Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 19:19   #46
BHPian

Re: The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights

Su1978, you are right, but I checked at local store and they were charging 400 for this one.
So I ordered it from ebay.
I know this product is spreading fast and got cheaper and cheaper.

Edit: it would be nice if you can click a few pics of other types of DRL's available on your next visit to Karol Bagh.

Last edited by ghpk : 12th August 2013 at 19:20.
Old 13th August 2013, 00:23   #47
BANNED

DRL is mostly to make you more visible especially in the rear view mirror of other cars.
Please consider that in foggy weather conditions or rain when the rear wind screen has water (especially in sedans no rear wiper) and the out board rear view mirror and the glasses on the doors all have droplets of water obscuring visibility.
Many persons I have seen comment that it does not illuminate the road ahead, well it is not suppose to.
And when the weather is fine what's the harm in looking cool!
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 13:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: My D.I.Y. DRL Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Just run a Single wire from behind the "cig. lighter socket" to under the bonnet where DRL's are.
As car body would already provide -Ve, you need to run the positive from "Cig.Lighter Socket"

+Ve one on lighter socket is one which is in Center, you can touch it from under dashboard, its should be a detachable wire, follow the wire it should be having a joint within couple of inches, where you can TAP, and Tape.

As "Acc" should already be having fuse in fusebox, its least risky to follow this method.

My under-dash and gear console has lots of L.E.D.s, please search I had posted pictures for that mod.
Well I could not find where the cig lighter wires are - everything is so densely packed in an i10!

What I did is I tapped the spare fuse slot for DRL (yes - i10 has a DRL fuse slot which is unused) with a spare 10A fuse, drew the wire in the engine bay through the door beading (again - could not find a way through the i10 firewall) to connect it with the DRL +ve, and grounded the -ve wire in the engine bay itself.

The DRLs come on when the key is at 'ON' position.

Sorry for the crummy cell phone pictures.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123537.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123612.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123628.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123716.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123904.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123910.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_123944.jpg
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 00:47   #49
BHPian

Blackasta: thanks for excellent pics.
Its interesting to know i10 has DRL fuse, so it might have connectors available under the bonnet too, will check that in my Santro soon.

Anyway I cannot resist myself from turning on DRL's and view them every night
Clicked a pic in dark without the flash, looks like this. (phone pic)

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20130815_drl.jpg
I already have 3 white L.E.D. each side, soldered along a resistor in my parking lights.

Last edited by ghpk : 16th August 2013 at 00:49. Reason: spell check
ghpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 12:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It is brand new car and there is no issue with the wiring. The stock OE Osram bulbs work perfectly with car. I am looking for LED DRL bulbs and NOT LED strips which are fitted off-market. The Bulb specifications are P21W -

Attachment 1045819

And the LED Bulb needed are something like these (but they should be CANBUS error free)

Attachment 1045820

Thanks for your concern BTW. Anyone having any information for these type of bulbs to be locally procured would be most helpful.
Hi Dkaile,
Have you had any luck on this thread? I have also been scouting for an LED replacement for the PY21W DRL bulb, but haven't been able to find a good alt. Incase you've managed to get a viable solution, pls share information on the same pls.

Cheers,
Sanju
Old 19th October 2013, 16:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
Have you had any luck on this thread? I have also been scouting for an LED replacement for the PY21W DRL bulb, but haven't been able to find a good alt. Incase you've managed to get a viable solution, pls share information on the same pls.
Nothing yet. Still sticking to the OE bulbs.
Old 20th December 2013, 19:44   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Just want to check, has anyone used these?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Fog-LED-L...ht_2493wt_1271

I have been using these
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Mercedes-Benz...ht_2007wt_1271

but then one of them had water seepage and konked off.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th December 2013 at 19:49.
Old 20th December 2013, 20:02   #53
BHPian

I use a Philips Daylight 4 led. Which doesn't have any connection with the stock wiring at all. Connected to the battery directly and switches on when the engine is running and switches off when the engine is off, automatically.

It gives a certain presence for your car. Which is a good thing considering the safety or bling aspect

Here is a pic of DRL with the fogs and park light on
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-_dsc9265.jpg
vaisakhr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 21:04   #54
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since none my cars had DRLs, I use parking lights as DRL.

I understand it is not correct use, but certainly helps. I see more vehicles giving me way without me honking.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Since none my cars had DRLs, I use parking lights as DRL.

I understand it is not correct use, but certainly helps. I see more vehicles giving me way without me honking.
That's because at least some of them think you have switched on your head lights and is driving on an emergency. Since most cars have park lights integrated into the headlamp cluster, it may be misinterpreted as headlamp switched on. I hope people won't misuse this behaviour to the extent that no one would give way to an actual emergency vehicle thinking it is just another case of 'DRL'.

Last edited by zenren : 20th December 2013 at 22:28.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:46   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
That's because at least some of them think you have switched on your head lights and is driving on an emergency. Since most cars have park lights integrated into the headlamp cluster, it may be misinterpreted as headlamp switched on. I hope people won't misuse this behaviour to the extent that no one would give way to an actual emergency vehicle thinking it is just another case of 'DRL'.
It is more of getting noticed, without honking or risking lane change by the vehicle, which is getting overtaken. Thus avoiding either proper signaling or accommodating to overtake.

My perception here is that, no one thinks hatchback/sedan is emergency vehicle.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
My perception here is that, no one thinks hatchback/sedan is emergency vehicle.
I'm not speaking about designated emergency vehicles like ambulances. In a lot of cases, you might not be in a position to wait for an ambulance to come and would rely on whichever vehicle you get in order to get an accident victim/patient to the hospital at the earliest. At least in Kerala, people drive with headlights on during daytime only to indicate such an emergency and most fellow road users give them the same priority as an ambulance. Not sure about the convention elsewhere.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 00:54   #58
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The vehicles which REALLY ought to have DRL's mandatory are motorbikes and scooters. In afternoon heat, every single bit of attention seeing wizardry is required by the two wheeler rider to keep his bones intact on the highway.
Absolutely. On the highway a biker is almost a visual non entity. Visualise this . A front section of the bike is a about a feet wide and handle bar is say about 30" wide (a thin horizontal strip so as to say and one can forget this visually) and the rider another 1 and half feet wide figure over that. So what we have is a thin vertical strip moving on the road in 3 digit speeds ( with all those performance bikes around now, I being owner of one) and a driver sitting high in a truck or bus or a fast moving car, it is so easy NOT TO SPOT the bike. and then the tunnel visions, the blind spots, the sun, glare and many more sum up to make the rider an invalid or say invisible entity sometime.

So I have made a habit to keep my head light always ON during daytime while riding and it has helped too as I am being Noticed and I am Conspicuous to the opposite traffic. Take this example. On a straight stretch I am overtaking a slow moving vehicle and from the opposite a car is over taking another car same time. With my head light OFF, the opposite driver concentrating on his overtaking, I am totally off his visual / mental picture. Now with my headlight ON, I catch his ATTENTION, so either he slows down, or at least makes some provisions for my safe passage. This is a true incident that happened with me.

The idea is with a headlight ON, you get that extra couple of Milli seconds of pause / attention which gives you a small window to you to re-adjust / re-orient your driving / riding which would not be possible in the absence of the light being ON.

Many of the modern bikes don't have a Turn 'Off' switch and it is mandatory to have the headlight ON in Europe / US while riding. But this switching ON the head light ( which also switch on the tail light) during day time drains the battery and draws attention from all well meaning pedestrians / vehicle users.
and I keep gesturing them that I am aware of the light being ON and it is fine.

So I believe that DRLs makes more sense for 2 wheelers for being seen by /visible to the bigger vehicles as they are the most vulnerable one's on the road. I also believe that DRL are not headlights in conventional sense, but just a beacon that "I am here. Please be careful"

Now guys any body fitted the DRL for a Motorcycle?? Do let me know the type / Model. I have plans to fit one for my Duke. Later on may be one on my car too
Old 4th January 2014, 11:45   #59
BHPian

Please advice where can i get installed flexible DRL tube Dual mod, Day time / Turn Signal light in cochin. Like one in Audi and Porsche, For my Skoda Rapid's headlight.Any mod experts ?

Already sourced the product from ebay.in
Kindly adviced
Attached Images

webblescott is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 12:49   #60
BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

I checked the post again. If you already have the DRL look for some local mechanic who knows the headlight job and self install the DRL if space is their using either superglue/hot glue or a double sided tape. If not, check the directory again. Bangalore has quite a few installers!

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 4th January 2014 at 12:57. Reason: Rechecked!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks