Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 14:50   #151
BHPian

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I experience a similar problem with the DSG on my Superb. There is always a jerk when I back off on the throttle just before gearbox shifts into D3. Do you know if the software upgrade is applicable to Superb's DQ200 as well?
I did not ask them if it's applicable for all DQ200 gearbox. Better you call up Skoda service center and check.

P.S: I did experience one jerk the very next day after the update although it was relatively mild. It's been 3 days since and it has not recurred. But I have not simulated the scenario and tested yet. I will try to do it tomorrow. Even if it repeats I may wait for few more days since DSG is supposed to be a learning software so will give some time.
Old 4th November 2015, 12:30   #152
BHPian

Recently, I got my Skoda Rapid DSG serviced and was informed by SA that no oil change in required for the DSG box. I am not sure if that is true. Views?
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 11:28   #153
BHPian

I have recently got my Vento TSI (Nov'14) DSG software upgraded as part of the 1st year service. First they carried out the ECM adaptation settings and ran the car for 40kms. Then they saw that the jerks are still there. Post which they did the DSG software update from version 5201 (yes really old version was running) to version 6502 (yes not 6203).

The immediate difference seen was that when put in gear the lag that was there for the car to get in motion has minimized. Further in D mode the car holds the gear till a higher rpm before upshifting. Same is observed even when going from D1 to D2. Also slippage of the clutch seems to be increased to make the drive more smooth during changing point of the gears.

Below snapshot shows the DSG software version details in a vcds scan:
VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!-ai_kdc1cffuxw0y6bftzqeald7tfs4f22i5o22a4kjy.jpg

Still under hard breaking a jerk is seen between D3 to D2.
Jamsukh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 00:59   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
no oil change in required for the DSG box.
Hi abhjain,

According to VW service app, this has to be done at 60K.

Regards.
Old 27th December 2015, 07:34   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi abhjain,

According to VW service app, this has to be done at 60K.

Regards.
The issue is when it's a sealed box how does an oil change work. Also wasn't this a dry clutch box?
abhjain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 08:07   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Recently, I got my Skoda Rapid DSG serviced and was informed by SA that no oil change in required for the DSG box. I am not sure if that is true. Views?
If it is a DQ200 7 speed then it is dry clutch gearbox. If it is DQ250 6 speed gearbox then it is wet clutch gearbox. However even in DQ200 there had been articles of oil been changed from synthetic to mineral oil.
Old 27th December 2015, 09:43   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
If it is a DQ200 7 speed then it is dry clutch gearbox. If it is DQ250 6 speed gearbox then it is wet clutch gearbox. However even in DQ200 there had been articles of oil been changed from synthetic to mineral oil.
Vento, Rapid and Polo come equipped with DQ200 only which is a dry clutch and needs no maintenance for its entire life. The article of oil change could have been related to manufacturing process and not any oil changes later. I am surprised as to which Volkswagen manual recommends oil change for this gearbox! As per all international forums as well, DQ200 is a sealed box and oil changes are neither required nor can be done.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:03   #158
BHPian

I have to share this.This is my experience with VW Service Center

Recently I gave my car Vento Tsi 2014 model for the same Jerking issue and brake noise. For me
VOLKSWAGEN WHITEFIELD APPLE AUTO is closest service center .
I gave my car on last Saturday , Surprisingly they knew that its a Software issue and promised me the car will be returned in 2 to 3 days time(Tuesday as promised by them) . I left my car and waited for the call from service center for any updates.I think nobody in the service center believes in calling the customer and informing. Every time I had to call and many time they don't even answer.

So on Monday I was informed that software is not updating on my car ; it errors out.

Tuesday I visited them ,they informed me that they tried updating the software few times and its not happening , its the problem with the car and they have requested the VW People to come and fix it.

Wednesday I visited them again, this time I was told that even VW people couldn't fix it so they have mailed VW Technical team, I was totally confused .. VW people, VW Technical team , I was tired of these stories, and after questioning few times came to know that Vw peenya senior technicians came and tried updating and it failed again so they have asked VW Pune Techncal team to help.

Thursday I visited them again and finally got to speak to the guy who was working on my car. He explained me the enitre problem. The update was not happening because of some network issues form pune server. They have raised a query to VW on this issue

Finally the Update was performed next day.

Saturday I got a call from the service center that I can collect my car at 4,for break issue they told me to get brake pads changed , my current brake pads would serve me for only 600 kms more(surprising as I have done some 16000kms only.), any ways I asked them to change the break pads as well.

I reached the service center at around 3:30.Waited for 20 to 25 minutes for service advisor.He did all the paperwork.
Then I spoke to the person who worked on the software ,he mentioned that now its running on version 6202 and earlier it was running on version 5201.
He asked me to drive the car for few weeks and see if the problem is rectified totally. Base on that I have to give my feedback to them

After a long wait and payments etc I finally got to see my car, Completely covered in dust, The guy gets out of the car and tells me sir your car is ready.
Shocked at this I asked them , is this the way you give back the car? How can anyone drive like this? Then on my request he said he will get the body wash done.
I was waiting for the body wash and realized they have nicely scratched my front bumper, I was really pissed off at this. They agreed to fix it by repainting, They gave me in writing that they will fix the bumper , whenever its convenient for me, as it was already late.

So finally I left the service center at 5:30. On the way back I saw some namkeen packets and fallen namkeen left on the dashboard.It was disgusting.
And two SD Cards (My Map My India and music sd card) are missing from my stereo.

I am very disappointed with the overall service center experience, One full week without my car,then returning back in my car with namkeen and packets on the dash ,damaged bumper and missing items.. Wow.

I will surely update on the jerking issue after driving for few weeks.
spider77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:58   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
I have to share this.This is my experience with VW Service Center

And two SD Cards (My Map My India and music sd card) are missing from my stereo.

I am very disappointed with the overall service center experience, One full week without my car,then returning back in my car with namkeen and packets on the dash ,damaged bumper and missing items.. Wow.

I will surely update on the jerking issue after driving for few weeks.
Thanks for sharing. I have been in two minds whether to go for the software update. I encounter the 3->2 braking jerks and have got used to it. After reading your feedback, will hold off for now. Please update if you find any significant difference.

VW Whitefield is crazy crowded, not surprised that they managed to scratch your bumper. Half the time they spend resolving jams inside the service floor.

I also lost my MMI SD Card. I could not specifically narrow it down to the service center. From your experience, looks like the service center was definitely the culprit.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:31   #160
BHPian

@Rajeevraj.
I think you should get it done because jerks might increase later. 3days since I got my car back after the update, I didn't face any jerk from 3rd to 2nd gear shift, but its still too early to comment.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:46   #161
BHPian

During my recent annual service at VW Mysore, I had mentioned about the DSG jerking. I was assured that, they would update the software available with them. Following are my observations post the update ( I am not sure whether its latest or not, but I can definitely notice the difference)

- The lower gears especially D2 and D3 holds longer than earlier
- I have felt the JERK again even after the update once

So, I am assuming the fix which VW is providing will make the DSG hold the lower gears longer to reduce the possibilities of jerk but getting rid of it completely, I doubt that. The latest DSG units sold (2015 on wards) may have updated mechatronics as well to cope with the infamous jerking issue. I may be wrong in concluding this but from what I could gather from people who own newer DSG units, they no longer face the issue
Old 6th April 2016, 16:12   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
During my recent annual service at VW Mysore, I had mentioned about the DSG jerking. I was assured that, they would update the software available with them. Following are my observations post the update ( I am not sure whether its latest or not, but I can definitely notice the difference)

- The lower gears especially D2 and D3 holds longer than earlier
- I have felt the JERK again even after the update once

So, I am assuming the fix which VW is providing will make the DSG hold the lower gears longer to reduce the possibilities of jerk but getting rid of it completely, I doubt that. The latest DSG units sold (2015 on wards) may have updated mechatronics as well to cope with the infamous jerking issue. I may be wrong in concluding this but from what I could gather from people who own newer DSG units, they no longer face the issue
Post update the gear shift between 2nd and 3rd happens at around 1800 rpm . But this totally depends on how light or hard Iam on throttle.
Old 7th April 2016, 16:06   #163
Team-BHP Support

Experienced another quirky behavior from the DQ200 today.

I was in D mode and the car had just shifted to D6 and was maybe just below 50kph. I had to overtake another slow moving vehicle. Pressed the throttle a little, but as expected the gearbox did not downshift (the DQ250 in the Jetta would have downshifted for the same throttle input). The only way to make this lazy gearbox - I call it lazy only in D mode - is to floor the pedal. So I floored the pedal, and after a second the gearbox downshifted to 4. At the same time, for some reason, I relaxed the throttle input. To my surprise, I heard a hollow engine noise and the engine RPM was at 4k, but the car was not pulling. I then pressed the accelerator again and the car started pulling. The whole sequence (though sounds long) lasted less than a second, but I am sure the gearbox was in neutral for a brief period before I pressed the throttle again.

Thinking back on the whole sequence of events, I think the gearbox had started responding to my throttle input and had initiated the downshift operation - release the even clutch, shift the gear from 6 to 4, and engage the clutch again. I must have relaxed the throttle after the first step, but before the third step. So, immediately, the shift logic would decide to go back to 5th gear, creating a momentary conflict and leaving the box in Neutral. When I pressed the throttle again, the box completed its original sequence.

Looks like the box does not handle situations where the driver unexpectedly changes his throttle input in the middle of a gear change sequence. I have never noticed such behaviors in the DQ250 wet clutch box in Jetta.

Maybe because of the dry clutch in the DQ200, the shift logic has to be worked around to avoid sudden changes in gearshifts to avoid clutch wear, and maybe that is the reason behind the quirky behaviors (jerks, not shifting down quickly in D mode, momentarily getting stuck in Neutral etc) of the DQ200.

The million dollar question though is: If the dry clutch mechanism in DQ200 is the root cause of all these issues, and if VAG has to keep working around such situations with never ending firmware upgrades, why does VAG still stick to this gearbox. Why not get rid of the dry clutch and go back to wet clutch?
Old 7th April 2016, 16:45   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

I've noticed the same in my Octavia TSI DSG that the DQ200 doesn't like changing it's mind when it is in that split-second changeover mode. It does seem to momentarily hesitate before doing what it needs to.

Mind you one reason all this can be felt is because of the utterly silent TSI engines. There is an ethereal lack of engine noise and sometimes I feel when driving in manual mode, that I cannot feel the 'pulse' i.e. the noise + vibration from the engine which usually aids gear changes. In such cases, I need to look at the tachometer to see what the engine is doing.

The TSIs are like a silent gas turbine which simply spools on and on seamlessly.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 10:24   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Vento, Rapid and Polo come equipped with DQ200 only which is a dry clutch and needs no maintenance for its entire life. The article of oil change could have been related to manufacturing process and not any oil changes later. I am surprised as to which Volkswagen manual recommends oil change for this gearbox! As per all international forums as well, DQ200 is a sealed box and oil changes are neither required nor can be done.

Even though DQ200 is a dry clutch unit, the mechatronics unit does have transmission oil in it. That needs to be replaced every 60000kms or so. If you remember the whole DQ200 failures were due to mechatronics unit getting shorted. It was due to synthetic oil that was being used earlier. Now VW have replaced the synthetic oil with semi-synthetic one and have claimed that this failure wont happen again. Fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks