Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 17:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members

Sorry to say, but I strongly feel that the jerk was a brutal one. It should have been a gentle tug. It is the pickup and braking which makes towing a tricky business. As rightly pointed out by BHPian Audioholic, do check the apron and front crossmember's measurements.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th October 2018 at 18:02.
Leoshashi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 18:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow. Extremely sorry to hear this man!! Glad that you had the Famous scorpio and the man when this happened.

That said, Lalu, I don't think the front tow hook for any car is designed for Jerky long distance tows. Read: You have to use a kinematic tow rope. Not the usual ones available here. The jerks while towing cause serious damage to the chassis and drivetrain.
Agreed Dhanush. But given the location you have to get out before dark, and we never expect this outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hmm, so this type of towing and the particular incident on video would potentially affect any car. It would be wrong to assume build quality of S-Cross is poor and Suzuki engineers are stupid .
Dr. Naren, that cross member cannot take the force, and for that reason it should not even be a designated as one. Had it not been there, we would have gone for the bottom one, hadn't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was watching the developments and felt bad seeing the damage, but looking at the video, that definitely was a brutal jerk from the tow rope. And later it looks like you braked and the Scorpio again tried to take off. Maybe using a rigid towbar or a shorter rope would have not caused so much damage. The front cross member tore right at the point where the crumple zones are which is quite weak. I hope the jerk and subsequent breakage has not affected the alignment of the apron. Please get the wheel alignment checked when they repair this.
You are right, in the video, there were cows coming across and hence the stop. And the second start after tow hook was changed to bottom, started like that. I will get the alignment checked anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Really sorry to read about and see your experience. Many of us here have held S-Cross in high regard amongst all other offerings from MSIL.

Going purely by the video, it is not immediately apparent what was the need for the Scorpio Driver to start the towing with such a massive jerk to the tow rope?

From the looks of it:
- it was neither a significant incline,
- nor a bad road surface
- the Scorpio, particularly the 2.6 CrDe variant has great low end torque, and S-Cross isn’t exactly very heavy.

That, to me, is simply bad technique that exacerbated & exposed a relatively weak construction, unless there was an obstacle that needed to be overcome.

Can you shed some light on this please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sorry to say, but I strongly feel that the jerk was a brutal one. It should have been a gentle tug. It is the pickup and braking which makes towing a tricky business. As rightly pointed out by BHPian Audioholic, do check the apron and front crossmember's measurements.
To me the tug came on the first engagement after start. Then it was always gently pulling along, after we changed to the tow hook at the bottom.

Last edited by manson : 25th October 2018 at 15:35. Reason: Deleted excess rows between each quote and reply.
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
To me the tug came on the first engagement after start. Then it was always gently pulling along, after we changed to the tow hook at the bottom.
I think that first brutal tug compromised the structural integrity.
However, if this repair work is still in progress, please take down the video else MSIL will be within their rights to deny you a warranty claim.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I think that first brutal tug compromised the structural integrity.
However, if this repair work is still in progress, please take down the video else MSIL will be within their rights to deny you a warranty claim.
Thanks roy.

I don't want to hide any facts. Its all here as it happened. Truth is what matters at any costs. We learn from experience, and truth and integrity I cannot compromise. Like some people here I can hide facts and try cheating and pushing for claims. If MSIL wants to help me, they can. Its their call. I will not force them. Though I would like them to extend a goodwill gesture in supporting me. I was the lone voice for SCross all these while anyways

This can happen to anyone, I am no different.

Last edited by manson : 25th October 2018 at 15:34.
laluks is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

Lalu, a few questions:

1) You drove all the way back to Bangalore? No overheating problems?
2) Are these broken/sheared members part of the chassis? Or are they bolted on?
3) Do you think structural integrity of chassis has been compromised? In case of accident, will crumple zones work as it is supposed to? Find out where the airbag sensors are and see if it has been damaged.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th October 2018 at 19:33.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

In the video right at the start, I can hear the words 'hold on, hold on' just as a cow appears headed towards the tow rope, and before those words have been uttered, the unmistakable sound of the handbrake being engaged.

Did the front member break off at this point or later when the caption appears? Was it by any chance due to the handbrake being engaged just as the Scorpio was still pulling at the tow rope?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Lalu, a few questions:

1) You drove all the way back to Bangalore? No overheating problems?
2) Are these broken/sheared members part of the chassis? Or are they bolted on?
3) Do you think structural integrity of chassis has been compromised? In case of accident, will crumple zones work as it is supposed to? Find out where the airbag sensors are and see it is has been damaged
1. We attended to the radiator leak locally before starting back. So all is well on that front. The engine temperature was in its optimal state. I need to replace radiator.

2. Broken one were all bolt on components.

3. Don't think so. But need to check the bend on member B. The airbag sensor near B was ok, will check that anyways. Thanks for the hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
In the video right at the start, I can hear the words 'hold on, hold on' just as a cow appears headed towards the tow rope, and before those words have been uttered, the unmistakable sound of the handbrake being engaged.

Did the front member break off at this point or later when the caption appears? Was it by any chance due to the handbrake being engaged just as the Scorpio was still pulling at the tow rope?
Hold on was said after the member broke off. So we stopped and got out to check

Last edited by manson : 25th October 2018 at 15:35.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Re: S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I am shocked at the failure in your case, despite you guys using all the correct techniques.
Shashi, I'm quoting the last picture of the Ritz in the Swift NCAP thread. Some people were skeptical of the crash-member pics posted earlier, this is corroborating evidence.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Shashi, I'm quoting the last picture of the Ritz in the Swift NCAP thread. Some people were skeptical of the crash-member pics posted earlier, this is corroborating evidence.
Please be my guest.

Posting few more pics of some other Maruti's. Hope you find them interesting.

Ritz member, another view:

S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-20181023_143105.jpg

SX4s solid member

S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-20181023_143100.jpg

Kizashi's absorbing structure

S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img20181024wa0048.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 20:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding it for WagonR as well as I happen to have the picture. Seems better than the one on Ritz.

S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_0353.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of the cases where 'enthusiasts' fitted winches to the existing bumpers of Jeeps. When actually used, results were similar.

A weak section in the towhook, which breaks before other parts (same principal as a shear pin) would have prevented the damage. BUT it would also have been extremely dangerous. Probably broken the rear glass of the Scorpio, and maybe injuring someone.
Needs some thought.

Sorry to say, from such experienced people (both of you), bad towing technique. (Am assuming it is a normal steel cable). Does not excuse the level of damage though.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Really shocked at the fragile arrangement for the tow hook. Inspite of the aggressive tug the member should have held. Its not always that you can come out of a tricky stick situation with a gentle tug. In fact during offloading if your vehicle gets stuck in mud the only way to free it up is by giving it a solid tug.

Agreed that SCross is not a hardcore offroader but even going by tug rope sizing specifications, it is usually recommended to have a tug rope with a load bearing capacity of 2.5 times the GVW of the car you are trying to pull out. I don't think the Scorpio would have exerted that kind of force. The members have to be much stronger they are supposed to take this abuse.

Just my 2 cents.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:40   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Just my humble opinion, but I think that the towing point of a consumer vehicle should be able to take the stresses it might reasonably be expected to take. That includes jerks that might make a pro wince. The guy behind the wheel is likely to be the owner, not a pro.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:43   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like due to cattle on the road S Cross slowed down and the Scorpio continued. This should by no means rip the cross member off. The tow hook somehow Seems to be fitted (as provided)on the part designed to absorb and deform during a crash, I could be wrong.
Let's hear from Maruti.

I have seen something similar in the past, here is a video. Jeep compass there.

Kosfactor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:44   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm really sorry for all the pain that you have gone through. The damage indeed is confidence shaking. More so when we have a less than 2 month old S-Cross with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Here you go.
Like many people here, I too feel that the jerk from the Scorpio was much more than required and maybe that was the reason the member sheared off. But I too agree that a member shouldn't get sheared off so easily. I could make out a couple of things other than the jerk was, firstly that the car seems to be on an incline. And secondly, the car wasn't moving freely initially. If I remember, something similar had happened to a Jeep Compass somewhere in snow clad mountainous roads where the tow hook along with member and bumper had just sheared off . I hope this problem gets rectified and we all come to know the exact reason for its failure.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th October 2018 at 21:46.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks