Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 13:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Point 10, Point 11 proved wrong...snip...
So for me point 10, and point 11 has been proven wrong on the run. So its like owning any other manufacturer car.
If we look at it another way, are the spares not available all over the country because it is a Scross. Perhaps they would be able to fix an Alto/ WagonR/ Celerio, but their service stations or staff may not have received any training for the Scross?

Quote:
On the road to Niti Valley we have very bad segments, ditches, river crossings kind of. While we were returning back, we were noticing engine heating. Radiator leak, and decided to tow it as per the advise generally to the next town 5 to 10 kms away
As a non enthusiast/ non expert Scross owner, I have a basic question. In such cases where you are sure that the car needs to be towed, would it be safe enough to drive a few hundred metres more to get to a place which is more suitable for towing. In your video, it is not clearly visible if the incline was continuing for much longer. But if there was a clearing or short space a little ahead that did not have any incline, could it help to reach that area and then work on the towing bit? This would avoid situations for people like us who are not used to towing or getting towed.

I am of course aware this may not be feasible in cases of complete breakdown. Maybe like the DIY thread for fixing punctures, there should be a thread on how to tow. If there is one, I would appreciate if somebody could add the link here for those of us who need to learn.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 13:44   #62
BHPian

Re: S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'll leave that to you to figure out. That towing thing that you posted is a shocker, that cannot happen no matter its Nano or Volvo, absolute shame on MSIL for making such poor unreliable engineering!!

Just FYI...it's up for sale for an offer that I cannot resist
Talking about Nano. I own a 2012 nano. I was able to tow-start a Tata Ace by anchoring the Ace to the tow hook on the Nano. Of course after much wheel spin due to Nano's light weight

NOTE: Nano does not have tow hook as such. Chassis has a nut welded to it and hook is a detachable rod, with hook at one end and thread (screw) at the other. When you need to be towed or tow another vehicle, one needs the screw in the rod into the nut that's welded to the chassis.
T-Bone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 13:59   #63
BHPian

Re: S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

NOTE: Nano does not have tow hook as such. Chassis has a nut welded to it and hook is a detachable rod, with hook at one end and thread (screw) at the other. When you need to be towed or tow another vehicle, one needs the screw in the rod into the nut that's welded to the chassis.
That's the way it is in my Chevy Beat as well. The hook that need to be screwed to the chassis is a part of toolkit.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 14:15   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
NOTE: Nano does not have tow hook as such. Chassis has a nut welded to it and hook is a detachable rod, with hook at one end and thread (screw) at the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
That's the way it is in my Chevy Beat as well. The hook that need to be screwed to the chassis is a part of toolkit.
T-Bone speaks about the Rear tow hook in nano
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 14:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
BHPian Sree73 had posted about the towing experience of his S-Cross.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...xperience.html (Maruti S-Cross breakdown: Coolant leakage, miserable towing experience)

Luckily he has not faced anything like the car here. It was pre facelift model. The construction and design looks similar though the part numbers of Front crash bar are different.

You are right in your observation. Part numbers are different, and also cost is almost more than double for this component in old Scross. Was it stronger? It looks similar though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If we look at it another way, are the spares not available all over the country because it is a Scross. Perhaps they would be able to fix an Alto/ WagonR/ Celerio, but their service stations or staff may not have received any training for the Scross?

I am of course aware this may not be feasible in cases of complete breakdown. Maybe like the DIY thread for fixing punctures, there should be a thread on how to tow. If there is one, I would appreciate if somebody could add the link here for those of us who need to learn.

I guess more common vehicle like alto, etc, they would be able to repair. Spare pool, I have no idea.

The towing was started from a level ground initially. The video shows the breaking away and further towing from there.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 14:39   #66
BHPian

In manual, there is a procedure for towing which I guess is to be used with a towing vehicle. There is no procedure on trailer type towing in manual.
Attached Thumbnails
S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members-img_20181025_143511.jpg  

findviru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 14:50   #67
BHPian

I always thought that the build quality of the S-Cross was better than the other Marutis in their stable. This incident has only proved that all of us were wrong in assuming this. Shocking to say the least.

Off topic: If Maruti is listening, I am cancelling my Swift ZDI AMT booking today.

Last edited by manson : 25th October 2018 at 15:28.
speedmunster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 15:24   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
I always thought that the build quality of the S-Cross was better than the other Marutis in their stable. This incident has only proved that all of us were wrong in assuming this. Shocking to say the least.

Off topic: If Maruti is listening... I am cancelling my Swift ZDI AMT booking today.
You should have done the same proactively when the crash test results were out. Anyways you deserve my respect for being a role model by taking a wise decision . Life is not always about 'higher fuel efficiency, lower service costs and service centers at every 5 km distance'.
pavi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 15:47   #69
BHPian

Shocking to see such an incident. When this happened despite you being careful, I only wonder what will happen when it is roughly towed away by the traffic cops.

From your images it very clear that the anchor point of the tow hook is NOT on point 'A' as indicated in your images. It has been anchored to a cross member which is designed to be an impact absorbing zone. This is a design failure.

If I am wrong and the tow hook has indeed been anchored to point 'A' then the quality of material comes in to question. This is even more alarming.

Do keep us updated on the response from the service center.
BeantownThinker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 16:12   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Posting some extracts from S Cross owner's manua.
So those eyelets are only for transportation/shipping. Seriously, Maruti? It just reiterates my view these soft roaders are actually just sedans with bigger wheels and higher GC.

Strange, but my equally Japanese "commuter appliance" i.e the Toyota Corolla Altis doesn't use this type of fine print for the use of the front or rear towing eyelets. They are meant to take a tow chain or cable in an emergency but for a "short distances" (unspecified) only.

Quote:
Exactly the point.The fact that the lower gauge materials were used is the point of discussion. It was not used like a SUV, it was taken through the sections like I care for my Civic. But then if something has to happen, it has to. Blame it on Murphy!
I think the Civic would have taken that hard tug without the front member tearing off like tissue. MSIL screwed up nicely and need to look at better quality metal to build high stress point chassis components in their cars. Hope someone from that Company is reading this thread.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 16:16   #71
BHPian

Something similar happened in the past when the new Fortuner's tow hook came out while pulling but the whole CHASSIS MEMBER? My god!!! Are cars made wafer thin nowadays? Can't they even sustain a pull from the ditch? Is this some sort of a joke from Maruti? Why did they provide the hook when the car was this fragile? This shows poor R&D of its own product from the company.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 16:24   #72
BHPian

Looks like a case of plain engineering failure here- come on, towing structure shouldn't break this easily and that too on regular roads.

I've been stuck once (in deep mud- uphill route) in my Duster AWD in a proper jeep territory in Wayanad, Kerala. The vehicle came out unhurt after repeated tugging attempts from the rescue jeep with whiplash inducing brute forces.

Completely with you on the ownership part and dare say that my experience of owning a Maruti is thoroughly inferior to my experience with Renault's. My new swift's brake discs and brake pads failed in less than 2000 km (Had to wait more than a week for the brake pad and discs to arrive), both the headlamps and tail lamps fog up under rain (they are delaying or denying warranty claim saying it's normal and known) , the car rattles and squeaks like it's run 2 lac km (you can't find a solution for this in a Maruti) and the car just feels cheap, hollow and poorly put together in every possible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Off topic: If Maruti is listening... I am cancelling my Swift ZDI AMT booking today.
Put your hard earned money on something better than than these 2 star tin cans from the east providing supposedly fuss free ownership experience. I'm a thoroughly disappointed and frustrated owner of Swift ZXI AMT.
xjosephjacob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 16:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

This is scary & simply unacceptable, for all existing Scross owners. In both scenarios, when my Scross had to be towed, I insisted on sending a Flat Bed Truck, at any cost or do not send any help. I simply do not like the way a vehicle is dragged by a normal towing truck.

But yes, parts should not break or come off, by towing. It's a big loop hole n SCross design and Maruti must acknowledge this and fix it for all customers, if it can really be fixed.

Compared to Scross, my humble 3.5 lakhs INR Tata Vista had to be towed only once in 70K kms and it survived the towing journey pretty well. I hope Maruti reads Team-bhp posts. This is serious stuff and nothing premium about this.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 17:01   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right in your observation. Part numbers are different, and also cost is almost more than double for this component in old Scross. Was it stronger? It looks similar though.
Yes. I too couldn't observe any significant differences visually. Member, front bumper which came off in your car costs only Rs. 1345 Vs Rs. 3525 in old S-Cross. Both are MGP parts too. Can't understand significantly lesser price for this part in new S-Cross.

Part numbers for Member assembly, Apron are also different in Old and New S-Cross.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th October 2018 at 17:14.
Dr.Naren is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 19:08   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Posting some extracts from S Cross owner's manual

Attachment 1811312

Attachment 1811313

Well, you may use it at emergency situation, but not a Hatchback to tow a SUV (for an example) Even the rear tow hook is designed for shipment purpose only, the one on a heavier vehicle should be designed to tackle the vehicle mass during transportation. So the factor of safety to tow a smaller vehicle will be higher.

The one doing same job everyday may not be a professional, IMO.
This is an eye opener!

Am I reasonable to assume that Towing eyelet provided by some vehicles are not to be used for towing and rather use a sling type towing during emergencies?

If this is the case why provide a towing eyelet? I do not agree that Towing eyelet is for shipping, there are separate eyelets near the engine sump guard for strapping the vehicle down during transportation.

I would suggest others too to check their owner`s manual, if this is a industry wide practice to provide a useless towing eyelet. I happen to check a few.

Nano GenX- Seems okay to tow.
Ciaz - Do not Tow.
New Honda Amaze - Seems okay to tow.
Duster - Okay to Tow.
Brezza - Do not Tow.
XUV - Okay to Tow.
Polo siblings - Okay to Tow.
New Verna - Okay to Tow.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks