Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2015, 19:20   #286
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
A blinking engine check light indicates either a malfunctioning clutch sensor or brake sensor. Please take your Jeep to a reliable ASC who will hook up his computer to the Jeep's port and identify the malfunctioning part in a jiffy!

The loss of power is an integral mechanism to prevent high speed driving (and a potential accident) with malfunctioning parts!
I took it to another ASC. They too are of the opinion that there is some short circuit in the engine wiring. When they disconnect the MAF sensor the power loss problem goes away but the vehicle smokes a lot. They replaced it with the MAF of another Thar but the problem was still persisting. Solution they advised was to replace the engine and dash wiring!
Old 26th December 2015, 19:24   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
I took it to another ASC. They too are of the opinion that there is some short circuit in the engine wiring. When they disconnect the MAF sensor the power loss problem goes away but the vehicle smokes a lot. They replaced it with the MAF of another Thar but the problem was still persisting. Solution they advised was to replace the engine and dash wiring!
The computer connected to the OBD port should identify the actual defective component, if it is a short-circuit, so be it; but please do not accept guesswork!
Otherwise it will first be the wiring, then something else!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 26th December 2015 at 19:31.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 19:38   #288
BHPian

Quote:
The computer connected to the OBD port should identify the actual defective component, if it is a short-circuit, so be it; but please do not accept guesswork!
Otherwise it will first be the wiring, then something else!
Yeah thats what they were saying. For confirmation they said they needed to check my ECU on another vehicle. Total cost of replacing the wiring would come to around 13k!
I guess I need to take the vehicle to a third party center too.
Old 28th December 2015, 17:05   #289

Hi, I have a terrible problem of coolant leakage in my Thar.

Brought it to Noida Sector 2 workshop and have been told that it has got to do with this blue ring (picture attached). This is where the coolant is leaking.

Are there more like me or is this a problem exclusive to me?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-1451302397087.jpg  

Old 28th December 2015, 17:18   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
Are there more like me or is this a problem exclusive to me?
Touch wood no issues, this seems to be the thermostat valve area. A new seal with sealant should solve the issue. Also check the working of the valve if it is opening when warmed up.
Old 28th December 2015, 17:21   #291
Senior - BHPian

My Thar had some serious coolant drinking issues till the first service.
During delivery, the coolant tank was full. By the first service, it had been refilled twice.
Post the first service, this drinking habit seems to have disappeared.
Is your Thar new?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 28th December 2015, 20:01   #292
BHPian

Mine has been having coolant consumption issues on and off. Pretty much all hoses and seals have been replaced for leaks and potential leaks.
Issue stays quiet for a while then surfaces again.
Faced iy recently after driving in a mammoth 7 hour traffic jam and also slow traffic on heavy rain/flood type days. Been keeping a bottle of coolant in the Thar all the time.
Old 28th December 2015, 20:18   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Mine has been having coolant consumption issues on and off. Pretty much all hoses and seals have been replaced for leaks and potential leaks.
Issue stays quiet for a while then surfaces again.
Faced iy recently after driving in a mammoth 7 hour traffic jam and also slow traffic on heavy rain/flood type days. Been keeping a bottle of coolant in the Thar all the time.
Check if the overflow tank is letting out coolant (you should be able to see the spillage signs), have seen it happen in extreme conditions. Now i keep it filled only half filled, due to overflow issue through that small hole on the cap.
Old 29th December 2015, 09:24   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check if the overflow tank is letting out coolant (you should be able to see the spillage signs), have seen it happen in extreme conditions. Now i keep it filled only half filled, due to overflow issue through that small hole on the cap.
I had suspected the overflow tank but never saw any visible spills. The radiator was checked for leakage as well multiple times and that seems fine too. Weird part is that the issue goes away for a while and later when i check the overflow bottle is empty.
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:19   #295
BHPian

Guys, The AC Relay Chatter on my Thar is still unresolved for the past 4 months, getting to me a bit now.

First time it happened, I was told that the grounding wire was loose and they tightened it.

Problem reappears after a few hours and they took it back and kept it for 2 days, claimed they have replaced the Relay, but the persistent Chatter continues.

any suggestions

Cheers!
Old 4th April 2016, 12:41   #296
BHPian

Hi guys! Salutations from a greenhorn in all matters automotive, has any one considered grafting an autobox into a thar,as many here am enamoured of the jeep but deem it impractical for daily usage without an autoshift(the left knee,it begs respite) and a hard top.

Since the hard top is a non issue,I am looking for the assemblage of sage minds here, to expound on this auto-shifting idea,especially if the 4wd system can be integrated efficiently(ala' the Scorpio 4WD-AT).

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:06   #297
BHPian

Hi all, i am two months into the ownership of a thar. Can someone guide me about the autolocking hubs at the front and answer a few queries please. Being a newbie of 4wd, my knowledge is limited.

1) My understanding is that the locking of the front hubs occur as the front propeller shaft drives the axles to the wheels, in the 4wd mode, right?. If so, why the auto/manual hubs? Why can't they behave in same way as the rear wheels do when they are driven by the propeller or when coasting in neutral without any drive from the propeller?

2) Isn't there a differential for the front? Or is that too managed by the hub locking/unlocking?

3) Does the clicking sound always occur from the hubs while starting to move forwards/backwards, irrespective of drive modes?

4) Is the mechanical differential locker of the rear always in action at slow speeds, irrespective of drive modes? It is a real pain at slow u-turns and i think my clutch will wear out faster.

5) I have a terrible feeling that my vehicle is always in 4wd, no matter how much of reversing, 2wd/4wd shifting i do. I have noticed that the propeller to the front and the drive axles of front wheels rotating as the vehicle moves forwards or backwards in 2wd mode. The rotation of both happens even when the vehicle is pushed forwards or backwards in neutral. Is it normal? If not, what could be malfunctioning? Hubs? Gear box? 2wd/4wd shifter linkage?

Done about 2500 kms now and is due for the first service in a few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by crdi : 22nd April 2016 at 12:08. Reason: Spell check
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:17   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Guys, The AC Relay Chatter on my Thar is still unresolved for the past 4 months, getting to me a bit now.

First time it happened, I was told that the grounding wire was loose and they tightened it.

Problem reappears after a few hours and they took it back and kept it for 2 days, claimed they have replaced the Relay, but the persistent Chatter continues.

any suggestions

Cheers!
Does it happen once the vehicle gets heated up (around a certain temp range)/ in bumper to bumper traffic or regular usage?
If so, it could be something to do with the fan/condenser coil connections. Had the same issue in mine as well.
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:54   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post

any suggestions

Cheers!
Please check details on my thread - I had a similar issue.
After dismantling the entire dash-board, it was found that the placement of the thermostat was improper.
Once that was corrected, no more issues!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:20   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Does it happen once the vehicle gets heated up (around a certain temp range)/ in bumper to bumper traffic or regular usage?
If so, it could be something to do with the fan/condenser coil connections. Had the same issue in mine as well.
Hello Jeeva,

No, my problem is totally erratic, can happen anytime happens also on long runs, please can you provide more details as to where were these suspected connections inside the cabin or in the engine bay

Quote:
Please check details on my thread - I had a similar issue.
After dismantling the entire dash-board, it was found that the placement of the thermostat was improper.
Once that was corrected, no more issues!
Oh, no wonder they do not want to touch the thermostat, is it a delicate darling that says touch me not.?!

Getting Mahindra A.S.S guys to open up the dashboard is another uphill task, so as I have a front facia on which the Thermostat and the switches along with the Music System is mounted, I guess I will have to just open that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks