Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 15:37   #256
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Try replacing them with mirrors from Bolero VLX, they are more sturdily built. As added advantages you get a slightly wider mirror area and a better looking glossy black finish!
Hello PreethamB,

rushed to NBS mumbai to check, the Thar and the Bolero (as per the parts person) mirrors (currently in stock) are the same.

it will be a great help if you share part numbers i.e. if you have them handy

cheers!
Old 8th June 2015, 15:57   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Hello PreethamB,

rushed to NBS mumbai to check, the Thar and the Bolero (as per the parts person) mirrors (currently in stock) are the same.

it will be a great help if you share part numbers i.e. if you have them handy

cheers!
I am sorry, I do not have the part numbers with me. However, the following link to a thread within the forum contains the pictures of the mirrors I am referring to.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3228973

The mirrors on the Thar are same as the ones found on Bolero Pickup, and may be the older versions of Bolero (not sure), but they are definitely not the same as the ones found on Bolero ZLX (I seem to have mentioned VLX in my last post, my bad!)
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:20   #258
BHPian

Guys, my Thar completed one year and is now out of warranty.

Need suggestions on whether I should still be using the authorized service centre or any good independent service centres? I am based in Mumbai.
Old 14th June 2015, 03:28   #259
BANNED

Hello, can someone please explain in detail how to do the torsion bar adjustment on the thar my ASC guys have no idea how to do it and I need to make a 250kms trip to get the settings changed for offroading. Also would like to know if its alright to change settings repeatedly for on road n off road use. If someone has a video of how to do the torsion bar adjustment it'll be great.
Regards Dr Laxmikant Tukkar
Old 7th July 2015, 18:34   #260
BHPian

considering that the Thar engine needs to be idled for atleast 30 seconds before we start off, it is sometimes a irritant at petrol stations.

has anybody tried hooking up the Fuel tank lid to be a lever inside the cabin, I know I need to shut off the engine and all.

But still asking and risking the wrath of all

Cheers!
Old 8th July 2015, 10:47   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
considering that the Thar engine needs to be idled for atleast 30 seconds before we start off, it is sometimes a irritant at petrol stations.

has anybody tried hooking up the Fuel tank lid to be a lever inside the cabin, I know I need to shut off the engine and all.

Cheers!
The idling practice for the turbo is only to be performed on a cold engine, that is - your first start of the day. Once the engine is warmed up, you do not need to wait for 30 seconds before driving.
Old 8th July 2015, 12:07   #262
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
The fuel station I go to has a queue all the time which helps with idling. You can try to fill air first while idling and then go for fuel. Or just stop for 30 seconds inside or just outside the fuel station before you go to the pump.

I try to follow a minute's idling before starting or after stopping almost all of the time. If in hurry, I would run the car in 1st or 2nd gear without any accelerator for a minute. After long highway runs, I idle for 2-3 mins before shutting off the engine.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:43   #263

My 2014 Thar just finished its 1 year warranty, and a couple of weeks later I set out on a trip from Delhi to Trivandrum and back. Got there and back without any major issues, and the engine really seems to have smoothened out in a palpable way after doing 6900kms over 11-12 days of driving, so I'm happy with that.

A few small niggles that I encountered and either got fixed or am looking to fix -
1) Brake failure - the line from the brake fluid reservoir to the pump somehow came into contact with the steering rod (havent figured out how this could have happened - maybe a particularly deep pothole caused the line to be shifted into contact) because of which the section in contact wore out and fluid leaked. Managed to top up fluid and limp along to the next town (Adilabad, AP - doesnt have a Mahindra ASC) where the Mahindra helpline, though not without some difficulty, managed to patch me through to a local mechanic who replaced the line and bled the air. No problems since then.
2) Front suspension - went over the divider at about a 100kmph to avoid a truck that cut in while we were overtaking it (if it wasnt for the clearance of the jeep, we would have had a shattered axle!) and the front right suspension took some hard knocks. Had this looked at at the Bangalore ASC on Bannerghata Road and got the torsion bar bushes replaced. I feel there is still some squeaking noise coming on and off from the front right wheel - will be taking it to RR this weekend to get it checked out. Any suggestions on what all I should get looked at in this regard?
3) Wiper blades - stock blades gave up after 1 year, replaced with Bosch blades. Satisfactory
4) AC leak - plenty of water dripping from the AC outside, and some of it leaking into the dashboard as well, because of which the audio system blew an IC. Will have to get the dashboard unmounted and the entire piping checked for leaks. Also, been meaning to get a full-service done of the AC since sometimes I feel the cooling is sub-par. Hope this will happen at the ASC.
5) Oil filter leak - leak from the oil filter gave me a scare since the drops of oil got carried by the wind through the entire undercarriage so one look at the bottom gives you the impression that everything everywhere is leaking! Changed the filter and since then there hasnt been a problem. The ASCs dont do an undercarriage wash though, apparently, because of which everything is still oil-stained. Will get this cleaned at a third-party service station and then monitor.
6) Steering sound in 4x4 - when in 4 high or low, the steering box ( or is it from the hubs?) seems to emit a strange sound at either extreme end when the wheel is turning. Need to get this checked out. Any idea why it could be happening?

On the whole, I'd give the performance of the vehicle an 8/10. I cant think of any other vehicle that I'd rather have done this trip in
Old 7th August 2015, 19:21   #264
BHPian

I've done 11,000KM since 2012 and it's been a nice ride so far, apart from a few hiccups. One was my doing, others not so much.

The problems I'm facing are:
1. Exhaust fumes: I've mostly noticed this when I am stuck in traffic, I'm not sure if this happens at other times too but I can distinctly smell exhaust fumes from behind the driver's seat. This seems to be coming in from the various gaps in the canopy but I don't have a solution for that yet.

2. Water leakage: There are two issues here. Monsoon leakage, which leaves around 2-3cm of water on the carpet and aircon condensation/leakage which goes into the glove compartment and even trickles down from below it. I just can't figure out where the monsoon leakage (front-left seat) is coming from. The seat is completely dry but there's a lot of water accumulated below it.

3. Canopy: I need to get the canopy changed as there are cracks and small holes throughout the top. But none of the ASC's seem to have one in stock. I've spoken to NBS and G3 in Mumbai but both said they don't have one in stock and that "no one has asked for one before." Not sure what to make of that.

4. Wipers: This is a relatively new problem and a dangerous one that's cropped up this monsoon. I was on the expressway and the wiper just stopped working. Luckily there was a bridge a few hundred metres ahead and I stopped under it. I shut the car for 15-20 mins and when I started it again, they started working. No idea what's causing this. Does the motor overheat? (I have Bosch blades installed).

5. AC Vent: There were a few excellent options here which I can't wait to try out!

6. Front Seats: My brother thought it would be a good idea to change the seats and switched the stock ones for pilot seats (2nd row) from the Innova when I was out of town. They're very comfortable but the ride feels even more bouncy now! Lesson learnt, keep it stock.

I was wondering if I can get a few centimetres cut from the seat. Has anyone else faced this issue? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Moderator - Apologies - Wanted to post in Thar, however by mistake did in Scorpio. Can you move this please. Thank you.

Inventory of Issues I faced till now.
4. Wipers Stopped working in Rains - started on own after a week. No issue found.

Slowly I am learning how to handle jeep tantrums on your own.
Hi,
I know it's been a long time, but did you find the issue causing this? This recently happened to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...my recommendation is to go for shocks upgrade before anything.

Bilstein, Iron Man and Tein have shocks suitable for Thar and i would say those are really paisa vasool stuff. Not only do they enhance the ride quality but overall handling improves tremendously. Vehicle is more predictable on road as well as improves performance offroad by limiting the bouncing issue of front IFS suspension.
This is what I had in mind. Have you upgraded yours? Would you please point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]In Thar specific application, remove the louvers and file off the bottom supports to increase the angle of travel. I had done this on the prototype and it gave very good result. Finally, it is all common sense! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Could it be that you always had the answer to the single biggest irritation I have had in my car since I bought it! I can't wait to try this!
Old 7th August 2015, 21:45   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
This is what I had in mind. Have you upgraded yours? Would you please point me in the right direction?
Yes my vehicle has Tein and i am quite happy with the same. Link has the details of the vendor.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:52   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
I've done 11,000KM since 2012 and it's been a nice ride so far, apart from a few hiccups. One was my doing, others not so much.

The problems I'm facing are:
1. Exhaust fumes: I've mostly noticed this when I am stuck in traffic, I'm not sure if this happens at other times too but I can distinctly smell exhaust fumes from behind the driver's seat. This seems to be coming in from the various gaps in the canopy but I don't have a solution for that yet.

3. Canopy: I need to get the canopy changed as there are cracks and small holes throughout the top. But none of the ASC's seem to have one in stock. I've spoken to NBS and G3 in Mumbai but both said they don't have one in stock and that "no one has asked for one before." Not sure what to make of that.

4. Wipers: This is a relatively new problem and a dangerous one that's cropped up this monsoon. I was on the expressway and the wiper just stopped working. Luckily there was a bridge a few hundred metres ahead and I stopped under it. I shut the car for 15-20 mins and when I started it again, they started working. No idea what's causing this. Does the motor overheat? (I have Bosch blades installed).

Hi,
I know it's been a long time, but did you find the issue causing this? This recently happened to me too.

1)Do you have a thar with a straight exhaust pipe, or the bent one with exhaust outlet on drivers side, newer thar's have exhaust outlet on right corner of the vehicle, which fixed the fumes issue, never ever i have felt fumes in mine.

2)Stock Canopy costs like 14-15K for the fabric alone, not worth it, look for after market options.

3)Which bosch wipers are you using, i am using normal bosch ones and never faced issue with wipers.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:55   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes my vehicle has Tein and i am quite happy with the same. Link has the details of the vendor.
Thank you. I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
1)Do you have a thar with a straight exhaust pipe, or the bent one with exhaust outlet on drivers side, newer thar's have exhaust outlet on right corner of the vehicle, which fixed the fumes issue, never ever i have felt fumes in mine.

2)Stock Canopy costs like 14-15K for the fabric alone, not worth it, look for after market options.

3)Which bosch wipers are you using, i am using normal bosch ones and never faced issue with wipers.
Mine has the exhaust outlet on the driver's side, but there is a distinct smell. The only time I've smelt it though is when I'm stationary. First I thought could be the cars standing next to mine but I get the same smell when I stand next to the exhaust, it's quite distinctive.

2. The stock canopy is for 19K+2K fitting, but I didn't know there were aftermarket soft-tops as well. Do you know who makes them?

3. I'm not sure which ones they are but I checked their website and they look like Clear Advantage blades (no Bosch branding on end).
Old 10th August 2015, 10:38   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 911er - the canopy vendor is in Pimpri Pune, just 2 kms away from "where I work", if you want it, I can speak to him.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 11:25   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear 911er - the canopy vendor is in Pimpri Pune, just 2 kms away from "where I work", if you want it, I can speak to him.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi BD Sir,

I would like to get hold of Thar Canopy material. I have made my Jeep a two seater. However, I would like to get a canopy stitched using the excellent Thar CRDe canopy material.
Old 10th August 2015, 11:49   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi BD Sir,

I would like to get hold of Thar Canopy material. I have made my Jeep a two seater. However, I would like to get a canopy stitched using the excellent Thar CRDe canopy material.
Dear Dhanushs - send me your contact (my SIM got corrupted recently, many contacts were lost), I'll tell him.

If you feel that the Thar CRDe canopy material is "excellent", you should see what I had in mind (I still do). Come to Pune and see for yourself what the best Italian supercar used (the one which is mostly painted in red color)! That car's canopy was also made on trial basis in Pimpri, Pune! Same vendor! Now you know the level to which the timeless shape could have been elevated to? (and see what is sold now!). Hahaha! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks