Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 19:09   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
Below the steering wheel. Open the plastic panel using screwdriver. Somewhere fuse box will be there.
i went to get a blown fuse replaced and the car shop guy started opening unscrewing the panel below the steering and he said it will take 10-15 Minutes to do so. But i had to Reach somewhere so i asked him that i will get it done later.

but i was wondering if fuse box is near steering, what is the black box in right corner (when we pop the hood open)?
Not sure about the Thar but in a Scorpio different fuses are located in 3 locations, under the hood, behind the steering panel and behind the glove box. I suppose the same would be the case for the Thar.
Old 1st March 2015, 23:23   #197

The fuse box is on the right hand side below the steering column. You can reach it without unscrewing any screws. Just look underneath and you would locate it easily.
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:22   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Can you let me know the place where you did the upholstery work. I am looking for some place that can do my seats for the Scorpio, I have a slightly different plan though

Please let me know if you need more information. Total cost Rs. 4000 for both seats.

Swami
[/quote]

Hi, I got my Thar seats done at Mehra Brothers, an old shop just opp to Ehrlich Laboratories in Balaji Nagar, Royapettah.

Swami
Old 20th March 2015, 18:25   #199
BANNED

Has anyone encountered a situation where paint quality has deteriorated within four months?
the paint in the area above my right fender has chipped off and this is when i have not faced any accident!!!

the kind of quality is unacceptable. I will be visiting my dealer next week.

any clues what might have caused it??

also the doors and hood have become bit rough over these 4 Months!
- Should i get it rubbed and a layer of gloss protection painted??
or
- Should i get it covered with 3m vinyls? Transparent vinyl over whole body?

Last edited by sukhi29 : 20th March 2015 at 18:27.
Old 20th March 2015, 21:42   #200

@Sukhi29 paint chipping off should be absolutely unacceptable. I shall be uplinking some photos of my minor cribs soon. Though thankfully I havent faced any paint issues so far. Are you sure this isn't some notorious kid in your colony?

My 3 month report of my thar is as follows.

1. ) though minor but it is very irritating to hear sonething constantly knocking from under the front tyres. It jusy wouldn't go. Have tried twice with the mahindra guys. Next i will sit on their head and get it done coz dropping the vehicle with them obviously hasn't helped.

2.) Strange creepy sounds come and go from the dashboard. As long as it disappeared, i have no issues with it.

3. ) suspect thaylt my coolant is drying up faster than it should. I have already topped it up with distilled water once. Its fast approaching the half mark.

4.) There's one place close to the fender where my red paint is slightly light. It was not as bad on delivery but now there is a white powdery residue over it. Very mild thats why calling them minor cribs
Old 21st March 2015, 00:53   #201
BANNED

@Sanket.u

brother people stay away from our cars because we have earned this reputation of sorts that our family is always ready for a fight!! I have heard people ask their kids to stay away from jeep.

other problems:

- weird sounds all around the vehicle especially from rear door (tyre mount)
- Front Bumper Left side screw needs to be tightened everyday!
- clear coat on doors is getting scratched as a result of dirt & Stones thrown by wider tyres
- No accident, no dent, but paint chipping off the right fender!!
- Seats are lacking comfort, back ache :( Need new seats

but

- it grabs more eyeballs than a hot girl!
- Road presence
- People dare not mess or act smart near a thar
- Spacious
Old 21st March 2015, 08:48   #202
BHPian

Please ensure to resolve all your THAR issues till it is under warranty. Try all possible means to get it done. Once out of warranty both Mahindra & ASC will simply raise their hands.
Also my experience with ASC is very poor. Expertise & workmanship very bad as far as Thar is concerned, atleast here in Pune. Witness every work carried out.
Do not neglect abnormal sound coming from underbody. Get it fixed ASAP
Old 21st March 2015, 16:31   #203

I am facing this particular rattling from the gear box housing where when I remove the 4x4 shaft the rattling voice vanishes. Due to this the whole car vibrates till 100kmph and when I cross 110kmph it goes away. I finally have removed the shaft and there is no voice and rattling and the agency tells me to get the gear opened up to check the problem. What would the problem be? Anyone?

Another concern I have is that is there are hardly any brakes in my Thar, I have a 2010 CRDe and when ever i have to brake i have to shift the gear down to help the engine brake the speed down. I had jammed my brakes to test it at about 70kmph it almost took about 50 meters to stop which was funny but then I am used to it now.
Does the new Thar have better brakes?

Last edited by manson : 21st March 2015 at 19:18. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:28   #204

Quote:
Has anyone encountered a situation where paint quality has deteriorated within four months?
the paint in the area above my right fender has chipped off and this is when i have not faced any accident!!!

the kind of quality is unacceptable. I will be visiting my dealer next week.

any clues what might have caused it??

also the doors and hood have become bit rough over these 4 Months!
- Should i get it rubbed and a layer of gloss protection painted??
or
- Should i get it covered with 3m vinyls? Transparent vinyl over whole body?
Define chip off please. Paint chip are generally a result of some sharp objects with some amount of velocity hitting the painted surface. I presume the problem you are facing is because of stone hits and fenders, hood etc are very susceptible areas.

The painted surface getting rough is quite common with usage and is because of contaminants sticking to it. A good rubbing polish should work and paint protection using sealants is must.

Transparent vinyls from 3M are called Paint Protection Films (PPF) and are very expensive to get your vehicle wrapped. PPF itself is not fool proof as it can be very tricky to apply them especially over thar with all the bolts and nuts protruding out. It can peel off very easily and also get oxidized over time. An expensive wrap on a off-roader is not a sensible financial decision.
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:37   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
@Sukhi29 paint chipping off should be absolutely unacceptable. I shall be uplinking some photos of my minor cribs soon. Though thankfully I havent faced any paint issues so far. Are you sure this isn't some notorious kid in your colony?

My 3 month report of my thar is as follows.

1. ) though minor but it is very irritating to hear sonething constantly knocking from under the front tyres. It jusy wouldn't go. Have tried twice with the mahindra guys. Next i will sit on their head and get it done coz dropping the vehicle with them obviously hasn't helped.

2.) Strange creepy sounds come and go from the dashboard. As long as it disappeared, i have no issues with it.

3. ) suspect thaylt my coolant is drying up faster than it should. I have already topped it up with distilled water once. Its fast approaching the half mark.

4.) There's one place close to the fender where my red paint is slightly light. It was not as bad on delivery but now there is a white powdery residue over it. Very mild thats why calling them minor cribs
1) Sound from underbody - get it checked with ASC please

2)Creepy sounds from the dashboard - quite common if you accept Thar as a Jeep and not a car. However the new thar with a all new dashboard is expected in a couple of months and hopefully it stop many negative criticisms.

3) Coolant drying up soon - Very common problem in thar crde. Try changing the radiator cap first as it is a common culprit. If problem persists, ask ASC to check all hoses. This problem can be a persistent issue

4) Looks like a bad polishing job done and the paint is cut due to excessive rubbing. The white powdery residue looks like the rubbing compound not cleaned off
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:44   #206

Quote:
@Sanket.u

brother people stay away from our cars because we have earned this reputation of sorts that our family is always ready for a fight!! I have heard people ask their kids to stay away from jeep.

other problems:

- weird sounds all around the vehicle especially from rear door (tyre mount)
- Front Bumper Left side screw needs to be tightened everyday!
- clear coat on doors is getting scratched as a result of dirt & Stones thrown by wider tyres
- No accident, no dent, but paint chipping off the right fender!!
- Seats are lacking comfort, back ache :( Need new seats

but

- it grabs more eyeballs than a hot girl!
- Road presence
- People dare not mess or act smart near a thar
- Spacious
If it does not rattle, it is not a jeep. Sell it and buy yourself a nice car

Don't blame the paint quality for your wider tyres. Please get wider flares fixed on the wheel arches to counter the negative impact of wider tyres

Clear coat scratches can be eliminated with a rubbing polish

Thar crde seats are pretty good compared to Thar DI. Nevertheless there are good ones available in the second hand market. pick the one you like.

CONS......you answered them all and that is what it makes us drive a Thar. Don't complain and crib, accept the thar as a Jeep and you will be happy.
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:47   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsh3r View Post
I am facing this particular rattling from the gear box housing where when I remove the 4x4 shaft the rattling voice vanishes. Due to this the whole car vibrates till 100kmph and when I cross 110kmph it goes away. I finally have removed the shaft and there is no voice and rattling and the agency tells me to get the gear opened up to check the problem. What would the problem be? Anyone?

Another concern I have is that is there are hardly any brakes in my Thar, I have a 2010 CRDe and when ever i have to brake i have to shift the gear down to help the engine brake the speed down. I had jammed my brakes to test it at about 70kmph it almost took about 50 meters to stop which was funny but then I am used to it now.
Does the new Thar have better brakes?
Looks like the Transfer case lever is touching the body. Don't need to open the gearbox to address this.

Yes, the newer thars have better brakes, You need to go for an upgrade to address this issue. Talk to the ASC and see if you can get a free upgrade as it is a safety issue.
shetsanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:46   #208
BHPian

Does anybody have the part number for the following with ref to year ad referenced by Mr.Behram

Bolero VLX fuel tank protection plate
Bolero VLX Sump Plate
Scorpio M2DI Lower Flexible clutch hose
Scorpio M2DI banjo bolt
Scorpio M2DI brass washers

I checked up with the ASS and they were clueless and asked for Model No/Year/Part Number for them to provide the same

Thanks for the help

Vinay
Old 24th March 2015, 07:25   #209

Now this is one bit that annoys me no end. Why should it be acceptable to thar owners that screws and nuts and bolts should keep falling. I can accept a lot of anomalies as the JeepThing, but this certainly is unacceptable. This one fell off from behind the dash board - this one is crucial as it supports one of the two bars supporting the lower part of the instrument cluster. Notice how the screw is shaped. I am now thinking of supporting with a nut from behind. As of now, there is absolutely no support for this screw and thus, it unscrews itself with all the vibration. Minor crib again but I dont think anyone in their right mind would want us to find this acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1427161401035.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1427161429065.jpg  

Old 25th March 2015, 11:09   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetsanju View Post
Looks like the Transfer case lever is touching the body. Don't need to open the gearbox to address this.

Yes, the newer thars have better brakes, You need to go for an upgrade to address this issue. Talk to the ASC and see if you can get a free upgrade as it is a safety issue.
Thank you so much for the advice, let me get in touch with the service department and once they tell me something about the brakes and check the transfer case, I will update you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks