Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 16:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutt
I have a 2004 Fiat Palio 1.2, want to get converted to LPG/CNG, You suggest which one is better. More over what kind of mileage i can expect after conversion as cost per km with petrol is around 4.00 with a/c on. I am from New Delhi. Too hot here to drive w/o a/c.

Please also mention the total cost for everything. I wannna go for automatic changeover kit which after a certain rpm changes from petrol to LPG/CNG.

Regards.
if ur vehicle is mpfi (Which iam sure it is), then the vehicle will always start in petrol & change over automatically to lpg. it is very easy in mpfi cars, there is no shuddering when switching fuels.

regarding the cost per km, it will be around 55-60% of what it is for ur petrol. in your case, it should be 2.40 paise per km.
Old 18th August 2006, 23:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
if ur vehicle is mpfi (Which iam sure it is), then the vehicle will always start in petrol & change over automatically to lpg. it is very easy in mpfi cars, there is no shuddering when switching fuels.

regarding the cost per km, it will be around 55-60% of what it is for ur petrol. in your case, it should be 2.40 paise per km.
Thx for reply, now the most difficult question which is better CNG or LPG ? In New Delhi there are only 16 Petrol pumps which have LPG filling (I dont wanna use home cylinder for running my car). More over these pumps are nowhere close to my place mostly they are in outskirts. CNG pumps are everywhere in New Delhi.

Read a few topics some say there is loss of power with CNG and there is a LOT of wear tear with engine. Though i am tempted for CNG coz it is very cost effective but i dont want to increase my Maintainence cost and ruin the car. With LPG there is not much loss of power and its enjine friendly. Pls Guide.

Old 5th September 2006, 12:40   #33
BHPian

Guys,
I have my car tuned and its running fine now. There is just one issue that I slipped mentioning on one of my earlier posts. The engine icon icon keeps burning for a long time on my Lancer when I drive on gas mode, will this lead to any major problem with the engine or is it realted to some wrong setting?

Please help.
Old 5th September 2006, 13:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro
Guys,
I have my car tuned and its running fine now. There is just one issue that I slipped mentioning on one of my earlier posts. The engine icon icon keeps burning for a long time on my Lancer when I drive on gas mode, will this lead to any major problem with the engine or is it realted to some wrong setting?

Please help.
hey, where did you get it tuned ?
Old 5th September 2006, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
hey, where did you get it tuned ?
Hi Esteem,I got it tuned at Lovato itself. I met baburaj and took the car to his place. He wanted half a day for tuning the car(Rs.850 to Rs.1000 tuning charges), I dint have the time to leave it then.

Tried my luck with Lovato on my way back, the guy there got it fixed in 10mins and the car is fine now.

Hey Esteem thanks very much for the contacts though.

Off Topic:

Right now the car is in the process having a Free Flow exhaust system fitted. Iam all excited, just cant wait . I will get the car delivered tomorrow.
Old 5th September 2006, 15:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

good for you, harmon. it is strange why this guy acted this way. probably just wanted to discourage you from coming to him. he hates lovato & will not touch cars fitted with lovato. he did the same to me initially. then after i got a reference, he accepted to do the job. nut.
Old 5th September 2006, 16:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
good for you, harmon. it is strange why this guy acted this way. probably just wanted to discourage you from coming to him. he hates lovato & will not touch cars fitted with lovato. he did the same to me initially. then after i got a reference, he accepted to do the job. nut.
Yeh! Well he has to keep his hatred towards Lovato to himself and build his brand instead . Neways his problem. Thanks again Esteem. Have you done any mods on your car? Since this is off topic, please pm your reply.
Old 28th September 2006, 11:26   #38
BHPian

Hi all,

I plan to install a lpg kit for my santro ,can you please suggest which kit is good for santro and am from chennai and can some one suggest a good place for installation

Thanks in advance
Old 14th December 2006, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

A quick question to all current LPG users. What is the best method to check your fuel efficiency on LPG? Can we use the conventional method - 1. Fill tank, run 50-60kms and fill again and divide kms run by fuel filled now
OR
2. The full to empty tank method?

I tried the first method and I got a F.E figure of 6kms/litre on my ALTO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is something wrong??
Old 14th December 2006, 17:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

6km/litre ? Are you sure it must be 16 or you have made a typo mistake. Coz i know a guy who has been using LPG for past 2 years in his M800 and he says his car runs around 200 - 250 KM on his full tank.

P.S. He is using that LPG cylinder we have at homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
A quick question to all current LPG users. What is the best method to check your fuel efficiency on LPG? Can we use the conventional method - 1. Fill tank, run 50-60kms and fill again and divide kms run by fuel filled now
OR
2. The full to empty tank method?

I tried the first method and I got a F.E figure of 6kms/litre on my ALTO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is something wrong??

Last edited by abhibh : 14th December 2006 at 17:48.
Old 14th December 2006, 17:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
6km/litre ? Are you sure it must be 16 or you have made a typo mistake.
This is indeed 6 kms/litre of LPG. Usually converted cars get between 2 - 3 kms less on LPG. I get 15kms/litre in the city with 90% AC. I should recieve 12 - 13kms/litre. That why I doubt my calculation method.
Old 14th December 2006, 19:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

my experience in running lpg kit in baleno-
1. kit was installed bya private practioner who has done job in my friends car and he has answers to my questions though he do gets annoyed at times.
2. go back to him after a few days to get everything rechecked.
3. whether mpfi or not go for the kit with emulator.( kit which starts on petrol and automatically changes over to gas after certain engine rpm.
4. never immediately change over to gas after starting cold engine. detonation and fire can occur. i have experienced it. always wait for oil temperature to register and the change.
5. occasionally have a check at the pipings and wiring or get it checked when you can visit the installer.
6. i have found gas leaks few times. one from piping one from the gas solenoid. got the solenoid changed since have a one year replacement warranty.
7. to check milage fill tank to full and run till it stops. you will get almost correct value. filling to full and topping it after running for some kns doesnt give correct mileage reading.
8. if you are using stock filter replace it with a freeflow one and notice the difference in running with lpg. if your are keeping stock ensure it is very clean. else you will soon have drop in performance. on dusty roads like in most of mumbai you will have to cleen stock filter every week. freeflow is a must for lpg.
9. the mixer used in all kits manufactured in india have omitted a major safety factor. imported mixer has a anti backfire valve, which protects and prevents fire in throttle body from blasting out in case of backfire. dont know wh rto of our country has agreed to this.?????????????
10. carry co2 fire extingusher in car and in acessable place. i am figuring out installing it permanently in car and activating it automatically when needed. extingusher has to be used without opening the bonnet to put out fire fast.
11. keep a bottle of soap solution in car so that you can also do the leak test in doubt or make it a regular practice when you are doing your other checks. when doing regular checks best time to check for leaks is after having full tank put the ignition switch in on position but not in start mode and open bonnet. feel the lpg components with hand, if any part in much cooler than rest its leaking from somewhere.
12. spar plugs have to be kept clean, replace once a year to avoid any botheration. it not a costly spare part.
13. it is adviseable to get a ecu installed to prevent your cat converter from getting spoiled in long run because the oxyge ratio is not regulated by our guys who install the kit, wheather is manufacture recommemded or local guy. ecu also comes with connection to lambda sensor throttle position sensor and stepper motor setup. can cost 6-8k, but get it done if you are happy with the car performance. there will be marginal increase in mileage also.
i am getting about 8kmpl with lpg.and the car is running smoother with lpg. performance drop is not noticeable except whhile speeding on highways. there also have to drop a gear only to race. i didnt exceed 140kmph due to my tires.
will update on any future developments.
gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2006, 19:25   #43
BHPian

I use the empty tank method since there is petrol to fall back on. My Ikon gives me 8-9 KMPL on LPG & 11-12 on Petrol.
Old 14th December 2006, 19:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
4. never immediately change over to gas after starting cold engine. detonation and fire can occur. i have experienced it. always wait for oil temperature to register and the change.
Doesnt the emulator automatically changes over to gas after you have started? Is it still required to manually switch to petrol when starting cold?

Quote:
7. to check milage fill tank to full and run till it stops. you will get almost correct value. filling to full and topping it after running for some kns doesnt give correct mileage reading.
What is the reason for this? What difference will it show?

Quote:
8. if you are using stock filter replace it with a freeflow one and notice the difference in running with lpg. freeflow is a must for lpg.
Is this true. I was told that I need to change my Airfilter every 5,000kms. Why does the filter get cogged so fast? Maruti suggests Air filter replacement only in 20,000kms.

Quote:
9. the mixer used in all kits manufactured in india have omitted a major safety factor. imported mixer has a anti backfire valve, which protects and prevents fire in throttle body from blasting out in case of backfire. dont know wh rto of our country has agreed to this.?????????????
Gigy, what kit are you using? I was told the mixer of my BRC is imported. RTO doesn't give approval for kits. ARAI only tests it and gives approval. RTO just endorses it on the RC book.

Quote:
i am getting about 8kmpl with lpg.and the car is running smoother with lpg. performance drop is not noticeable except whhile speeding on highways.
That is fine considering you must get around 10 - 12kms/litre on petrol. I will use the empty tank method and confirm. I should get 350kms range on full tank.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 14th December 2006 at 19:48.
Old 14th December 2006, 20:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

1. if car is in lpg mode it will try to change over to lpg immediately after starting once you increase rpm. the emulator picks up this signal from ignition cables. so if the car is cold then the vapourizer is not hot enough to vapourize lpg and that detonation or backfire thing happens. once the coolant hac become hot after running for 5 min there will be no problem, still keep rpm bit higher till car has switched over to lpg.
so select petrol and run for some time and then select lpg mode or auto mode.
2. regarding mileage calculation i have practically tried out both and found out this to be the correct way. lpg is in liquid state in tank and changes to gas when in vapourizer, the gauge are working on pressure and not on quantity. so all errors come in. to avoid fill it full and then empty it full to get correct reading. also keep in mind that its petrol which is starting the car and starting takes a good amount of fuel, which is not accounted when we calculate lpg mileage.
3. air filter needs replacement much frequently since all present lpg kits are working in carburator principle. the better the air flow the better performance you can get. go for a free flow. ask pj to send you one. there is a lot of difference in drive quality and reduces the cost of filters in long run.
4. thank you for correcting me regarding certification from ARAI. thay should look into improving things now since all cars are mpfi now.
5. i am using zavoli. lovato had lot of problems with mpfi kits. brc and omvl are also good.
6. i am getting 10 on petrol. all figures with ac on always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks