Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2015, 22:25   #226
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Friend,

Cherish these happy moments, life is a string of these happy moments, and iam sure Thar will rekindle those memories when other cars have come and gone.

I had a land crucier and jeep,and evey time i drive my thar i get those memories again...it stirs nostalgia ;-).

Last edited by Vinay Stanley : 26th March 2015 at 22:45.
Old 26th March 2015, 22:51   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
Dear JonathanArmy

Ask yourself if you are crazy enough to spend 8.5 lakh rupees on a imperfection and impracticality. If your mind and heart still say yes, welcome to the club.

Su
yeah, i am crazy!! by the way, thar is my only car. Its pain to own it, grossly impractical, uncomfortable and low on mileage. All things said, It is a dream come true.

now mahindra could have given better interiors in same price or charge 25-50 Thousand more.

Mahindra should realise that Thar is a shaukeen's delight. It makes so much money off other cars like xuv and scorpio. Mahindra should tie up with companies to provide optional or standard accessories like:

- deep dish rims (20000)
- Better, more butch alloys (unlike what they currently Offer) ( Good alloys can be bought for 30000)
- A functional dashboard with decent gadgets (20000)
- Fog lamps (5-10000)
- Better bumpers (6000)
- Hard top (50000)
- Central locking (6000)
- Power windows (6000)
- Front facing rear seats with foldability

this way, mahindra can make sure they dont face losses by charging mildly more than aftermarket prices of these gadgets/parts.

if this happens, thar will be next best thing for mahindra, why they dont realise this - Reasons unknown.

Behram sir, i am sure CMVR would not have stopped mahindra from making thar with these upgrades.
Not that we are not happy, we would have been happier!
Old 27th March 2015, 00:38   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
Mahindra should tie up with companies to provide optional or standard accessories like:

- deep dish rims (20000)
- Better, more butch alloys (unlike what they currently Offer) ( Good alloys can be bought for 30000)
- A functional dashboard with decent gadgets (20000)
- Fog lamps (5-10000)
- Better bumpers (6000)
- Hard top (50000)
- Central locking (6000)
- Power windows (6000)
- Front facing rear seats with foldability
Aren't all these available already? Some dealers do provide most of these and for people comfortable with aftermarket places, options are aplenty. What difference does a tie-up make? We are already aware of how the tie-up between Mahindra & Neo resulted in wheels that are breaking off!

I would much rather prefer Mahindra selling me a bare bones vehicle with the right mechanical bits. Aesthetics and ergonomics can be fixed independently.

Quote:
this way, mahindra can make sure they dont face losses by charging mildly more than aftermarket prices of these gadgets/parts.

if this happens, thar will be next best thing for mahindra, why they dont realise this - Reasons unknown.

Behram sir, i am sure CMVR would not have stopped mahindra from making thar with these upgrades.
Not that we are not happy, we would have been happier!
It's all about numbers. They are already selling much more than what they had imagined, and must be thinking - why bother fixing something that ain't broke?

That said, an upgrade is in the pipeline with test mules appearing every now and then. But it will carry a price hike with it along with some enhancements - drawing it ever closer, or maybe, even beyond the million rupee mark.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 09:49   #229
BHPian

A DIY "Jugaad" to improve the airflow towards the driver in the Thar,

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-diy_deflector.jpg
PreethamB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 21:02   #230
BHPian

Hi PreethamB

Had earlier tried the same out of frustration but the flap makes noise and was a bother, but then my son brought in a thermal camera and i thought i could put it to good use.

Found a simple solution that works on basis of surface adherance and flow dynamics.
Put some rainx "original" using a cotton bud on the angle you want towards you on the fin lips at a 30 Deg Angle ( Since i drive mostly alone did the same on 3 vanes and obviously the 2 central ones yealded the best results)

>Rainx Applied Side<
--|---------
--|---------
--|---------

Allow it to dry for 10 min and then dont wipe. Try the ac now.It will now blow easily towards your side, and no obstructive physical mods required

( This was largely a trial and error effort tried some of my DIL's Nail enamel, Car Polish Wax,Silicone oil and checked on the flow using a thermal camera and an anemometer combination and Rain X aka original passed the test in flying colors )

Give it a try and beat the sweat out of Thar ;-)
Vinay Stanley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 21:23   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay Stanley View Post
Hi PreethamB

Had earlier tried the same out of frustration but the flap makes noise and was a bother, but then my son brought in a thermal camera and i thought i could put it to good use.
======
Give it a try and beat the sweat out of Thar ;-)
Superb! Could you post a pic while circling the area to be applied. Am i right in assuming it is the vertical fins?
Old 1st April 2015, 22:45   #232
BHPian

Its the vertical fins, nope need to get to my garage to get the photos, so will do it some other time . But its an easy job even for an oldie like me.

Getting the logic was hard, until I pointed the thermal cam.

Truely said : Life me aram ho to ideas aate hain, + Bhudapa helps
Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Typos
Vinay Stanley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:23   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Had earlier tried the same out of frustration but the flap makes noise and was a bother
I have used a fairly stiff sheet of plastic and hence it doesn't flap around and make noise. It may also be because it is held stiff on 3 of the 4 sides; 2 sides are stuck with 3M double sided tape and the other is stretched over the ends of the slightly protruding horizontal fins of the adjacent vent.

Quote:
Found a simple solution that works on basis of surface adherance and flow dynamics.
Put some rainx "original" using a cotton bud on the angle you want towards you on the fin lips at a 30 Deg Angle ( Since i drive mostly alone did the same on 3 vanes and obviously the 2 central ones yealded the best results)
I was going to replace the deflector I made with one fashioned from Door Visors in a hope to make it look a little better, but you seem to have found a much more elegant solution. Thank you

Let me try applying ProKlear since I already have that with me. If that doesn't work, I am going to go get a bottle of RainX!
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:39   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
A DIY "Jugaad" to improve the airflow towards the driver in the Thar.
Dear PreethamB and Vinay Stanley - this problem is there on many vehicles of many manufacturers, not only Thar. The acceptance criteria should be that the center line of the direct airflow from the blower must cover the driver torso location at all the slots in which the seat locates in the X axis (longitudinal). More often than not, this is not taken care during louvers design, forcing you to get into all sorts of juggad. One way of overcoming this issue is to buy the small rectangular swishblade type car fan (these are available at accessory shops) and mount the swish portion on the blower louvers. This gives oscillating motion just like the house AC. I have seen it fitted and working very effectively. Try it out, you will need a lot of patience to integrate it into the existing system.

In Thar specific application, remove the louvers and file off the bottom supports to increase the angle of travel. I had done this on the prototype and it gave very good result. Finally, it is all common sense! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:23   #235
BHPian

Behrambhai,

A link or photo of Swishblade fan would be helpful. I am thoroughly happy at the rainx application approach, and the drifts reach me fine.

Wait, let me patent it, package it, obfuscate ( this is my learning from my IT prof son ) it with "Mumbo Jumbo like applicator, nano vortex, superman krypton bonding, mangalyan & chandrayan tested,turbo channel approved. Dont forget to watch and buy this on late night infomercial " as seen on TV " Use "Teambhp10%" and get a massive 10% discount. I will accept cards,bank transfer and even sodexho

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2015 at 12:36. Reason: Typos
Vinay Stanley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:07   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Behrambhai, A link or photo of Swishblade fan would be helpful. I am thoroughly happy at the rainx application approach, and the drifts reach me fine. Wait, let me patent it, package it, obfuscate ( this is my learning from my IT prof son ) it with "Mumbo Jumbo like applicator, nano vortex, superman krypton bonding, mangalyan & chandrayan tested,turbo channel approved. Dont forget to watch and buy this on late night infomercial " as seen on TV " Use "Teambhp10%" and get a massive 10% discount. I will accept cards,bank transfer and even sodexho
Dear Vinay Stanley - I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments and had a hearty laugh, so thank you for increasing oxygen supply in my body. If you are going to accept Sodexho also, man, you are really desperate!

But jokes apart, nowadays mumbo-jumbo works better, especially if you are in the fray with the intent of getting more money to do less work. So I devised something for you to laugh, enjoy!

Mumbo-jumbo guys = promotion!
Working category guys = loose motion!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Mumbo-jumbo guys cannot make the vehicle, they have no choice but to resort to mumbo-jumbo!

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 2nd April 2015 at 13:09.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:32   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wait, let me patent it, package it, obfuscate ( this is my learning from my IT prof son ) it with "Mumbo Jumbo like applicator, nano vortex, superman krypton bonding, mangalyan & chandrayan tested,turbo channel approved. Dont forget to watch and buy this on late night infomercial " as seen on TV " Use "Teambhp10%" and get a massive 10% discount. I will accept cards,bank transfer and even sodexho
Off topic! But this is

Thank you Vinay, i will definitely try this out. I was planning to completely remove and throw that stupid thing, then put a decent duct ends from another vehicle.

A simple circular went with rotation flap cover from a swift would have done wonders to this vehicle! argh!
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:24   #238
BHPian

Being a doctor and surgeon by training tried grafts from 3 different cadaver to change vents ( Old OHC, a junked Tavera, Force Traveller). Thar rejected them all as the profile cuts mismatch.

A Baleno one did match to the spot and was a perfect fit, but will have to wait till my another old friend pledges to donate it.Organs both human and vehicles are on on a wait list, unless you know somebody from chopshops at Kurla, Chorbazaar or some cops.

If you get a Baleno one try it.It will fit with a bit of modification.
Vinay Stanley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:24   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Being a doctor and surgeon by training tried grafts from 3 different cadaver to change vents, an old OHC, a junked Tavera and a Force Traveller. Thar rejected them all as the profile cuts mismatch. A Baleno one did match to the spot and was a perfect fit. If you get a Baleno one try it, it will fit with a bit of modification.
Dear Vinay Stanley - oh good, the Baleno thingy fits is news for me, I learnt something new today, so thanks! Can you give the angles?

For the oscillating mechanism, essentially, you have to buy a "car fan" which is like a rectangular box, has a small motor to blow air and a louver oscillating mechanism in the front. You have to buy only the oscillating mechanism. As you are from Mumbai, try some electronics shops at Lamington Road. I have seen this thing in my teacher's car, it worked very nicely.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:41   #240
BHPian

Behram did not measure the angles of the vent when i tried it, it was just a grab pull try and refit from my friends vehicle.

At that time since i had planned in some long trip did try the normal 9v fan ( see photo) at an accessory shop in Lamington Road, but did not somehow fancy it, thought my grandchildrens pc fan would fare much better if inversed and wired from inside using a solar panel. But the rainx at least for me solved the issue.Have not taken the thar in the sun since last 20 days.

By the way there is a commercial product that just does it, though i did nor order it.[http://www.bombayharbor.com/Product/...quiremen.html]

Mods : I STILL dont own the above establishments so hope it should be fine if i post the links and the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-oscillating-fan.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-360_auto_vent_360_oscillating_fan_with_no_power_requiremen.jpg  

Vinay Stanley is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed