Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 10:17   #61
BANNED

Re: Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue

This is crazy! I don’t understand how Tata marks these cars at QC passed. No way these issues would have not existed during the tests.

I also find it hard to believe that the showroom guys were not aware of these issues earlier. They would have driven the car from stockyard and issues would have popped up.

A question to everyone. Is it allowed to check electronics of car during PDI or is it just the physical attributes that can be checked? Sorry, I am not aware of this.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:18   #62
BHPian

Rather unfortunate that this happens on a car that is in a considerably expensive price bracket. Maybe they should have stuck to the Gravitas name rather than messing up such a legendary product line. Sure Old Safaris had their own problems but at the same time, they were sturdy vehicles.

This might be an extreme solution to the problem but I feel there should be a timeframe and mileage limit post-delivery that makes the customer entitled to an entirely new vehicle should such a fiasco happen. Even if the car is fixed by Tata, I would really question the long-term reliability of the vehicle even if it is from a seasoned company like Tata. Such incidents also provoke me to think about anti-lemon laws in India (or rather a lack of them).

I hope the owner gets a permanent fix over a 'quick' one.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 10:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Glad you got an Ignis. Ignis is definitely a lot superior to the Tiago in almost every aspect, feels money well spent and is a lot more car for your money. Tiago doesn't have anything else in its favour apart from a 4-star safety rating. The price tag isn't justifiable anymore either. Ignis isn't a bad car per say in this regard either. A respectable 3-star rating in the Global NCAP is decent for the segment.
I agree wholeheartedly. When we bought the Tiago in 2017, it costed 6.06 lakhs OTR Kochi. Now the top end automatic costs 8.12 lakhs OTR

It does get more features like a touchscreen infotainment system, ACC and a kinda-sorta digital driver's display, but I still think it's not VFM anymore.

I think the reason for the higher prices is that back then, no one wanted a Tata, most people didn't care about safety and they advised everyone against buying a Tata, but now the keyboard warriors and fan-boys have made it seem like Tata is the greatest manufacturer in India

At the end of the day, I still love my car, and it's been super reliable (touch wood) but cases like this doesn't really help TaMo. They were becoming a somewhat established brand, but these constant niggles are a worry.

Hope the OP gets their issue sorted out ASAP

Cheers
Gamerk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 11:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

These are issues that I've reported 2 years ago in the Harrier thread. If TaMo cannot resolve this 2 years later on a sister product then it really shows how much they care for customers response.
Nithesh_M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
The service personnel resorted to a jump start by hooking the car up with a Harrier, in the showroom
What a shame! If I were you, I would have asked replacement or money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post

Glad you got an Ignis. Ignis is definitely a lot superior to the Tiago in almost every aspect,
I beg to differ. I have driven both. Keeping aside reliability issues of TAMO, Tiago is a superior product compared to Ignis. Wafer thin insulation of Ignis, you hear all the traffic noise even if all windows are rolled up and A/C is running.
IP_Man is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:17   #66
BHPian

I always felt it's a gamble you are getting into when buying a Tata car. Some of them are extremely reliable (not Jap like perfection though) and others are lemons.

Have a Tata Zest at home and currently it's my daily drive. Thar car has done 77 k kms plus and still works well. However, I am not confident to take her for an expedition. Whereas I will take my other cars (Figo,Scorpio, 18 plus year old Zen or the 11 year old Innova) to Leh without batting an eye.
Silver Knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:47   #67
BHPian

Sad to see Tata messing things up when they should instead be going out of their way to get things right. I've said on some other threads as well: The only Tata car worth buying today is the Nexon. The Harrier/Safari look shoddily put together and don't inspire any confidence in their durability.

Tata Motors is way too bureaucratic and rooted in the old ways to embrace modern quality and customer satisfaction standards. When I bought the Hexa most asked me why??? It runs like a dream, but I know it can turn to misery at anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
However, I am not confident to take her for an expedition.
Agree 100%. I have a Hexa and I don't mind driving it all over the southern half of the country. Ask me to drive it up to Ladakh/Bhutan and I am not sure if I have the confidence in it not failing on me. A simple thing as sourcing a spare tire is impossible without days of waiting in a city like Pune. Can't imagine what I would do if I need a tyre in say Ladakh
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:50   #68
AZT
BHPian

I'm gonna post something I mentioned above just to highlight that this isn't a Tata problem but more a Harrier problem. Either the company is unable to make premium cars or to keep pricing competitive they cut corners, and this is what we get.

The Tiago and Nexon may not be VFM anymore but the buyers are a satisfied bunch.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:04   #69
BHPian

I urge to all.

If you are purchasing car from TAMO, during pre delivery inspection, take actual test drive of allocated car and verify everything is working fine.

If you find any major problem then don't take delivery. Also don't give full payment before pre delivery inspection.

I know some dealer of TAMO may not agree test drive. They may not allow you to drive their brand new car, in that case, showroom's authorised driver can drive the car, you sit beside and verify everything is OK.
IP_Man is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:23   #70
BHPian

One thing that I feel is required is that there should be some change in the handover procedure and registration timelines of a car. The current procedure of registering in the owners name before handover really leaves the owner at the mercy of the product's quality or even in the case of minor issues like if some wrong specification is delivered.(I was once delivered a BS3 car by Advaith Hyundai although all the brochures said all the cars being delivered were BS4. I accidentally found this out. Other than accepting their mistake they made it clear , no action will be taken despite a lot of arguments.) I don't suggest here what the procedure should be but a better one where there is little more protection given to the customer is required.

A car is a complex product and there could be many things that could be missed during a PDI. How is it fair that the product is registered in your name and if there is an issue even on the first day then all that you can say to yourself is "bad luck!". No one takes the responsibility and it is now your problem. Why should it be this owner's responsibility to run around and sort these issues?
And let us be honest, no one wants to go to a court in this country.
Memnon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:21   #71
BHPian

I had the same concern with my Nexon AMT. However after 2 years and innumerable escapades with my pet to places in Maharashtra, especially to dams, alot of which have zero motorable roads, I'm quietly confident that my 'Sally' can traverse rough roads and non existent paths. N this during the dry and wet monsoon seasons.

Nothing compared to what one faces in Leh however I've had my fair share of drives to such inaccessible places and she's never let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
I always felt it's a gamble you are getting into when buying a Tata car. Some of them are extremely reliable (not Jap like perfection though) and others are lemons.

Have a Tata Zest at home and currently it's my daily drive. Thar car has done 77 k kms plus and still works well. However, I am not confident to take her for an expedition. Whereas I will take my other cars (Figo,Scorpio, 18 plus year old Zen or the 11 year old Innova) to Leh without batting an eye.
Old 28th May 2021, 14:21   #72
BHPian

Quality control is a big problem with Tata Motors and it has been a discussed million times in this forum and now in this thread. I think the problem is not just these companies but the law of the land itself. Now a days, the government is implementing several laws related to auto industry like the new BS6 and CAFE norms, speed sensing warning buzzer, speed limits on the road etc. but we are yet to have a law that deals with this kind of problems where a customer is delivered a lemon and not taken care of or being cheated in broad daylight by aftersales or parts overcharging etc. I think it's time the government do something about it.

When a customer faces niggles with Tata cars, he thinks moving to another brand would solve the problem. When a customer is being cheated by Skoda/VW, he's advised that he should have gone for an Indian brand in the first place. Problem is mostof the brands in our country have some problem or the other. Maruti makes paper thin body that gets dented by fingernails, Hyundai has steering and brake issues, Honda has limited offering and some are overpriced. Same goes for Toyota and not all can afford 28lakh Innova. Skoda/VW have earned the reputation of being unreliable and expensive to maintain, Nissan and Renault are not much different. Ford is not sure whether to stay in India or not. So which car will you buy. Also, what if I'm not an enthusiast or a bhpian and I know nothing about cars, have no prior car buying experience. Can I be sold a lemon and then not be taken care of. Remember a person buying a new car is not like he's buying a Rs.500 jeans that he has to check all the stitches, buttons and zippers before buying. It's time we stop blaming the customer for his choice or his lack of PDI knowledge and ask the authorities to do something about it. Only this way we can buy cars peacefully and won't have to regret later.

Last edited by Carpainter : 28th May 2021 at 14:42. Reason: Additional writing
Carpainter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
The current procedure of registering in the owners name before handover really leaves the owner at the mercy of the product's quality or even in the case of minor issues ........
In Delhi, at the time of delivery you have to sign all the statutory forms and then dealer punches in the data on the RTO portal and we receive a OTP from RTO with details of vehicle to be registered in our name and then we share the OTP with dealer, he punches it in the system and then the registration is complete and we get a confirmation message on our cell with the alloted car registration number. Therefore we can refuse registration of the alloted vehicle till the very last second. However I am of the view that we should not blame the buyer that he didn't do proper PDI etc., it's kind of victim shaming like why did you went out at night etc. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to do proper QC and dealer to do proper PDI and customer should be confident enough to simply go and buy the product. I purchased Honda City in 2010, simply paid for it and took delivery on the alloted date, did no PDI/ inspection etc. 11 years later still drives as new and I am confident enough to take it on a 1000km journey.
SolidusSnake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 15:53   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
One thing that I feel is required is that there should be some change in the handover procedure and registration timelines of a car. The current procedure of registering in the owners name before handover really leaves the owner at the mercy of the product's quality or even in the case of minor issues like if some wrong specification is delivered.(I was once delivered a BS3 car by Advaith Hyundai although all the brochures said all the cars being delivered were BS4. I accidentally found this out. Other than accepting their mistake they made it clear , no action will be taken despite a lot of arguments.) I don't suggest here what the procedure should be but a better one where there is little more protection given to the customer is required.

Your experience seems to be a case fit for the registration of a criminal case under section 415 of the IPC. Just a legal notice from your lawyer to this effect to the dealer and Hyundai would have brought them to their senses really quickly (no one wants a criminal cheating/fraud case hanging on their head). I am curious as to why you did not pursue this course of action and just let the dealer/Hyundai off the hook?

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 28th May 2021 at 15:54.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:36   #75
BHPian

Its sad when you put in your hard earned money and face issues with the purchase from day one itself.
Best option would be to tweet the above matter and tag Mr Ratan Tata and Tata motors company.When its on the world platform the Top Management always intervenes and gets the issue sorted out as its a matter of their reputation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks