Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 12:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Thats funny mjothi May be I will eat full in the morning itself and come to breakfast or let me learn driving/confidence very soon.

Amit good points I will keep in mind thanks for that, I am back from first test drive. 2 days back after wheel balancing I filled Petrol again full tank means really full tank. Today morning went to same Bunk and filled again full tank FE was 11.4kmpl only city driving. So wheel balancing didn't help FE at all for city driving.

Then I went to Magadi road - NICE road till tumkur road end and right U turn and then Mysore end right U turn and then Tumkur Road end right U turn and drove back to Magadi road and reached same HP Bunk in Basaveshwara nagar (I used to fill Innova in same bunk also snaronikar). This time 40km NICE road driving with normal driving speeds like 60-75kmph (max speed 80kmph), not pushed the vehicle hard at all. and 25km Magadi road - Basaveshwara nagar city driving. No use of AC at all. 3 Adults and 20kg luggage in the CAR. Waited for 5 minutes in bunk after opening fuel CAP to pass any stuck gass inside fuel tank by shaking the vehicle.

Filled the Alto with full brim and only 3.6ltr Petrol went for 65km so FE is 18kmpl. Now Vehicle ODO is 2960km and 2nd servicing done 200km back when I baught this pre owned car. This time also its driven by same person.

So again I am going to do test in same way with different person driving the car. I will come back with the results.

Today I also did emission testing reading appeared normal and noticed when vehicle is started idling is bit more which we noticed from day1 too but I feel this is how it is first few seconds RPM/idling will be more and then it will settle down.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 1st November 2008 at 13:10.
Old 1st November 2008, 13:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

Mileage on an Alto:

My worst were during the initial days of owning it: 14kmpl in city and highway - always with a/c and fast driving.

Best was 22kmpl on a trip to Kerala; maintained 80kmph and with sudden pulls in between for overtaking and also a/c for 50% of the trip (400kms trip).

Now getting consistent 15~16kmpl in city (a/c and non a/c mix) and in highways it is ~19kmpl with driving at 90-110kmph but no sudden pulls (except for few overtakes).

Vehicle has done 54800+ kms so far.
Old 1st November 2008, 15:01   #168
Senior - BHPian

Thats good FE HappyWheels

My Alto in today's test returned 65km for 3.6 ltr Petrol. This includes 40km NICE expressway and 25km Magadi - Basaveshwara Nagara City driving. No use of AC but still its good FE considerring Mix of City and Highway so low FE I noticed is something to do with Pure City driving or AC on or my driver might be with heavy foot or when car is parked he puts AC in idling or Alto gives less FE when AC is on in City driving.

I am happy in 2 days of time I could make good progress of troubleshooing low FE I noticed in Alto. Now starting my next round of test with different person driving it in same condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st November 2008, 15:13   #169
Senior - BHPian

Ravi,
That FE is something I can accept for Alto. Nice FE.

Pls keep driving yourself and dont have multiple people drive your car. Slowly you will realize that the FE has increased considerably and you will start to enjoy. SInce it has crossed 20K service just have a checkup at Surakshaa.

At 25K service please go to Surakshaa and have a full service done.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 1st November 2008 at 15:14.
Old 1st November 2008, 15:41   #170
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, 18kmpl is a good mileage and for an Alto, it should be around that range.

But yes, it all depends on the driving; as you saw from my own case, I had got 14kmpl also, at one point of time!
Old 1st November 2008, 16:53   #171
BHPian

guys, i really think that you guys are lucky, i never got more then 15 Kmpl on my alto Lxi
Old 1st November 2008, 22:09   #172
Senior - BHPian

I am back from 2nd round test drive with same condition:

Same Petrol Bunk same Machine and followed same full tank.
Different person drove the car this time compared to morning.
Without AC
Same route 65km from Petrol Bunk - Magadi road - NICE road - Magadi road - Same Petrol bunk.
Filled the Petrol Tank Full, only 2.3ltr went in and also carried 1.3 ltr Petrol in bottle assuming there should be some air gap and poured that after 30 minutes reaching home with just 6km driving from bunk because air inside Fuel Tank would have settle down in 30 minutes.
This is test carried at 4PM while same test carried at 10AM too in the morning.
Distance covered: 71km, here 45km NICE road normal driving with 70kmph speed and 26km city driving with medium traffic.
FE: 19.722kmpl Thats amazing!!

Conclusion: If we drive with light foot one can get better FE provided car is in good condition, Alto can return 22kmpl easily without AC in good highway road.

Today totally I travelled 151km and filled 8.6ltr Petrol Tank Full to really Full Tank method, FE is 17.55kmpl (90km highway and 61km city driving) Thats maazing about Alto returning very good FE.

Thanks for all feedback!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I guess my next test would be with AC!!

Last edited by ravibhat : 1st November 2008 at 22:14.
Old 1st November 2008, 23:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

While we are at this topic can you all share which engine oil you all use in your Alto's ?
Old 1st November 2008, 23:35   #174
Senior - BHPian

i have started using fully synthetic PETRONAS SYNTIUM 3000 oil. i think for 800 cc engine, engine oil plays a very important role in withstanding the abuses or over revving, top speeds etc.
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Ravi, thats what is expected. Have a nice drive. I did get around 22kmpl on our bandipur drive where I was driving slowly and AC was not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
While we are at this topic can you all share which engine oil you all use in your Alto's ?
I have been using Castrol magnatac (semi synthetic) since 5622 on ODO and keep chaning oils at 10K service intervals.

Abhi
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:51   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I have been using Castrol magnatac (semi synthetic) since 5622 on ODO and keep chaning oils at 10K service intervals.
I change Engine oil and Oil Filter every 5K. What is the cost of Castrol magnatac ?
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:12   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I change Engine oil and Oil Filter every 5K. What is the cost of Castrol magnatac ?
You dont require to do that !! 10K is enough.

The rate varies daily hence MASS fellows not keeping stock here. better buy it beforehand and carry it. Around 800 rupees for 3 lit.

Abhi
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
You dont require to do that !! 10K is enough.

The rate varies daily hence MASS fellows not keeping stock here. better buy it beforehand and carry it. Around 800 rupees for 3 lit.

Abhi
I dunno i think there is something wrong with my car. From past 20K KM i have observed as soon as my car crosses 5-6K km the oil light comes on and if i check the engine oil level is low. Earlier i used to change at every 10K.

And my FE has dropped from 18-20 (without ac) to 12-14.

AC load is way too much. Lot of vibrations blah blah blah.

I think i need to use STP flush again .

Last edited by abhibh : 2nd November 2008 at 14:32.
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dunno i think there is something wrong with my car. From past 20K KM i have observed as soon as my car crosses 5-6K km the oil light comes on and if i check the engine oil level is low. Earlier i used to change at every 10K.

And my FE has dropped from 18-20 (without ac) to 12-14.

AC load is way too much. Lot of vibrations blah blah blah.

I think i need to use STP flush again .
engine oil level light coming up is showing some signs of problem. the engine oil level never drops to that extent even after using it for 10 k kms. i suspect there is a oil leakage or heavy evaporation from somewhere.
are u observing smoke from your exhaust? if so then piston rings have blown up.
which oil do you use? and how much exact litres do u put. alto requires 3 litres
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
engine oil level light coming up is showing some signs of problem. the engine oil level never drops to that extent even after using it for 10 k kms. i suspect there is a oil leakage or heavy evaporation from somewhere.
are u observing smoke from your exhaust? if so then piston rings have blown up.
which oil do you use? and how much exact litres do u put. alto requires 3 litres
There is no leakage as i can not see any oil on the floor. As soon as i change the oil the car runs without any problems and engine oil light never comes up.

I will check about the smoke problem and report here.

I am using Shell Mineral (helix i guess) 3ltr can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks