Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 22:40   #76
BHPian

Any idea on how does one drive an automatic drive through water? No clutch to play with and in traffic it's difficult to use the brake and acceleration simultaneously.
Old 25th June 2007, 22:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
If you have/get a lot of oil and grime on your wind screen, add a cap ful of vodka to your wind shield water tank. I read this somewhere , am not sure about this. Anyone care to clear it ? Or should I try it out ?

Wow what a waste of precious Russian spirit
Old 25th June 2007, 22:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

The wiper on the LHS of my Baleno failed on a really rainy day, near Sinhagad fort.. of all places(Ghat like and narrow road). Very irritating.. I prayed that the other one doesnt fail till I reach home !!

It turned out to be just a case of a loose nut used to fasten the wiper. So better carry a spanner along.. or a full toolkit.
Old 25th June 2007, 22:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep your windscreen clean --- always. Rain or not.

ABS does not dry your brakes for you. You must, as many have said, apply your breaks gently while the car is moving, to do that. No need to pump, just gentle breaking for a little longer than it takes to feel them start to bite.

As a newcomer to this forum, I don't know if there is a thread about the things that ABS does not do. Might be a good idea!

Ontopic to this thread... it does not stop you aquaplaning, or do much for you while you are aquaplaning. Breaks of any kind can't do much when the wheels are not touching the road.

I wrote some other stuff about hazard lights --- but you know how it is when, after ten minutes of typing you accidentally hit CTRL-something and it all disappears? Maybe it's a sort of self-editing function!
Old 26th June 2007, 00:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
The wiper on the LHS of my Baleno failed on a really rainy day, near Sinhagad fort.. of all places(Ghat like and narrow road). Very irritating.. I prayed that the other one doesnt fail till I reach home !!
That road is absolutely terrible! Or was so when I drove on it last time around! Especially when you're driving a very potent car like I was!!
Old 26th June 2007, 16:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That road is absolutely terrible! Or was so when I drove on it last time around! Especially when you're driving a very potent car like I was!!
I found another approach road that goes via NH4 (after Katraj bypass).. u cant locate the turn-off from NH4 for this route unless u have GPS .. its pretty good with the only traffic being the lone PMTC bus or the ocassional bullock cart.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:01   #82
BHPian

Buy a boat. A speedboat if you wanna go faster.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:11   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpanicker View Post
Any idea on how does one drive an automatic drive through water? No clutch to play with and in traffic it's difficult to use the brake and acceleration simultaneously.
Good question. I can only lay a guess:
- Drive with the gear selector in 1, not D.
- Once you get the momentum, shift to N, coast while keeping the revs up, then shift back to 1 when it gets to slow and repeat.

Where's dippy? He should be able to give you some advice! I've not driven an auto more than a few km's so I'm not the best to comment.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Good question. I can only lay a guess:
- Drive with the gear selector in 1, not D.
- Once you get the momentum, shift to N, coast while keeping the revs up, then shift back to 1 when it gets to slow and repeat.
I guess one would have to use the brakes to control your speed, and drive in 1?
Old 26th June 2007, 18:35   #85
BHPian

night drive during rain!

This is a tip for those with cars having Head Lamp Levelling device.

What I do is lower the HL to the max extent and use high beam! Mine have 100/90W bulbs.. so the high watted light beam gives best possible visibility!!!.... and this won't disturb opp drivers too!!

Apart from this.... new viper blades every season(try 'bosch'), good quality windscreen washer solution (try 'sonax'), frequent checks of tyre pressures!!
cheers!
Old 26th June 2007, 19:57   #86
BHPian

I filled a table spoon of Surf into the windshield washer dabba, worked MUCH better than those windshield washer fluids that you get in the market. Am just back from a 400 km journey in 1 day (rain, mud, shine ..) and boy am i glad that I did that.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:39   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I filled a table spoon of Surf into the windshield washer dabba, worked MUCH better than those windshield washer fluids that you get in the market. Am just back from a 400 km journey in 1 day (rain, mud, shine ..) and boy am i glad that I did that.
Hope that won't solidify (especially if the water is hard) and block the jets!
Old 27th June 2007, 13:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Hope that won't solidify (especially if the water is hard) and block the jets!
It might actually.
Would suggest you add some handwash liquid (Lifebuoy, Dettol, Fa etc) to your wiper-washer water container.
I've done that... works like a charm & no fear of white crud blocking the jets.
Old 27th June 2007, 17:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

And will keep the windscreen & rearscreen also smelling good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
It might actually.
Would suggest you add some handwash liquid (Lifebuoy, Dettol, Fa etc) to your wiper-washer water container.
I've done that... works like a charm & no fear of white crud blocking the jets.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I have observed while driving in the rains in Mumbai.

Always keep to the center lane. The right lane will have LARGE puddles of water which has not drained of. And they have a habit of springing up when you least expect it - like when you just come out of a curve.

Also reduce your speeds and always have your headlamps on, even when it gets grey and dark.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks