Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 16:49   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Hi All,
I had purchased Alto Lxi around 45 days before, first service done at the end of 30 days, total KM rum till now around 500 !, average i got from the first day is around 10 KMPL.
Can you guys suggest me to go for a check or should i wait to cross 1000 or 2000.
Please suggest........10 KMPL is too low !!!!
See this for FE measurement :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ement-how.html
Old 20th September 2007, 16:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Nah this is new improved look alto with 32bit ECU that ensures 32% more fuel consumption
Old 20th September 2007, 17:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
GO to a separate service station or write to Maruti
yes. Planning to do either of the two steps soon. But when one's service station's Scanner says all values perfect, then I think others will also say same.

Quote:
Kahin petrol chori to nahi hota hai Ludhiane mein
I suspected. That's why I filled from the best pump in Chandigarh. No improvements.

I'm regretting not buying a Swift. My cousin's Swift gives 12kmpl with my driving in city. And my Alto gives same. WOW.
Old 20th September 2007, 19:34   #79

My Alto LXI (2 year old) gives 10kmpl with A/c-city drive. I am using the car 3to4 Km per day. This may be one of the reason.
I asked ABT (mass)to check up & carryout tuning.Even after tuning ECU on computer, getting the same result.
Old 20th September 2007, 23:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

I think all of us alto walas should get together. Atleast for good ole carbed bikes, a good mech and a screwdriver was all one needed. Now, mom's gotten her car tested thrice at Rohan (including today). scanner results fine, but city mileage 10-11 (all 40-50 kph uber sedate driving). I got 12+ with spirited 80-90 types runs (ring road, gurgaon expressway etal)

MASS Gem of the day:
Aunty aap gaadi jaipur le ke aaiye, tab asli mileage niklegi.
Argghhh!!! Had I been there I would've given him an uppercut - what nonsense. Our case btw, is peculiar since car was happily giving 15-16 till first service (with same sedate driving by mom!)
Old 20th September 2007, 23:40   #81
Team-BHP Support

I've been driving in relatively low traffic at odd hours like 2am and 3am these days. I've been consistently getting 14kmpl with the AC on.

My driving isn't the most ideal as I keep the car in the power band always.

1st - 2nd --> 15kmph
2nd - 3rd --> 35kmph
3rd -4th --> 55kmph
4th - 5th --> 70kmph

The car mileage hasn't crossed 15kmpl till date. Infact on a full tank just once have i crossed 420kms.
Old 20th September 2007, 23:44   #82
BHPian

Scary - after reading your posts.. checked with my colleague who commutes in an Alto. 13 KMpl is the best she gets with A/C on in bangalore traffic.

17 kmpl may be on a mileage run..
Old 21st September 2007, 00:21   #83
Team-BHP Support

i said this earlier also guys. its everywhere the same story. in city all altos seem to give a best of 12-13kmpl. at least thats what most new altos (2-3 years vintage) seem to give. don't know about the older ones.
Old 21st September 2007, 08:16   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
i said this earlier also guys. its everywhere the same story. in city all altos seem to give a best of 12-13kmpl. at least thats what most new altos (2-3 years vintage) seem to give. don't know about the older ones.
Yup, Zappo, teh little 800cc engine struggles to pull teh extra weight compared to the M800 but there are a few people who get amazing mileage even in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
(P.S: My Mileage tho is impeccable: 17.75kmpl with Speed !!)

3) i have to do abt 2600Kms of driving a month- half in highway, half in city.
I think even Abhi (akroy) gets 15+kmpl in teh city.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

don't knw how you drive our altos but i redline my alto in every gear and the little car still returns 15km/l

i gear changing

1st 35km/hr
2nd 65 km/hr
3rd 90km/hr
4th donna knw haven't manged it
5th it only for highway

i drive my car with a very heavy foot

on highway it still gives 20+

btw my alto is october 2002 model
Old 21st September 2007, 12:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think even Abhi (akroy) gets 15+kmpl in teh city.
well see the mileage pic in my LTO report (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...dated-20k.html), i never got less than 15...I really doubt some people getting 12-13, something is wrong in their driving style plus I guess they do spend more time on signals and AC on...but still 12-13 is way too less...

Abhi
Old 21st September 2007, 12:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
don't knw how you drive our altos but i redline my alto in every gear and the little car still returns 15km/l

i gear changing

1st 35km/hr
2nd 65 km/hr
3rd 90km/hr
4th donna knw haven't manged it
5th it only for highway

i drive my car with a very heavy foot

on highway it still gives 20+

btw my alto is october 2002 model
Manik, I agree with you...something is wrong in their cars or their driving style...

Abhi
Old 21st September 2007, 13:04   #88

I certainly doubt the way milege is calculated. I use two altos, the old 2003 model LX and 2006 model LXI . The way the fuel guage displays reading seems to be confusing comparing both these model( I dont know whether there is change in the tank capacity) . But If I fill the tank for Rs1000 , teh guage shows almost up to full in the LX whereas in the new model its a little above the half mark. So if anybody is calculating the fuel efficiency based on the reading from the reserve level and above , it certainly varies. It will be more for old model where as it will be less for the new model. So the best way to calculate FE is as described earlier

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...urement, how?)

From my usage it seems that the new model gives me a little better mileage compared to the old model. But the tuning,usage of AC, driving style all affect this. The actuall figures I haven't calculated eaxctly.

I drive around 40- 50 km daily from home to office and back.

For me personally my old alto LX gives me better pick up even in Ac compared to the new one. May be thats is the reason for better milege.

But I am little heavy on foot while driving the old one..because i like it being in the front of the traffic most of the times.... It is really a black beauty and I like to show it off. Body colour bumper ,tyres are tubeless on Plati Alloy rims and screens with double shaded tint..Also I have replaced the stock rear view mirror with the Zen ones which looks better for Alto.
Old 21st September 2007, 14:26   #89

FE of car is generally affected by the following factors. Weight of the Vehicle, proper air pressure, proper usage of gears, usage of AC and the style of driving.

So the same car if driven by three people , with the above factors varying will give three different figures. Ideally you get the maximum milege when its driven under the following conditions.

1) Minimal no of passengers or minum load on the vehicle . (Even filling up full tank reduces milege. filling half the tank gives you more milege because weight is less in this case)
2) 30psi or more tyre pressure( for alto)
3) Minimal or no usage of AC.
4) Proper usage of gears to maintain a balance ibetween pickup and speed along with the rpm band of the engine. So for Alto if it is driven in the 45-60 kph range maximum milage is obtained.
5) Driving style. Be light on foot and avoid unnecessary usage of breaks.

If these ideal conditions are followed you get 18-22 km milege for Alto.

I use two altos. 2003 Lx (old model ) and 2006 LXI (new model owned by FIL) . One difference I feel is regarding the fuel guage display. 2003 model shows almost full tank on filling 25 litres where as 2006 model shows it a little above the half.
If somebody calculate FE based on the level of indicator with refernce to the reserve line mark, taking both these cases it will surely vary. I dont know whether this is unique to the one I own or is applicable for all.
The newer one is more accurate , I feel, taking in to consideration that total fuel tank capacity is 35 litres.So while calculating fuel efficiency its always better to use the "tank full" approach as mentioned elsewhere here in this thread.

For me, I get better milege for the new one under same driving conditions. But the pickup is good for the old one, even when AC is on. The breaks are sharp and crisp compared to the new one.So on highways I always take this old black beauty with tubeless tyres on Plati Alloys. I am heavy on foot when I drive this and I should say it thrills as I am able to catchup with or overtake any any medium or small segment vehicles on the highway including the santros, indica, wagonr's . Esteem's ,Icon's and Accent's are no exception eventhough not on the straight line racing.

I drive around 40-50 km's daily .The exact FE, I havent calculated accurately for both these cars. But I believe I get a descent milege nearer to what is been claimed by maruthi.
Old 21st September 2007, 20:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Manik, I agree with you...something is wrong in their cars or their driving style...

Abhi
In a stark contrast to all that spirited driving, mine is mainly a leisurely cruise at 60kmph @ 5th gear most of the times.

I wouldn't lay much blame on my driving style as I get equal FE in a 1300cc car also. And 35+ in pure city traffic on my Karizma (others can hardly manage 30)

P.S.>> I also noticed that sometimes while accelerating from idle, If I keep the throttle minimum, Or just about enough for the job, there is severe shuddering of the whole car.
Happens sometimes only. Like 2 times out of 10.

Most Viewed