Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 20:26   #61
BHPian

re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Do not cancel the booking only based on my thread. Like other users have clearly pointed out, this could be a one off issue as well.
Thanks for the suggestion ahmadnaik. Have actually decided to stay with the booking and not cancel it, the only comfort I can provide for myself is buying the extended warranty and plainly being hopeful that nothing goes wrong - in fact, VW dealership here in Bangalore says they cover manufacturing defects which are not ordinary wear and tear. What is a manufacturing defect is a subjective issue, which VW wants to be the judge of. That does trouble me but at the end I am a consumer who can do only as much, i.e. to shop between the brands on offer and no other car meets my heart as much as the GT-TSI does at this point in time. Hence the GT it is!

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th May 2015 at 03:47. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 15th May 2015, 01:31   #62
BHPian

Hi ahmadnaik

The same incident was happening with my Honda Civic AT since a month. And yesterday evening your Issue 3) happened with my car. However the RPM was not high but the engine went Grrrrrrr. So I shifted it to N then brought it back to D but Alas ! I turned off the engine and started it.

Actually, I had given my car at the HASS to fix low mileage problem. They changed some ECU settings and asked me to drive it for 15 days and observe. I spent over 100 Gallons of Fuel already and I see no change except that my car vibrates when I drive between 18-36 KMPH. Basically when the gears shift from 1-2 its like a rubber band, 2-3 it does the Grrrrrr and vibrates a little. 3-4-5 is smooth.

Anyways, after the Issue 3) happened last evening, I took my car to HASS @ Kalina, Mumbai. I opened the hood and showed it to the Diagnostician and he spotted a crack in the mount which was not visible to me earlier. We then did a test drive and he felt the vibrations too. Thankfully we both were in Sync and he concluded that this problem is due to bad mounts. He said "AAP Bindaas Gaadi Chalao" and assured me that this vibrations will go away after I change mounts. I am running low on budget currently as I spent a whooping amount lately on my car and not willing to blow another 30K. So I have decided to wait for 15 days and will change the mounts.

Keep in mind, the mounts HAVE to be changed if your steering vibrates at first start of the day.

I hope my above explanation will be of some use to you.

Cheers !.
Old 15th May 2015, 01:47   #63
BHPian

Cars have a lot of moving parts and some of it will fail/ develop problems. That is normal.
It becomes problematic when the percentage of failures and problems become significant. If VW is not able to service such a small number of cars in India, I really don't know what happens when they become significant in terms of volume.
CarJunki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 13:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
I am running low on budget currently as I spent a whooping amount lately on my car and not willing to blow another 30K. So I have decided to wait for 15 days and will change the mounts.

Keep in mind, the mounts HAVE to be changed if your steering vibrates at first start of the day.

I hope my above explanation will be of some use to you.

Cheers !.
Not at all the same issue from the looks of it. However, I am surprised to see that you are not pushing for a replacement of engine mount under warranty this is not something that ought to fail so quickly do force them to look into the matter more seriously, chat around, find out which the best service center in your city is and maybe get a buddy to introduce you to the works manager there inform him about the problem, have them diagnose it completely and make them change the parts under warranty. Unless you have been crashing into potholes or something really hard

PS: oops just noticed you might not be residing in the country and are perhaps driving a Civic. No sleep lead me to think you were driving a new Honda City even though you haven't mentioned such silly me
MODS please feel free to delete my reply

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th May 2015 at 13:19.
Old 15th May 2015, 16:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
Okay- I got my car back from the dealer today and I was told I could use it until the replacement parts arrive. They had given me a convenience car for the last 2 days as well, a nice gesture if you ask me. The technical advisor said they have placed an order for a new "Mechatronics Unit" and will also be making a few changes to some "parts of the gearbox". Sounds like it could possibly solve the issue - but keeping my fingers crossed until the parts actually arrive and are fitted in my car. I will give myself at least a week or two of testing after the new unit is fitted and only then can I say with certainty if the issue has been resolved or not. Will keep this thread updated.
That is actually worrisome. The mechatronics unit is the usual part that is replaced for DSG trouble. But I'm not sure the issue has been diagnosed correctly, because with DSG failures that I have read about, you would think your car won't be running.

Maybe this is just the start of the troubles and because you took the car to VW quickly the issue hasn't come to a head. I guess we'll know if the mechatronics change fixes the issue.

PS - would also be interesting to know if your car came with mineral oil in the gearbox or synthetic. I've been told that cars from March 2014 onwards at least had the change. i.e. mine.

Last edited by StarScream : 15th May 2015 at 16:27. Reason: post script
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 16:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article and statement given by VW Malaysia senior management on DQ200 issues as well as VW's performance in Malaysia.

http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/v...ices-underway/

Maybe we should do this in our country too?
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 11:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I guess we'll know if the mechatronics change fixes the issue.

PS - would also be interesting to know if your car came with mineral oil in the gearbox or synthetic. I've been told that cars from March 2014 onwards at least had the change. i.e. mine.
I've purchased my car in 2013 - and last I heard all the cars they sold in India had the gearbox oil changed, since that was isolated as the "cause for failures" in hotter climates. You are the first person who's telling me that the change happened post March 2014, which is indeed troubling.

Anyways, I'll wait till the Mechatronics replacement arrives, and pray it gets okay with that. If not, then I'm afraid I'll be forced to ask for a more drastic corrective measure, like a gearbox replacement.

Despite my love for VW as a brand, I'm afraid these issues have forced me to one conclusion at least - a VW without a warranty in India is a dangerous situation one does not want to be in.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've purchased my car in 2013 - and last I heard all the cars they sold in India had the gearbox oil changed, since that was isolated as the "cause for failures" in hotter climates. You are the first person who's telling me that the change happened post March 2014...
What I meant was that I'm aware of the change since at least when I got my car, six months after yours. If you checked at the time of buying your car, then the change was made a lot earlier and I have no reason to doubt you.

I'm not saying the change happened only in March 2014.

If all this means a mechatronics change despite mineral oil, then we are all screwed.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 17:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
What I meant was that I'm aware of the change since at least when I got my car, six months after yours. If you checked at the time of buying your car, then the change was made a lot earlier and I have no reason to doubt you.

I'm not saying the change happened only in March 2014.

If all this means a mechatronics change despite mineral oil, then we are all screwed.
Don't worry so much starscream. Cars with remap from day 1, intake/exhaust mods, intense track, highway and crawling commute usage, paddle shifters are doing absolutely fine at 25k+. Could be a one off. The slight jerkiness in 3 to 2/2 to 1 is an inherent part of the transmission and coming from a Torque converter AT, took me a bit of time to get used to.
d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

I faced a similar issue with a GOLF TDI it was a 2013 Automatic, i am not sure if it is the same gear box as in TSI.

I was doing speeds of 80 MPH on UK motorways, there was a massive jerk and the car felt like it braked hard. after that it drove fine.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:01   #71
BHPian

I dropped the car at the workshop today after getting a call from them saying the new Mechatronics unit has arrived. Expected delivery is in approximately 2 days. The service Advisor said they'll fix the part latest by mid-day tomorrow after which the car will be taken on an extensive test drive to see if the issue has been resolved, after which a log will be created and the car released subsequently.
Old 22nd May 2015, 20:05   #72
BHPian

I was supposed to get my car back yesterday. But after talking to the technical advisor, I was informed that the parts (Mechatronics) have been fitted but the logs post the change are still showing irregular results. So the car is still with the workshop. I was offered a convenience car today, and even though it was better than the last one which randomly broke down at 4am, this car was given to me without any papers. So I was forced to send it back. Again, not trying to be harsh, but during this whole process VW has been responding rather poorly and failing to keep up with commitments regarding updates on the status of the vehicle. If it takes 5 days instead of 2 it's certainly understandable, but if you are promised 2 days, and then don't even receive a call telling you the car will take 3 more days, then it's extremely poor response with regards to customer service. I have sent the convenience car bak since driving without papers is a strict "no" for me and hopefully I'll get it again tomorrow with the papers.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2015 at 20:25. Reason: Formatted text
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:34   #73
BHPian

Atleast be glad that they didn't give the car back to you with the defect and make you go through this all over again. I am really curious about this case now.
Old 23rd May 2015, 19:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was supposed to get my car back yesterday. But after talking to the technical advisor, I was informed that the parts (Mechatronics) have been fitted but the logs post the change are still showing irregular results. So the car is still with the workshop.
So as was the conjecture, the mechatronics change didn't fix the problem? I know this elongates your ordeal ahmednaik but that is actually good news because it indicates this is not the "dreaded DSG issue."
Old 24th May 2015, 00:55   #75
BHPian

I got the car back today, after much deliberation. VW informed me that they have "Tested" the car and the latest logs showed that "all was okay", and I've almost lost count of the number of times I've been told that. I went for a trip out of town, cause thats when the issue creeps up the most since I have the necessary roads to put the car through all its gears in a satisfactory manner.

The issue has not been resolved yet. Not in the least. It is exactly the same as before and I called VW and told them immediately. I have now been told that "the technical team will be notified about my response" and that's it. Again, I'm left hanging with no future prospect of a solution. My fingers are still crossed, and I'm considering trying to learn to cross my toes as well.

Quote:
So as was the conjecture, the mechatronics change didn't fix the problem? I know this elongates your ordeal ahmednaik but that is actually good news because it indicates this is not the "dreaded DSG issue."
Well I'm personally hoping it's not the "dreaded dsg issue" more than anyone else, but technically speaking I don't think it's ruled out yet. Mechatronics were one part of the issue. I've read on some forums online that for some people replacing the entire gearbox has solved their issue. So if that's that, then perhaps theres one more thing I think VW can try before I absolutely give up hope.

Also, some people have got their issue resolved with a simple change of their clutch pack. I have already put forward that suggestion to VW earlier when I mentioned my research and the solutions I found online that worked for customers with the same problems as me. So I'm hoping either one of the two components, clutch pack or the gearbox itself, could still be the culprits behind the 'shuddering' feeling I'm still getting at sporadic intervals while driving.

Again - I'd like to mention - I love the quality of the car, and save for this issue, it is brilliant in every regard at this price point.
ahmadnaik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks