am told that it is subject to approval, the dealer is not willing to disclose, whose approval is required for the corporate discount.
3. A difference of around 6935/- in the amount paid for registration to the receipts received
4. A difference of around 4505/- in the amount paid for overall Basic Cost + Octroi to the receipts received

I am trying my best to get the attention of some senior person at M&M in this, but they all seemed to be happy till the time the unit has been handed over to the poor customer.

when I look at the over all experience, it appears to me that WE the customers are buying the THAR and that Mahindra is not selling any. After paying the money and getting the unit, not as per design (surely meets CMVR guidelines) the fact that everything has to work or will work is purely based on one's luck and not as per the corporate's policy.

Happy motoring to me!

Last edited by shivshanker : 6th August 2014 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks