Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 19:29   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members

Regarding the difference in front member of old and new S-Cross, the design is different due to different bumpers. I checked with a friend who got his old S-Cross "face-lifted" recently. He had to change the front member too.

Front member of New S-Cross ( Old is getting face lifted here). Notice the old part lying on floor

S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_20181025_192344.jpg
Front member of Old S-Cross
S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_20181025_192517.jpg

I still don't understand why the old part costs 2.5 times more. Not sure if it's stronger, may be weighing both could help in concluding.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th October 2018 at 19:41.
Dr.Naren is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It was a 5 ton tow rope/strap which was used. Not a steel cable.
Normally webbing has a bit of 'give' in it. Guess it was not sufficient.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:34   #78
BHPian

This is really shocking. I always thought manufacturers think of these possibilities and engineer accordingly. Sorry to hear this.

I think S-Cross is also available in Europe under a different name and if I remember right it also has 4*4 capabilities.
It would be interesting to know if the construction is similar in the case of the European version of the S-Cross. Would the European model also face the same issue if towed in a similar manner? Or is this specific to India models?
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 20:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

A tow rope will jerk like that. I don't see anything wrong in the technique in the video. One improvement would be to avoid using hand brake absolutely. Also when stopping, use the inertia to stop without keeping the tow cable taut. Here the weight of the S-cross is on the Scorpio while cattle are crossing. The cable should be on the ground instead.
Tow hooks are designed for the car to be towed or to tow another vehicle. Of course it may not be rated for a trailer (which is what is given in the owner's manual). If it was just for shipping, it would be removed at dealer level before delivery.
Even a flatbed truck uses a winch to tow the vehicle onto the flat bed. If the tow hook cross member is so weak, are you expected to use a forklift??
wildsdi5530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:09   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
If it was just for shipping, it would be removed at dealer level before delivery.
Shipping hooks that we discuss here is all about the frame hooks on the front & rear, not the front tow hooks.

In fact, Front tow hooks should not be used for hooking while shipment. They are designed to take load only on longitudinal direction, otherwise they fail (more easily than this case)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:31   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

You will immediately go for that small opening in the front bumper, attach the tow hook provided and be ready to be towed out.

This is what happens if you do that
Attachment 1810875

The whole member tears apart with the bumper like paper
The front grille gives an aggressive and macho look to the S-Cross. But a few centimetres below this "MACHO" grille, lies a very weak tow hook and front members.

Its like having an area sanitised with tight security and goons having been let loose just in the vicinity.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 00:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a bad design. Such a part can't shear off while towing. I'd call what I saw in the video a normal procedure.

Just picture this- You're stuck in a remote location and have only 1 option to get out of it. If using that option gets you into more trouble, you'd be terribly pissed.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 00:20   #83
BHPian

Hi All:

I bought an S-Cross Alpha on 28-Aug-2014 which met with an accident on 20-May-2017 (50k kms) with all my family members inside the car.

The car hit the left embankment on the road, while trying to bring it back in the road, it climbed the right embankment, turned turtle slowly and then slid down to a halt on its back.

The airbags opened up but they were very small. Did not even touch the driver or the passenger. They also deflated immediately. The charge caused burn injuries to driver's wrist, co-passenger suffered hairline spinal fracture.

The car was declared total loss.

I am thankful that all of us survived (for whatever reason).

The quality of this car... I am not too sure about it despite surviving.

Last edited by @viral : 26th October 2018 at 00:22. Reason: Grammar
@viral is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 00:48   #84
BANNED

Sharing an image of how the frame area is in the Hyundai Creta. Had taken the image while installing the LED DRL's in my car.

Point where the Tow Hook bolts onto the frame
S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_20180624_1553101600x900__01.jpg

The area showing how the member is bolted to the chassis
S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_20180624_1419261600x900__01.jpg

What is to be done as per the manual during Emergency Towing
S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-psx_20181026_003705.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 02:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If, by chance you ended up there, you should ‘winch’ the car slowly up. And if you have no winch you should be using a kinematic tow rope.
I read about it and it sure is a better & safer way (or means) to recover, tow a vehicle.

To be honest, I did not even know such a thing existed (Kinetic recovery) and most of us who drive regular cars won't ever think or feel the need to carry such a recovery tool. It is rare to be in a situation like this. You use what is available as that is your only option.

If the hooks on a car are meant for the purpose of securing a vehicle during transit, what anchor point are you supposed to use if the vehicle must be towed for extended period, or, are we saying you cannot use the anchor points at all? Loading on a flat bed is the only way?
Old 26th October 2018, 06:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If the hooks on a car are meant for the purpose of securing a vehicle during transit, what anchor point are you supposed to use if the vehicle must be towed
Not all hooks are meant for transit securing, especially the one on the Front, detachable tow hook is for towing the vehicle and not to be used for any other purpose Almost all manufacturers do not recommend towing for a longer distance / period (except if the vehicle is designed for it and mentioned in the owner's manual) And it carries a lot of conditions like Flat roads, tow ropes / chain with designated spec and length, speed, load, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Loading on a flat bed is the only way?
That's the safest means I would say.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 06:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sharing an image of how the frame area is in the Hyundai Creta. Had taken the image while installing the LED DRL's in my car.
Thanks anurag. That indeed looks better constructed in comparison to the S Cross. Especially the place to bolt on the tow hook seems quite strong and not sheet metal like SCross. Thanks for sharing.

Manual also is very clear and not vague/dicey like Maruti. Hyundai seems to have though it through .

From what i could figure, if you need a rugged car take Duster, feature rich car take Creta.

Last edited by laluks : 26th October 2018 at 06:51.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 08:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
When my Chevy Beat was towed, it was attached to a Maruti 800 from the garage through a thick, heavy iron chain. Throughout the towing distance of approx 3 KM, we went through heavy evening traffic of Gurgaon, through 3 large speed breakers and 2 traffic signals with constant jerks. Nothing happened.

And I am a complete novice when it comes to proper towing technique.

P.S. Beat was connected to the towing point at the front and MS 800 was attached to the rear beam.
Thanks Navigator for sharing my thoughts exactly.
I had a very similar experience when my dzire clutch failed about 2 years back. I too used towing hooks and chain to tow my car. (OT, Maruti had supplied a towing hook that did not fit the threads in the chassis member. I had to ask for a towing hook from the mechanic). My cousin helped me out with his Ford Figo diesel. We had never done this but wanted to reach the mechanic asap.
We drove down the famed Old Jaipur road from udyog vihar to sector 3, I think. We had to stop several times (Me braking) due to the Gurgaon drivers who wanted to get between the 2 cars despite
1) there being not enough distance between the 2 (we had left only about 6 ft distance between the cars)
2) blinkers on both cars switched on
3) ceaseless honking from both our cars
I had to apply brakes with my car many times due to these idiots, while my cousin was trying to accelerate. Multiple jerks, with the chain having no give, made us stop and check both vehicles for damage several times.
Although it was only 4-5 kms of towing, we were both sweating by the time we reached the mechanic. I saw my Cousin's Figo realign and skid a little from the back multiple times to align to my car. We both vowed to go for a flat bed next time we were stranded.
We asked the mechanic to check for damage on both cars as we were sure that something would have bent, given the loud noise the chain and the cars made. Thankfully no damage to either car and the dzire has served me for 2 more years since then.
Seeing the chain snap incidence, I am glad we kept a small distance between the cars and not longer.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 09:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

Update
I have shown the car to my trusted MASS, Suraksha Bommanahalli, since I know the workshop manager there since a decade. I have asked him to place the order for the required components. I would take the car back to them once the components arrive for the work.

As of now Kungfu Panda is back home.
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 10:49   #90
BHPian

laluks

Sorry to read about this.
Its enough to be a trouble outside of home, and then in that situation to realize that the car we purchased has a flaw, isn't pleasant at all.
Has MSIL reached out to help ?

Folks who are defending Maruti saying there was a jerk by the Scorpio, cable not correct, not a pro driver, etc. - please realize that the situation at hand is desperate, and then we search for proper cable, driver, winch etc.
Really?
Just because we want to defend our choice of car that's made structural compromises to save money or weight or both perhaps.

I always thought the S-Cross & Ritz are probably the best built Marutis, I think they probably are despite this. And this incident is simply a compromised decision taken for India made cars. Probably worth comparing with S-Cross export models if that has better structures here.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks