Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 17:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue

I am new to this thread and awaiting delivery of the car. Quick question-Did the owner received the solution to the issue. I am now totally worried about getting delivery of this car and spending 20+ lakhs on this car which is having issues right from the delivery. Surprisingly, when I search Youtube for issues with Safari, couldn't find any videos there as I guess the company is getting them removed as I see video one day and it is removed on the other.
Abhi1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 17:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have this mental barrier of suggesting Tata car to anyone. There is no guarantee how the car will turn out: incredibly reliable or lemon. Our Fiat Linea too had some niggles (then sold and serviced at Tata Motors' showroom/service center), the car refused to start on the second day of ownership and started showing some weird errors on the screen, only to find that the battery connection had come loose. The music system too had some loose connection which was fixed at first service. Gear box never felt smooth from day one, their reply was always "it is working as expected", got it repaired after 8 years at a FNG! Apart from that, it was a fun experience of owning her. Same might be the case for Safari.

I always feel that Tata cars should be bought after they get a bit old. Personally, If I really wanted to buy a Safari right after its launch, I would buy the base or one above base version (XM?) and only the manual variant and incrementally add accessories under my supervision. That way, I would know what wiring has been added, plus less features means less tech to worry about!
Old 28th May 2021, 18:02   #78
BHPian

Once when I went to collect my bike after it was serviced, the bike would just not start. I felt so much anger at the service station guys who had just telephoned me saying 'bike is ready'. I can imagine how worse it is if a car that's worth millions of rupees ends up with technical issues on the delivery day. I hope the owner here gets the car back in a reliable condition.

These kind of incidents also make me think of the posts here on Team BHP that play down a car's potential saying 'it's a 10 year old Platform'. Polo, Ecosport to think of a few. I'd be happy to spend my money on a known and proven model regardless of how old the 'platform' is rather than take a chance with an unknown modern car.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:32   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post

I was seriously thinking about buying Tata Tiago but then after a lot of research and moving back and forth between Tiago, Ignis and Spresso (heheh!) I got the Ignis because I didn't want to deal with such a headache if ever it arises so soon into the ownership period.
I am happy you are keeping your options open. Though there is no excuse for lax QC, as a exisiting tiago owner , I feel it is as niggle free as a Suzuki or Toyota.
Old 28th May 2021, 18:46   #80
BHPian

6 Star rating to Tata after this. An extra star for not starting at all and keeping the owner at home ROFL

They anyway outsourced their engine to Fiat and Gearbox to Hyundai. Why not outsource the "QC" to Toyota??
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 19:31   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
They anyway outsourced their engine to Fiat and Gearbox to Hyundai. Why not outsource the "QC" to Toyota??
Indeed! If not outsource, they should promptly poach the QC team from Toyota, which seems to be the OEM with the best reputation when it comes to reliability.

No one deserves to have the kind of experience the OP did, and I would have said this even if he had bought something else and not a 25 Lakh car. When you're paying money for something, you expect to get what you paid for.

Also, blaming the OP for taking delivery is not addressing the problem, which is that he was sold a lemon by TaMo. I am sure that most of us have purchased stuff in good faith some of which haven't worked like they were supposed to, and not all of us have had the interest or the combativeness to take people on when sold the dud.

Btw, from my own experience of dealing with a TaMo dealer, I am also suspicious that the dealer knew that the car was a lemon and intentionally got rid of it. In my case, the TaMo dealer had tried to sell me a TD car at a very knocked down price. However, after getting into the car for a TD I figured something was amiss, and on further questioning the sales executive (with whom I had built a rapport) it turned out that the car had got extensive work done as someone had filled petrol in a diesel car. I obviously didn't take the bait.

Hence in this case TaMo should also check that there was no issue with how the dealer handled the car prior to delivery. Also, at the very least, they should replace the car as a goodwill gesture. It will be a win-win for both the OP and TaMo - the OP will get a new car and TaMo will get a lemon that it can then use to prepare lemonade, i.e. see the niggles for itself and hopefully find the root causes and come up with sustainable solutions to eliminate them.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 19:31   #82

VALUABLE CUSTOMER. Ha ha ha... my father bought a Tata Estate in 1994. After that we never bought a Tata vehicle again. It was a pain .
anujgarg1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 20:12   #83
BHPian

I was only a kid in 4th grade when we got our second & last TATA product. It was 1998 & the car in question was the first gen TATA Safari. You can imagine how amazing that car must've felt back then. It was our first high-end car.

However, within a year of ownership & about 15,000 km I remember everything going south. The aircon wouldn't work, the windows would wind down but not go back up. Mechanically, the turbo charger failed, the power steering failed & we needed to overhaul the suspension. All within the first two years of ownership. Suffice to say we never ever bought a TATA product since.

Coming back to OP's problem, the best thing to do would to send emails to the top execs at TATA motors & make a lot of noise on social media.

I would strongly suggest you asking them to replace the car or in a worst-case scenario, atleast buy it back from you. If that means you loose some money as depreciation, I'd say that's still okay.

I am fully aware that it might seem quite harsh, but please do not take back this car hoping it will all be fine. Good luck to you.
CalmConquests is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 20:33   #84
BHPian

Sort of off topic but could the whole Mistry-Ratan Tata battle have anything to do with Tata Motor's state of affairs? IIRC Mistry wanted to move out of loss making businesses and improve profitability of all group companies and not just TCS. But despite getting booted out I think Mistry's vision is actually being implemented right now. The turn around of Tata Steel and the share prices of almost all group companies have been on a upward spiral for the past couple of years.

Not sure what Mistry's vision for TaMo specifically was but I assume he wanted better profits and rapid model launches, perhaps forcing them to scrimp in QC. But then again TaMo's pre-Mistry track record wasn't that great either. Guess its anybody's guess.
Old 28th May 2021, 20:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
Quick question-Did the owner received the solution to the issue
Update: Since I did not get answer here, I reached out to Tata Motors on Twitter to see if they reply and they did reply and as per them they have provided satisfactory response to the owner. Attaching the screenshot of their response.

Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-smartselect_20210528203725_twitter.jpg

Note from Support: Please take the time to type out your posts for better readability.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th May 2021 at 20:59. Reason: Post fixed for now. See note. Picture inserted in-line.
Abhi1990 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:14   #86
BHPian

Would be interested to know what the best possible solution was? No mention of the resolution!
Old 28th May 2021, 21:22   #87

I was never a fan of TATA cars but the Nexon and harrier grabbed my attention.The Nexon is a great package with premium feeling interiors but the Harrier/Safari just doesn't feel the same.The interior panels rattle and feel cheap,the doors feel lighter,etc.it's quite interesting how the quality drops as you pay more.I expect a 23+L car to feel very premium.I still firmly believe that Tata has a lot of potential if they work on their wrongs.
Old 28th May 2021, 21:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Even Toyotas have defects/glitches. They are caught in the production process and rectified. Design changes are made when necessary.

What worries me more is that the car passed every quality check and PDI process in the factory and the dealer; But NO one decided that this issue is serious enough and the car went to the next step.

Shows a lax attitude in the company culture that can't be fixed by skilled engineers alone.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th May 2021 at 21:31.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:51   #89
BHPian

We should discuss about the means to rectify the problem or provide some helpful tips/insights, instead it has turned into Tata motors bashing thread. In past I have also indulged into brand bashing but then I realised every other forum can do that, here if possible we should strive to be better than others. Every manufacturer today and in past had QC issue, no OEM has ever been clean and so every thread will turn like this.

We can discuss about - if it is only a QC issue or if the materials being used are inferior? What different manufacturers have done to overcome it. This sort of direction the discussion should focus on. I am certainly not too knowledgeable about the mechanisms of sun/moon/panaromic roofs due to owning only one such car and that too for a brief period of time.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 22:09   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
We should discuss about the means to rectify the problem or provide some helpful tips/insights, instead it has turned into Tata motors bashing thread. In past I have also indulged into brand bashing but then I realised every other forum can do that, here if possible we should strive to be better than others. Every manufacturer today and in past had QC issue, no OEM has ever been clean and so every thread will turn like this.
Threads with Hyundai issues are more like what you have said, less bashing and more problem solving discussions.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed