Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:06   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pollution check for new car?

The much has been said already but here are my two cents to affirm many -

The vehicle when comes of of factory, conforms to the norms at that time. Every vehicle should be PUC checked at definite interval. In Karnataka the interval is 6 months. Most of the vehicles are fine without PUC for at least a year from the date of manufacturing.

When i bought my SX4 in 2011, it had a Non Polluting Vehicle sticker on it at the same time a small letter as part of initial documents stating the vehicle confirms to the BS IV norms and is a non polluting vehicle. There wasn't any explicit directive though to renew that PUC after X months or year. But when i took vehicle for servicing to Mandovi for 4h time (After 10K Kms), they did the PUC all by themselves. Not sure if they charged me for that but ever since then its a ritual that every six months I get the PUC done either myself at authorized station or MASS.

In my personal opinion, having access to the PUC data for your vehicle will also help you understand how the pollution levels are changing for your car. And there may be some clue you would pick up to act-on to avoid unforeseen issues in the car. All you need to see is if the vehicle is maintaining the same level or gradually decreasing or dipping fast! And you know then what to do, right?
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

I was told by someone that I need the PUC certificate for registering my new i20 with the local RTO office. I went for the PUC check only to be asked how old was my car, since it didn't have plates yet. Being a less than 1 month old car, I was given the certificate directly even without the car actually undergoing a PUC check process. The values on the certificate were pre-determined and abided to the PUC standards for my city. Fees for the certificate was some 60 Rs (I am not sure of the exact amount).

Took my car to the RTO for getting it registered. Submitted all the necessary paperwork along with the new PUC certificate and the registering officer returned the certificate back without looking at it mentioning that I didn't need a PUC certificate for registering a new car.

So, now, if someone asks me if a Pollution Check is required, I would say "No, not for a new car, you don't!"
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I went for the PUC check only to be asked how old was my car, since it didn't have plates yet.
During a PUC check, they typically require a photograph of the plates. I'm surprised they actually went ahead with issuing the PUC certificate when they didn't see any plates. Did they photograph the T/R sticker instead? Also, the practice of issuing a PUC without actually testing the vehicle is improper but they do it for all kinds of vehicles.
Old 6th October 2013, 16:37   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I was told by someone that I need the PUC certificate for registering my new i20 with the local RTO office. I went for the PUC check only to be asked how old was my car, since it didn't have plates yet. Being a less than 1 month old car, I was given the certificate directly even without the car actually undergoing a PUC check process.
I am sorry but a new car does NOT need a PUC certificate done from outside for the first year. It is only after the first year a PUC certificate is needed.

Anurag.
Old 18th August 2014, 13:55   #80
BHPian

There has been a lot of debate on the need for PUC certificate for a new car, so I thought I would make the provisions of the law clear, even if this is an old thread.

The Central Motor Vehicle Rule # 115 (section 7) clearly states that " After the expiry of one year from the date on which a motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a POLLUTION UNDER CONTROL certificate... The validity of the certificate shall be for six months and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand, etc. etc."

Section 8 of the same rule states that " The certificate issued under sub-rule 7 shall, while it remains effective, be valid throughout India. "

But policemen looking for a quick buck often catch new vehicles, particularly if 'out of state' and demand PUC certs, either in ignorance or ignoring the law.
I was once undergoing a pollution test when I saw a brand new car arrive for the same. When I asked the driver & owner, they said it was just two days old ! I informed them of the law but they said it did not matter, they had just undergone a lot of harassment and had to pay a fat bribe for not having a PUC cert, so they would rather pay Rs.100/- for one and have peace of mind for six months !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:26   #81
BHPian

How do I find out if my vehicle is a Bharat Stage IV. I have a 2014 Toyota Fortuner. Is it mentioned in the booklet (need to check still). I checked on the RC and on the car body, I could not find it?
Old 29th September 2014, 17:35   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
How do I find out if my vehicle is a Bharat Stage IV. I have a 2014 Toyota Fortuner. Is it mentioned in the booklet (need to check still). I checked on the RC and on the car body, I could not find it?
The RC book does mention it.

Pollution check for new car?-20140929_174020.jpg

This is the RC for my Swift ZDi. It does say it is BS IV.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th September 2014 at 17:45. Reason: Adding an Image.
Old 30th September 2014, 08:50   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The RC book does mention it.

Attachment 1294066

This is the RC for my Swift ZDi. It does say it is BS IV.

Anurag.
My car is registered in UP and it does not mention it anywhere :(
Old 1st October 2014, 10:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Okay.. So PUC Certificate is required after one year from the vehicle's purchase. Good that I saw this thread today. So off to the agent now .
Old 5th October 2014, 21:08   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
My car is registered in UP and it does not mention it anywhere :(
Some states may mention it in the Registration Certificate/Card, some may not. But there must be mention in the car owner's manual, or somewhere else in the ownership documents. The manufacturers are supposed to submit a certificate to that effect to the registering authorities, and if that process was done by the dealer, you may not have seen it. Some cars, when new, used to carry a sticker saying "BSIV", but that may have been prevalent when changing over from BSIII, and discontinued now.
Old 6th January 2016, 15:37   #86
BHPian

So got the PUC done for the year old Elite i20 diesel with us.

Now the whole test was done with the device connected to the two terminals of the battery and then varying accelerator inputs based on the instructions on a hand-held device.

Nothing went into the exhaust pipe or anything remotely close.

My query is how exactly does this device understand the emissions based on only a connection with the battery?

I'm sure I missed nothing since I was shadowing the "checker". The devices had "ARAI" stamped on them.

OT: When I mentioned the same office over a cuppa, someone joked that that after the VW fiasco they only check for the cheat code

Last edited by vinjosep : 6th January 2016 at 15:38.
Old 6th January 2016, 16:06   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I guess they were lazy to connect the meter to exhaust.

The connection to bonnet is of a sensor which calculates RPM based on engine vibration. The reading of that sensor is displayed in a handheld device which the operator will be carrying while revving the engine.

For vehicle to clear the test, they have to take readings at some specific RPM band.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

The connection to bonnet is of a sensor which calculates RPM based on engine vibration. The reading of that sensor is displayed in a handheld device which the operator will be carrying while revving the engine.
I had done my PUC certification for my diesel vehicle. Even here they did not push any thing up the exhaust pipe. The device was attached to the engine or battery. But I did double check with the operator on why he was not taking any reading from the exhaust pipe. He said it was not done for diesel vehicles and the process is different.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I guess they were lazy to connect the meter to exhaust. For vehicle to clear the test, they have to take readings at some specific RPM band.
Nope, he did not forget anything. He said this is how its checked. I did not ask him about "sticking in the thingy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I had done my PUC certification for my diesel vehicle. Even here they did not push any thing up the exhaust pipe. The device was attached to the engine or battery. But I did double check with the operator on why he was not taking any reading from the exhaust pipe. He said it was not done for diesel vehicles and the process is different.
Same here. I could not understand/ fathom the logic behind such a testing. Others in the office confirmed that this is how their diesel vehicles get tested.

So any pointers on the logic would be helpful.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, he did not forget anything. He said this is how its checked. I did not ask him about "sticking in the thingy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
He said it was not done for diesel vehicles and the process is different.
Quote:
Quote:
Everything here shows that they just scammed you guys. In all sense, what was he measuring ... checking if manufacturer has charged your car batteries properly !!!!

Either you guys should report this guy or get it done in RTO itself (many are derelict).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks