Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 18:01   #151
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, pls dont compare the FE with your Innova.

The FE is very poor. I am sure your driver drives the car rashly otherwise it can never give such figures or May be you calculations gone wrong somewhere.

Sir, one request, please come out of this driver syndrome and start driving yourself. You will come to know of the exact problems then. Hope you come driving self next week for the dam meet.

Abhi
Old 31st October 2008, 18:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure I do perfect calculation about FE because I am well experienced in that This is FE with just first full tank to full tank fill so untill I do samething from same Bunk for at least 3 times I won't come to conclussions.

Like I said in my previous post there is something wrong like car was kept idle (by driver) for long long time with AC to avoid heat or driver drives with heavy foot (may be his shoes LOL), tyre issue or vehicle issue. I am trouble shooting and update!

I am surprised to see 11.29kmpl FE with 80% AC on in City driving, I am doing some tests soon adn will update about FE.

So far onething I noticed car jerks or bubles/wobles even in low speeds. I did balancing a day back then did tank full to calculate FE since then drove only 35km and will be completing 100km tomorrow and we will know the change of FE in coupel of days if any.

OT: Well to be very honest I used to love driving but somehow couldnot drive, one or other day I will start driving.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 31st October 2008, 18:51   #153
Senior - BHPian

Something is seriously wrong. Can you take it to Lokesh in Surakshaa and investigate it? The FE figures are not acceptable. You have already seen my chart and it is not for one fill but for full 3 years and never ever it went that drastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
OT: Well to be very honest I used to love driving but somehow couldnot drive, one or other day I will start driving.
Kaab start karoge !! Jaab cake mein 60 candles honge taab

No excuses boss, you are coming driving your own car next week in the dam meet. If i see your driver then you have to drive my car back. Is that OK?

Abhi
Old 31st October 2008, 19:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

ok I am doing some FE testing this week end and next week I will bring the car to Suraksha with full test analysis and report, I was thinking to get 2nd service done there but did it already in RNS.

I would love get it checked @Suraksha for sure!

I will drive and take you in my Alto once we reach there and show you my skills even I will ask my wife to take it for a spin as well so you can decide who is better driver. Later on If you give permission (LOL) we will drive your Alto as well.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st October 2008 at 19:39.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
MASS Gem of the day:
Aunty aap gaadi jaipur le ke aaiye, tab asli mileage niklegi.
Argghhh!!! Had I been there I would've given him an uppercut - what nonsense. Our case btw, is peculiar since car was happily giving 15-16 till first service (with same sedate driving by mom!)
This is not something new.
My Uncles New Swift was giving him 15 Kmpl till the first service.
After the first service, the average has come down to 11-12. I wonder what they do in the first service to bring the average down. Maybe some changes in the ECU might be the reason.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, I own a 2000 Alto Vxi - that's the short-lived model with the F10D motor. A year ago I had the engines' head ported, polished, & shaved.
An Alto VXI in 2000. Are you sure the Alto's were out then? My guess is that they were launched somewhere in 2003-2004.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:55   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
An Alto VXI in 2000. Are you sure the Alto's were out then? My guess is that they were launched somewhere in 2003-2004.
I have a 2000 Alto LX. Alto was launched back in year 2000 Vinit.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:08   #158
Senior - BHPian

@ Ravi, Scary Sculls and all other people who are facing problem with the mileages of their peppy ALTOS.

I have been using my alto LXI since April 2004. Believe me guys each and every KM i have observed my alto very critically, i have felt the every beat of the engine like the beat of my heart.

what i believe is alto if all things set right gives an optimum performance. the 800 cc small engine is very very sensitive to slightest of malfunctions. i have gone through hell lot of experiences regarding my alto to get it right on track and deliver what it is supposed to. Here goes the list which affect the mileage figures of alto. these all things need to be taken care of.

1. Spark plug gap setting - small noticeable effect.
2. Throttle body cleaning - major effect, changes the speed, throttle response, you tend to bottom the pedal to gain pick up, the butterfly valve doesnt function properly, confuses the ECU to deliver the right fuel ratio.
3. ECU/Sensors - This affects the whole functioning of engine. Many times washing engine bay with pressurized water flow causes the MAP sensor, Airflow sensor, the Exhaust sensor or some or the other sensor/electronics to malfunction. this throws a error code to the ECU which doesnt get erased until connected with TECH2. The errors make the car behave very funny with very bad fuel economy coupled with dead pick up and even dead response at the throttle with AC on. This error is very hard to find to a normal driver. u have to feel the engine very critically and keenly. those who dont find this keep on pulling their cars with high rpms wasting more fuel. u need to get this right very soon, plug in the TECH2.
4. Sparkplug wires - small effect, timing problems are associated with this. can be rectified easily during the normal servicing of the car.
5. Valve tappet setting - Major effect, excess fuel consumption, knocking etc.
6. Engine decarb- major effect, MUL recommends engine decarb at 25k kms interval, but if the fuel station is foul, then the small 800 cc engine is affected to a huge extent.
7. Canister/Exhaust cleaning - top speed problem, increase in back pressure, excess fuel consumption. the 800 cc finds it difficult to overcome this barrier. get it cleaned immediately.
8. Belts/Pulleys - ensure perfect slackness in the belts. tight belts or loose belts both cause excess loads on the engine.
9. Brakes - ensure the brakes are not jam. they cause barrier in free rolling of the car and cause excess fuel consumption. make sure all cylinders are working fine and no leakages are there.
10. Coolant - even if the dashboard shows constant temperatures coolant plays important role in maintainaning optimum temperatures of the engine to burn the fuel efficiently. this may have a very small effect on the mileage.

i am not including the other parameters which all people know like tyre pressure,engine oil and other basic things etc. i will contibute more of my findings when i get some more time.

so please check all the above points with MUL service station (authorised only). this will surely get your alto a better mileage.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:38   #159
BHPian

I have recently begun to driving my Alto LXI and collected data over last two refills:

Rs L Km KMPL
500 9.88 155 15.69
500 9.88 155.8 15.77

1 person/very short drives/irregular-AC/city.

Now this is not by full fuel tank method but take it for what its worth.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:50   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I have a 2000 Alto LX. Alto was launched back in year 2000 Vinit.
Sir, The Alto Lx And Vx variants were launced in 2000. But the versions with power steering the Lxi and VXi were launched in 2002 only.
The last of the Vx/Vxi rolled out in 2004.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:43   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
6. Engine decarb- major effect, MUL recommends engine decarb at 25k kms interval, but if the fuel station is foul, then the small 800 cc engine is affected to a huge extent.
7. Canister/Exhaust cleaning - top speed problem, increase in back pressure, excess fuel consumption. the 800 cc finds it difficult to overcome this barrier. get it cleaned immediately.
I like to know more about engine decarb and exhaust cleaning as I am approaching 25K service. Any advise on how its done. I didnt find these on the service book.
I get a constant 12kms FE with full AC in Chennai. My best was 17kms.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 1st November 2008 at 00:44.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I like to know more about engine decarb and exhaust cleaning as I am approaching 25K service. Any advise on how its done. I didnt find these on the service book.
engine decarb is basically a procedure similar to that ones used in old days where the engine needed to be opened and the carbon deposits over the valves, pistons, head etc was cleaned. this is a very laborious job and people used to get this done say after 80k to 1 lac kms. it also costed a lot.

the modern method is to pump in a concentrated liquid (carbon cleaner) with a help of a machine through the fuel system which cleans the intake manifold, valves, pistons etc.
for more information refer the thread below. get it done at 25k, it will cost u around 1500-2000 bucks. do it only at a MUL authorised workshop.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...on-engine.html (Carbon Cleaning / Decarbonisation of Engine)
Old 1st November 2008, 00:53   #163
Senior - BHPian

city run : 13 kmpl with heavy traffic, high revving pick ups and with AC on.
City Run : 15 kmpl with moderate traffic and AC on.
City Run : 17 kmpl with moderate traffic and without AC , smooth driving- no fast overtakes.

Highway run: 19 kmpl with AC on and speeds between 90-110 kmph
Highway run: 21 kmpl without AC and speeds between 80-120 kmph (varying)

never got above these figures.
Old 1st November 2008, 09:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

mail4ajo, pls go through my LTO, I too did the engine decarb at 25K. It is advisable as it prolongs the engine life.
In the next refill I got a lesser mileage for obvious reasons and then again the mileage shot up.

Abhi
Old 1st November 2008, 09:26   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

No excuses boss, you are coming driving your own car next week in the dam meet. If i see your driver then you have to drive my car back. Is that OK?

Abhi
Abhi, you should not be so strict with him.

Btw ravi, did we say that you wont get any breakfast, if you come with driver

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks