Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 12:34   #31
BANNED

One question to Satya if you are browsing this thread, is it possible to put LED or Neon in JBL GTO 75.4 and 301.1 amp as in manuals it says space provided for neons and how much it will be.Saw few neon tubes and led's in ebay.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:48   #32
BHPian

I'm a little confused. I see a lot of posts about LEDs with a rating of 2 watts and 4 watts etc. How then does it save power, it appears to have the same rating as a bulb? Perhaps the only difference is they last much longer, but not really power saving? Would I be right?
Old 5th September 2008, 16:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I'm a little confused. I see a lot of posts about LEDs with a rating of 2 watts and 4 watts etc. How then does it save power, it appears to have the same rating as a bulb? Perhaps the only difference is they last much longer, but not really power saving? Would I be right?
Even after that, LED consumes much less power and gives better light output, compared to conventional bulbs. In my car's LED cabin light set-up (3 of 1 watt LEDs being driven in series at less than half a watt) is brighter than 8Watts stock bulb. Also generates less heat.

Though LEDs are rated at 1 Watt etcetera, you can not 'drive' them to that max without having proper arrangement to dissipate heat generated in real applications.

Please let me know where I can source 1 Watt (and plus) LEDs for cheaper price? I visited SP road in Bangalore and looks like they 'all' have raised the price. Same LED i bought for 65 costs 80 now!
I needed around 50 of them.

Last edited by shyamhegde : 5th September 2008 at 16:13. Reason: typo
Old 6th September 2008, 02:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

You can order them from Futurelighting , they are dealer for Luxeon rang of LEDs. they have four offices in banglore. But the price I see is correct for 1w LEDs, there are LED in market upto 3w and there are going to be higher wattages comeing soon.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:04   #35
BHPian

I may have some inputs here.
As said correctly when ever a LED is lit to its full extent the heat is decipated and we need to have some kind of heatsinking for the same.

When we speak about high wattage what is the exact specs we are looking for.

Following are some specs for LED

1. The LED size -- ranges from 3mm to 10+mm (Diameter)
2. The Colour wavelength (RED = 630nm -- nm = Nano meter, wavelength corresponding to that colour)
3. The Luminous intensity, i.e. in normal words the brightness which is measured at the mechnical axis of LED i.e. if you look at exact center of LED from top.
4. The forward current required to lit it to the said intensity
5. Max voltage it will operate on.

Wattage is W = V * I
V = Operating Voltage
I = Supply current

Now current is what we restrict using the resistors.

So when we say 1W LED with operating voltage of 12V (Normal Car Battery voltage) the supply current is
1/12 = 83mA
A = ampears (Unit of current)
mA = mili ampears amA = 1A/1000

We get LEDs with same supply current say 20mA but different brightness ratings.

Currently I am working with LEDs which has 1150mcd (milli candella unit of intensity again ) which operates on 12V and 20mA forward current. When 7 LEDs makes a cluster gives brightness similar to a Bright 200W buld. But the light spreading is bit less due to viewing angle I am using.

Its better if we know the brightness we require and not the wattage.

I may not be an expert in car interiors but as against LEDs I have spent 7 years working with them, know many details of it.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:39   #36
BHPian

LEDs are much better than Neon because

Small hint about Neons

Neons (The actual Neon gas) only lits in redish orange colour any other colour though known as neon are from mercury or other nobal gas vapours which excites a phosphor via fluorenscence.
(Ref Neon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And with my understanding if the blue ones which we normally prefer for neons is not made out of harmless neon but might contain mercury vapours, (How Do Neon Signs Work?) so if we have a broken neon (BLEU) tube in our car then we might be inheling mercury vapours, though its true that they are at very high pressure in tube (thats why the sound when it breaks) and once released easily gets mixed with air. But definately dangerous as when we have our AC on then the air inside suddenly becomes high on that perticular vapour.

So the best way to go for any internal car lighting is use LED, which are completely harmless in this regards.

Again if you refer this link (http://www.intl-lighttech.com/applic...-neonlamps.pdf) then the neons get activated at high voltage so using a neon with car battery will add a good enough load for first converting 12V to high (Step up DC) & then it draws good enough current also. So ultimately reducing battery life.

If you see another thread where someone explained making of Angle eye circle using a Acrylic rod (Sorry dont remember the exact thread link, but yes have copied the process and can attach the doc if required).
With which we can get a similar effect just by using two LEDs mounted at the ends of the rod (bent in circular shape just by moderate heating & then bending) which makes the entire rod lit up.

At any time LED is much suited option than Neon.
Old 21st September 2008, 20:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
Currently I am working with LEDs which has 1150mcd (milli candella unit of intensity again ) which operates on 12V and 20mA forward current. When 7 LEDs makes a cluster gives brightness similar to a Bright 200W buld. But the light spreading is bit less due to viewing angle I am using.

Its better if we know the brightness we require and not the wattage.
That is some useful information. Thanks Sachin.

Your project looks interesting. Please post more information on that and a pic. Sure you will have many more such ones. Glad if you could share here.
Do you get 1+ watt 12Volts LEDs in market?

What you do for constant current regulators?

Thanks again.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:03   #38
BHPian

1+ Watt LED

Very sorry for the delayed reply, could not access forum on Weekend.

You do get high wattage LEDs, (Even LEDs which will replace the Phillips CFL tubes which we use, and even for a Flash which we have in cameras.

But buying LEDs from open market with the specs which we want is much like believing the shop owner with what he specifies.
Please note if we are buying a product with no guarenty then be rest assured it that do not work when you take home from a shop, your money is lost. Mostly the owners do give you replacement or repair the thing but there is no assurence of this.

After burning my hands several times in my college days I learnt it the hard way.

Please refer this url for details of LED manufacturer & his products.
LEDs
Check "Moonstone High Power LEDs" this when lit looks much brighter than a CFL tube, but also see others where you will notice that only high Power (Watts) is not the unit to get high brightness.

They have many different types of LEDs and you can even ask for free SAMPLES cheers: (They do require you to register and then the distributor will give you follow-up but you can then buy LEDs from their distributor which will have a high price as we will be buying in small quantity) at times it takes more time but we get exactly what we are looking for and wont pay for something which is told as high watt and charged good for the same eventually turns to be a normal high bright LED.

You clubbed to contradictory words Constant & Regulator :-) Well whats the exact application for a constant current sourse?

If you can give some details of what the application is then may be we can discuss in detail.

Please refer this link which will give many alternative options of makinga constant current sourse, we can modify some circuits and make a variable constant current sourse i.e. regulator. Please understand when we say constant its not that the current supply is non changable but when a perticular setting is done then the sourse will keep same output current inspite varying load conditions (Load = the application taking current from a sourse).
Current source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can give me the details of what exactly you are looking for then I may give some inputs making it yourself (Of course if you choose to make yourself, if you want to buy directly then I will give you that sourse as well but then it will be much high cost)
Old 18th October 2008, 04:14   #39
BHPian

LED Installation in Delhi

I was going through this thread and I am very keen to get some LED lighting done to my car. I have to tell you that the new BMWs look absolutely terrific with the LED lighting.

Anybody has an idea where in New Delhi I could get LED lights installed?
Old 18th October 2008, 22:58   #40
BHPian

Is the craze for the Audi R8 inspired LED headlights IN??
Old 19th October 2008, 06:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Is the craze for the Audi R8 inspired LED headlights IN??
I dont know if that was asked in a good way or a bad way, but this is what I got done to my car yesterday. Not such a good picture, but think you guys will get the idea.
(Pic is with the parking lights on, for some reason looks like normal lights - maybe didnt have camera on right setting, but it was on night mode)

LED lighting in cars-img_0955edit.jpg
Old 19th October 2008, 08:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

You can order high power Luxeon LEDs from RS India. You can also check specs on everything they have (datasheets) and order what you require. Expect to pay ludicrous prices though.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You can order high power Luxeon LEDs from RS India. You can also check specs on everything they have (datasheets) and order what you require. Expect to pay ludicrous prices though.
Hi ImmortalZ, did you order anything from that website? Prices there are way too expensive there (as you did warn). Ordering from US might be cheaper than that on some of the components.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
but this is what I got done to my car yesterday. Not such a good picture, but think you guys will get the idea.
(Pic is with the parking lights on,
Details please buddy.
how it was done ?
where did you get the LED's and stuff ?
Was it a DIY ?
How much did it cost ?

More pics (day time pics that show how its connected and all)

Looks cool btw
Old 20th October 2008, 17:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Details please buddy.
how it was done ?
where did you get the LED's and stuff ?
Was it a DIY ?
How much did it cost ?

More pics (day time pics that show how its connected and all)

Looks cool btw
Hey thanks!
I've put up more pictures on the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-149.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks