Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 14:05   #916
BHPian

Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Guys, I was looking to replace the battery of my two year old Creta Diesel and based on popular recommendation here I have decided to go with Amron. Can anyone tell me:

1. Why on the Amron’s official website, Creta’s name is not displayed. Is Hyundai Creta not supported model?

2. What is the difference between Amron: Go, Flow and Pro?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?-b15905b9d1a54009ac394d3bbf46c5c8.jpeg  

Old 15th January 2020, 18:24   #917
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier, the difference between different Amaron batteries seems to be of warranty. In fact today itself I asked a dealer if there is any difference in quality or tech. He honestly told me even he doesn't know.

So just go our the price to warranty deal that you feel is most cost effective.

---------------

Does anyone have any experience with AC Delco batteries of late? I could find only very old comments. The prices are appreciably lower than Amaron & with longer warranty. So I'm very much inclined to consider it, since my amaron dealer is recommending it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Guys, I was looking to replace the battery of my two year old Creta Diesel and based on popular recommendation here I have decided to go with Amron. Can anyone tell me:

1. Why on the Amron’s official website, Creta’s name is not displayed. Is Hyundai Creta not supported model?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th January 2020 at 18:25.
Old 15th January 2020, 18:49   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post

Many thanks!
Just buy a battery of the same AH (capacity) and dimensions. The dealer can take a look at your current battery and suggest a replacement.

Amaron Pro/Go/Flo - the only difference is warranty. You pay extra for the longer warranty duration. Not better performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Does anyone have any experience with AC Delco batteries of late? I could find only very old comments. The prices are appreciably lower than Amaron & with longer warranty. So I'm very much inclined to consider it, since my amaron dealer is recommending it.
Same bloke at the end of FC Rd before it meets G'khind/Univ Rd? He was an Amaron dealer before he shifted to AC-D some years ago. I bought my hydrometer from him.
Old 15th January 2020, 19:50   #919
Senior - BHPian

Nope not him. Didn't know he still existed after he removed the Amron board and all from his shop. I'm surprised to hear he's a AC Delco dealer now because AC Delco it seems is also manufactured by Amara Raja.

Do you have the name of the shop and/or phone number? I would call him for a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Same bloke at the end of FC Rd before it meets G'khind/Univ Rd? He was an Amaron dealer before he shifted to AC-D some years ago. I bought my hydrometer from him.
Old 16th January 2020, 07:34   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope not him. Didn't know he still existed after he removed the Amron board and all from his shop. I'm surprised to hear he's a AC Delco dealer now because AC Delco it seems is also manufactured by Amara Raja. Do you have the name of the shop and/or phone number? I would call him for a quote.
No, I don't have the details. It's been a while since I saw that shop. AC-D batteries are pretty hard to find, they're not one the popular brands. Depending on the type you want some models are listed on batterybhai dot com.
Old 21st January 2020, 20:35   #921
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they don't seem to be popular. Anyway I decided to take a chance with them since they're also made by Amara Raja.

Got 35AH battery for 2600.24 months replacement warranty and some pro rata warranty after that. Seems to be a good deal. December manufactured so not old stock, despite not being a popular brand.

Previous Amaron Go lasted bit less than 5 years with pretty less usage and 3 - 4 deep discharges.

Quote:
No, I don't have the details. It's been a while since I saw that shop. AC-D batteries are pretty hard to find, they're not one the popular brands. Depending on the type you want some models are listed on batterybhai dot com.
Old 24th May 2020, 13:04   #922
BHPian

I have been seeing this ad since yesterday while browsing Team BHP. Is this a subtle dig at Exide?
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?-screenshot_20200524130101.png  

JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:06   #923
BHPian

Battery Query
My XTA battery has gone kaput after 5 years. Its stock has an Exide Conservo 35aH.
On searching the usual sites, most of them list only 25aH batteries for Nano and 35aH.
1) I shouldnt be sticking to 35aH - is that a fair statement.
2) Tata Green is available in 35aH - how is the life of this brand.
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:50   #924
Team-BHP Support

I had a funny incident last weekend, the Gixxer 150 I have had the battery conked. Took it to shop and ordered for an Amaron. They installed and checked volt before starting, 12.x volt. Was asked to crank and whoops all the lights and dashboard went kaput! Thought it blew a fuse or something, then the installer connected the meter and it shows 8.x volt. Brand new sealed pack opened in front of me.

They got one more fresh pack and installed it, running fine for last one week. So when I asked the shop owner his explanation is they have been getting complaints after lockdown, the new production line apparently has an issue.

Either this ^ or that battery was really old, I couldn't check coz they moved it inside as soon as it conked along with warranty card. So much for the Amaron's trust factor!

Varta is now available officially in India, which is great news. Super pricey compared to amarons BUT substantially cheaper compared to what showrooms offer as OE replacement for BMW, Merc and JLR etc.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd July 2020 at 15:52.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 18:26   #925
BHPian

Need suggestion guys.
My 6.5 years old Swift's stock battery gave up last week because of almost no usage during this lock down period. Since the battery is quite old now I am thinking of directly getting it replaced instead of getting it charged and try for few days.

I have a question though, because of Covid scenario I am working from my hometown, and here I have my dad's car for whatever little usage I have. So should I get Swift's battery replaced now ( again the usage will be very less) or get it replaced only when there is a plan to go back to my work city ( Pune).
Old 17th July 2020, 06:28   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Battery Query
2) Tata Green is available in 35aH - how is the life of this brand.
I had Tata Green home inverter batteries but had to replace them within 3 years of purchase. Decided to stick to battery manufacturers like - Amaron or Exide. Or Varta which member Jaggu says is available in our market now.
Tata Green chap will give you a lot of spiel about gel technology etc.
I would recommend you stick to tried and tested brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Varta is now available officially in India, which is great news. Super pricey compared to amarons BUT substantially cheaper compared to what showrooms offer as OE replacement for BMW, Merc and JLR etc.

Last edited by Ithaca : 17th July 2020 at 06:31.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 00:07   #927
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, the difference between different Amaron batteries seems to be of warranty. In fact today itself I asked a dealer if there is any difference in quality or tech. He honestly told me even he doesn't know.
So just go our the price to warranty deal that you feel is most cost effective.
Quote:

Amaron Pro/Go/Flo - the only difference is warranty. You pay extra for the longer warranty duration. Not better performance.

When i purchased a battery a few years ago for my 2006 Honda City from a nearby battery shop who dealt exclusively in Amaron batteries at the time (not the regular auto shop guy, seemed to be quite educated), he told me that Amara Raja makes two kinds of batteries:
1. Black and Fresh (black exteriors)
2. Go, Flo, and Pro (green exteriors)

He said that the internals of the two kinds were different and slightly better technology and materials were used in the green ones. Within the category all were identical and price difference was only on account of warranty provided. He also said that Bosch batteries in India were made by Amara Raja. Based on this I bought an Amaron Go which is doing its job for about 5 years i think.

The amaron website lists model numbers as:

Name----Battery Type
Pro ------50B20L
Flo -------42B20L
Go -------38B20L
Black--- BL400LMF
Fresh--- BL400LMF

Any idea what the numbers 38, 42, 50 in 38B20L etc mean? are they somehow indicative of capacity? Online search shows these are JIS standards where the increase in first number indicates higher CCA. The L at the end indicates orientation of + terminal when viewed from front (terminals behind).

Went to the same guy and now he is exclusively selling PowerZone batteries (orange exteriors, also made by Amara Raja). He claims that they are as good as Amaron Branded ones. He was selling a 38B20L with warranty of 24+24 months for Rs.2700 after exchange of old one. and 40B20L with warranty of 30+24 months for Rs.3200. Does anyone have any info on these?
Old 30th July 2020, 07:48   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
1. Black and Fresh (black exteriors)
2. Go, Flo, and Pro (green exteriors)

He said that the internals of the two kinds were different

what the numbers 38, 42, 50 in 38B20L etc mean?

he is exclusively selling PowerZone batteries claims that they are as good as Amaron Branded ones.
You just pay for extended warranty for the 42 and the 50 ; the battery is essentially the same.

The Black(BL 400) comes with just 18 months warranty and is the same battery but with NO prorated compensation (discount on purchase of a new battery after the first 18/24/36 months free replacement warranty).

This "pro-rated" discount is 20% max; and is nonsense, in my view.

Just for information, the difference in selling price between a Black and a Go is just 400-500 bucks; and blacks are known to last.

I don't know about Powerzone although the packs look the same as Amaron, save the colour. They're meant to cater to the rural markets.

My experience with both - Amaron Probike Rider 5Ah lasted me 5 years while the equivalent Powerzone conked off in 3; on the same scooter.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 09:32   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

After the OE Exide battery of my SX4 conked off in 2012, three years in service, I switched to Amaron. Its 8 years since I switched and the battery shows no signs of giving up. Recently, due to sparse usage of the car the battery wasnt getting an opportunity to charge well and my Dad took it out for groceries. Unfortunately he left the headlight(100:90w and HID fog light) on while my mum shopped for groceries. This drained the battery and I had to take the other car out and help with a jump start. Initially I felt there is something ageing in the battery or maybe a faulty cell. When i checked the fluid levels they were fine. Hence I left the battery charging overnight on the Bosch charger. Next morning, the battery was up and running well with voltages being in good levels.

8 years of life is more than what I expected from this one since it had 30+30 month warranty from Amaron. I had expected it to last in the range of six years or so. If the battery gets weak again, then its time to get another Amaron for sure.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 01:26   #930
BHPian

I think it's time to change the battery on my Linea Classic MJD. 50Ah. Based in Mumbai. What options do i have? I know Exide and Amaron are very good. How are SF Sonic and Luminous batteries (Sachin Tendulkar is the brand ambassador) or even Tata Green? I feel Luminous is a good brand in itself just that it has been an underdog with the market not able to recognise it's worth.

Look forward to your opinions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks