Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 12:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

By the way...had a 'nice' surprise the other day.

Picked up my Thar from service, and as the advisor was delivering the car to the gate (with me in the passenger seat), he pulls the handbrake and the lever comes off in his hand!

Just another example of the shoddy workmanship of the Thar. I have had handbrake issues from the beginning and it barely works. I end up putting a stone under the tyre in most places (I carry the stone in the back with me wherever I go).

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
hey manas,

did you figure out what the problem was with coolant leak? It's been a week i got my thar and i found today that the coolant tank is empty. Will take it to the service station tomorrow.

Thanks!
Got the coolant leak rectified. It was leaking from the thermostat ring. They replaced it for Rs. 16/- Did 1400 kms Hyd-Bom-Hyd trip after that and no more issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
By the way...had a 'nice' surprise the other day.

Picked up my Thar from service, and as the advisor was delivering the car to the gate (with me in the passenger seat), he pulls the handbrake and the lever comes off in his hand!

Just another example of the shoddy workmanship of the Thar. I have had handbrake issues from the beginning and it barely works. I end up putting a stone under the tyre in most places (I carry the stone in the back with me wherever I go).

Regards,
Manas
My handbrake wire had snapped too. Got it rectified under warranty. Works better now than when it was delivered. But still can't hold the weight of the car on a slope. Have to put the car on 1st or reverse gear always.
ashishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 08:07   #18

I have been owning a Thar CRDE for almost 8 months now with 8200 kms done. I have faced these similar issues of oil entering the Air cleaner, Intercooler and the connecting hose pipes. Oil seperator valve was first changed under warranty but the problem stayed. The ASC then removed the turbo and sent the same to Bosch Service centre for inspection. I have been told that the turbo was fine except that they have changed the Oil seals. The ASC broke one of the the studs on which the turbo is mounted and hence I was billed for some machine shop charges. I have also been facing higher coolant consumption issues since quite some time now. Radiator cap is replaced but no difference. There are no traces of leakage anywhere on the radiator or on the connecting hoses. It is currently under observation by the ASC and I need to report if there is a major drop in the coolant level. Hand brakes in thar........they never have worked and I guess they would never work. It looks like the handbrake has been provided just to satisfy ARAI/CMVR norms and not for the end users. Cable has been replaced under warranty, worked fine for a few days and then back to square one. In my 8 months of ownership, my thar has rested in the ASC for close to 1.5 months. My only worry is that one the warranty period ends, I will have to create a Thar repair fund.
shetsanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 11:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetsanju View Post
My only worry is that one the warranty period ends, I will have to create a Thar repair fund.
Completely agree with you. No option of extended warranty too.
Old 4th September 2012, 22:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Completely agree with you. No option of extended warranty too.
I happened to hear it from one of the service advisors at the ASC the other day about the extended warranty for thar. I felt it was a loose statement without being completely aware of the same. Nevertheless we could cross check once again.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:11   #21
BHPian

Hi All,

Just did a Blr - Chikmaglur - Blr trip over the weekend. The Thar performed OK. Mileage calculated to be 11.22 for the entire trip.

Some questions-
1. When driving on the highway, the RPM meter is at 3k from 100kmph onwards. Is that normal? The engine sounds really loud and RPM is at 3.5k at 110kmph.

2. I am also looking at sound damping the floor of the vehicle. Any suggestions? I looked at dynamat for the entire floor but that is just really expensive. Another option I had spoken to BlackRaven about a long time ago was spray bed liner. Don't know if others have done it or not but am interested in looking at it. I am also getting quotes for industrial rubber sheet cut into dimensions to fit on the floor and then placing the carpet on top of it. I will also dynamat the in-cabin firewall area to cut engine noise.

3. Lots of wind noise from around the front door/windows. Have any of you replaced beading? Looks like I am going to have to.

4. Still no improvement on the handbrake, never really works. Any suggestions? Can I replace this with a Scorpio brake?

There is no extended warranty for the Thar. Even my ASC mentioned it and I made them check, but there is nothing. So, now my Thar is out of warranty, here come engine mods over the next few months.

Regards,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 5th September 2012 at 12:13.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 11:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm
Hi All,

Just did a Blr - Chikmaglur - Blr trip over the weekend. The Thar performed OK. Mileage calculated to be 11.22 for the entire trip.
========
There is no extended warranty for the Thar. Even my ASC mentioned it and I made them check, but there is nothing. So, now my Thar is out of warranty, here come engine mods over the next few months.

Regards,
Manas
Dear Manas

You can try Rockwool insulation rolls and mattresses which provide thermal and acoustic insulation. These are normally used for building and HVAC applications. http://www.rockwoolindia.com/buildingrolls.html is the link to their website.

Warm Regards

Mohan
Mohan P Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 21:40   #23
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
@ashishy -

There were 2 problems and got both fixed. First was the cap for the coolent box was replaced and the leaking came down. But there was still some leaks. We took out the radiator at the A.S.S and they found some small stones lodged in there and took it out and re-welded. This completely stopped the leaks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manas
Seems I have this coolant issue on my month old Thar as well. Just checked today and the coolant was near empty. Topped it up for now. Will get this fixed with the 5k service. I already have your suggestions to aid
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:38   #24
BHPian

Hi,
The owner is a Friend from a fishing forum.

http://www.facebook.com/DisasThar
Old 5th October 2012, 14:10   #25
BHPian

I recently owned THAR. Mid Sept'12.
I found coolant level reduces drastically. ASC unable to identify yet.
Further I found vehicle is tilted towards left side seeing from front.
Old 13th October 2012, 15:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle
I recently owned THAR. Mid Sept'12.
I found coolant level reduces drastically. ASC unable to identify yet.
Further I found vehicle is tilted towards left side seeing from front.
Today I have been to ASC.
They could not identify coolant leakage. As per them it is because of breathing issue. Evaporation of coolant is more. And I have to live with it.

Further regarding tilt of vehicle again they are not able to rectify. They tried to say you drive as it is. There will not be any issue.

I am confused. What shall I do. Shall I accept therevargument or shall I pursue thix matter furthrr with Mahindra.

I have not yet collected my vehicle from ASC.

Need suggestions & help.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post

I am confused. What shall I do. Shall I accept their argument or shall I pursue this matter further with Mahindra.
Do not accept if you are not satisfied. You have paid a good amount of money for the car. Contact Mahindra if the dealer's answers are not satisfactory.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:24   #28
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
... Further I found vehicle is tilted towards left side seeing from front.
IMO, the tilt can be adjusted by the torsion bar adjustment. Last I checked, the ASCs here were a little clueless about that. But they did understand the adjustment to make the nose go up/down.

You may want to get that checked.

P.S., I am a newbiew myself. Just ran into this issue with my Thar.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:47   #29
BHPian

Guys! I also own a Thar and face similar issues.

With coolant, it seems like the loss isn't as much as most of you have experienced, but I still need to top it up at least once a month, say with running of 800 to 1000 kms. Is this normal?

Seems like the quality control is non-existent! Off late, many have started to complain about things going wrong with the vehicle. DisasThar on facebook is a clincher!

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 17th October 2012 at 15:48. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 17th October 2012, 18:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid
Guys! I also own a Thar and face similar issues.

With coolant, it seems like the loss isn't as much as most of you have experienced, but I still need to top it up at least once a month, say with running of 800 to 1000 kms. Is this normal?

Seems like the quality control is non-existent! Off late, many have started to complain about things going wrong with the vehicle. DisasThar on facebook is a clincher!
My thar coolant need to replace at 450 km or so, though my thar had run only 850 kms. And now I am convinced that there is no leakage; coolant reduction is either at radiator cap or reservior cap.

Lets hope for the best.

Inspite of these issues I love my thar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks