Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 00:10   #196
BHPian

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Having read through this thread I have two questions.

1. If I buy the Vento TSI it will be driven equally by me and my wife. Our driving styles are very different: she accelerates fast and brakes late, whereas mine is opposite of that. Will the gearbox be able to adapt to two different driving styles? My concern is it may give rise to this infamous jerking. (To anyone who wants to say 'tell her to change her style', you are welcome to do the honour )

2. Some posts suggest recent makes do not have this jerking problem. Is there consensus on this amongst recent buyers?
I generally accelerate gradually, but sometimes I've driven the other way too, whenever I feel like pulling away on a clean road . I haven't faced any visible issues so far. Of course, there is a slight jerk at times when it downshifts from D3 -> D2, but it seems very normal. I am now able to avoid it on many occasions by streamlining my braking/acceleration.

So yes, IMO, you can go for the car blindly. She is wonderful to drive.

PS - My experience is based on the Polo GT TSI. The Vento TSI should be equally good.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 16:59   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Having read through this thread I have two questions.

1. If I buy the Vento TSI it will be driven equally by me and my wife. Our driving styles are very different: she accelerates fast and brakes late, whereas mine is opposite of that. Will the gearbox be able to adapt to two different driving styles? My concern is it may give rise to this infamous jerking. (To anyone who wants to say 'tell her to change her style', you are welcome to do the honour )

2. Some posts suggest recent makes do not have this jerking problem. Is there consensus on this amongst recent buyers?
Hi Guite,

I have a Vento TSI myself and let me share my experience with you regarding "accelerates fast and brakes late" that you have mentioned.

My father, who is used to a MT for all these years, took a bit of time to know and adjust to the DSG box. The biggest problem he faced (or rather I faced watching him drive) was over acceleration. You might ask what and how ??

Lets take a step back. We all know that as brilliant as these DSG's are, they do have a bit of lag (milliseconds) between when you press the accelerator and when you actually pick up and feel the corresponding speed. Especially evident if there is a downshift operation when you press the A pedal.
Now, to compensate for this lag, my father used to press the A pedal even further, resulting in what I mentioned "over acceleration", which can be really dangerous if you know what I mean.

Of course its not my father's fault. Just that he doesnt know how DSG's work internally. All he needed was a bit of practice and some education from my side. The DSG is equally innoncent, as this is how it is designed to function.
It is a matter of Man understanding the Machine.!!

So, my point is that you and your wife need to test drive the vehicle and see if it suits your style of driving and if you are able to adapt the DSG style of driving. The gearbox will NOT adapt, rather you and your wife will have to adapt. The gearbox will only adapt to the up-shift times, over a period of time, depending on how much A pedal you depress. Thats a different topic, anyways.

Regarding the jerking issue, from my experience, while down shifting from D3 -> D2, what I felt was it was more of a deceleration effect. Now it could be that VW has updated the software or something to make the downshift smoother by controlling the RPM's.
I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts that there is no or very little need to use brakes during downshifts because of this so called "Jerk". So again, just a matter of getting used to the machine.

I hope you got my point and what I am trying to say. Hope it helps in your decision.

Thanks.
Mitz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 22:19   #198
BHPian

I plan to take a test drive of the TSI DSG combination this weekend. The test mule will be a Polo. I want to experience the D3-D2 jerk, which from what I could understand from the various posts here, is inherent to this gearbox at a mild level. How do I replicate it? With hard breaking from say 60kmph? Accelerate hard and lift off right foot suddenly? There will not be any opportunity for uphill climb except on flyovers.
Old 14th July 2016, 23:55   #199
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to take a test drive of the TSI DSG combination this weekend. The test mule will be a Polo. I want to experience the D3-D2 jerk, which from what I could understand from the various posts here, is inherent to this gearbox at a mild level. How do I replicate it? With hard breaking from say 60kmph? Accelerate hard and lift off right foot suddenly? There will not be any opportunity for uphill climb except on flyovers.
You will feel it if you simply brake while you're in D3. I mostly feel it when I am travelling at a speed of around 30 kmph, and have to brake if I spot a speed breaker. The downshift to D2 can be felt in this case, but like a member already said, it sort of feels like a deceleration effect, though not perfect.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 20:05   #200
BHPian

I took a test drive of the TSI DSG combo on a Polo GT today. I braked normally at D3 a few times, no jerk noticed. I braked hard at D6 or D7, hard enough for the non buckled SA at the rear to be thrown forward, but no jerk either. The test vehicle seemed a recent model because it had flat bottom steering wheel.

I engine is extremely smooth and silent. In fact at idle there is no engine noise, however the compressor noise is quite noticeable.

I am beginning to feel more convinced towards the Vento TSI.
Old 23rd July 2016, 01:18   #201
BHPian

Facing DSG shudder in my 3 year old GT TSI. This was sorted during the 15K Kms but the problem has surfaced with even higher intensity (at 32K Kms).

Earlier, the jerk was felt during deceleration/braking (downshifts), but now even while accelerating (moderate foot on the accelerator),shudder can be felt.

Will take it to VW Service center next week
Old 23rd July 2016, 06:46   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
1. There is a slight bit of hesitation in taking-off n 1st gear, felt especially on Red lights with bumper-to-bumper traffic. You feel you are late to start once the car ahead of you starts to move...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
1. Yes you're right. I feel the same, when stopped to a standstill and then releasing the brake takes time to move. May be because it has some kind of hold assist...
A little OT for this thread but to both of you I'll suggest just one simple thing: Anticipate the traffic and lift your foot off the brake 2 seconds earlier and the DSG will reward you when you want it to. Yes, the 'hill hold assist' takes about that much time to release the brake.

If you are new to your cars then you'll master it soon enough.

BTW the HHA has nothing to do with being actually on a slope.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 23rd July 2016 at 07:06.
Old 23rd July 2016, 20:33   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
BTW the HHA has nothing to do with being actually on a slope.
If I understand correctly, it does.

Extract from Skoda manual:
http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...225&WebPartID=

Hill Hold Control
The Hill Hold Control allows easy starting up the hill without the risk of unwanted rolling backwards or using the handbrake. It is activated automatically when hill grade is higher than 5%, both when driving forward or in reverse.

When driver releases the brake pedal after stopping on the hill, the HHC keeps the pressure in the brake system for 1 or 2 seconds. In this interval, you can launch easily without rolling.
Old 24th July 2016, 00:46   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If I understand correctly, it does.

Extract from Skoda manual:
http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...225&WebPartID=

Hill Hold Control
The Hill Hold Control allows easy starting up the hill without the risk of unwanted rolling backwards or using the handbrake. It is activated automatically when hill grade is higher than 5%, both when driving forward or in reverse.

When driver releases the brake pedal after stopping on the hill, the HHC keeps the pressure in the brake system for 1 or 2 seconds. In this interval, you can launch easily without rolling.
I speak from the way my GT tsi behaves (and from all accounts, so do all other GTs). Irrespective of the gradient I'm on or rather even if I am on absolutely level ground the brake is released only after about 2 seconds.

The fact is that this default behavior ALSO helps on gradients. Don't know about Skoda's as haven't driven one. But I suspect it shouldn't be any different. Even the GT's manual describes the 'feature' similarly while being quietly silent that it does the same on level ground too.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 24th July 2016 at 00:48.
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 15:05   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Even the GT's manual describes the 'feature' similarly while being quietly silent that it does the same on level ground too.
Indeed my GT's manual certainly says something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!-1469352870461.jpg  

Old 30th September 2016, 11:41   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Facing DSG shudder in my 3 year old GT TSI. This was sorted during the 15K Kms but the problem has surfaced with even higher intensity (at 32K Kms).

Earlier, the jerk was felt during deceleration/braking (downshifts), but now even while accelerating (moderate foot on the accelerator),shudder can be felt.

Will take it to VW Service center next week

Most of the DSG issues are reported around 30k kms mark, is it correct to state that the 30 k mark is the 'life'of the DSG box?

I am completely sold on the design, solidity, technology of the German beauty Vento, but these DSG reports are scaring me, I am someone never want to let go of my cars, want to keep then as long as possible, so I am bit skeptical about going ahead booking the DSG.
Old 30th September 2016, 13:43   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Even the GT's manual describes the 'feature' similarly while being quietly silent that it does the same on level ground too.
I have been observing similar behaviour in my Vento TSI, to the extend that I feel applying handbrake should not be required while stopping at traffic signals. The few time I did not engage hand brake the car has not rolled. However I still engage it most of the time partly due to habit and partly to be on safer side.
Old 8th October 2016, 16:03   #208

I have a Polo GT TSI and it jerks at least once every one or two days when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I replaced the plates for 50k but the issue still persists. Is there a proper fix for this? The car has done almost 30k kilometres and the issue has been there since I hit about 10k on the odometer.
Old 8th October 2016, 17:24   #209
BHPian

It is not unusual for DSG gearbox to jerk during gearshifts. This happens as the clutch plate starts to wear out. The DSG is pre-programmed for certain amount of freeplay in the clutch release mechanism. This play increases as the clutch wears out and leads to jerky gear changes. It is advisable to adapt the DSG for free play every 10k kilometres. This can be a simple 2 minute DIY job with a VCDS cable.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 19:08   #210
BHPian

Classic symptoms of excessive play are gerky gear changes, leaping forward when coming to stop and clutch slip when going uphill especially in D2.

DSG adaptation would solve all of them.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks