Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 16:08   #46
BHPian

Re: Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue

This is just terrible. Anyone's heart would just sink if this happened especially on a much awaited day when you take your new car home.

The mail sent to Mr. Dimple Mehta getting blocked however is unusual. About 12 days back I had written into him with a query on the extension of OEM warranty and ASS schedule for TATA cars which was reported widely on auto forum and was also published on the TATA Motors press release page on their website.

I not only got a prompt reply from him personally but he also connected me with the regional customer service manager who guided me and was in touch with me till the my entire query was resolved. Even after the resolution of the query, when I sent him a thank you email; pat came the reply.

I honestly did not expect anything to come from my 1st email and I was presently surprised at his response and the followup from the TATA Customer Service Team.

Very weird that your email was blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WaeR-CXLkXo

Tata damaged its reputation with troublesome cars like the Indica, Indigo, Aria etc. It rebuilt a part of that with sorted models such as the Nexon & Hexa, but again, the Harrier & Safari are ruining it. I simply cannot understand why Tata is unable to consistently build trouble-free Harriers & Safaris, and why these products were brought to the market before they were fully ready.

Just thinking aloud why Tata is unable to solve the Harrier / Safari niggles. I would've thought it's so easy after 2+ decades of building cars and outsourcing so very much! Hell, the engine is from FCA, the AT gearbox is from Hyundai, the platform was borrowed from Land Rover...in my opinion, Tata had it so much easier when such major + critical components are ready for use.

How could they mess up the build, quality, software, electricals & ICE so much? It's like the kid who was given a special pass to do just 30% of his homework, but still couldn't do a satisfactory job. If a brand new car has such issues, I shudder to think of how these poorly built cars are going to age once they have 50,000 - 100,000 km on the odometer.

Soorya Kumar sends this information in on behalf of his cousin, via our share page!

Attachment 2160948

Attachment 2160949

Attachment 2160950

Attachment 2160951

Attachment 2160953

Attachment 2160954
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-teambhptata.jpg  

akshaydandekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydandekar View Post

The mail sent to Mr. Dimple Mehta getting blocked however is unusual. About 12 days back I had written into him with a query on the extension of OEM warranty and ASS schedule for TATA cars which was reported widely on auto forum and was also published on the TATA Motors press release page on their website.

I not only got a prompt reply from him personally but he also connected me with the regional customer service manager who guided me and was in touch with me till the my entire query was resolved. Even after the resolution of the query, when I sent him a thank you email; pat came the reply.
Looks like OP used the wrong email address where the [dot] between the first and last names are missing. Maybe this was the reason his mail bounced.
deepakc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:35   #48
MCR
BHPian

Pathetic to say the least. Not the kind of Car and Service one would expect from a so called premium car and the Manufacturer.
This is where Toyota shines and bad experiences are at a bare minimum. This is Tata's top of the line car and they cannot simply wash their hands of the problems in the car. Also, there are too many instances of Harrier and Safari horror stories which is really pointing towards issues in the Platform / Manufacturing.

Just pondering if its better to buy Innova GX Auto rather than Safari XZA+?
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 17:17   #49
BHPian

Are 30 years not enough for a manufacturer to atleast learn how to make a reliable product?
Over the years, TaMo has a messed up a multitude of times and they always learned the hard way. Just when things were starting to look a lot better, we see such cases and it's all back to square one.
Now I'm in no way denying the fact that Tata has made great strides in a lot of other areas, especially designs and safety but when will they understand that reliability and good service support are as important!

I can not even imagine how it feels when your brand new car breaks down on the very first day! (That too after spending 2.5 million rupees!) I really feel sorry for the guy and all those owners who are facing such issues. I hope Tata acts responsibly and start respecting their customers who have trusted them when many of us still haven't.
Old 27th May 2021, 17:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Customer Service heads like these who block a frantic customer/and not do their jobs, should be sacked immediately. I had a similar experience with a lady from their Bangalore office sales team. High and mighty they act, with customers
Let's slow down a bit. I am sure the customer has been wronged here. But from the previous post by some members it seems that maybe the email id that the owner sent the email to was incorrect.

Besides, even the error message attached in the first post actually does say 'recipient address rejected' and the error code does seem to point to some other configuration issue (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exc...xchange-online).

Maybe the 'Message blocked' part of the message was just to let the sender know that their message was blocked by the recipient mail server (not that the recipient himself blocked the sender).
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 17:44   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakc View Post
Looks like OP used the wrong email address where the [dot] between the first and last names are missing. Maybe this was the reason his mail bounced.
Bingo! The customer missed the dot in the email address. Have removed that comment from the opening post. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:14   #52
BHPian

This time I landed here from Google News where it is one of the main news items. So I am sure that there will be quite a few ruffled feathers at Tata's as there's nothing worse than a viral negative story about a brand, even if it is completely true.

So I am guessing that there will soon be some quick and full action from the top of the corporate heap at Tata Motors.

Having said that, give them a chance. I am no fan of Tata's either having experienced their service first hand in the past. It was atrocious!

But issues like this can happen with any car of any brand, even with a Toyota. Also, and this for the company folks who read this, such major disappointments can be turned around and showcased as an example of excellent service. They should not let the dealer lead the effort now and take charge directly themselves.

And then do whatever it takes, even if means giving a brand new vehicle(without any more issues or problems!). By now they should have decided on it.

In my case, although it happened years ago, the Tata workshop took my new car apart and permanently damaged it so much so that it never ever ran like it used to run when it was new. It used to always, during my ownership of 7 years, run with extra noises and issues, some which were never resolved.

Count me out from owning anything with the name Tata on it.

I hope the vehicle owner gets this resolved soon, and Tata's for once exceed expectations. The whole auto world in India will be keeping track of this story.
Tarrodie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:53   #53

Hello everyone, thanks for sparing the time to make sure aforementioned issue gets the attention it needs.

As for why the Owner took delivery of a faulty product, well the reason is simple.
One, you don't go the showroom for delivery expecting such a display of absurdity, you're present there for a delivery is because of the trust in the car and the brand.
Once the mood shift from "Yay, my new car is here" to "Did I just commit a grave mistake?" sets in and the fact that you've been had the bad luck to watch your brand new car taken apart while standing for nearly 7+ hours with family, he'd just wanna get this over with in hopes that the service personnel have indeed done their job and the issue was a simple one.
Two, especially if your fam severely advocated against a TATA purchase due to their misconception(quite ironic now) of the brand and its vehicles, and you are the one who convinced them otherwise.
Seeing a purchase of 25+ big ones go down like that has obviously changed things.

For now, the vehicle is still at his house awaiting towing as procuring an e-pass is still problematic.
TASS wants to get it to the service and assess what the issue is before anything else.

Again, thank you your advices and for pointing out the error in the email-id that was used, and to be honest, finding out the mail-ids of the higher ups in TATA is quite hard as far a customer is concerned.
Might as well hire a private detective for the same.
soorya_sKa is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just thinking aloud why Tata is unable to solve the Harrier / Safari niggles. I would've thought it's so easy after 2+ decades of building cars and outsourcing so very much! Hell, the engine is from FCA, the AT gearbox is from Hyundai, the platform was borrowed from Land Rover...in my opinion, Tata had it so much easier when such major + critical components are ready for use.
Thanks a ton for reporting this and bringing the quoted point up, GTO. This is precisely the kind of incident that keeps the likes of me from plonking one's hard-earned bucks on a Tata, no matter if the product is the flagbearer of Tat's engineering expertise! While I'm currently considering a new Safari / pre-owned Hexa (The perfect 7-seater SUV / MPV under 25 lakhs) for my upgrade, incidents like these (during delivery, no less) do not instil confidence in the product ownership, and are likely to be a maintenance menace later on in their lifetime. Perhaps Tata needs a technical collaboration with a Japanese automaker to give it a much-needed shot in its QC / QA / reliability arm. For what it's worth, their JV with Hyundai should also do the trick if expanded functionally!
RoverX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't have thought I would be posting this sentiment, twice on the same day in this forum.

If I had to choose a MUV with a 25 lakh budget, I would rather buy the Innova Crysta than the new Safari

Didn't we read a huge ordeal of a teambhpian who had bought a harrier a few weeks ago?

If this had happened in a Tiago, it's a bit easier to forgive. To obtain 25 lakhs from a customer, only to give him a lemon is unforgivable.

I wish the owner takes Tata to court.

You now know why Innovas keep selling inspite of the atrocious pricing. There are no Innova owners complaining about getting a lemon, ever.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th May 2021 at 19:49.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 20:12   #56
BHPian

This may be slightly off topic-

All this only puts more stress on one very important point that many T-BHPians have been stressing upon over the year- Do not process full payment unless you have done a thorough PDI of your allotted car and walk away from it as soon as you see anything fishy either with car or dealer at any point.

When you are paying in full for a brand new product there is no reason why you have to go through any stress or compromise on a product on it's delivery day.

I have seen few Jeep Compass owners talking about being forced to settle full payment for a car that has just been allotted by factory to them but haven't yet shipped/arrived at dealership.

You never know what's wrong with the car or what goes wrong during shipping/handling. I will not trust either the dealer or a company who is reluctant in allowing me to checkout the car that's going to be registered in my name as I know there is very little (at least in this country) what you can do once it's registered in your name and you would not like to spend time running behind the dealer or car as to be honest for most of them you really don't matter unless you are making too much noise.

Finally, keeping aside the debate on Indian brand versus Asian brand versus European brand versus American brand and so on, I truly believe we should look at and consider a brand depending on the car segment/budget you are targeting.

Hear me out on this one-
  • When it comes to India brands, I personally would consider them for cars in budget /segment that are anywhere below 20lacs.
  • For most Asian brands, I would consider them up to 30lacs
  • For most European brands, I would consider them up to 50lacs
  • And if the budget is beyond this, I would consider big 3 and similar brands

The idea here is simple- trust a brand only in the segment they offer right value and has sufficient experience (manufacturing, sales and ASS) in dealing with customers and product in respective segments.
Again this is as per current segment wise pricing and things can change as we see the auto industry evolve and gain more traction.
cloudno19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 21:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Be Indian, Buy Indian the faux patriots said,

Mahindra or Tata, help Indians earn their bread,

But very often, the warning lights glow red and the car is dead,

And suddenly you don’t see any patriots around as they’re busy hiding their head.
TRUE! TRUE! People are nowadays so blinded by emotions on social media that they'll call you anti-national for stating fair arguments/points. I remember a person commenting on the low safety scores of the Scorpio as, "desh Ka loha hai Mercedes se bhi tagda, yeh crash test sab faltu cheez hai" and I couldn't stop laughing. It's important to analyze the value and reliability factor the products offer in the market and not the company's country of origin. It's great to be patriotic but people have twisted the meaning of this word on social platforms.

Coming to Tata, in one of the thread a member called me out indicating I was spreading hate against MSIL and praising Tata and I told the esteemed member that he may search up my numerous posts criticizing Tata for lack of quality control and poor after sales, and here I am again! I applauded Tata for their efforts to give safe vehicles (the Safari and Harrier aren't tested though) and I will criticize them for such pathetic customer experiences which have become quite common with the Omega Arc siblings. What's more surprising is the customer being dodged by the customer care which is not what happens with the rival domestic brand i.e. Mahindra, I have seen the customer team running around the buyer after a tweet or mail to Anand Mahindra and/or his team.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 27th May 2021 at 21:53.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 21:55   #58

I see something like this and I cringe. I thank the lord that I dodged a bullet.

We needed a new car and with 2 kids and living in Mumbai (where water levels are rising with each passing year), a SUV was required. The heart went berserk each time I saw the Harrier. Waited for the 7-seater Safari and was close to closing the deal, but the head always pushed me away. Don't touch a Tata product just yet. They are improving but nowhere close to where 25 big ones ought to be. Can't take a risk with 2 small kids!

Loved the Hector too but eventually the Supreme Court (wife!) made it clear that there was no need to procrastinate my dreams any longer. You see, she knows that I'm in love with the Germans. I took GTO's advise and bought a 1.5 year old pre-owned GLC. Double the damage but now the head and the heart are much happier.
fourwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 22:52   #59
BHPian

Feel sorry for these owners to have spent 25L on such lemons.

If Tata Motors is reading this thread, they should take note that their brand is close to getting destroyed if not destroyed already.

They should actively look at damage control in the short term by replacing the cars of such owners and offering 30 day money back guarantee similar to what Kia did on the Carnival. For the long term, they need to up their game on reliability. It's okay to leverage the product design from JLR but not the reliability lessons
Old 27th May 2021, 23:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

It really hurts to see a legendary name being botched up big time by the maker themselves. QC is poor with Indian brands. But, we do have seen breakdowns with other brands too right? I can’t exactly remember but poorly recall it being a Kia Seltos? Sorry if I have mentioned the wrong brand. I believe all brands barring the big ones have few cases popping up like this on & off proving they care less with their QCs or the electrical components used in their new cars. I really hope the customer gets his car sorted out by the company. It’s disheartening to go through this ordeal when the car is barely run out of the showroom.

But, again can you trust the car post repairs, which isn’t fixed to its best state from factory itself? I don’t think the car will be free of any trouble because something inside the skin isn’t right and symptoms will show up as he munches more miles on it. We know the level of competency Tata motors have on hand at dealers section. So chances are low is what I think.

Wishing the customer good luck in getting his car fixed back to its pristine condition.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks