Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2006, 21:44   #136
BHPian

Destinator 6

So i got my holux GPSlim236 + destinator 6 + PDA mount combo this time on my trip to the US.
I will be reaching back to delhi in mid october, which is when I plan to buy the Satguide destinator maps for delhi.
The holux unit is really small - matchbox sized (much smaller than i expected it would be) and catches the gps signal really quick. I recommend it to anyone thinking of purchasing a gps receiver.
The destinator software + US maps are also excellent, but the real test would be in india using the delhi/ncr map.
Old 2nd October 2006, 22:47   #137
BHPian

Anybody using his gps in a V-Cool"ed" car, if so.. hows the signal? does it take long time to aquire the fix?
I am planning to V-Cool my car and also ofcourse use my GPS.
Old 3rd October 2006, 01:25   #138
BHPian

hey netarchie..I guess any sunfilm would probably weaken the signal to the in built PDA GPS receiver..so,acquiring a fix would surely take much longer time than in a non-sunfilm car..(I mean non front windscreeen sunfilmed car)..
I don't have front sunfilm on any of my vehicles..but do have side+rear films..
I would suggest you connect an external GPS antenna to your unit incase you wanna v kool your front windscreen buddy..

-sr
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

V-cool & GPS

Netarchie: My safari had a very dark film on the windows, rear & side glasses. And a very transparent film on the inside of the windscreen. Then I acquired a Garmin iQue 3200 GPS. This used to work fine inside the car when mounted on the winddscreen and used to find the staellites very fast. After getting challaned quite a few times for the dark screen I decided to go in for the 3M 33% film.

The idiot at the accessories shop while removing the film also removed the windscreen film. I had to then get the 3M film installed on the windscreen. Eversince that, my GPS would not catch the sat from inside. I had to invest ina Rs.9000 external antenna from Garmin for the GPS. This now works like a beauty..

So, before you V-Cool, put a patch of the film just above where you fix ur GPS on the windscreen. try locally for a couple of days to see as to how fast or slow ur GPS gets the fix. After satisfying yourself then only go for the full filming of the screen. Or else invest in an external antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Anybody using his gps in a V-Cool"ed" car, if so.. hows the signal? does it take long time to aquire the fix?
I am planning to V-Cool my car and also ofcourse use my GPS.
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:40   #140
Team-BHP Support

gd1418, it was due to metal oxide in the V cool film. Some high end cars come with metal oxide front glass to reduce radiation. Even in those you need an external antella.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I've started using my GPS receiver with my pocket PC and using mapking mpas for the same. I felt that these maps are not so accurate and moreover the area i live in (HSR layout) doesnt have much details for that area.
I have however not been to other areas and just started using it for a day. I'll also try that with other areas and yet to learn / go thru the manual to see other features like routing and how to make use of fuzzy learning and stuff like that.

I had one question about the maps for highways, what u guys using for highways and other places in karnataka? suppose if I plan a trip to couple of other districts in KA or TN, is there any map that can help me find the right route!
thanks.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:22   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan
I had one question about the maps for highways, what u guys using for highways and other places in karnataka? suppose if I plan a trip to couple of other districts in KA or TN, is there any map that can help me find the right route!
thanks.
I use Garmin Highway map in mapking its not avialable i guess..
Old 4th October 2006, 22:08   #143
BHPian

Maybe i will try my GPS inside a V-Cool demo car.. before i have it fixed in my car.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 5th October 2006, 12:21   #144
Team-BHP Support

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/021...20for%20gps%22
This is a simple DIY antenna if you dont want to spend big $$ for external antennas.
Old 5th October 2006, 20:53   #145
BHPian

Thats a very interesting article for making your own external anntena for GPS.

Thanks
Old 11th October 2006, 10:56   #146
BHPian

Found this site - www.mapmyindia.com ... Will be usefull for non GPS users also.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:42   #147
BHPian

The article on the home made reciever is great ! In the process of making one , ill let u guys know how it works out.
Old 13th October 2006, 20:48   #148
BHPian

I V-Cooled my front windshield today. The gps is working great with it, no issues here.
Old 13th October 2006, 21:49   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
I V-Cooled my front windshield today. The gps is working great with it, no issues here.
thanks for the feedback..now even I can think of getting a sun tint done on my front windscreen..
One thing wanted to ask - won't the front sun screen slowly get pulled off from the area from the area where the PDA GPS suction mount is stuck on the front windshield?..because the suction created when you put the GPS suction disc mount will surely be trying to pull on the front tint...right?..

cheers,
-sr
Old 14th October 2006, 08:53   #150
Senior - BHPian

Suction mount & sun film

I've been using the Garmin suction mount for the last one year on my Safari that has a windscreen sun-film by 3M. I have removed the mount only twice and no issues with the film getting sucked/damaged or removed.

However, I had to remove the mount twice because had to install on a friend's vehicle for a demo. Otherwise the mount remains stuck at one place in my Safari..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
thanks for the feedback..now even I can think of getting a sun tint done on my front windscreen..
One thing wanted to ask - won't the front sun screen slowly get pulled off from the area from the area where the PDA GPS suction mount is stuck on the front windshield?..because the suction created when you put the GPS suction disc mount will surely be trying to pull on the front tint...right?..

cheers,
-sr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks