Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 11:14   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
Now this is one bit that annoys me no end.
===
Minor crib again but I dont think anyone in their right mind would want us to find this acceptable.
There is a yellow wire being grounded using that bolt, mostly for an accessory that was fit. The bolt was put back without proper washers and or tightened properly. So this one "may" not be a typical Thar thing. Yes otherwise it showers blessings
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:21   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay Stanley View Post
Does anybody have the part number for the following? Bolero VLX fuel tank protection plate / Bolero VLX Sump Plate
Scorpio M2DI Lower Flexible clutch hose / Scorpio M2DI banjo bolt / Scorpio M2DI brass washers. I checked up with the ASS and they were clueless and asked for model number / year / part number for them to provide the same. Thanks for the help. Vinay
Dear Vinay Stanley - hello to you. You are asking for part number of Bolero VLX fuel tank protection plate and sump plate, the part numbers should be there in the Bolero VLX parts catalogue, common sense! You are asking for part numbers of Scorpio M2DI flexible hose, banjo bolt and brass washers, the part numbers should be there in the Scorpio M2DI parts catalogue, again common sense! This is the problem. The guys just do not understand!

However, it will be naive for you to expect any other answer except what you got. What other answer did you expect? I have my doubts whether the guys know that the Bolero VLX actually has a fuel tank protection plate! If you have infinite patience to read the Ramayana from start to finish, you will have to cajole them, then go inside their stores, sit on their module (which may not be updated), take out the parts catalogue (whatever shows up there) and search for yourself! Hopefully, you will find some part number which you will have to presume that it is correct and order the part. If the part you want actually comes, thank yourself. Once I ordered a cylinder head for some 46000 rupees and got one bolt priced at 46000 rupees. This actually happened, so don't get frustrated. Tell them that you are crazy enough to actually want to fit these parts in your vehicle so that you will ensure 100% reliability and peace of mind for yourself. Best of luck to you! .

Dear Sanket.u - this pipe with the flattened ends is called "Chishti Bracket" as it was made by a vendor called Chishti. It holds the instrument panel. The bolt size is M6*1.0 but the slot in the Chishti bracket is bigger to take care of manufacturing tolerances. Just put a longer M6*1.0 size bolt and lock it with a nut from the other side. If you also have infinite patience to read the Ramayana from start to finish and you indeed follow up because you are Superman also, you will finish first, before "improved parts" are "released in the system" and they actually make it to "production"! Best of luck to you too! .

The Japanese do not work like this, that's why their cars sell nicely and work properly!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 15:09   #213
BANNED

Behram sir, you still have not replied to me.

to improve ride quality, composite leaf springs are recommended?
Old 25th March 2015, 15:29   #214
BHPian

Thanks Mr.Behram, The parts catalog does had some issue at the ASS, since they had some ( and still do ) have some login issues.

I used to be with NATO and WHO where we could order parts on the fly from the parts catalog or just by croaking VIN over the radio or much later on a brick lenghth Sat phone( and this iam talking 25 years back ).Seems the indian auto industries had spiralled backwards and you seem to have first hand exprience of it ( albiet a costly 45000 INR one )

Iam old now and hopefully will adapt to the current scenario and will keep the ASS busy by pertering them.

Thats why i requested on another thread if the service manuals and parts catalogue are available, as this will help a old tinkerer like me to do it on my own.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:21   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
Behram sir, you still have not replied to me. To improve ride quality, composite leaf springs are recommended?
Dear Sukhdeep - I know that I have not replied to you, I have seen your PM. Who told you to fit "vadde-vadde" tires?

Please do not fit any non-standard mechanical aggregates on your vehicle. In absence of DVP (Design Validation Plan) evaluation, nobody can say whether something will work or not. Now you please read the tire load rating on its side, and play with the tire pressure till you get something resembling what you want. A majority of such tires are rated LT means "light truck" which are not designed for ride comfort but designed to carry light load!

Dear Vinay Stanley - you have experienced the effectiveness of a good way of working 25 years back, so I need not clarify. I have also experienced the effectiveness of a good Japanese way of working (my teacher was Yoshikazu Shirahishi San of Nissan Motor Company, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan), so I know that you will understand!

On your quote "the parts catalog does have some issue at the ASS", this is a never ending problem because the genuine intent to end this problem is just not there! The NISSAN parts catalogue of 30 years back was 100 times more detailed and perfect than what we have now!

On your quote "you seem to have first hand exprience of it (albiet a costly 45000 INR one)", HaHaHa, I can never forget this one, I was in the cabin of my boss who was the customer care incharge when an old hand practical Parsi Bawa (like me) who was the service engineer at that time (the breed is extinct now, they killed every single one of them) barged into the cabin unannounced, put the small box containing the bolt on the table, told us to read the description (assembly cylinder head) and the price (46000 rupees) and then he entralled and entertained both of us in unmentionable non-vegetarian Gujarati language on how to contain the compression pressure of a 4 cylinder diesel engine by using a 46000 rupee bolt as a cylinder head or find alternate uses for it. I thoroughly enjoyed, as Gujarati is my mother-tongue, then I translated for my boss, then he also enjoyed! Then he fired the hell out of everybody but that was about all that happened! I had a photograph of that box, I'll try and find it in my hard disk!

On your quote "if the service manuals and parts catalogue are available, this will help an old tinkerer like me to do it on my own", if service manuals and parts catalogues are available on-line (highly unlikely), you will go crazy as most of it will either be wrong or not updated. Also, what is the point when most of the people can't understand what pipe and washer to look for in a parts catalogue? You experienced it firsthand, my dear Sir! In Gujarati we call it "bhens agal bhagwat", means reading the bhagwad gita in front of a buffalo! .

ENJOY!!!!!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th March 2015 at 17:24.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:28   #216
BANNED

Behram sir,

vadde vadde tires are the only thing what make the jeep look worth 8.5 Lakh!!!!
Old 25th March 2015, 18:06   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
Behram sir, vadde vadde tires are the only thing what make the jeep look worth 8.5 Lakh!!!!
Dear Sukhdeep - I completely agree with you, those vadde vadde tires look macho to you on the vehicle, that's why you fitted them, but then the suspension should compliment those vadde vadde tires naa? Is this not what should be given as DFOs (dealer fitment options) when subsequent "MY launches" happen? (MY = model year). It is like "this tire, this shock absorber, this torsion bar, this leaf spring" / "that tire, that shock absorber, that torsion bar, that leaf spring". If INTENT is there, everything is possible. Alas!

Anyways, please do what I told you, at least you will get some respite. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th March 2015, 18:10   #218
BHPian

Behram

Being half gujarati i agree " bhais aagad bagwaat, samjaveene kya jayeeye"
But its lucidrios to see that they are grossly disorganised and confused.I spend an hour with them in their store and they were unable to even work on thier system to dig in parts catalogue.They had a printout of XUV 500,Scorpio and Xylo part catalogue, and the stores manager could quote their parts without even taking a peep

It seems the most problematic one are these vehicles in same order.The others like thar are obviously "company sacred secrets".Nothing known,nothing shared.

To others expecting the new Thar to land on their lap with modified dahboard my sympathies : i saw a technical bulletin marked as " Intermediate Update Thar : Interim Refresh

New Superstrucure with Slanted end profile
Hand Brake Gaiter
New Door Trims
Themed Vinyl Seats
New Floor Mat
IP central bezel with new Cubic Structure { What does this mean }
and some nuts and bolts cosmetic stuff.

I was also curious as why would M&M do something new as long as there are pople flocking to buy it,highly unlikely of Mahindra.

I remember some donkey years back, WHO had placed through some intermediateries an order for 15 vehicles each from Mahindra and Force specifically asking them to send their service manuals first for them to qualify, and you wont believe they send their normal user manual that too copies with pencil stencilled actual VIN and forgot to send their vehicles for nearly 2 year.It was astonishing for us as to why they both behaved the same way.

Both these companies were a butt of jokes for those firangs as one of my team got the vehicles after 2 years.Things dont seem to change at both of this companies.Let me not speak about Tatas, I almost "freely" killed myself once on a nonresponsive frozen Freelander in Jaffna, buts thats a story for some other time

Admin : Kindly change this to relevant forum if its a offtopic musing.
Old 25th March 2015, 18:14   #219
Team-BHP Support

What size are those tyres? After experiencing tires, shocks and composite leaf spring on different occasion my recommendation is to go for shocks upgrade before anything.

Bilstein, Iron Man and Tein have shocks suitable for Thar and i would say those are really paisa vasool stuff. Not only do they enhance the ride quality but overall handling improves tremendously. Vehicle is more predictable on road as well as improves performance offroad by limiting the bouncing issue of front IFS suspension.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 18:26   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay Stanley View Post

To others expecting the new Thar to land on their lap with modified dahboard my sympathies : i saw a technical bulletin marked as " Intermediate Update Thar : Interim Refresh

New Superstrucure with Slanted end profile
Hand Brake Gaiter
New Door Trims
Themed Vinyl Seats
New Floor Mat
IP central bezel with new Cubic Structure { What does this mean }
and some nuts and bolts cosmetic stuff.

Sympathies with you for posting half cooked information.
The thar with above said upgrades is already on sale since Dec 2014/Jan 2015, the one with updated dashboard is expected later this year.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 19:19   #221
BHPian

Good if your word turns true and iam wrong by all counts.Since i had an hour to kill at the stores.I spoke to the guys there who mentioned that the dashboard version will be for the export market and will be subsequently released in india after the required testing. A Mahindra guy from Pune also joined in and said that the Dashboard and Handbrake had some fastning issues and is being looked into by some research team.

Anyway let me enjoy my peanutty M&M's while waiting for our own M&M to change
Old 25th March 2015, 21:20   #222
BHPian

I'm planning on booking a Thar in the next 6 months. Should I wait? Suggestions anyone?
Old 26th March 2015, 00:05   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
I'm planning on booking a Thar in the next 6 months. Should I wait? Suggestions anyone?
buy a thar only if

- If you want only a good looking vehicle
- If you can live with low fuel efficiency
- If you can handle rattle and weird sounds
- If you dont have a back problem as seats are not at all good
- if you can live with excessive body roll
- If you can manage in most bland interiors ever
IF YOU CAN MANAGE THE OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT OF ATTENTION THAT YOU WILL GET WITH IT. . . EVEN A 7 SERIES OWNER WOULD LOOK AT YOU IN AWE

dont buy a thar

- If you expect a SUV out of a jeep
- If you have young kids
- If you dont have the balls to own a jeep
sukhi29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 07:15   #224
BHPian

Rightly said

if you are looking for decent interiors look elsewhere
if you are looking for safety look elsewhere
if you are looking for SUV in Jeep Format :Wait forever
if you are looking for a soundproof cabin look elsewhere
if you are looking for a proper handbrake look elsewhere
if you are loooking for a proper wiper return look elsewhere
if you are looking for a.......Stop Dreaming

It squeaks
It buckles
It rattles
Its a Thar

Its a fun vehicle
Its a low maintainance vehicle
Its a DIY easily modifiable vehicle
Its a head turner
Its a reasonable go anywhere somewhere vehicle
Its a sturdy vehicle
Its a vehicle that wont look half bad if you have dents
Its a vehile that takes scratches and shows as a scar
Its a Thar
Vinay Stanley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 20:24   #225

Dear JonathanArmy

I agree with both VinaySir & Sukhi. My only advice is this. Thar cannot be the first vehicle in your house. Buy a car and a Thar. And don't buy this for anyone else but yourself. I took it to Jaipur recently and couldn't help but pose as a photographer relative decided to try me and my Thar for modelling. Posting a few pix which will explain how you start to fall in love with the Jeep. And tend to ignore slowly most of its anomalies - I dare say a sentiment Mahindra has exploited ao far.

As a guy in a youtube video on thar says: "owning a jeep is like falling in love. Sometimes it is trouble but otherwise, its a lot of fun."

Ask yourself if you are crazy enough to spend 8.5 lakh rupees on a imperfection and impracticality. If your mind and heart still say yes, welcome to the club. It's a #JeepThing.

Thanks

Su
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1427381635085.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1427381649853.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1427381661667.jpg  

Sanket.u is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks