Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 14:05   #151
BHPian

gps with a carpc

hi guys,
i've been using gps with my carpc for a while now.
i use mapking (pc version) with the mumbai map when i'm in the city and google earth for outstation trips.
the gps app is embedded in the frontend or software interface that is used for the carputer, so you don't see the window frame etc.
here's a screenshot of it running in the frontend

here's another running with the window maximised in the frontend

a screenhot of it working in the carpc (s/w not embedded)

heres a pic to give you an idea of my screen mounted in the front. its a 7" TFT LCD touchscreen runnin at 800x600, 32bit resolution, so its bright & clear.

an actual pic of it in the car (not embedded again. note : exposure on the camera was turned all the way down to -2.0 because the lcd's bright)

will follow up with some clearer pics......
Old 16th October 2006, 11:24   #152
BHPian

here's a day pic of the lcd. it can swivel & tilt as needed for better 'viewability'.

here's the bluetooth gps receiver placed under the windscreen.

pics of external gps antenna coming up...
Old 17th October 2006, 19:16   #153
BHPian

Shldn
Wow, Nice pics there, of your car PC, and by the way thanks for your email.
I cant wait to get the thing running in my car.

I will be further bothering you.
Old 17th October 2006, 19:26   #154
BHPian

I have a mounting device stuck to my dashboard. if you have suction mount, why would you want remove it frequently .. so it stays stuck. So I guess not damage to your sun film in the windshield.
Old 17th October 2006, 22:44   #155
BHPian

very informative thread. im on the lookout for a good bluetooth gps receiver, anyone used this one? it seems like new version of the holux gp 236
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Holux-GPSlim...QQcmdZViewItem

also how fast does it work with a pda over bluetooth? does it depend on the pda specs too?

Last edited by cheap_deal : 17th October 2006 at 22:47.
Old 17th October 2006, 23:05   #156
Team-BHP Support

if u want a pda gps go for one from hp or something.. ipaq hw 6900 egs.. unless u already have a pda which supports..

in india they charge 5k for a city map, works fine and bangalore map is quite comprehensive, was playing around last weekend with one and was fun, worked almost 90% of the time in the car, unless obstructed by very tall buildings, has some kewl voice assistance also .. yes speed will be dependent on the pda and this particular model had a 450 processor which was quite decent
Old 19th October 2006, 11:26   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn
pics of external gps antenna coming up...
here's my external antenna.it has a strong magnetic base and just sticks on the roof . the wire is routed thru the rubber lining of the windscreen, and into the cabin. it plugs into the mmcx connector on the gps receiver. it definitely helps in getting a faster lock esp for cold starts of the receiver & in holding the signal once locked.
Old 19th October 2006, 17:23   #158
BHPian

I just spoke to Nippon (sales agents of Satguide). They refused to sell me the Delhi map on its own. They said its for Rs. 3000 but i have to buy it with Destinator as a package for 10k.

Does anyone know where i can get just the map ?

thanks.
Old 20th October 2006, 12:20   #159
BHPian

I am yet to get the destinator map for delhi, but I did by the mapking one for delhi/NCR.
Have not been to delhi with it as yet, but i found that for most parts of New Gurgaon, there is an error in the map.
Like I am driving on the main sector road, and it thinks I am moving about in the wilderness nearby (some 100m away from the main road).
Anyone else faced this?
Is this an issue with the satguide (destinator) map as well?
It would suck if that is indeed the case. And letme see if I can get someone to sell me just the delhi map for destinator for 3k. I already have bot destinator 6 and am in no mood to shell out 10k.
Old 20th October 2006, 12:23   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
yes speed will be dependent on the pda and this particular model had a 450 processor which was quite decent
I have had no problems with regards to performance with my KJAM using both mapking (delhi/NCR) and destinator maps (which I used extensively for a couple of weeks in US).
And KJAM has a 200 MHz OMAP processor.
Old 20th October 2006, 14:28   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu
Like I am driving on the main sector road, and it thinks I am moving about in the wilderness nearby (some 100m away from the main road).
this depends on your gps receiver and the no of satellites you've got a lock on. besides civilian gps has an accuracy of 30 mts i think. but if you've locked on to 3-4 satellites you should get a fairly accurate reading.
heres a screenshot of the satellite's locked on for mapking pc version.
Old 21st October 2006, 09:44   #162
Senior - BHPian

Well the Garmin map for Delhi & Mumbai that I have on my Garmin iQue 3200 is pretty accurate. I have not had the issues that you have mentioned about the mapking maps..

Quote:
I am yet to get the destinator map for delhi, but I did by the mapking one for delhi/NCR.
Have not been to delhi with it as yet, but i found that for most parts of New Gurgaon, there is an error in the map.
Anyone else faced this?
Is this an issue with the satguide (destinator) map as well?
It would suck if that is indeed the case. And letme see if I can get someone to sell me just the delhi map for destinator for 3k. I already have bot destinator 6 and am in no mood to shell out 10k.
Old 22nd October 2006, 14:27   #163
BHPian

hmm... yesterday I went to delhi and tried the mapking map... did not have this problem the moment I hit the mehrauli gurgaon road towards delhi.
before that the reading on the map was off by about 70-100 meters at least if not more.
While coming back, things were fine till I left the MG road and then it was once again confused - thought I was driving way off the main sector road.

And I always have 4-5+ satellites locked on - so that does not seem to be the issue..
So I guess the map DOES have a problem with the new gurgaon areas (dlf ph 1, 4, 5, Sector 54, 55, 56, etc areas.

gd1418, I see you are from gurgaon, so the garmin map gives you good results on the sector road going from mega mall/bristol hotel to Sector 55-56?
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:22   #164
Senior - BHPian

Yup. It gives correct results. I've marked my house as a waypoint. And when I go on the navigate mode, it charts the route correctly.

Quote:
gd1418, I see you are from gurgaon, so the garmin map gives you good results on the sector road going from mega mall/bristol hotel to Sector 55-56?
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Yup. It gives correct results. I've marked my house as a waypoint. And when I go on the navigate mode, it charts the route correctly.
Thanks for the inputs gd1418.
I shall try with destinator map for delhi which I should have by Tuesday only because of the diwali vacation.
Shall post if that gives better results, at least for gurgaon.

I dont think i can run the que software with delhi map on any PDA, I need a garmin gps is what I heard. Is that right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks