Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 12:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I have been searching for LED DRL bulbs for a long time. I procured one from abroad but they turned out to give error on the MFD of my Superb. Anyone knowing local reliable source of error free DRL bulbs would be most helpful.
Philips makes aftermarket DRLs' and they are available in India. More information on the link below.

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...tionID=1058682

I think the problem with your car is incorrect wiring. Please get the wiring checked by a good professional. Also the LED bulbs that you procured may not be CANBUS compliant.

Last edited by vikram_d : 1st February 2013 at 12:11.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I think the problem with your car is incorrect wiring.
It is brand new car and there is no issue with the wiring. The stock OE Osram bulbs work perfectly with car. I am looking for LED DRL bulbs and NOT LED strips which are fitted off-market. The Bulb specifications are P21W -

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-superb-drl-bulb-p21w.jpg

And the LED Bulb needed are something like these (but they should be CANBUS error free)

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-superb-drl-p21w-21-smd-1156-canbus-led-white-bulb.jpg

Thanks for your concern BTW. Anyone having any information for these type of bulbs to be locally procured would be most helpful.
Old 1st February 2013, 22:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It is brand new car and there is no issue with the wiring. The stock OE Osram bulbs work perfectly with car. I am looking for LED DRL bulbs and NOT LED strips which are fitted off-market. The Bulb specifications are P21W -

And the LED Bulb needed are something like these (but they should be CANBUS error free)

Thanks for your concern BTW. Anyone having any information for these type of bulbs to be locally procured would be most helpful.
I have the same spec DRLs in the Laura. Its very hard to source error free LEDs hence I did a work around by fitting a resistor and its been error free for over a year now. Check my ownership thread for details
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 01:46   #34
ACS
BHPian

Could you please recommend me a DRL brand(if possible the model name as well) for my white SX4? I have been thinking for a while and now the instinct is more.
I have seen a couple of SX4 fitted with DRL but it would be great if I have more options.

Thanks!
Old 4th February 2013, 08:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

What is the legality of aftermarket DRLs? Aftermarket fog lamps are banned as per my understanding except in certain places where the climate demands it. Anything similar for DRLs?
Old 9th February 2013, 15:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

SO far all discussions have been revolving around the functionality / need of DRLs in the Indian conditions. I was also inclined to have a pair of DRLs on my Swift to increase the oomph factor. But my queries are on the implementation. Request responses -

1. If the DRLs are fitted on the lower bumper grills, can we do the wiring so that these are ON when the ignition is ON & goes off when the engine is shut down / key taken off from the hole?

2. If these are fitted on the bumpers, how do we remove the bumper later? I know the company fitted fog lamps have detachable holders/sockets which connect the wires to the lamps.

Do we need to cut the wiring to keep the bumpers away when we remove it?

3. If I go for the angel eyes (along with aftermarket projector set up), can I wire the rings so that these light up the same way as point 1? That's when the key is in ACC position (just before firing up).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th February 2013 at 15:17.
Old 9th February 2013, 15:30   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. If the DRLs are fitted on the lower bumper grills, can we do the wiring so that these are ON when the ignition is ON & goes off when the engine is shut down / key taken off from the hole?

2. If these are fitted on the bumpers, how do we remove the bumper later? I know the company fitted fog lamps have detachable holders/sockets which connect the wires to the lamps.

Do we need to cut the wiring to keep the bumpers away when we remove it?

3. If I go for the angel eyes (along with aftermarket projector set up), can I wire the rings so that these light up the same way as point 1? That's when the key is in ACC position (just before firing up).
1. Yes, you can do it. I guess most of cars do this way.
2. If you fix it on the lower air dam, bumper can be removed by removing this air dam (I think so since I removed just these when I went for custom mesh grill)
3. Yes, you can do it but these CCFL rings but it's best left as a parking light. These rings wont last long. Mine lasted 2 years. Currently they are not working.

My current park light position
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...m-modz-12.html

Previous
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...stom-modz.html

DRL's (Since I have a mesh grill I stuck it using double sided tape)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...om-modz-8.html
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 15:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Found this on another thread. I quite like the idea. Augments the principle of 'being seen by other motorists on the road'!

Not sure 'bout the legal aspect though. Emergency vehicles in our country do not use this kind of lighting, do they?

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 16th February 2013 at 15:53.
Old 16th February 2013, 17:15   #39
BHPian

One more case in the point that DRLs provide necessary visibility (to other drivers) and should not be viewed as mere embellishments (although looking good is a definite plus). They are imperative in the northern countries - Northern US, Canada and Northern Europe:
In these countries, in summer, the sun sets really late and is quite bright even when it is close to the horizon. The more one goes northwards, the more this is true. Driving into the sun when it is low on the horizon is like facing oncoming traffic with a zillion watt headlight. There is no way you can see oncoming traffic although it is not dark enough for auto-headlights. On numerous such occasions, a string of white LEDs on the oncoming vehicle has felt like the Christmas star, showing me to safety.

Driving in India is fraught with distractions in any case. I'm sure we could do with a little more visibility for our cars.
supersom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 19:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have DRLs on my i20 and after installing the DRLs I've noticed that they're especially helpful on roads where there is no divider.

Before the DRLs ppl on the other lane always used to overtake the car in their lane by crossing over to my lane(opposite traffic lane) and I have had to slow down many times.

Now when they pop out into my lane, they immediately pop back in and overtake, if they have to after passing me! I love this change in behavior brought about by DRLs!

Btw I have Philips LEDaylight 4 DRLs. I haven't wired them to turn off at night as I almost always drive in the day!

Here's a pic of them installed

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-philips-led-daylight-4-lit-closeup.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-philips-led-daylight-4-lit-back.jpg
Old 12th August 2013, 02:32   #41
BHPian

My D.I.Y. DRL Installation

For a D.I.Y Insect like me its hard to ignore DRL's these days, More and More cars are getting this installed so I wanted to have it.

economical DRL's were ordered @Rs.210 from Ebay.in
Arrived Saturday, Installed today (Sunday).

Its nothing big but enjoy a dozen pics.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130810_175539.jpg
DRL Pack

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_002706.jpg
The DRL 8 L.E.D. Each Side

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_013708.jpg
Can't stop myself from opening the DRL and peek inside.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_145227.jpg
Placed and checked before making the holes.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_150054.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_150116.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_150308.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_151045.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_151838.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_152920.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_202909.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130811_202945.jpg

Ah forgot to tell, As I've multiple Switches on my Gear Console I used a existing switch which comes from "ACC" position, so when car key is at "ACC" position the DRL's are ON, however the switch in between is a manual over-ride for sometimes.

Do not forget to use proper heat resistive wires and NEVER avoid using a extra Fuse, a Rs.10 fuse can save you from having a cooked car.
ghpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 09:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

As per law it is mandatory in Scandinavian countries to have their lamps switched on always. DRL's originated from there and is practiced to be wired as soon as you fire up your Car.

Here is the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Because Motorcycles are less visible, it is mandatory for them to have the low beam in on position as soon as the ignition is switched on. Reason why battery tenders are sold a lot.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: My D.I.Y. DRL Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
For a D.I.Y Insect like me its hard to ignore DRL's these days, More and More cars are getting this installed so I wanted to have it.

economical DRL's were ordered @Rs.210 from Ebay.in
Arrived Saturday, Installed today (Sunday).

Its nothing big but enjoy a dozen pics.

Ah forgot to tell, As I've multiple Switches on my Gear Console I used a existing switch which comes from "ACC" position, so when car key is at "ACC" position the DRL's are ON, however the switch in between is a manual over-ride for sometimes.

Do not forget to use proper heat resistive wires and NEVER avoid using a extra Fuse, a Rs.10 fuse can save you from having a cooked car.
Ok - call it a coincidence - but I had ordered the same stuff and it arrived a couple of days back.

Now I am in bit of a loss - if I connect the positive to the battery +ve and negative to ground, the LEDs fire up all right.
But how do I do the wiring if they are to come on when key position is ACC? Online guides tell you to tap a fuse that comes on with ACC, like the cig lighter.The cig lighter fuse for i10 is a 15 amp one in the cabin fusebox. I am kind of unsure of how to tap it for fear of blowing something up.

Did you tap a fuse (maybe earlier while you put in your switch?)? If so, which one? can you please post a picture?

thanks!

Last edited by blackasta : 12th August 2013 at 12:51.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Ok - call it a coincidence - but I had ordered the same stuff and it arrived a couple of days back.

Now I am in bit of a loss - if I connect the positive to the battery +ve and negative to ground, the LEDs fire up all right.
But how do I do the wiring if they are to come on when key position is ACC? Online guides tell you to tap a fuse that comes on with ACC, like the cig lighter.The cig lighter fuse for i10 is a 15 amp one in the cabin fusebox. I am kind of unsure of how to tap it for fear of blowing something up.

Did you tap a fuse (maybe earlier while you put in your switch?)? If so, which one? can you please post a picture?

thanks!
Just run a Single wire from behind the "cig. lighter socket" to under the bonnet where DRL's are.
As car body would already provide -Ve, you need to run the positive from "Cig.Lighter Socket"

+Ve one on lighter socket is one which is in Center, you can touch it from under dashboard, its should be a detachable wire, follow the wire it should be having a joint within couple of inches, where you can TAP, and Tape.

As "Acc" should already be having fuse in fusebox, its least risky to follow this method.

My under-dash and gear console has lots of L.E.D.s, please search I had posted pictures for that mod.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
For a D.I.Y Insect like me its hard to ignore DRL's these days, More and More cars are getting this installed so I wanted to have it. Economical DRL's were ordered @Rs.210 from Ebay.in

Hi mate...these are costly on E-bay. did check it personally at Karol bagh market here in delhi and they cost rs 100 only for a pair and with one month warranty. they got delivered yesterday itself and felt really weird when i chckd at the market. Got them fixed onto my NHC i-vtec. In fact more designs and quality are available in local market which are better than the one that you and myself have bought.

Last edited by manson : 12th August 2013 at 19:50.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks