Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 16:41   #1
BHPian

VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Against all odds, I trusted that Volkswagen must have sorted out the gearbox issues that plagued the DQ200 DSG Dry Dual Clutch boxes, but alas - it was not so

I think my post must begin with the summary of my experience with Volkswagen -

Brilliant cars, unmatched stability - terrible service, and absolutely non-reciprocative customer service!

I will begin with the exact transcript of the messages I have sent to Volkswagen South.

Quote:
I have personally loved this car right from the time I purchased it in October 2013. My car was among the first batch that made it to South Mumbai, and perhaps the only one that time in Shadow Blue. Now coming from the overall Japanese reliability of the Honda City, purchasing a Volkswagen was a huge leap, but one that was eventually bound to happen. The stability and the more spirited nature of the Polo GT had me sold - and I have loved the DSG gearbox ever since. Jan 2015, I embarked on a road trip with my family to Rajasthan. We did completed the trip around 3.5 K kms later - and that's when my woes began.

The infamous gearbox issues began. I'll simply copy paste the message I sent to the advisor below.

There are 3 major issues with the car - and all 3 issues do not happen regularly. Sometimes they occur, sometimes they don't.

Issue 1)
The car jerks within gear randomly. The jerks can happen up to 4 times - and are the most frequent in the 4th gear and the 7th gear, but it has happened in other gears as well. Often it happens when climbing a slope, and also when the car is full of people. This jerk is not the same as the usual single jerk of a gear change. That single jerk of gear change on hard acceleration is expected - but this jerks within the same gear.

Issue 2)
The car has been jerking when downshifting from D3 to D2. This also happens sometimes, and not always. This particular issue has been there ever since I've purchased the car, but I had assumed it was a problem with all DSG gearboxes. I researched online and found out that many people had this problem, so I ignored this one.

Issue 3)
This is the most troubling of all the problems, and this is what made me really worried. This issue has only happened once. I was driving the car in "D" mode. when suddenly, the car went out of gear! The engine continued revving, but the car stopped moving forward. Only the rev counter was shooting up to 6000 RPM, but it felt as though the car was in neutral. The gear indicator still showed "D2" but the car kept slowing down with no power going to the wheels. Then I switched to "S" but the car still had no power. Please note that the engine was still on, and the car was still revving. Finally I had to stop, and take it to the side, switch to "P" mode, and switch it back to "D" after which the car was fine.

The above issue number 3 has only happened once, but is very serious since it occurred while I was driving.

After researching for a long time online- I found out that the issue has been fixed for people with the same 7-Speed gearbox.

Possible Problems -
1) Clutch Pack is faulty
2) Gearbox itself is faulty

I highly doubt if there is a problem with the engine, since there has never been a problem with the power delivery.

This issue has been occurring since the past 6000 kms now, and I hope VW gives me a proper solution now. Only issue number 2 has been happening since purchase, but all the other issues are recent.

I understand that it's difficult to work on an issue that does not happen all the time, but I think Volkswagen must also understand that I have nothing to gain by getting my gearbox replaced or anything. I have wasted too much time trying to sort this issue out and will be terribly disappointed if no permanent solution is applied this time.

Also, Mr Swapnil, please keep a copy of this message for future reference.
Now, coming to the important parts I've not mentioned in the message above. I have already driven about 41000 kms now (which considering it being a petrol is slightly on the higher side. P.S. I'm not a fan of diesel cars anyway).

Until about 30000 kms, this jerking issue never came up even once. I genuinely enjoy driving this vehicle and despite my unfortunate incidents, I can't help but admire the level of stability and security you feel when cruising on the expressway in comparison to my old Honda. The quality of the materials, and the fluidity of the DSG (before all these issues occurred) is unmatched and impeccable in every regard.

I have visited the service centre at least 10 - 20 times in the last few months (perhaps even more) and not once I have I left satisfied. Finally I decided to employ the patient route to see if they would realise their faults, but to no avail. The average wait time at the Service centre, after being given a fixed appointment, was about 45 minutes. That's terrible by any standards, let alone a company which has German roots and carries their reputation for reliability.

I have spoken to every possible advisor in Volkswagen as well - and most of them, while being technically (as in the technicalities of a car) illiterate, are extremely unhelpful while pretending to be courteous. While it might sound like I'm one of those irrational angry guys who will go to unimaginable lengths to completely write off an entire company, I assure you I am not (or at least try not to be).

I have spoken to PR executives and technical people from the plant as well - and all I've been getting are repeated dates. I have never received an actual call from anyone I was co-ordinating with when promised and the only calls I do get from Volkswagen are the 5 calls the week after service asking me for feedback. I give them terrible feedback, they say "We'll look into it, we're very sorry" and then that's it. I get a call again and am asked the same questions the first 5 guys asked me.

Now, when the issue first showed up - I obviously did the first thing a car with an ECU can do - get it diagnosed from VW. Nothing showed up on their software. So told them it must be mechanical then. They tested it repeatedly, all their guys saying "everything is fine sir". I had to repeatedly visit them, then drive around until the problem occurred, and then they would take it back. And this entire circle has gone on for more than 2 months now.

Finally after losing all hope, i decided to vent on Team-BHP, and if I serve no concrete purpose to myself by doing this, at least others will be warned of my experience and choose wisely the next time.

Again, I will repeat what I've said above. VW cars are brilliant, VW service (in India at least) is the utter opposite of that.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2015 at 13:14. Reason: Formatting text for better readability
ahmadnaik is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:30   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
"
[i]There are 3 MAJOR issues with the car - and ALL 3 issues DO NOT HAPPEN REGULARLY. Sometimes they occur, sometimes they don't.
Incredible. I was about to create a post regarding the same.
My friend booked a white Polo GT TSi last month. And with less than 1000 kms on the ODO, the inevitable happened. The same jerking problem kept happening. Unfortunately, it happened when his driver took the car out. When moving from a standstill at a signal, the car jumped in D mode and hit an unlucky commuter biker.
His father, using some pull, contacted the Audi GM, who wasted no time in directing the VW showroom to replace this car with a new one.
I mean, don't we all know about the gearbox issue? But <1000 kms? This has got to be a major safety concern now.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th May 2015 at 11:41.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 10:33   #3
BHPian

And this is exactly why despite being a die hard petrol head who loves his red line I chose to go for the GT TDI.
Maybe this issue affects a certain batch or a certain percentile of cars with the dq200 tranny. Btw about the online forums you searched, if its some European forum with complaints from Euro customers it's highly doubtful that we will receive the same treatment that VW provided to them. Unless VW is a scumbag in both markets.
I hope you too pushed for replacement as I think if the car is in warranty that's the best way to go. But I fear it may take some arm wrestling. Not everyone of us knows the Audi GM now, do we?
Old 8th May 2015, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Guys,

I have been facing the same problem in my 3 month old Polo GT TSI. The car has clocked 5700 kms now and I have been facing the jerking issue since last 3k kms.

My car faces a strong jerk when accelerating gently in 2nd gear as if someone braked hard all of a sudden. The car loses power for about 2 seconds along with reduction in speed (as if 1st gear is engaged) and the power comes back to normal after that. All this happens while accelerating so really scares the shit out of me while overtaking.

Havent gone to the VW workshop yet since the above incident happens only once in a while (about twice or thrice in week, I drive her everyday) but really feel sorry for my purchase decision.

Any inputs how this can be addressed with the least possible wastage of time and energy?
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Apart from ahmadnaik's Vento TSI are there any other Vento/Polo TSI vehicles in here that has clocked similar mileage on the odometer?

I am wary about the long term reliability of the DQ200 gearbox and the two instances being reported in this thread helps to reinforce that. But seeing many TSI (Vento/Polo) ownership posts in here i was beginning to think otherwise.

Sincerely hope that OP's issue is resolved.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Apart from ahmadnaik's Vento TSI are there any other Vento/Polo TSI vehicles in here that has clocked similar mileage on the odometer?
Going by ajmat's post back in Feb 2014, Robi's TSI must have touched the 50k mark now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I had a quick spin in Robi's TSI. The Bilsteins make it a hoot to drive, coupled with the DSG, you literally need to point and squirt. Unlike my Jetta with a heavy mill over the front wheels, this tight little black number will be a hoot in towns.

36000km done and still tight as a nut
36000 km in 6 months! Never seen that sort of running with a diesel car!

TheSaint's GT TSI must have touched 30k by now I am guessing.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are at about 16k kms and grabs wood!!

Man now this is really worrisome, thought with the lesser power car issues will not crop up. The BLR dealers especially are useless, they had no clue when we checked about the oil grade change for the box as suggested by VW. We are still running with what came from the factory.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:11   #8
BHPian

This is outright scary... I have a Feb 2014 GT TSI and at 23K kms right now.
@Ahmednaik, did this just happen out of the blue or were did you notice any minor niggles that could have acted as indicators to the current problem?
Calling up my SA in some time to discuss this.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th May 2015 at 05:15. Reason: I assume you mean Feb'14 Model of GT TSI and not Feb 2013? Please PM me if iam incorrect. Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 12:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Going by ajmat's post back in Feb 2014, Robi's TSI must have touched the 50k mark now:
TheSaint's GT TSI must have touched 30k by now I am guessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
We are at about 16k kms and grabs wood!!

Man now this is really worrisome, thought with the lesser power car issues will not crop up. The BLR dealers especially are useless, they had no clue when we checked about the oil grade change for the box as suggested by VW. We are still running with what came from the factory.
Hope this is a one off case, if these two TSI have clocked as many KM without any DSG issues then its reassuring and good news indeed!

Jaggu, why don't you contact Robi or Saint and check what oil they have in their DSG boxes and get the oil grade from their VW workshops?
Old 8th May 2015, 14:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Ahmednaik:
Suggest if VW service continues with its apathetic response, you may wish to bring some pressure on the manufacturer through the media in parallel to your T-Bhp postings.

I believe Autocar India has a helpline / help column through which they extend support to vehicle users facing genuine vehicle related issues; issues which have remained unsolved and creating much grief to the customer.
The latest issue of ACI (page 148) mentions the helpline email id as: helpline@autocarindia.com
You have to send your grievances in detail, with your contact nos, vehicle picture and and a picture of yourself.

Maybe you would like to give it a shot. No harm in exploring all avenues.

Sincerely hope the problem is solved at the earliest. Good luck!
Old 8th May 2015, 14:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Vento AT has clocked 64,000 km. But that's with the old school torque converter!

But this is terrible to hear. Is this related to the old ghost of mechatronics that plagued these boxes back when? Didn't VW announce confidently that they'd got rid of that problem by using mineral oil instead of synthetic?
Old 8th May 2015, 14:32   #12
BHPian

After 3 years of wait and multiple posts on this forum about the "perfect car" I was looking for, I have finally decided to take the plunge.
Have short-listed City and Ciaz so far, but that's more of a mind decision.

My heart always said go for Safari Storme (which TM blew off) or Vento Diesel with DSG, and was about to book it next month. I am completely sold on to that after 2 test drives, one of that was a bit longish. Its a rock solid car. But NO.
This is scary. I wont put million+ bucks on that after reading this post and so many similar threads.

I would let my mind rule over heart.
Search begins again...
advaitlele is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have been running around telling people that these are issues of the past and the DQ200 boxes used in the polo and vento are perfectly alright encouraging them to buy these cars over their Jap rivals...guess I was completely wrong
Old 8th May 2015, 14:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
. I wont put million+ bucks on that after reading this post and so many similar threads.

I would let my mind rule over heart.
Search begins again...
I agree. I was about to test drive the Vento TSI this week. Don't see the point in even considering the TSI with the DSG box after reading this recent thread. If they had a manual (TSI) I would still have considered it.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, why don't you contact Robi or Saint and check what oil they have in their DSG boxes and get the oil grade from their VW workshops?
This car is under lease plan that covers maintenance also. Hence preferred to do it at VW service, don't want buggers to disown saying you changed the oil without asking. That is all.

Let me get some info on the technicalities first.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks