Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2017, 22:00   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti's AMT woes

I'm experiencing real bad problems with my Alto K10 AMT which I have explained in detail in the other thread since I want to maintain a continuity of sorts. I'm mentioning the problem here since this thread has a wider audience and I want to give everyone a chance to read whats happening with my Alto AMT.

Note to Mods: Please let me know if cross referencing one's own posts is something that we're not allowed to do?! If so, do copy the contents of my post here so that it reaches a wider audience.
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 22:31   #152
BHPian

Honestly, it's quite surprising to note that Suzuki is putting it's painstakingly built reputation on the line with the AMT despite all the negative feedback. This level of failures actually puts a big blot on the reliability and trust that's synonymous with Japanese automotive industry.
Old 13th November 2017, 08:06   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been driving Maruti Alto AMT now for 20k plus kilometers almost all of them within congested and jam prone Gurgaon. Find it ever so convenient and fun. No judders or any problems till now.
Old 13th November 2017, 08:58   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I'm experiencing real bad problems with my Alto K10 AMT which I have explained in detail in the other thread since I want to maintain a continuity of sorts. I'm mentioning the problem here since this thread has a wider audience and I want to give everyone a chance to read whats happening with my Alto AMT.

Note to Mods: Please let me know if cross referencing one's own posts is something that we're not allowed to do?! If so, do copy the contents of my post here so that it reaches a wider audience.
Keeping the AMT discussions to this thread, did they try reinitialising the transmission controller and check if this problem goes? There is one buggy loop in the software of the AMT. This has happens to me once in a month or so when I try to Accelerate-Brake-Accelerate from standstill. At a certain stage the transmission behaves like the clutch is disengaged and engaged many times a second. But that happens very rarely and not everytime I repeat the action. This happens even with a new clutch or an old clutch hence I dont suspect its the clutch at stake.

The sequence of events is similar, the clutch gives 3-4jerks before engaging and this goes away once the accelerator is pressed. But in my case, its 8k kms after the clutch change and the judder has not reappeared whereas in the previous run, it reappeared in 3.5k kms only. That makes me believe, this juddering is an issue with the clutch cover rather than the clutch disc.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 16:11   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keeping the AMT discussions to this thread, did they try reinitialising the transmission controller and check if this problem goes? .........
That makes me believe, this juddering is an issue with the clutch cover rather than the clutch disc.
As far as I know the SA hasn't informed me of any reinitialising or reloading of software to any thing related to AMT. He had a somewhat callous attitude (he marked my car as Alto 800 despite knowing that am complaining about the AMT which comes only in the K10 variant). The service feedback SMS I have received also show this as an Alto800! With such competent SAs, there's very little I can expect from them. If things go south, I'll probably sell off the car since its given me more worries than happy moments.
My prev gen K10 (the pocket rocket) was such a lovely car - I had clocked 30000km on it when i sold it off to buy this AMT madness - not one of those 30000+km the car misbehaved! I think my experience with the AMT should be a fair warning to others who are planning/contemplating on buying a car with one.

Lets wait for the feedback from Maruti/SA. I'll hold onto my judgement until then.
Old 15th November 2017, 15:15   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I think my experience with the AMT should be a fair warning to others who are planning/contemplating on buying a car with one. Lets wait for the feedback from Maruti/SA. I'll hold onto my judgement until then.
Hi vsathyap. Reading the ordeal you are undergoing, I'd suggest you to sell the car, it is extremely unsafe to drive with such unpredictable behavior. Any update from the service center?

It is saddening to see so many owners facing issues with the AMT. I hope Maruti does a detailed investigation and replace parts under mass recall. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones who hasn't faced any issues with the AMT so far. My Alto K10 AMT has now crossed 58000kms of eventless and comfortable drive. The car still runs on stock mechanicals and software. My driving method is to go gentle with the A pedal whenever the gearbox is about to shift and after the shift, in D mode. I am not certain if this method works but may be this helped me to avoid clutch judder.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:59   #157
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if I have missed this before but are these issues only related with Maruti AMT cars because I don't see such issues with Tata cars?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th November 2017 at 00:11. Reason: cos > because. No SMS lingo please. Thanks!
Old 15th November 2017, 17:47   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Sorry if I have missed this before but are these issues only related with Maruti AMT cars because I don't see such issues with Tata cars?
The issue is reported in Maruti cars with the 1.0L 3 cylinder K10 engine, Alto K10 AMT and Celerio AMT. I believe the clutch judder occurs due to the poor low end torque in the K10 engine cars. So far no issues were reported with 1.2L 4 cylinder K12 engine & 1.3L 4 cylinder DDIS engine in the Ignis AMT, Dzire AMT and Zest AMT which has much better low end torque. Probably the Tiago AMT and Tigor AMT has better low end torque/better gear ratio than the Alto and Celerio.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th November 2017 at 00:11. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:53   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
The issue is reported in Maruti cars with the 1.0L 3 cylinder K10 engine, Alto K10 AMT and Celerio AMT. I believe the clutch judder occurs due to the poor low end torque .
Partly agree about the low end torque part. But that aint the actual reason why we arent seeing complaints from other cars. Even if low end torque is adequate, there will be clutch slipping done in first and second gear to smoothen the transition jerks.

The sales numbers of the K10 AMT combination surpasses that of any other AMT equipped car at least till date before the Dzire becomes popular. The higher numbers also mean that the cars are put to a wider scenario of tests, with a greater bunch of drivers. And a lot of owners of the K10 AMT are on TBHP itself. Compared to that, theres hardly a few owners here owning the 1.3MJD AMT combo either in the Dzire or Zest. Hence, the number of reported issues is also higher for the K10. Only when the latest Dzire completes a few months in the market, we will get a feedback of how the AMT performs in the longrun.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th November 2017 at 00:12. Reason: Quoted post edited.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:09   #160
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone using an Ignis Diesel AMT? Same issues on that model as well?
Old 12th December 2017, 09:04   #161
BHPian

Hi All, i am facing the juddering issue in Alto. Its not bad but irritating. Also the AMT upshifts very early, which causes a severe lag even without a/c. I took the car to my nearest service center - Pratha Motors Bellandur, opp ecospace. The SA took some drives inside the service center and acknoledged the issue. He said, entire clutch assembly has to be change and approximate cost would be INR 5500 + taxes. I feel that he is wrong. I didnt take his suggestion and came back. Need your views on this. Mine is a 11 months old Alto K10 AMt which is nearing 15,000 kms now.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All, i am facing the juddering issue in Alto. Its not bad but irritating. Also the AMT upshifts very early, which causes a severe lag even without a/c. I took the car to my nearest service center - Pratha Motors Bellandur, opp ecospace. The SA took some drives inside the service center and acknoledged the issue. He said, entire clutch assembly has to be change and approximate cost would be INR 5500 + taxes. I feel that he is wrong. I didnt take his suggestion and came back. Need your views on this. Mine is a 11 months old Alto K10 AMt which is nearing 15,000 kms now.
Early up shifting is really irritating on these K10 AMT's when driven sedately. A possible workaround is to push it a little hard which makes it up shift late.
On the juddering issue, I presume your car is under warranty and Maruti is obliged to change your clutch assembly under warranty if they acknowledge the issue.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 09:35   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Early up shifting is really irritating on these K10 AMT's when driven sedately. A possible workaround is to push it a little hard which makes it up shift late.
On the juddering issue, I presume your car is under warranty and Maruti is obliged to change your clutch assembly under warranty if they acknowledge the issue.
Thanks bhp_maniac! the SA said to me that the clutch assembly needs to be replaced and he said it will not come under warranty. Will take it with the Service center manager tomorrow.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:38   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks bhp_maniac! the SA said to me that the clutch assembly needs to be replaced and he said it will not come under warranty. Will take it with the Service center manager tomorrow.
That's an insane comment from the SA, you should definitely take it up to higher levels if needed. I remember changing the clutch of my Swift D under warranty around 1.5 years / 25 k. And am sure you can find similar cases in this thread.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 09:45   #165
BHPian

Experiencing one or 2 judders is not enough to pronounce the clutch assembly as faulty. I have been using an Alto K10 AMT from Jan 2015 for about 16K km in crowded Pune traffic most of the time. It does judder once in a while (maybe once a week), especially at less than 2000 rpm in 2nd gear, when the load is high - like up a gradient, or fully loaded with AC on.

The AMT works flawlessly otherwise. The method to test the clutch for an AMT should be no different from a manual clutch. Drive in Manual (M) mode at low speed in 2nd gear, and accelerate strongly. If the RPM rises linearly with speed, the clutch is not slipping and there are no issues. If that does not happen the clutch is likely slipping.

Seeing a lot of heartburn on this thread, I think what one must remember is that the AMT does better than the average driver in "most" conditions. In a case or two it does judder, but nothing to cause Maruti to recall its fleet of sold cars. Sorry for the rant, but this is my opinion.
shajoshi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks