Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 16:37   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights

Okay so I have made up my mind really to get the DRLs - its now a real must & I need them in night also thanks to the horrible rural road conditions and absolute lack of light and reflection from road during rains on my daily night travel to home.

I have found a couple of good economical options on Aliexpress also (in case I don't find a good source for Hella / Philips DRLs in Pune). I would love to do it as a DIY.

Thanks to the pretty economy grade design of the Vista bumper, air-dam is the only place where these can be mounted without looking too garish.

Does anyone on the forum know if the Vista air-dam is just a press-fit? Can I just remove it by undoing the latches with a screwdriver or something & pulling it forward? Or it needs the bumper to be removed? I'd expect it to be a simple press-fit. Will check more. The mounting brackets will have to be screwed into the air-dam.

There are a lot of posts about DRLs being mounted on the air-dam in this thread also, but sadly none seem to show actually how that is done. Only the finished results are available...

Thanks for any pointers.
Old 5th July 2017, 17:19   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Okay so I have made up my mind really to get the DRLs - its now a real must & I need them in night also thanks to the horrible rural road conditions and absolute lack of light and reflection from road during rains on my daily night travel to home.

I have found a couple of good economical options on Aliexpress also (in case I don't find a good source for Hella / Philips DRLs in Pune). I would love to do it as a DIY.
If you can approach a Maruti Suzuki workshop, they'll have Philips DRLs as MGA. It's a perfect DRL considering it works the way a DRL is supposed to work, light up when car ignition is turned on and switch off once headlights are switched on. It comes with its own mounts which can be fixed with screws as per your liking.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20170624_103648.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-11-closeup.jpg
Close up view. Looks little crude but serves the purpose.

Why do you want them to be on at night? The light intensity causes a glare to eyes of incoming driver.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 5th July 2017 at 17:22.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 18:12   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If you can approach a Maruti Suzuki workshop, they'll have Philips DRLs as MGA. It's a perfect DRL considering it works the way a DRL is supposed to work, light up when car ignition is turned on and switch off once headlights are switched on. It comes with its own mounts which can be fixed with screws as per your liking.

Attachment 1654309

Attachment 1654310
Close up view. Looks little crude but serves the purpose.

Why do you want them to be on at night? The light intensity causes a glare to eyes of incoming driver.
Hey thanks a lot for the information. MGAs are exorbitantly costly when the same product is available cheaper outside. So looking for that.

I want to switch them on at night because of the specific areas through which I drive. Rural roads with ghat, no reflective paint on the streets / roads. Huge pot-holes (deep enough to even fetch crude oil from!). Very less traffic, and the traffic that exists on these roads as you can imagine - has high beams + DRLs + at least 2 auxiliary lamps burning our eyes. I strictly drive on low-beam & the total time for which my high beam bulbs have been used so far in 8 years will be about 30 minutes including pass-flashes!! I travel around 10PM for 30kms daily.

I need the DRLs to illuminate the road in immediate proximity of the car. More of a fog-lamp. I intend to point it a bit downwards if possible. In rains - there is no road visibility at all. The stock fog-lamps are...well stock fog lamps. You know how they work.

My last resort would be to put up large Hella aux lamps myself but don't want to go that way yet.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 18:56   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey thanks a lot for the information. MGAs are exorbitantly costly when the same product is available cheaper outside. So looking for that.

The MRP of Philips DRLs is 6990/- but it's available for 3990/- as MGA.

Quote:
I need the DRLs to illuminate the road in immediate proximity of the car. More of a fog-lamp. I intend to point it a bit downwards if possible. In rains - there is no road visibility at all. The stock fog-lamps are...well stock fog lamps. You know how they work.

My last resort would be to put up large Hella aux lamps myself but don't want to go that way yet.
Then I would suggest to look somewhere else and not use DRLs for the same. It won't serve your purpose.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 21:43   #125

I installed a Hella 5 LED DRL on my Wagon R Vxi way back in 2014. Fast forward, I got a set of Osram LED FOG cum DRL installed on my car in 2017. DRLs are super bright and fog lights do justice to their job. Bonus features are- 01. DRL flashes with hazard light; 02. cornering lights.
Attached Thumbnails
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-drl3.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-drl2.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-drl1.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-drl4.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_0266.jpg  

sumitmajumdarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:59   #126

Osram LED DRL cum FOG lights in action
Attached Thumbnails
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_4917-copy.jpg  

sumitmajumdarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 23:39   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitmajumdarin View Post
Osram LED DRL cum FOG lights in action
Do share the details where one can procure this, cost etc. Looks very interesting and discrete though. Super like.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd December 2018 at 12:34. Reason: typo
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 02:27   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do share the details where once can procure this, cost etc. Looks very interesting and discrete though. Super like.
I got this OSRAM LED DRL cum fog light (LEDriving Fog) from Amazon.in (seller Cloudtail India) at discounted price of Rs 10,499.00. MRP is 28,000.00 and it is generally sold at around Rs 25,000.00.

It looks premium, sits inside the fog light housing and appears as if factory fitted, which looks discrete and minimizes chances of getting stolen. I installed this on my car myself, which appeared to be quite easy; took about 40-45 minutes. DRL is super bright and looks beautiful. Fog light output is not as much as compared to H7 halogen, but is adequate, looks premium with white light and has precise cut-off. When parking light is switched on, DRL goes off; cornering assist light glows with corresponding indicator light (if fog is switched off). The DRLs flash (when fog is switched off) with hazard lights and when locking and unlocking with remote. Overall, its a pleasant upgrade in any vehicle which can accommodate 90mm diameter fog lamps. Really satisfied.
sumitmajumdarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 21:50   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitmajumdarin View Post
I got this OSRAM LED DRL cum fog light (LEDriving Fog) from Amazon.in (seller Cloudtail India) at discounted price of Rs 10,499.00. MRP is 28,000.00 and it is generally sold at around Rs 25,000.00.

It looks premium, sits inside the fog light housing and appears as if factory fitted, which looks discrete and minimizes chances of getting stolen. I installed this on my car myself, which appeared to be quite easy; took about 40-45 minutes. DRL is super bright and looks beautiful. Fog light output is not as much as compared to H7 halogen, but is adequate, looks premium with white light and has precise cut-off. When parking light is switched on, DRL goes off; cornering assist light glows with corresponding indicator light (if fog is switched off). The DRLs flash (when fog is switched off) with hazard lights and when locking and unlocking with remote. Overall, its a pleasant upgrade in any vehicle which can accommodate 90mm diameter fog lamps. Really satisfied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do share the details where once can procure this, cost etc. Looks very interesting and discrete though. Super like.
OSRAM LED fog lamps without DRL is available today in amazon at Rs.4692

Osram LED Fog Lamp Assembly 201 Bulb (12V )

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NW7NN6G/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_HLkGzbDGVFQ3Y
Attached Thumbnails
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-screenshot_20170801214823.png  

kashyapz8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 15:34   #130
BHPian

Guys, I have a question about my 2014 Verna SX(O). My car has the LED positioning lamps which look just like the DRLs to me. The one on my Verna aren't too bright as, say, the DRLs on the Baleno, however.
Is there any difference between LED positioning LED lamps and DRLs?
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503050637.258228.jpg
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503050680.977426.jpg
Old 18th August 2017, 21:32   #131
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Is there any difference between LED positioning LED lamps and DRLs ?
Yes they are different.

DRLs are Daytime Running Lights meaning they are used during the day time when your other lights are switched off, they are connected to your ignition so come on as soon as your engine is on. The DRLs usually switch off or dim themselves when you switch on your headlights.

Position lights also called as parking lights are used during the night and they switch on your parking light bulb in the taillamps along with a small bulb/stripe in the headlight assembly. Position lights are not linked to the ignition and have to be switched on manually when needed.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 20:04   #132
Senior - BHPian

Guys - does anyone have idea around the LED DRL's that is seen on the ford raptor 150? Basically the 3 LED strips attached to the grille on the aftermarket or stock Raptor grill? Those are compact ones which I'm thinking of buying it as a separate piece so that to alter and fix it for my Brezza's aftermarket grille

Name:  ford.PNG
Views: 5673
Size:  89.2 KB

Please let me know if anyone has idea or link to buy these LED strips separately.

Last edited by gururajrv : 14th October 2017 at 20:07.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 13:29   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The MRP of Philips DRLs is 6990/- but it's available for 3990/- as MGA.
Thanks to your post, I enquired about the Philips DRLs in Maruti ASS and the service advisor sourced it before service appointment. I got it installed yesterday in Ertiga and costs Rs.3990 as MGA. Informed the electrician specifically not to use any switch and connect the key on and parking light connections as specified so that it will work as proper DRLs.
Now it works as intended :
  • switches ON when ignition key is turned on and switches OFF once parking light is turned on.
  • Another add on feature is once ignition is tunred off, the DRLs remains ON for 5 seconds emulating coming home lights.
Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-bba95beffbf2426c9a345d8723b99c55.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-803b3df564dd46aa93d2fcb71313dc3a.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_4967.jpg  

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_4969.jpg  

gopi_rm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:01   #134
BANNED

Installed LED DRL's on my Hyundai Creta a few days back.

DRL's
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20180624_155718720x1280.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20180624_1844051280x720.jpg

Under direct sunlight
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20180625_1037091365x768__01.jpg

Pilot lamps + DRL
The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-img_20180625_103756720x1280.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 22:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Got these 4 LED DRLs set from this AliExpress seller for Rs 1112/- with 3 wire option. Speedy delivery in flat 7 days.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2cps...816c2e0erd9DH5

Quality looks pretty good, lights, wiring harness, brackets and design looks pretty familiar too. Labelled to be rated for E4. Wiring comes with 15A inline inbuilt fuse. However, will be doing fuse tapping for permanent fixture.

One thing is this is not automatic. Will need fuse tapping to turn ON when engine is switched ON, and if I chose to, tapping to headlights ON to set these OFF when the headlights are turned ON.

Don't understand why Hella and Philips ones cost a bomb compared to this.
Maybe if they have auto sensor to detect engine ON.

Tried temporarily by sticking them in desired place in grill and connecting to battery terminals. Works well. Seem pretty bright in the broad daylight.

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_22_25_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_23_33_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_24_29_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_25_18_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_25_53_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_13_27_18_pro.jpg

The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights-wp_20180718_14_20_26_pro.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 18th July 2018 at 22:44.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks