Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 19:27   #466
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
I have a 2015 CRDe run about 4000 Kms. I have to use 4wd especially 4H quite often. Lately, I have noticed that while going downhill if 4H is engaged in 2nd gear there is a grinding noise from the front differential which requires immediate disengagement of 4H. Experts in the blog kindly suggest what I should do to remedy the problem before I head for the ASC in Siliguri where I presume they would have even limited knowledge about 4wd mechanism.
You're engaging 4H on the go, come to a complete stop, then engage 4H. I too had this issue as I thought as the manual says, you can shift from 2H to 4H ( shift on fly ) but don't believe Mahindra manual.
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 19:38   #467
KMT
BHPian

Please check the oil in the extragearbox and front diff.
I am expecting you have autolock front hubs.
I use 4H regularly on the fly (at sub 20kmh speeds), one vehicle has run 70k and one about 30k. No issues so far.
I hope these are not famous last words from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
How do we calibrate our LSPV? My service centre seems to not even acknowledge its presence. They don't even disconnect the spring when mounting on a 2 pole work lift. I wish to get it calibrated.
Any Mahindra wksp that has Thar and Bolero pickup should be aware of this. It is a crude mechanisim whereby the distance between the chassis and axle determines 'load' and changes brake fluid pressue.

I removed leafs from my rear suspension and the back wheels began to lock even at light braking. The valve sensed the chassis closer to the axle and assumed there was more load and allowed more pressure to the brakefluid.

The local Indiagarage Mahindra wksp adjusted the LSPV for me in 15 minutes by resetting it to the new (lower) ride height.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th November 2018 at 11:13. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:59   #468
BHPian

Hello,
All Thar owners.

My Thar CRDe is just 8 months old and is on the verge of completing 10k kms within a few days. I travelled extensively with it to many off-beat destinations along with some 4x4 only territories. But recently, I noticed my clutch pedal has become very hard to push. Feeling a hard clutch is very difficult as it is similar to slow poisoning. I could only notice the problem when I sat on the driver seat of a newer Thar that belongs to one of my friends. The clutch pedal of his Thar felt so lighter compared to mine. I visited my nearest workshop and had 'pedal force meter' test and the result was around humongous >20kgf force to depress the clutch pedal completely. In a written communication, Mahindra also acknowledged that it is too high considering the max. force lies in <14kgf range. They asked me to keep the car with them to open the clutch-box-assembly for further inspection; but as the car was needed for the time being, I wished to get it done once I give the car for 2nd service soon. Along with that, I feel the engagement of reverse and 1st gear is bit notchy at times if not always. I hardly use clutch except while shifting the gears and it become a pain to drive the Thar in bumper to bumper city traffic.

I discussed this with many other owners who also faced the similar problem and became used to it. So the question is, can we consider this much high force to engage clutch pedal in Thar as normal symptom with passage of time? Is it due to real bad metallurgy used for manufacturing the heat treated fingers and the pressure plate for Thar?

Owners, please voice your experience regarding this issue.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 30th November 2018 at 11:01.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:15   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
. So the question is, can we consider this much high force to engage clutch pedal in Thar as normal symptom with passage of time? Is it due to real bad metallurgy used for manufacturing the heat treated fingers and the pressure plate for Thar?

Owners, please voice your experience regarding this issue.
It is not normal. Its possible that there is something wrong with the clutch assembly, release bearing etc, somewhere there is a problem and needs to be fixed.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:34   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It is not normal. Its possible that there is something wrong with the clutch assembly, release bearing etc, somewhere there is a problem and needs to be fixed.
Thanks for pointing this. However, as far as I understand technically, the release/throw bearing is adjusted which is directly related to the free play of the clutch. This parameter remains unaltered in my Thar since the beginning. The clutch engages/disengages as it used to do when it was brand new, out of showroom.

Also, I forgot to mention there is absolutely no slippage.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 30th November 2018 at 14:37.
Old 30th November 2018, 19:17   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this. However, as far as I understand technically, the release/throw bearing is adjusted which is directly related to the free play of the clutch. This parameter remains unaltered in my Thar since the beginning. The clutch engages/disengages as it used to do when it was brand new, out of showroom.

Also, I forgot to mention there is absolutely no slippage.
Release bearing can fail, and it can take the rest of the components with it. One of the common cause for clutch to become hard.Slippage will start at a later stage.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 21:58   #472
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Pilot bearing can also have a “bearing” on how hard the clutch is.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 22:05   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...recently, I noticed my clutch pedal has become very hard to push.

So the question is, can we consider this much high force to engage clutch pedal in Thar as normal symptom with passage of time? Is it due to real bad metallurgy used for manufacturing the heat treated fingers and the pressure plate for Thar?
Not only for the Thar, this issue (clutch getting harder with age) is common to multiple cars, including my Scorpio, the Accent Viva CRDi and Indica DLS that I used to own, and even my daughter's Toyota Yaris. The Scorpio's clutch turned heavy after 90+k km of use, though I realised the Thar's clutch is even heavier. Then the Scorpio's clutch kit was changed, and now it is super-light.

I thought the Thar had the heaviest clutch, until I drove the Yaris (and my daughter drove the Thar). We both realized the Yaris has the heavier clutch, although it has a shorter throw, which is easier to operate. Remember, the Yaris is over 250k km and 12 years old, without any available history of clutch replacement, although I presume it isn't on its original clutch.

In my experience, the only way a heavy clutch can become light again, is by replacing the pressure plate. The hardness is directly related to the temper of the pressure plate fingers. Have opened a fair number of clutches which had become hard as well as worn out, where the release bearing has been in good running condition - so the release bearing is never the culprit.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th November 2018 at 22:07.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 23:18   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In my experience, the only way a heavy clutch can become light again, is by replacing the pressure plate. The hardness is directly related to the temper of the pressure plate fingers. Have opened a fair number of clutches which had become hard as well as worn out, where the release bearing has been in good running condition - so the release bearing is never the culprit.
My assumption is in line with your observation. But the only remaining question is, for a car with less than 10k kms on odo, it seems a bit beyond generalization where as your Scorpio clutch lasted for 90+k kms. Should I doubt sub-standard metallurgy in this case as I found the same thing in bhpian sanc's Thar few months back? I don't know since when it has been that hard in his Thar. Perhaps, you may throw some light into it specifically for Thar whether it is generic or not.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 18:06   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I found the same thing in bhpian sanc's Thar few months back? I don't know since when it has been that hard in his Thar. Perhaps, you may throw some light into it specifically for Thar whether it is generic or not.
Yes, SanC's Thar has an even harder clutch than mine, which I am aware of since the time I drove it from Kolkata to Delhi (Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail). His vehicle has done 25+k km, while mine has not run more than 15k km.
Old 18th December 2018, 12:08   #476
BHPian

Hello Experts,
I want to install a roll over bar in my Thar (2015> model) to beef up the safety.

1. Would you please provide the part no. and detail of the OEM roll over bar?

2. Which other 3rd party manufacturers in India are offering custom make roll over bar for Thar? Detail please.

3. Can the soft top (OEM Canopy) be fitted after installing the roll over bar without any alteration?

4. Can the side facing side seats be fitted and used and after installing the same?

Your inputs are highly solicited.
Old 18th December 2018, 18:03   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to install a roll over bar in my Thar...
...detail of the OEM roll over bar?
The Thar already has a rollover bar! It's an integral part of the bodyshell. What kind of a rollover bar are you thinking of?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 18:33   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Thar already has a rollover bar! It's an integral part of the bodyshell. What kind of a rollover bar are you thinking of?
Well, the SA type, export one, the 3 part assy with part nos. 0101GAD00170N, 0101GAD00180N, 0101GAD00250N was available before with special order as it was meant for export only. But it was inclined a bit inward, thus unable to accommodate the side facing rear seats without any alteration. But I heard there is an Indian one also available which allows side facing, rear seats to be intact at their default position. Mahindra also sells one, officially as an OEM accessory. Link

But my question is, whether the one which Mahindra is selling given in the link can be fitted without removing the side seats. I need to keep them as is stock condition.

Despite being sold as an OEM accessories, I still doubt its quality pitted against some 1st class 3rd party manufacturers' offerings. So the question goes.

I assume, you are mentioning the B-Pillar itself as a roll over bar. I agree. But I still doubt its rigidity sans the front member of the after market roll over bar assy.

Although I am not considering the toughest possible case of a real rollover of the Thar, apart from safety, the aftermarket one can serve the purpose of the grab rail for the occupants at the rear bucket when the Thar is driven topless.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 18th December 2018 at 18:41.
Old 18th December 2018, 18:43   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the SA type, export one, the 3 part assy with part nos. 0101GAD00170N, 0101GAD00180N, 0101GAD00250N was available before with special order as it was meant for export only. But it was inclined a bit inward, thus unable to accommodate the side facing rear seats without any alteration. But I heard there is an Indian one also available which allows side facing, rear seats to be intact at their default position. Mahindra also sells one, officially as an OEM accessories. Link

But my question is, whether the one which Mahindra is selling given in the link can be fitted without removing the side seats. I need to keep them as stock condition.

Despite being sold as a OEM accessories, I still doubt its quality pitted against some 1st class 3rd party manufacturers' offerings. So the question goes.

I assume, you are mentioning the B-Pillar itself as a roll over bar. I agree. But I still doubt its rigidity sans the front member of the after market roll over bar assy.

Although I am not considering the toughest possible case of a real rollover of the Thar, apart from safety, the aftermarket one can serve the purpose of the grab rail for the occupants at the rear bucket when the Thar is driven topless.
I see. So you are more inclined towards a roll cage. I'm sure such a fabrication can be done easily and at a lower cost by after-market Thar modifiers across the country, with enough strength to bear the weight of an upside-down vehicle. The side-facing seats can also be well modified and contoured to accommodate the space for the fixture.

If safety is your prime consideration, why have side facing seats at all?

Far too expensive an option to serve as grab rails though!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 20:48   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Experts,
I want to install a roll over bar in my Thar (2015> model) to beef up the safety
Get a roll cage fabricated from a tinker. It should be a days work (at the workshop) and will cost you around ~5-6k with a good paint job.

That’s the easiest and fastest way out. You can also fabricate it in a way that it doesn’t interfere with the rear seats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks