Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2018, 18:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Liqui Moly Cera Tec Friction Modifier in my Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
I just added it on top of the recommended oil capacity when I changed the oil. Innova takes around 7L of oil. So I thought that a 2% difference in the total quantity would hardly matter.
Quite a noticeable difference I must say. I got the can yesterday and drove for around 30 kms and the smoothness is quite obvious. It 500/- for a can although through Amazon there was a good discount.
Those who don't want to spend on Ceratec, this is a good alternative.
Need to check how long the effect will last.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 18:57   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quite a noticeable difference I must say. I got the can yesterday and drove for around 30 kms and the smoothness is quite obvious. It 500/- for a can although through Amazon there was a good discount.
Those who don't want to spend on Ceratec, this is a good alternative.
Need to check how long the effect will last.
Just thinking out loud. This might not really be an issue.

Ford already uses a very low viscosity 5w30 high mileage oil in the 1.5L TDCi. It was very thin when compared to the 5w30 Liqui Moly oil I changed recently.

This additive makes the oil even less viscous as it is low viscosity additive from the description.

Maybe for the Ford if you use 5w40 oil and then add this additive you will see even more benefit.

PS: what oil are you using now? I'm looking at this oil to try. Reading a lot of good reviews and exceeds Ford spec as well. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 7th April 2018, 18:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! I have ordered the cheaper oil additive too for my diesel old gen figo. I am due for a service in 4,000 kms, but will add this now and see how it copes. The fully synthetic mobil is just fantastic oil btw. I am closing in on 80k.

I have also ordered the petrol injector cleaner from liquimoly for my Versys 650. Keen on trying that one out too.

@vid i am using amsoil on the versys and its been pretty good so far. Very highly rated oil everywhere. Just go for it. I will stick with amsoil for the bike,after having tried both motul and shell.

I am also wondering if i should switch the figo to amsoil, but i have an unopened litre can of mobil sitting with me.

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th April 2018 at 19:13.
Old 7th April 2018, 20:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just thinking out loud. This might not really be an issue.

Ford already uses a very low viscosity 5w30 high mileage oil in the 1.5L TDCi. It was very thin when compared to the 5w30 Liqui Moly oil I changed recently.

This additive makes the oil even less viscous as it is low viscosity additive from the description.

Maybe for the Ford if you use 5w40 oil and then add this additive you will see even more benefit.

PS: what oil are you using now? I'm looking at this oil to try. Reading a lot of good reviews and exceeds Ford spec as well. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I'm with the one Ford uses. Not sure if it's Castrol or Shell.
Is low viscosity additive with low viscosity additive bad on the long run? I'm planning to use it every 10 K kms.
With recommendation from Code6 to change oil every 5k kms, I'm still in thoughts if I should stick to Ford service center oil or a good one from outside.
Old 8th April 2018, 00:45   #35
BHPian

I just wanted to ask, whether diesel cars in India come with DPF installed.
If not, then why don't people just add ZDDP additive instead of these expensive options.
ZDDP has always been the option used by oil companies and they had to lower it's concentrations with every API standard because higher ZDDP damages catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters.
But ZDDP is still one of the best and cheapest anti-wear agent available. Nearly all companies offer Racing Oil or Oil for Classic cars which contains higher levels of ZDDP. I might try out the Penrite HRP 10W-50 oil(1800ppm of ZDDP) after I see how my 16yr old car reacts to 5W-40 fully synthetic oil.
Old 8th April 2018, 09:13   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I'm with the one Ford uses. Not sure if it's Castrol or Shell.
Is low viscosity additive with low viscosity additive bad on the long run? I'm planning to use it every 10 K kms.
With recommendation from Code6 to change oil every 5k kms, I'm still in thoughts if I should stick to Ford service center oil or a good one from outside.
Purely based on my understanding but if the viscosity is too low it might vapourize.

My oil level dropped using the OE Ford oil which is why I switched to Liqui Moly. The Liqui Moly was the same grade of 5w30 but appeared more viscous than the OE. The OE was like water whereas the Liqui Moly was thicker oily to the touch.

In comparison the Ceratec which I used on the Corolla was a thicker additive.

I will run the liqui Moly for 5k kms then again use Liqui Moly but I am very curious to try the Amsoil Signature as it has better reviews than even Mobil1 Synthetic.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th April 2018 at 12:09. Reason: more viscous not less
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My oil level dropped using the OE Ford oil which is why I switched to Liqui Moly. The Liqui Moly was the same grade of 5w30 but appeared more viscous than the OE. The OE was like water whereas the Liqui Moly was thicker oily to the touch.

In comparison the Ceratec which I used on the Corolla was a thicker additive.
Even our 16 Ecosport diesel does consume a bit of engine oil with OE Ford oil & we have only done 32k km. Our Punto MJD required Petronas 5W40 grade oil & that engine didn't consume any oil. How is the oil consumption with Liqui Moly 5W30?

I am also thinking of trying out Liqui Moly fully synthetic oil in our Ecosport. Can I expect any noticeable improvement with the synthetic oil? The other problem with synthetic oil will be that the warranty will be void, I don't think the Ford guys will allow engine oil from outside. Still I am willing to take the risk if the gains are significant & running on synthetic oil helps to prolong the engine life. It also helps that Ecosport is a fairly reliable car.

Photo of the oil dipstick when our ecosport was due for the 30k km service:

Review: Liqui Moly Cera Tec Friction Modifier in my Skoda Laura-oil-level-ecosport1.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th April 2018 at 20:42.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
I ended up trying the Engine Oil Treatment from Liqui-Moly since I was also doing the Engine Oil Flush and have achieved quite good results in the aspect of reducing harsh engine vibrations and noise. Is a much cheaper alternative to the Ceratec Friction modifier from the same company at Rs 350 for 5 litres.
Now that you may have driven this for some time, any feedback different from what you have already shared? Am considering this for the next service of my Toyota Innova Gen-2.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Now that you may have driven this for some time, any feedback different from what you have already shared? Am considering this for the next service of my Toyota Innova Gen-2.
Highly recommended. Will probably be using it with all future oil changes in the Innova. The car has covered some 4000kms since then and even my dad commented on the car is noticeably smoother and quieter.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 16:14   #40
BHPian

During my recent oil change I used this on my 40k run 1.5 TDCI figo, results are outstanding. Ford used non synthetic oil yet prominent difference in behavior is seen. I'll consider switching over to good synthetic oil during next change along with Ceratec mix, hopefully to yield even better results.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 21:33   #41

Hi Arvind. Great to see your efforts for NVH mesurements. I have a few suggestions, in case you perform any measurement next time:
1) Always measure noise levels near your ear location.
2) Measure overall levels, rather going for analyzing the time series signal both for noise as well a vibration, in case you do not have FFT.
3) Vibrations could be measured at steering wheel location at 3'o Clock position, as its the general tactile location for major users. Fix the cellphone with rubber bands.

Objective data helps us in differentiating the after-effects of any change done on the base system or sub-system. But if the change is felt good subjectively, then it doesn't matters what the objective data says.

We work in NVH spectrums, 1/3 Octaves, Sound quality metrices etc. to analyze problems for root cause analysis, But still major decisions are taken based on findings and ratings of Jury evaluation exercise.

Anyways, Thanks for your review on CeraTec. I shall try the same on my Thar CRDe soon.

Regards,
Sourabh

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2018 at 21:43. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post. Inconveniences small screen readers. Thanks.
Sanzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 13:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

My mileage also reached to crazy levels, and there was a marked difference in the smoothness of the engine.

A warning:
Regards,
Shashi
What is a good barometer for knowing if the car has sludging issues?
I have an 8yr old Fiesta Petrol, which I bought at 50k kms and have done both 50k and 60k services at A.S.S, diligently changing engine oil. Is there still a possibility of sludge being present?

Also, great review Arvind! Thanks for the detailed report. Even I'm thinking of using Ceratec in my Fiesta on my next service (70k), just have a nagging doubt about sludge formation.
Old 16th July 2018, 14:19   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
What is a good barometer for knowing if the car has sludging issues?
I have an 8yr old Fiesta Petrol, which I bought at 50k kms and have done both 50k and 60k services at A.S.S, diligently changing engine oil. Is there still a possibility of sludge being present?
Best option is to look inside the oil cap hole. Or even better if it's possible to open the tappet cover and look. If the oil has been diligently changed by previous owner then you have little chances of sludge.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 14:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Best option is to look inside the oil cap hole. Or even better if it's possible to open the tappet cover and look. If the oil has been diligently changed by previous owner then you have little chances of sludge.
Thanks, will check. Also, would it be better to do an engine oil flush, for peace of mind?
I'm currently using Ford's Semi-synth oil, will be changing to Shell Helix Ultra. Are there any negatives to using an engine oil flush?
Old 16th July 2018, 15:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Just a heads up :

Ceratec is available now for ₹2053 on Amazon India. Effective price ₹1848 (after Amazon Pay Balance 10 percent cashback)
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks