Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 10:04   #346
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

I am facing an issue with the gear not slotting into 4th gear once in a while in my 2015 refreshed version of the Thar.

Initially I was facing this going from 3 to 4, but nowadays I noticed it sometimes going from 5 to 4 (downshifting as well). Workshop says we are not shifting properly, and so the gear is "tending to go into reverse." But why should it? It is happening with all of us who have driven the Thar around.

Service centre did some work and greasing it, but the problem does not seems to have gone away. Any suggestions Please.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 20:13   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I am facing an issue with the gear not slotting into 4th gear once in a while in my 2015 refreshed version of the Thar.

Initially I was facing this going from 3 to 4, but nowadays I noticed it sometimes going from 5 to 4 (downshifting as well). Workshop says we are not shifting properly, and so the gear is "tending to go into reverse." But why should it? It is happening with all of us who have driven the Thar around.

Service centre did some work and greasing it, but the problem does not seems to have gone away. Any suggestions Please.
Hi Johy,
The Service Center MAY BE right in their diagnosis.

All of us know to drive, but I just want to give an elementary explanation of how spring-loading works!
In most vehicles, the gates in the gear shifts are moderately spring-loaded.
This means that in the neutral position, if you push the gear lever up it slots into third gear and if you pull the gear lever down, it slots into fourth.

To shift into first or second, from neutral, the shift lever has to be pushed to the left against the spring force and slotted up or down.
Likewise, to shift into fifth or reverse, the shift lever has to be pushed to the right against the spring force and slotted up or down.

Therefore, in a regular gearbox, shifting is relatively easy.

For example, to shift from first to second, keep the lever pushed to the left, pull down to neutral, and pull it down to slot it to second.
To shift from second to third, push the lever up to neutral, wait (by which time the spring would move the lever to the 3-4 position) and push it straight up to slot into third.
Third to fourth is a simple task, pull it straight down through neutral, since it is in the same gate!
To shift from fourth to fifth, push the lever up to neutral, push the lever to the extreme right against the spring force and slot it into fifth.

To shift from fifth to fourth, is a simple task, pull the lever down to neutral, wait (by which time the spring would move the lever to the 3-4 position) and pull it straight down to slot into fourth.

In a Mahindra Thar, this spring loading is either weak or nonexistent.

Therefore, we need to compensate for this inaction by slotting the shift lever into the correct gate (by keeping the lever in the appropriate left, middle or right gate before shiting up or down), without waiting for the springs to aid us. If not, the lever tends to shift into a gear in the wrong slot or grinds (if it tries to go into reverse)!

But don't you worry, you will soon get used to it!

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2016 at 22:23. Reason: As requested.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:46   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

In a Mahindra Thar, this spring loading is either weak or nonexistent.

Therefore, we need to compensate for this inaction by slotting the shift lever into the correct gate (by keeping the lever in the appropriate left, middle or right gate before shiting up or down), without waiting for the springs to aid us. If not, the lever tends to shift into a gear in the wrong slot or grinds (if it tries to go into reverse)!

But don't you worry, you will soon get used to it!
Hi cpbopanna, Thanks a lot, the service centre did change the spring. Problem seems okay now and shifting seems better too. However, I am keeping an eye out for issues. Thanks once again.
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:42   #349
BHPian

Finally after a long time managed to rectify the power loss and excess smoking problem on my Thar. Took it to a Bosch authorized center where the mechanic traced it to a faulty turbo core assembly which was replaced. He also found that the catalytic converter was partly blocked.{Pieces were rattling inside}. The whole thing was taken apart piece by piece. They also blocked the EGR. The turbo core cost me about 13k.
There was oil residue in the intercooler pipes,however they said it was minor and cleaning it would require cutting the roof of the radiator assembly.

The ASC guys at both Calicut and Kottayam blamed it on engine wiring shortage and suggested replacing the entire vehicle wiring.. The senior guy at Calicut partly blamed it on the "extra wiring" for the fog lamps.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:56   #350
BHPian

A quick question, can the crde engine be pressure washed? I was told by the dealership guy to avoid getting the engine washed from outside as it might mess up with some sensors under the hood. Strange it seemed, as i have a Honda City & Etios Liva both diesel, and have washed their engine part several times without any problems, i thought a Jeep was built to endure more than regular cars. Any inputs? Can you specify exactly which sensors need to be protected from water so ill cover them up before splashing water on engine. Thank you in advance, cheers !
Old 30th June 2016, 14:39   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
A quick question, can the crde engine be pressure washed? I was told by the dealership guy to avoid getting the engine washed from outside as it might mess up with some sensors under the hood. Strange it seemed, as i have a Honda City & Etios Liva both diesel, and have washed their engine part several times without any problems, i thought a Jeep was built to endure more than regular cars. Any inputs?
I wouldn't do that. This aint no Toyota. Pieces and hoses are already coming apart in the engine bay. A pressure wash is the last thing you want there.
Old 30th June 2016, 14:50   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A quick question, can the crde engine be pressure washed?
As long as you are careful and dry it using pressurized air after the wash, it is fine. I always gets it done when i do the water service. Ask them not to put straight jet, instead a dispersed spray and a light one at that.
Old 6th July 2016, 15:41   #353
BHPian

Hi Guys

I am about to pick up a used thar and the only extra fitment on it is a Roll over Bar. Request all thar owners to please help me identify if this is the South African version or the local Mahindra one. I know it may be hard to identify from this pic, however if someone can then please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-thar.jpg  

Old 6th July 2016, 16:30   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A quick question, can the crde engine be pressure washed? I was told by the dealership guy to avoid getting the engine washed from outside as it might mess up with some sensors under the hood. Strange it seemed, as i have a Honda City & Etios Liva both diesel, and have washed their engine part several times without any problems, i thought a Jeep was built to endure more than regular cars. Any inputs? Can you specify exactly which sensors need to be protected from water so ill cover them up before splashing water on engine. Thank you in advance, cheers !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
I wouldn't do that. This aint no Toyota. Pieces and hoses are already coming apart in the engine bay. A pressure wash is the last thing you want there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As long as you are careful and dry it using pressurized air after the wash, it is fine. I always gets it done when i do the water service. Ask them not to put straight jet, instead a dispersed spray and a light one at that.
You can do that, I have been doing so at almost every wash.
And for assurance, not that I suggest, you can see a lot of thars offroading with their bonnet submerged in water and they still run, till ECU goes kaput
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 16:02   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
I am about to pick up a used Thar and the only extra fitment on it is a rollover bar. Request all Thar owners to please help me identify if this is the South African version or the local Mahindra one. I know it may be hard to identify from this picture, however if someone can, then please help.
Dear Badd-azz - hello to you. The rollover bar in the photograph is the local one, made by a vendor in Satpur Nasik and sold through the accessories route to meet the "sales target". (). South Africa rollover bar is also made in Nasik, but by a different vendor. It meets the homologation requirement of that country. It also meets the seat belt homologation requirement which is extremely stringent for pull-out load, as the inertia reel seat belt is mounted on it. This contraption does not even come close to meeting any requirement, let alone meet it, hahaha!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 16:32   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Badd-azz - hello to you. The rollover bar in the photograph is the local one, made by a vendor in Satpur Nasik and sold through the accessories route to meet the "sales target". (). South Africa rollover bar is also made in Nasik, but by a different vendor. It meets the homologation requirement of that country. It also meets the seat belt homologation requirement which is extremely stringent for pull-out load, as the inertia reel seat belt is mounted on it. This contraption does not even come close to meeting any requirement, let alone meet it, hahaha!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sir for the clarification. So do you suggest that I let it be or removing it would be a better idea? I have plans to add a front facing rear seat after getting the Jeep.
bad_azz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:29   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
Thank you Sir. Do you suggest that I let it be or removing it would be a better idea? I have plans to add a front facing rear seat after getting the Jeep.
Dear Bad-azz - I do not like to have anything which is non-engineered on my cars. I hope you got the answer. Your call! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 01:55   #358

Hello everybody,
The other day while applying the hand brake of my May 2014 born Thar Crde, the complete hand brake bracket came off from its place where its welded to the floor, dangling in my hand. So I got it welded again (not from an ASC).
For this, the garage mechanic dismantled the complete hand brake assembly. All this work was not done in front of me so I dont know what all adjustments he has done to dismantle or reassemble the hand brake.
After this job I noticed that my steering wheel has become heavy and there's a sound coming occasionally from the front wheels side (like the one which is heard sometimes when disengaging the hubs - some khatar khatar) while going over speed brakers and potholes or negotiating a turn. Also, the ride has become more bumpy while going over speed brakers & potholes.
Secondly, when I shift to 4H from 2H, the steering becomes more hard to turn and is not turning completely to left or right.
Is this related to the dismantling of the hand brake and not reassembling it properly or something else?
Please advice on what could be the problem and what should I do.
Thank you.
Old 14th July 2016, 09:13   #359
Senior - BHPian

Rewelding could have warped the base, so that the steering may be rubbing against the floor. Go back to the welder and ask him to check the floor for any distortions.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 19:23   #360
BHPian

Does anyone have the wiring manual for the new Thar?
Couldn't find it on the internet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks