Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 14:59   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Dear CRDi - is your auto locking hub issue solved? If no, please tell.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 06:34   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
The thing is, I've never actually seen the water drip from anywhere except trickling down the wires on the passenger's side and forming a puddle at the bottom as seen in the Second mat photo.
Hello there, you may have probably figured out the water ingress location by now.

But reading across this I just felt like sharing my experience with the same. I have a 7 month 12000+ km Thar Crde. Everytime i leave it overnight or every time it goes for a power wash it accumulates water in the front passenger footwell. This cannot be the AC drip because i hardly use it. So i always thought that being a softtop it must be dripping from sonewhere so actually never gave a second thought.

Then one day it was raining heavily with hailstorms and i happen to be inside the jeep parked for the rain to subside. I happen to drop some stuff on the passenger footwell and i was hunting with a torch light. Voila and i found a stream of water gushing out from the side just near the door hinge and it was definitely lots of water coming. So next day drove to ASS and explained them, they replicated the issue at the washing bay and promptly identified the lack of sealing material in the inside face of a hinge like joint on the lower lateral part of winshield.

They wanted to open it and paste it but the paint would get chipped so they devised a long nozzle and sealed with a silicon self curing sealant. The water ingress ceased thereafter.

This had actually been my most irritating niggle in owning the jeep. Otherwise it has been perdorming absolutely awesome and I appreciate the people in its design. Reading at the previous posts although do tell a different story but I am thoroughly satisfied. Perhaps because this is the new refreshed edition with corrective measures taken already.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 14:14   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thankyou for the concern, behram sir. The hubs have been corrected and apparently there was a problem with the drive mode shifting lever too, about the connector rod between the shifter lever and the transfer case, which was causing incomplete transfer into the 2H mode, making potholes and imperfections on the road cause erratic responses by the transfer case. This is what the mechanic told me.
I remember yourself too mentioning about adjusting the shifter linkage, elsewhere on the forum. So i think the mechanic must have been right.
The vehicle is running fine for now. Hope it stays that way. But kinda worried about touching the transfer case shifter anymore. Since the m-locker is there, that might be good enough for part time softcore trail-roaders like me.
On a lighter note, while trying jacking up the front tyre to check the wheel/propeller rotation, I found that the company provided jack barely lifts the front tyre off the ground, if the jack is placed as recommended in the vehicle manual.
Thanks to all, especially dr_mnc_sk

Last edited by crdi : 29th April 2016 at 14:17. Reason: Spell check
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 14:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
I have the same issue as well. However I found out that keeping the thermostat around 3/4th of the way helps in getting rid of it. I haven't found the time to go to service centre yet and have been using this jugaad for now.

this jugaad works for me at times, however it does not work most of the time
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:38   #320
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

My friends Thar is having some issue with the brakes.
After 80km/h when brakes are applied the entire car body vibrates vigorously. This started happening after he changed the brake pads. To solve the issue he has changed the brake disc too but nothing happened.
The A. S. S. guys even changed the propeller shaft for some reason but even that didn't work.
He even checked the brake pad assembly but found nothing. The A.S.S. guys blamed it on the tyres but after exchanging with an other the issue persisted.
Any leads on this issue would be helpful.

Last edited by dean5545 : 3rd May 2016 at 06:39.
Old 4th May 2016, 09:13   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
On a lighter note, while trying jacking up the front tyre to check the wheel/propeller rotation, I found that the company provided jack barely lifts the front tyre off the ground, if the jack is placed as recommended in the vehicle manual.
Thanks to all, especially dr_mnc_sk
Its good to know that the problem is sorted out. Yes you have been true in saying that the screw type Jackscrew that they have provided us is difficult to jack up, in my case i have lost the original rod assembly for the jack and has been using a short one i managed to find at home (probably an Altos). Its even more difficult with that. I think we need to invest i a small compact 3 Tonne Hydraulic one, saving on space and effort and time also. Any leads on a good small hydaulic jack?
Old 4th May 2016, 09:48   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Its good to know that the problem is sorted out. Yes you have been true in saying that the screw type Jackscrew that they have provided us is difficult to jack up, in my case i have lost the original rod assembly for the jack and has been using a short one i managed to find at home (probably an Altos). Its even more difficult with that. I think we need to invest i a small compact 3 Tonne Hydraulic one, saving on space and effort and time also. Any leads on a good small hydaulic jack?
Brands a many in the market, but the ones I have seen, the rods provided (there are usually two of them you join to make a longer one) with the hydraulic jacks are even shorter! It will make jacking a vehicle like a Thar positively dangerous with those short rods.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:42   #323
BHPian

New niggle now. This refreshed version had good handbrakes. Today suddenly after 7 months the cable snapped. Local ASS dont have one. Need a month they say to order. Difficult without handbrake in hill station. Sad part of staying in remote places. Anybody has any jugaad? 1st gear loses compression in many places where i park. Putting in low every time is a cumbersome issue. Already have spoilt the sensor of 4*4 lever to dash indicator. (ASS has failed to source replacement till date)
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:26   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has any jugaad?
You can carry a couple of bricks (or more) and use them to stop the vehicle from moving down the incline.
Old 7th May 2016, 14:37   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New niggle now. This refreshed version had good handbrakes. Today suddenly after 7 months the cable snapped. Local ASS dont have one. Need a month they say to order. Difficult without handbrake in hill station. Sad part of staying in remote places. Anybody has any jugaad? 1st gear loses compression in many places where i park. Putting in low every time is a cumbersome issue. Already have spoilt the sensor of 4*4 lever to dash indicator. (ASS has failed to source replacement till date)
Check the length of the inner wire, then get a similar one from motorcycle shops. Another source for shorter length is the M800 clutch cable.

Normally the cable does not snap, the end button does. As a last resort, get one soldered at a local radiator repair shop.

http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/...ycle-Cable.htm
https://www.trwaftermarket.com/us/Im...Clutch-Cables/
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:07   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Please check your lever position. I am afraid it looks like you are driving on 4 H and transmission windout is underway and buckling and releasing at times...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi there, I have been reading the posts with interest and being a newbie with 4WDs would like your input. My steering seems to be heavier than earlier (in my case compared to when I had the stock steel wheels). I attributed that to wider rims now (8J, but stock size tires). But still I find that when stopped, the steering is much too tight sometimes. I will try jacking up and see what is going on...
Quote:
Hi everyone i have a November 2015 Thar 2.6 CRDE. I have driven it without an issue for 11,000 kms across North India.

Last week i had sent the vehicle for a small denting job on the bonnet and when i went to pick up the jeep, i saw it was slotted in 4H & the green light was on the console. I called the mechanic and blasted him for messing around with the 4x4.

I slotted back into 2H and did the reverse process to disengage the hubs but didnt hear any clicks. I tried this 2-3 times more but still couldnt figure out if i was back in 2H or not.

Finally i took the vehicle to an open parking lot put it in 4H, drove then moved to 2H and reversed. This time it felt it had disengaged. I jacked up the wheels, rotated them and the prop shaft (which is toward the right side) was not rotating.

But since this incident the following issues are occurring -

- steering feels heavier than normal
- there is bounce towards the front end of the vehicle
- the engine feels strained even at 2500 rpm

i have been driving the Thar across highways and cities with no issue, its been cruising and the handling was very responsive. In February i moved to Michelin AT tyres (stock size) and the ride became even better.

But now it feel the engine is straining in every gear and the handling is totally off.
The vehicle has to go for service soon, it was last serviced about 5500 kms ago. could this be contributing to above mentioned problems ?

I see some other members have faced similar issues hence theyve been quoted here to get their advice.

Please advice what should be done to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance

regards

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:17   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post

I see some other members have faced similar issues hence theyve been quoted here to get their advice.

Please advice what should be done to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance

regards

Kundan
well sir, my vehicle apparently had a problem with the hubs as well as the transfer case shifter lever linkage. After those have been adjusted, it has become smoother, quieter, lighter to steer and the fe too has shown an improvement of some 1.5 kpl. When i tried the wheel rotation, at times it would move freely, at times it would rotate the prop shaft too and at times it would be dead stuck. All those responses happened with the gear lever in neutral and transfer case shifter in 2H mode and a single front wheel off the ground and within a couple of kms of driving between checking it each time. Maybe you could tell the mechanic to check both the hubs and the trasfer case.
Old 18th May 2016, 13:45   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
well sir, my vehicle apparently had a problem with the hubs as well as the transfer case shifter lever linkage. After those have been adjusted, it has become smoother, quieter, lighter to steer and the fe too has shown an improvement of some 1.5 kpl. When i tried the wheel rotation, at times it would move freely, at times it would rotate the prop shaft too and at times it would be dead stuck. All those responses happened with the gear lever in neutral and transfer case shifter in 2H mode and a single front wheel off the ground and within a couple of kms of driving between checking it each time. Maybe you could tell the mechanic to check both the hubs and the trasfer case.
Thank you for your reply. i have to send the vehicle for servicing and will have the hubs checked.
Old 18th May 2016, 13:57   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kundan - there is one lever on the transfer case which has to be in particular locations for 2H, 4H and 4L. This is simple. Then there is the handheld lever attached to a sheet metal floor (with its own set of variables). The two levers are connected by a rod having ball joints at both ends. The ball joints have RH and LH threads (like a turnbuckle) to increase or decrease the length of the rod by rotating it, so as to make the transfer case lever come to its exact required position (because that is what you finally want), which must also fall within the envelope of the handheld transfer case lever. If the rod length is either more or less, the transfer case will remain partially engaged, leading to all the nonsense that you are mentioning, isn't it? Kya yaar! .

In 2H, the front propeller shaft will not rotate. Keep the bonnet open, stand next to the RH fender, tell a friend to move the vehicle slowly forwards and see if the thing is rotating or not.

Take a print of this and give it to the workshop and tell them to do it like this! There is nothing like "hub check" (whatever that means)!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 00:32   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Kundan - there is one lever on the transfer case which has to be in particular locations for 2H, 4H and 4L. This is simple. Then there is the handheld lever attached to a sheet metal floor (with its own set of variables). The two levers are connected by a rod having ball joints at both ends. The ball joints have RH and LH threads (like a turnbuckle) to increase or decrease the length of the rod by rotating it, so as to make the transfer case lever come to its exact required position (because that is what you finally want), which must also fall within the envelope of the handheld transfer case lever. If the rod length is either more or less, the transfer case will remain partially engaged, leading to all the nonsense that you are mentioning, isn't it? Kya yaar! .

In 2H, the front propeller shaft will not rotate. Keep the bonnet open, stand next to the RH fender, tell a friend to move the vehicle slowly forwards and see if the thing is rotating or not.

Take a print of this and give it to the workshop and tell them to do it like this! There is nothing like "hub check" (whatever that means)!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sirjee Thanks so much for your reply and advice. But being a Class 10th Physics fail student, i havent quite got it.

I havent understood how to gain access to the rod which connects the two levers to each other. And how to manipulate that rod so that it falls exactly in place.

With the bonnet open and looking from the RHS fender am i looking at the prop shaft moving or this connecting rod. I've already jacked up the vehicle in 2H and the prop shaft was not moving.

Apologies for the noob queries but if i give a print out of this to the Mahindra mechanics in Jammu, they will have zero idea what im talking about.

Thanks again

Kundan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks