Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Nope. Same old pump that I use for all my vehicles.
SS give your car to me I am quiet famous among my friends for getting the car FE right .

I think you need to get your AC checked maybe your car AC is fuel guzzler as OPTRA 1.8
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:59   #62
BHPian

Could be.
Time to check components now.
Old 24th August 2007, 20:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Any updates SS on this issue ?

Edit:
Waise you are coming tomorrow if possible get the ALTO we will test it. I am currently out i will call u in 30 mins
Old 24th August 2007, 21:43   #64
BHPian

Yes Bro.
Coming in Alto only. I see the tester now rubbing his hands in *glee* LOL

Anyways, regarding the update on the issue.
12kmpl in city continues.
This is with A/C. And extremely light throttle. Cruising at 50-60kmph in top gear.
Old 25th August 2007, 05:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.
I got myself an almost new Alto from brother.
Feb 07 model. 7k run when I got it. (now 8.5k). (first three free services done)

Pretty happy with the Car overall except for the one thing that it was primarily bought for. LOW RUNNING COST.

Anyways.

Please help on the following two topics.
1) Fuel Economy
2) Possible reasons/sources of sound.

Fuel economy of Alto VXi (Jan 2007 model) --> around 13 kmpl with AC on all the time, and 18-19 kmpl on highways with AC on all the time. There were 4 of us in the car with heavy luggage as well.In the highways, we were driving at 100-120kmph whenever possible (NH45) Chennai-Madurai.

ScarySkulls, i think you should always check your city and highway mileages separately. I feel the figures that we got are quite normal for this car. The figures given by the car magazines seem to be hyped up always. Some magazine reviews have mentioned city mileage of 15+ kmpl and highway mileage of 23+. I am sure it must be with AC off.
Old 25th August 2007, 16:43   #66
BHPian

Alto Vxi Jan 2007 Model !!!??? Where How ???
Old 20th September 2007, 12:24   #67
BHPian

Hi All,
I had purchased Alto Lxi around 45 days before, first service done at the end of 30 days, total KM rum till now around 500 !, average i got from the first day is around 10 KMPL.
Can you guys suggest me to go for a check or should i wait to cross 1000 or 2000.
Please suggest........10 KMPL is too low !!!!
Old 20th September 2007, 12:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Hi All,
I had purchased Alto Lxi around 45 days before, first service done at the end of 30 days, total KM rum till now around 500 !, average i got from the first day is around 10 KMPL.
Can you guys suggest me to go for a check or should i wait to cross 1000 or 2000.
Please suggest........10 KMPL is too low !!!!
How did u check your FE? Go to proper pump and see, This is absolute less FE for Alto even with full AC...something is wrong...

My guess is you are calculating it wrong or your pump is fooling you...

Abhi
Old 20th September 2007, 13:00   #69
BHPian

This is my first car, so I am not sure whether the method applied by me to calculate the average is correct or not.
But I will tell you the details, i fill only when the petrol gauge touch the white line just above the empty mark.

Comments----Odometer----Fuel Amont----Per Litre----Litre----Average
From HP------40-----------Rs.700.00-----Rs.44.25----15.82
Indian Oil-----153----------Rs.1,130.00---Rs.43.25----26.13----7.14
From HP------393----------Rs.500.00-----Rs.44.25----11.30----9.19
From HP------510----------Rs.1,000.00----Rs.44.25----22.60---10.35

Please correct me if I am wrong and guide me to the correct way !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Zappo : 20th September 2007 at 14:07. Reason: Formatted the stats
Old 20th September 2007, 13:56   #70
BHPian

My alto consistently gives only 10.5kmpl (since 2004 may when completed the run-in of my car). It consistently averages 16-17 on the highways full ac with 2 people and luggage.

People are shocked when i say 10.5. But thats what it is.
Old 20th September 2007, 14:15   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
This is my first car, so I am not sure whether the method applied by me to calculate the average is correct or not.
But I will tell you the details, i fill only when the petrol gauge touch the white line just above the empty mark.
Ah! Saurabh... thats not the way to calculate FE figures. There are many places on this board where the technique is documented. But here it is in short. Forget that fuel gauge for a while. Go to a pump and ask him to top it up. When the autocut triggers ask him to fill it up to the brim. He will manually fill it up, carefully... till the petrol is visible at the neck of the fuel tank.

Reset the trip meter to 0 (zero). Move away. Keep driving at least for the next 200 kms. You need not wait till the fuel gauge falls down to that "white mark" (Lol, one of these days you are going to get stranded on the roads at this rate).

After driving for at least 200 kms or so go back to the same pump. Repeat the earlier procedure. Remember, fill up to the brim and NOT when the autocut triggers. Check the amount of fuel the tank took this time to get filled. Now check the trip meter. Remember, you reset it at the last fill. So the kms travelled as shown in the meter now consumed the lts of fuel your car now required to fill up. So divide the kms by the fuel ltrs. You get your FE.

I hope you will be able to that.
----------------------------------------------
@Venkatesh, I am not surprised at all (Ok, 10.5 is actually low for an 800cc car). I know at least two people (close acquaintances) whose Altos return around 12-13 in city. And their cars have no problems. One of them was a member in my erstwhile project. In his case the service center guy ultimately said very sheepishly 'sir those 17-18 figures are a bit hyped up. I think we can take it up to 14 and we will try for that but anything more is not possible in hyderabad traffic'. I was standing there with him at that time. It was the 5th time the guy had taken the car with the same complain. He was pretty worked up as his idea of Alto FE was at least 17kmpl in city. For the other guy though he is least bothered. He says he has talked to N no. of owners and after shifting through the stories and fairytales (his words not mine) he is sure that a genuine city average for choked cities like ours is never more than 14kmpl when the car is driven sedately. So he is happy with his 12-13 avg with moderate AC and spirited driving.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th September 2007 at 14:24.
Old 20th September 2007, 14:49   #72
BHPian

Thanks Zappo !!!!
I will definitely do that !!!
Just for the sake of knowledge, can you just tell me how this autocut triggers ? This trigger is initiated by fuel pump or by the fuel tank...
Old 20th September 2007, 15:09   #73
BHPian

Well, my best avg from the Alto is 14 kmpl (intermittent AC).

And worst is 7 kmpl, when I have filled from these 2 bunks on Airport Road (Bangalore).

But, I must add, during the 5.5 km drive to work the car hardly gets into 4th gear.

The car's just been serviced, so either its my driving or this is Alto's best !!
Old 20th September 2007, 15:12   #74
BHPian

Ok then.
I didnt want to get a reading from some other pump that I usually go to. Wanted to try a different one this time

Tanked up at a company run petrol pump in Chandigarh, reputed to the best pump there.
Car runs out of petrol today. Odometer says 380kms. Out of that it's 100km of pure highway cruise back to Ludhiana at constant 70-90kmph.
And 280km of City run. Done mostly in 5th gear @ 60kmph. Rush hour traffic avoided.
All figures with A/C.

I'm depresses. Have lost faith. Any buyers for an Alto?

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 20th September 2007 at 15:13.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok then.
I didnt want to get a reading from some other pump that I usually go to. Wanted to try a different one this time

Tanked up at a company run petrol pump in Chandigarh, reputed to the best pump there.
Car runs out of petrol today. Odometer says 380kms. Out of that it's 100km of pure highway cruise back to Ludhiana at constant 70-90kmph.
And 280km of City run. Done mostly in 5th gear @ 60kmph. Rush hour traffic avoided.
All figures with A/C.

I'm depresses. Have lost faith. Any buyers for an Alto?
THis is a serious problem...It just cannot happen...GO to a separate service station or write to Maruti...Kahin petrol chori to nahi hota hai Ludhiane mein

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks