Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 15:15   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Are Amron and AC Delco also from same manufacturer?
Amaron does manufacturer AC Delco brand of automotive car batteries. But they are sold as two separate brands. AC Delco is a private label brand of Amaron

Quote:
By the subsequent year we had begun to manufacture, brand and sell GM's AC Delco range automotive batteries, Lucas Endura & Pacer Batteries. We manufacture batteries for Cummins, the largest independent automotive engine manufacturer in India
http://www.amaron.in/privatelabel.php
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 16:40   #797
Senior - BHPian

1. Find out the best battery brand
2. Buy one and fit it on your car
3. Forget it
I wish it was as simple as that.

In reality, if you take a set of thousand batteries from any brand, some of them will be lemons. If brand A has 50 lemons in 1000 batteries, brand B may have 20 lemons in 1000. Even if you buy brand B, you might turn 'lucky' and still get one of those 20 lemons. (I don't think even the dealer would know which is a lemon).

So I plan to follow the neutral path - buy a brand that is 'reasonably' reliable, and reasonably priced. Also check the batteries every 6 months and do not wait till the battery conks off. This thread is a good one to start with: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html

Last edited by jinojohnt : 6th April 2016 at 16:42.
Old 16th April 2016, 11:06   #798
Senior - BHPian

I have had bad experience with 2 of my SF Sonic batteries, one in i10 and one in Karizma. Both conked out much prematurely whereas my similar Exide/Amaron always last more than 3~4 years. Hell even my Skoda's original Varta battery has crossed 4 years and still going strong, 5 years for the Exide in my Fortuner. I am very much disappointed as I had seen a thread on TeamBHP raving about how SF Sonic batteries are manufactured - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-battery.html after which I had put my trust in them but sadly had this very bad experience. Have had to replace both between 18~24 months.

So I would advise my friends to stay away from SF Sonic.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th April 2016 at 11:12.
Old 16th April 2016, 13:22   #799
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to my previous post, so went from this -

Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?-sf-sonic-battery-conked-off-less-than2-years-i10.jpg

to this

Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?-exide-battery-purchased-16042016-i10-rs3200-net-4-year-guarantee_1.jpg

Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?-exide-battery-purchased-16042016-i10-rs3200-net-4-year-guarantee_2.jpg

Hopefully I am now secure for the next 4 years at least. Back to my trusted ol' brand. MRP was Rs. 42xx/-, costed me Rs. 3900/- less 700/- for the old battery, Net 3200//-. The i10 started in half self and must be thanking me to have taken it out of the trauma it had been suffering for the last few months...lolz.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th April 2016 at 13:24.
Old 29th April 2016, 23:12   #800
BHPian

Hello folks,

Having car battery trouble. Car would not start and battery is dead. Initially was not sure of the problem since the indicator lights, hazard lights and all were working. Strange behavior noticed was that upon turning the key, while the car did not start the AC would turn on automatically as would the stereo system. Trip meter was reset to zero. Not knowing much about these aspects was not sure if indeed it is a battery issue since the other electricals were working.

Checked with neighbor who said seems like a battery problem and gave me number of a friendly neighborhood mechanic. Mechanic turned up, inspected and said battery is dead. He was able to jump start it but even after running the car for 20 minutes or so, it would not retain charge to start up again after a gap of 10 minutes. So now it is time to get a new battery and this is where the confusion stems:

1) Which battery (brand) should I go for?
2) Is http://www.carbatteryexpert.com reliable? Should I order from them, how do I ensure that what they are giving me is a new genuine battery (or for that matter if I buy from a local shop)?
3) Should I be careful about the date of manufacturing on the battery?

Car Battery Expert is giving two options, AAM-FL-545106036 (DIN 45) @ MRP 4788 & AAM-FL-000BH45D20L @ MRP 5240. Any idea which one of these is better though both are 45 AH (trust i20 is 45 AH battery).

The current battery is the one which came with the car and served well for 5 years. It is an exide hence am keen on going with exide however the reviews on forum are not very encouraging for exide. Should I go with exide, could you recommend a model which should be considered.

Many thanks,
S
Old 1st May 2016, 11:46   #801
BHPian

Guys...need some help.

I am currently running on stock Exide Battery on my Ritz D. It has been 3.5 Yrs since i purchased my Car and done 56000 Kms of running.
At the 40 K and 50K Servicing, the Maruti Service Center did the Battery Check and showed the Report where some value was abnormal and Battery Change was recommended. However, i was not convinced since i never had any Battery Problems. I took it to a Exide Shop to check the Battery using a Multi meter and the Voltages were fine. So, continued using it.

Now, i am planning for a Road Trip to Goa in May end and before that i am also planning to switch to 100/90 Headlight Setup with Relay which might cause more strain on the Battery.

Now, I am confused whether i should play it safe and change the Battery to a new one before my Trip since i am traveling with my wife and kid or do i take the risk and go and pray that nothing happens since i have not had any battery issues till now.

Is there any fixed Life of Battery based on Yrs or Kms of Running ?

Any expert tips Guys...

Last edited by abhi3284 : 1st May 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Edit
Old 1st May 2016, 12:28   #802
BHPian

I don't think you need to get the battery changed if the voltage values are within the normal range.
But I would suggest you to be prepared for the worst, for which you mustbuy good jumper cables and keep them In your car at all times, this will save you alot of time and effort if at all the battery gives up on you. Also, you can get the battery checked once again at a different battery shop a couple of days before starting the trip to be absolutely sure about the condition of the battery.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 15:28   #803
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For a lead acid battery along with the voltage, the specific gravity of the electrolyte has to be checked. Just measuring the voltage would be misleading, as it would not provide you the condition of the battery when subjected to load, Ask the battery shop to check the specific gravity to asses the situation. If its above 1.2 it is ok.
Old 1st May 2016, 19:11   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Guys...need some help.

I am currently running on stock Exide Battery on my Ritz D. It has been 3.5 Yrs since i purchased my Car and done 56000 Kms of running.
At the 40 K and 50K Servicing, the Maruti Service Center did the Battery Check and showed the Report where some value was abnormal and Battery Change was recommended. However, i was not convinced since i never had any Battery Problems. I took it to a Exide Shop to check the Battery using a Multi meter and the Voltages were fine. So, continued using it.

Now, i am planning for a Road Trip to Goa in May end and before that i am also planning to switch to 100/90 Headlight Setup with Relay which might cause more strain on the Battery.

Now, I am confused whether i should play it safe and change the Battery to a new one before my Trip since i am traveling with my wife and kid or do i take the risk and go and pray that nothing happens since i have not had any battery issues till now.

Is there any fixed Life of Battery based on Yrs or Kms of Running ?

Any expert tips Guys...
Yes, there's obviously a relation between mileage/age and battery life. Each time you use the battery it does affect the plates within howsoever small. Age too causes a battery to slowly die.

Also, voltage and specific gravity are an indication of the state of charge of the battery or cell respectively NOT the battery capacity or its ability to take a load. For that you need to do a battery load test and watch the voltage as the load test is done. Anything below 7-8V whilst on load replace the battery.

You've had a good run with this battery, If I were in your shoes I'd replace the battery before heading for a trip out of station. Batteries are like bulbs, they can give up the ghost suddenly & without warning.

Also, those 100/90s will be powered by the alternator not the battery when the engine is switched on. The only time the battery may come into the picture is when the engine is idling and obviously when it's switched off.

Also keep in mind:

a) You will also need beefed up headlamp wiring and a relay to handle the load.

b) 100/90s will, over time, dis-colour the reflectors due to the massive amounts of heat generated in the assembly compared to the stock bulbs. I've known of bulb holders melting due to the heat. And this I speak from personal experience. Better to use premium quality but stock wattage bulbs like the Philips Xtremevision than 100/90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju1971 View Post
For a lead acid battery along with the voltage, the specific gravity of the electrolyte has to be checked. Just measuring the voltage would be misleading, as it would not provide you the condition of the battery when subjected to load, Ask the battery shop to check the specific gravity to asses the situation. If its above 1.2 it is ok.
Open circuit voltage and Sp Gr are an indicator of the State of Charge, and not a substitute for a load test.
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:46   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

You've had a good run with this battery, If I were in your shoes I'd replace the battery before heading for a trip out of station. Batteries are like bulbs, they can give up the ghost suddenly & without warning.

Also, those 100/90s will be powered by the alternator not the battery when the engine is switched on. The only time the battery may come into the picture is when the engine is idling and obviously when it's switched off.

Also keep in mind:

a) You will also need beefed up headlamp wiring and a relay to handle the load.

b) 100/90s will, over time, dis-colour the reflectors due to the massive amounts of heat generated in the assembly compared to the stock bulbs. I've known of bulb holders melting due to the heat. And this I speak from personal experience. Better to use premium quality but stock wattage bulbs like the Philips Xtremevision than 100/90s.
Mostly, i will take the safe route and change the Battery to Amaron before i leave for the Trip. But will still check the state of my existing Battery first.

I am currently using the Premium Osram Nightbreakers for the past 2 Yrs. Still i find the Headlight Throw inadequate. Not sure how much of an improvement will Philips Xtremevision be ?

If i go for a 100 /90 W Setup, will be definitely going with Philips Rally Bulbs and Branded Philips Relay.

Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:29   #806
Senior - BHPian

Hello sukhoi,

You should go with the battery with the postscript 'L' at the end of the model, irrespective of the brand.

IIRC, the i20 is one of the models where the positioning of the negative n positive cables is reversed compared to how they are in the majority of the car models sold here. The 'L' indicates that the battery terminals will suit the cable terminal positioning.

As for the brand they are all good be it Amaron, Exide, or any other. You can buy directly from the companies online. Both Amaron & Exide have e-shops on their web site. Delivery is from their nearest dealer and genuinely is guaranteed via this channel as the purchase is recorded directly with the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hello folks,

Car Battery Expert is giving two options, AAM-FL-545106036 (DIN 45) @ MRP 4788 & AAM-FL-000BH45D20L @ MRP 5240. Any idea which one of these is better though both are 45 AH (trust i20 is 45 AH battery).
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 21:34   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hello sukhoi,

You should go with the battery with the postscript 'L' at the end of the model, irrespective of the brand.

As for the brand they are all good be it Amaron, Exide, or any other. You can buy directly from the companies online. Both Amaron & Exide have e-shops on their web site. Delivery is from their nearest dealer and genuinely is guaranteed via this channel as the purchase is recorded directly with the company.
Thanks for the inputs khoj. I checked the online store but http://www.amaron.in/choosebattery.php does not list i20 as a supported model. And when I went to exide reachout, they also did not show any product for i20 Petrol under Hyundai.

Guess I would have to go to a B&M store and purchase one. But thanks a lot for the inputs on the L postscript thing, was not aware of this.

Cheers,
S
Old 5th May 2016, 22:50   #808
Senior - BHPian

Do countercheck the L thingy from your own car's battery too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Guess I would have to go to a B&M store and purchase one. But thanks a lot for the inputs on the L postscript thing, was not aware of this.

Cheers,
S

I think you are merely using the car battery selector {choose the right battery} given on Amaron's home page.

You need to click on the "order battery online " link this takes you to the online shop of Amaraon, otherwise known as Batterywale.com

The i20 and it's various variants are pretty much there

http://www.batterywale.com

Last edited by khoj : 5th May 2016 at 22:56.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:01   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do countercheck the L thingy from your own car's battery too.

You need to click on the "order battery online " link this takes you to the online shop of Amaraon, otherwise known as Batterywale.com
My bad, I did not check the order online which as you have rightly mentioned shows i20 batteries as well.

Slightly off-topic but a bit strange that their battery selector does not show it and the online store does have it.

Thanks once again for your inputs khoj.

Cheers,
S
Old 17th May 2016, 13:20   #810
Senior - BHPian

My i10 Auto battery went down today. need to replace the same urgently. I saw the battery capacity is 40AH but online I am unable to find a 40AH battery. on Batterybhai and other websites there is no option for i10 sportz auto to be selected but when I select i10 auto I get a 35AH battery as a choice. there is no 40AH capacity battery either in Amaron or Exide but I can find a 45AH battery. Which battery do I need to go in for?

thanks,
DF

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks