Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2018, 12:12   #256

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Dear Friends, I have read your issues of gearbox jerking, engine RPM fluctuations and all the fuss the VW cars showers day in day out.

I think diagnostics is the very baseline of the thread and as to why we discuss the technical issues. Since, VW/SKODA ASC do not discuss the exact

root causes or issues, it leaves us wandering and hoping that our prayers keep the engines and cars running. Knowing why your car behaves erratically and what is the root cause not only saves us the money and time but the metal anguish we suffer thru ASCs.

As a small gesture to the community, I would be happy to lend/loan you out the VCDS cable with software for diagnostic purposes. You can PM me for need.

I can guide you thru the diagnostic procedure both at fault level and at live diagnostic level. Once, we have the fault data and the live data feed recorded, we can very well narrow down on the troubleshooting needed.

Remember, if you love your car and enjoy driving it, knowing it better will always help you make an informed choice.

I am doing this cause I have experienced the crap ASCs throw at you when you arrive with an issue.

Example: I had my headlight stuck in low beam only. When toggling the lights lever to High beam, it would come on and again as soon as lever vent back to its neutral position, light went to low beam. Went to Skoda ASC and their service manager told me that it was the problem with the FUSE box, estimating as cost of 20000 INR for fusebox and labours extra.
Went out to a garage and saw a Skoda Laura parked there. Asked the guy if i could lend the light switch. Got it, installed and voila..lights good in high beam. Ordered an AUTO light switch with a light sensor as an upgrade for just 900 INR. Now lights work fine and additionally I got an AUTO lights feature.

This is just a small one. Although, I went out and complained with the same to Skoda customer care and the service manager personally called me and apologized. I didn't want to take him for a ride and sent back a reply giving positive remarks for the service manager.

I hope we can all contribute and help.

Lastly, I am new to the team bhp and if anything went contrary to the correct, please guide me...

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th April 2019 at 00:57. Reason: Editing spacing
popo_senior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 15:34   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo_senior View Post

I hope we can all contribute and help.

Lastly, I am new to the team bhp and if anything went contrary to the correct, please guide me...
Welcome to the forum. If you are into VCDS Tweaks and enhancements, this thread would be a good one to check out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...on-thread.html (VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread)
Old 16th September 2018, 15:52   #258

Thanks for the directions. Will follow the link. VCDS is one good tool in the toolbox. I just love to help and solve problems.

I feel a good healthy car is what all our team members would enjoy. So, I am more into solving what's wrong or malfunctioning system. Mods are a whole new game. Though I would love to try that too...

Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:41   #259
BHPian

Hi. I have posted the same post in the polo GT Tsi thread and hoping to run it through the folks here, with the hope that someone has experience in this issue I am facing.
Mods feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate.

So I have a Dec 2018 polo gt Tsi which has clocked about 4800 kms.
I normally drive sedately, with no harsh acceleration or braking and usually maintain speeds of 80 on good clear roads.
A strange thing happened today while on the move.

So as you guys may be aware, of the slight gap/delay in power delivery when you switch from D to S(not hard input on A, but slightly more from when it was D) while on the move? (usually seconds) and then you can hear a louder note from exhaust and more power under the hood.
I was at 45-60 ish on D mode with very light A pedal and casually driving(the road suddenly became clear) so I switched to S mode(I had the lightest foot on A pedal and almost none during this switch and just seconds prior to that, so the car lost some of its speed and then when I switched to S it read S2 and with the A pedal now being pressed(still not hard, about 10% more intensity) the gear suddenly jumped and showed S3 and there was a noise which sounded like from the front centre under belly of the car.(all this seemed to happen in the lag we get when we change from D to S and almost instantly).The noise was present for just slightly less than a second.
It's very hard to pinpoint how the noise was. It sounded something like when you unzip a long zipper(of a jacket) with slight force. Also, now that I try it, the noise your finger nails make when you run it across the unzipped zipper lines. ( basically the noise when you run your hand on the fine side of a comb, with the plastic lines placed very close to each other)

To explain the feeling while driving
It felt as though the gears were slipping and not engaging and when suddenly it did engage the power came back on with the exhaust note etc. Now I was not trying to overtake or anything so I did not floor the A pedal and that's also why the difference in power(during the noise and after was negligible so it's Hard to say whether I didn't have the car pulling when the noise was coming. Because I was cruising between 45-60 it felt as though the car kept running normally(not slowing down) (I can't specifically tell whether I had no power during this noise, but because I felt no jolt of slowing down or speeding up)
but that noise was worrying, because no such incidents have and should be happening to a car less than 4 months old.
The noise was gone within a second and the car afterwards continued to behave normally. It was about a 21ish km highway(90%) drive which took us about 31 odd mins and this happened about at half of the journey. (16-18min)
I am quite confused with what to expect at this stage.
Kindly guide if anyone has heard or read or faced of a similar thing.(i haven't found it being mentioned from the pages of these threads)
Thanks in advance
Old 15th March 2019, 11:58   #260
BHPian

Dear people

I own a 2015 Polo gt tsi with about 28000kms on the clock. Not had problems with the car till date however in the last week during cold starts, the car seems to be loosing drive suddenly with the gearbox not providing the drive(in both D and S mode) after the intial movement. With the car moving in fits and starts initially and after a few seconds, the drive comes back but does appear on and off for the first 10mins of driving. The engine however is revving with the specific throttle input.

Today, when faced with the lack of drive, i switched to tiptronic and got moving immediately and switched to mode D after 10 minutes

This however has become a problem at intersections during morning rush hour and have scheduled a service appointment to look it up later this week.

What do you guys think is the problem with the dsg unit? I am close to the end of my warranty period.

thanks

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th April 2019 at 00:57. Reason: typo
Old 15th March 2019, 12:53   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phro View Post
To explain the feeling while driving - It felt as though the gears were slipping and not engaging and when suddenly it did engage the power came back on with the exhaust note etc.
Kindly guide if anyone has heard or read or faced of a similar thing.
Definitely, this sounds strange enough, atleast to me (coming on the back of driving almost 63k+ km with a DSG).
I suspect it to be a one-off "issue" with the inconsistent surge in power delivery when you pressed the accelerator in "S" mode. The real cause is difficult to be traced back to slipping of the gears inside the gearbox.

Have you had more such incidents, for you to establish a pattern of sorts?
Then that might provide more data points to compare and establish the source of these symptoms.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:45   #262
BHPian

Recieved my car back from the dealer after almost 4 weeks. it was a mechatronic module failure. The mechatronic module was replaced as part of the extended warranty. Hopefully no more issues to deal with. However, the acceleration of the car is now more muted than it was earlier.

Maybe because of the updated transmission software or the new mechatronic module.....Have any of you faced this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Dear people

I own a 2015 Polo gt tsi with about 28000kms on the clock. Not had problems with the car till date however in the last week during cold starts, the car seems to be loosing drive suddenly with the gearbox not providing the drive(in both D and S mode) after the intial movement. With the car moving in fits and starts initially and after a few seconds, the drive comes back but does appear on and off for the first 10mins of driving. The engine however is revving with the specific throttle input.

Today, when faced with the lack of drive, i switched to tiptronic and got moving immediately and switched to mode D after 10 minutes

This however has become a problem at intersections during morning rush hour and have scheduled a service appointment to look it up later this week.

What do you guys think is the problem with the dsg unit? I am close to the end of my warranty period.

thanks

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th April 2019 at 00:56. Reason: Editing spacing
Old 10th April 2019, 17:00   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recieved my car back from the dealer after almost 4 weeks. it was a mechatronic module failure. The mechatronic module was replaced as part of the extended warranty. Hopefully no more issues to deal with. However, the acceleration of the car is now more muted than it was earlier.Maybe because of the updated transmission software or the new mechatronic module.....Have any of you faced this ?
So the story of the mechatronic module failure continues to play out: How can one be sure that it will not recur once the warranty expires: what then. There is something wrong with our traffic conditions plus DSG's not being suitable to the bump and grind of Indian traffic conditions leading to these failures at metronome frequency.
Old 10th April 2019, 19:32   #264
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
So the story of the mechatronic module failure continues to play out: How can one be sure that it will not recur once the warranty expires: what then. There is something wrong with our traffic conditions plus DSG's not being suitable to the bump and grind of Indian traffic conditions leading to these failures at metronome frequency.
Very difficult to say what causes it, but unless I'm occupied with snaking or drinking, I'm never in D or S mode, always in M. I feel both modes make the gearbox overwork, i.e. at least 200% more changes than what I do.

Everytime you brake to reduce speed, the D mode drops a gear or two and then when you want to accelerate again, you get a revv catch up jerk, it gets on my nerves.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 13:25   #265
BHPian

I am not able to shift from D to S without pressing the lock button in my 2019 Rapid Montecarlo DSG TDI. The manual mentions that lock buttons is needed only in P and N and to move from N to D/S only the brake pedal needs to be pressed.
How to put dsg in learn mode/ resetting the dsg? I’ve got a couple of variations to do that from service centre guys, google and from few friends. Actually which is the right method to do it?
Old 7th July 2019, 13:37   #266
BHPian

So here we go again, Was just reading the thread for the last year and my Vento Tsi is back to the service centre again. It probably loves going back to the service centre every time. To tell you the truth I am fed up. I am having this problem for sometime, Its like the car warning lights play hide n seek with me, from the last couple of weeks i have intermittent ON-OFF of my engine check, epc, traction control lights. This happens to me randomly without no cause? And yet again VW is get the car to the service centre, we will do a check and let you know. Question: Am I a lab-rat for VW? My car is in the service centre since Friday, They are doing check ups on my expense? So am i supposed to just sit and take a premier membership at Uber? When I write to the customer care asking them for serious attention they direct my mails to the same advisor that I am talking to, despite of writing specifically in that mail to not do so because I am fed up of dealing with the same thing. Any how is there a contact at VW who can take me seriously? I am fed up of the the service team guessing whats wrong with my vehicle and if VW- the so called pinnacle of german engineering cant fix my car, i think they should change their tagline to - Only a Volkswagen can make a Volkswagen, but Can NEVER FIX IT!

Jokes aside - This is an intermittent problem, last time they made me change the Rs.30000 worth throttle body which should have solved this problem, but clearly it has not. So What Next?

Any help would be appreciated?
Old 8th July 2019, 10:39   #267
BHPian

With increasing technology and electronics we also need smart diagnostics and competent mechanics to handle issues related to DSG etc, not just do guess work and use a customers car as a learning base.
VW makes lovely cars but i would not touch them with a barge pole, for me the whole point of buying a car is for it help me make my life simpler and serve the purpose it was purchased for, if it starts acting up and with the service center being clueless i think it then turns more of a liability then a asset.

Usually when someone asks me their opinion i say no to VW cars, reason being the pathetic service centers and the very dumb escalation matrix. You see in maruti you have a proper escalation matrix not the stupid thing that VW and skoda do by re routing your complaint to the same guy who is sitting with your car and who now takes it as a ego conflict just because you raised a complaint.

I have seen four month old polo which has spent over a month in the center with repeated problems, every time the car comes back from the service center a whole new bunch of issues seem to be plaguing it.Last it went for jerks and came back with lights flashing all over the dashboard intermittently.

I hope VW really does something about their competency in resolving and diagnosing issues correctly or they are pretty much going to lose all their customers.

Last edited by scorpian : 8th July 2019 at 10:40.
Old 8th July 2019, 12:44   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVirage View Post
So here we go again, Was just reading the thread for the last year and my Vento Tsi is back to the service centre again. It probably loves going back to the service centre every time. To tell you the truth I am fed up. I am having this problem for sometime, Its like the car warning lights play hide n seek with me, from the last couple of weeks i have intermittent ON-OFF of my engine check, epc, traction control lights. This happens to me randomly without no cause? And yet again VW is get the car to the service centre, we will do a check and let you know. Question: Am I a lab-rat for VW? My car is in the service centre since Friday, They are doing check ups on my expense? So am i supposed to just sit and take a premier membership at Uber? When I write to the customer care asking them for serious attention they direct my mails to the same advisor that I am talking to, despite of writing specifically in that mail to not do so because I am fed up of dealing with the same thing. Any how is there a contact at VW who can take me seriously? I am fed up of the the service team guessing whats wrong with my vehicle and if VW- the so called pinnacle of german engineering cant fix my car, i think they should change their tagline to - Only a Volkswagen can make a Volkswagen, but Can NEVER FIX IT!

Jokes aside - This is an intermittent problem, last time they made me change the Rs.30000 worth throttle body which should have solved this problem, but clearly it has not. So What Next?

Any help would be appreciated?
Hello

Have you ever checked the fuel filter during any of your services ?
I faced similar issues like you had mentioned regarding the vehicle throwing up warning lights on a highway run.
In fact during my dealings with the service centre in Chennai i managed to wear down the patience of the guys which is when it came to light that VW does not have it in any of their dealer service schedules that the filter for the TSi engine needs regular cleaning / renewal.
Of course since then i have even taken the services outside especially with my warranty too having expired since like you said it is no fun being a guinea pig with these guys /ASS.
Please look into it ...
Good Luck
Old 7th August 2019, 01:12   #269
BHPian

I've a 2017 Vento TSI. I'm starting to feel the jerks too. At 26k kms now. I've a couple questions.
1) So the jerks between D3-D2 and D2-D1 while braking are normal?

2) Sometime last week, while I was accelerating, probably from D1-D2 or D2-D3, around 20kmph, I felt a very strong jerk when compared to the braking jerk. Is this normal?
Any help from people who are experiencing this or who have had this experience in the past would be very helpful.

In the end, all I want to know is if this behavior is "normal" in a DQ200 DSG or if this is hinting at a gearbox or other related components failure.
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:50   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
I've a 2017 Vento TSI.
1) So the jerks between D3-D2 and D2-D1 while braking are normal?

2) Sometime last week, while I was accelerating, probably from D1-D2 or D2-D3, around 20kmph, I felt a very strong jerk when compared to the braking jerk. Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Hello

There is something wrong with our traffic conditions plus DSG's not being suitable to the bump and grind of Indian traffic conditions leading to these failures at metronome frequency.
Quote:
Recieved my car back from the dealer after almost 4 weeks. it was a mechatronic module failure. The mechatronic module was replaced as part of the extended warranty. Hopefully no more issues to deal with. However, the acceleration of the car is now more muted than it was earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Definitely, this sounds strange enough, atleast to me (coming on the back of driving almost 63k+ km with a DSG).
I suspect it to be a one-off "issue" with the inconsistent surge in power delivery when you pressed the accelerator in "S" mode. The real cause is difficult to be trace
Hello,

I have bought a 15k driven 2019 Vento TDI DSG recently. The downshifting jerk from D2 to D1 at speeds south of 15 KMPH and upshifting jerk from D1 to D2 at higher RPMs was observed from Day 1 of purchase. The jerk while upshifting occurs only when we stop acceleration input after reaching high RPM (say 3k) in D1.

During my annual service, my SA somehow convinced me that this behaviour is perfectly fine.

Please let me know whether this is normal or not. If not, what's the solution?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks