Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 11:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anda60213 View Post
It's always a question to ponder on whether one gives up too early - be it cars or be it any other relationship. For me, if I pay 8 lacs of my hard earned money (which did not come easily to me) - I expect basic functions to be defect free. Which sadly was not the case. And then I was living in the constant doubt and fear as to what will fall next. What if the engine fell off, or the gearbox fell off or the axle collapsed because some bolts were not fitted properly After that the damage would have been even more and my resale value would have gone down even further. So I looked around for a buyer and found a reasonable deal and sold it. I am nto sure I can PM.
I don't know if this would help you feel any better; now that you have sold the vehicle. There are two aspects to this.

1. I have had the pleasure of driving the Thar from Mumbai to Shillong and back, covering a distance of 9000kms just after taking the delivery of the vehicle (2011-Dec); should I be precise - it was exactly a week after! I had asked BD about taking a new vehicle for a long haul and his reply was "drive it straight from the showroom for 1000kms if you so desire". I did exactly that and nothing ever happened. Lucky me, I think!

2. About your niggling issues; you are not the only one, my friend. Experts can throw some light here. I was at Rhey Road service centre recently; met about 3 new Thar owners and all of them had similar issues as you, which makes me wonder if Mahindra's quality is to be questioned for newly produced vehicles. I totally agree on lack of well-trained service people at ASC.

Let's hope you find some "driving" peace in another brand. Did you hear about the Wranglers being tested across the country?
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:35   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
you are not the only one, my friend. Experts can throw some light here. I was at Rhey Road service centre recently; met about 3 new Thar owners and all of them had similar issues as you, which makes me wonder if Mahindra's quality is to be questioned for newly produced vehicles. I totally agree on lack of well-trained service people at ASC.

Let's hope you find some "driving" peace in another brand. Did you hear about the Wranglers being tested across the country?
Well, the fact that others are suffering the same fate as mine is not a consolation. It only saddens me further that a vehicle which holds so much promise is not meeting up to that promise nor is it holding up to the value of its manufacturers brand name and footprint.

I had spoken to BD several times and his sympathetic advice was - enjoy the driving pleasure and ignore the problems if you can, to enjoy this vehicle. But the bolts falling off from structural components of the vehicle (overhead frame joined to the B pillar) is too much to ignore for me.

The Jeep wrangler will be a truly welcome entry into India. I suspect it will come at a price point which is quite high - but then for those who have the money and also care for reliability - it will be worth it I guess.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Wrangler is coming but not a substitute to Thar, there will be a huge difference in price. A diesle engine 4 cylinder Wrangler will not be launched in India for anything less than 14 to 16 Lakhs. Maybe closer to 20 if it is big muscled.
Old 29th April 2013, 19:55   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Jeep Wrangler is coming but not a substitute to Thar, there will be a huge difference in price. A diesle engine 4 cylinder Wrangler will not be launched in India for anything less than 14 to 16 Lakhs. Maybe closer to 20 if it is big muscled.
Absolutely correct. One can compare both the vehicles only technically. The difference in price will be a gap of gulf.
Old 29th April 2013, 20:33   #65
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anda60213 View Post
With a sad and heavy heart and lot of frustration, I had sell off my Thar due to the lit of problems that kept occurring on an almost daily basis.
vehicle stalled leaving me stranded on the road.

e) On a daily basis I have found nuts and bolts falling in into the vehicle compartment leaving me to wonder where these are falling from and what next will fall apart.
I decided to sell it (just after 3 months of purchase) before deteriorated further.
Good & timely decision Vehicle stalling in the middle of the road, leaving stranded, nuts-bolts falling, etc. are totally unacceptable in a vehicle belonging to this era.

What else could be the result of a half/semi baked conceived & developed & implemented product. Similar thoughts have kept me away from buying this vehicle since launch.

If its some consolation, you completely forgot the "safety" part, this is perhaps the most unsafe vehicle on Indian roads after maybe Tata Ace, Maruti Omni & company! Thus you did good by saving your own nut-bolts from falling !
Old 29th April 2013, 21:16   #66
BHPian

If its' Jeep Wrangler and if it's diesel - 20 lacs will be worth it.
Old 1st May 2013, 15:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well a Jeep wrangler will be a great vehicle, but a diesel version hardly exists. I have seen some 2.7 litre 4 cyl in line versions, I have seen a special 2 door stretch version brought in by some Canadians before the JK and Unlimited were launched byt never heard of a Diesel Wrangler yet.

I dont think I will have the heart to take a 20 L car off road, but India is such a diverse place. I have seen people off roading with my group in BMW X 5, Porche Cayane SS, Prados, Landcruisers on tracks full of mud banks, boulders lined with acacia thorn bushes, and in my life I have also seen people climbing dunes with top of the line Range Rovers, AMG G 55, Lexus 570 and 470, G 55 Chassis built luxury Sabarro costing some 2 Crores, Unimogs, Tatras, Mercedese E 230 converted to 4WD! Strange is the call of the wild off road!
Old 27th May 2013, 17:33   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]
Dear DB sir,

Please see the below pics of the THAR CRDe chasis (Photos are from jaskis Thar CRDe where he converted IFS to SOLID AXLE).The chasis height has been considerably reduced towards front.Please explain the reason behind this and how to fix a RCBT power steering on this frame.

regards,
Rajith.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-thar-front-mounting-1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-thar-front-mounting.jpg  

Last edited by Rajith : 27th May 2013 at 17:36.
Old 27th October 2013, 17:21   #69
BHPian

Hey Guys need urgent help
My friends 2 month old 5000km driven Thar is refusing to start at first he thought that there is no fuel in the car so he put 5ltrs of diesel & removed the air by pumping but it has refused to start!
The car has completed its first service last week itself.I suspect the A.S.S. guys did something wrong.
Have checked battery & everything but something else is amiss.
The starter is working.
Need help urgently as he is stranded on the outskirts of mumbai
Old 27th October 2013, 17:34   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey Guys need urgent help
My friends 2 month old 5000km driven Thar is refusing to start at first he thought that there is no fuel in the car so he put 5ltrs of diesel & removed the air by pumping but it has refused to start!
The car has completed its first service last week itself.I suspect the A.S.S. guys did something wrong.
Have checked battery & everything but something else is amiss.
The starter is working.
Need help urgently as he is stranded on the outskirts of mumbai
How jeep engine stopped?.
Old 27th October 2013, 17:43   #71
BHPian

hi thanks for answering
the engine stopped as it ran out of fuel,because the fuel needle has not been working since yesturday.

Last edited by dean5545 : 27th October 2013 at 17:45.
Old 27th October 2013, 18:23   #72
BANNED

Quote:
hi thanks for answering
the engine stopped as it ran out of fuel,because the fuel needle has not been working since yesturday.
Ohh.just open the kicker knob with ign key on and pumb till load.it will start.
Old 27th October 2013, 18:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Ohh.just open the kicker knob with ign key on and pumb till load.it will start.
If you are trying to tell me to extract air out of the fuel line then I have already tried it.
Old 27th October 2013, 18:36   #74
BANNED

Quote:

If you are trying to tell me to extract air out of the fuel line then I have already tried it.
Try to load feed pumb and do engine crank simultaneously with help of another person.Still no success then need to remove engine top cover and remove air thru nozzles.It will start.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 07:28   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Try to load feed pumb and do engine crank simultaneously with help of another person.Still no success then need to remove engine top cover and remove air thru nozzles.It will start.
Apparently the issue is something else.The car started somehow but stalled many times while returning home.Will have to check what else is causing a problem.

Can Anyone suggest a competent Mahindra service centre in Mumbai
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks