Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 15:17   #1
yuv
BHPian

Old Honda City - malfunction indicator

Hello All,

Yesterday all of a sudden, my ohc 1.3, 2000 model, threw up the "yellow" malfunction indicator.I stopped the car immed, but since there was nothing unusual in the cars behaviour, I drove on...

Today, I have noticed that the engine is at a slightly higher rpm and fuel comsumption has increased(slightly)... but all of this could also be psycological as I read abt these symptoms in the forums :P.... but yes, a slightly higher rpm is very much there.

I am hesitant to take it to the authorised service centre after hearing many horror stories... and i dont want to get caught in their trap. Although 1 of their so-called "advisors" promised that he would get the scanning done free of cost for me. He has also told me that 99% it is the O2 sensor which will need to be replaced at a cost of 16k!!!!!!! :(

The engine seems smooth but i have noticed a peculiar wobbling, especially on the highway. It seems to have a mind of its own since the wobbling keeps increasing and decreasing, not withstanding the road conditions. Yes, the tyres need to be replaced, but this "wobbling" has mysteriously co-incided with the malfunction lamp, so i was wondering...

Please help!!!!!! Thanks in Advance.

Yuv
PS: Any advice on tyres & tyre upgrades for the ohc also welcome, although will be posting in the respective thread, Thanks.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh... well thanks for the thread Yuv, I've just started experiencing the same problem in my OHC too. All of a sudden for the past few days the Check Engine Light comes on, if I restart the car it goes away & then comes back again later but there is specific instance on which it comes on & there is no loss of performance or any other side effect. It doesn't even go into Limp mode.

My garage suspects that there is a loose sensor which gets triggered in a bump or something & that is causing the light but I've not had much time to go & get it rectified so it's still unsolved. Hopefully, this Thursday we might see some progress.

Gurus, anyone suspect any other problem for this light coming on?

P.S. Yuv, regarding the OHC tyres please use the search function multiple threads on the same subject already exist.
Old 9th July 2007, 17:06   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Should be the O2 sensor. Also if the O2 sensor is conked FE does go down a bit. And O2 sensor costs 16k ?
Old 9th July 2007, 17:38   #4
BANNED

Hi,

Even I had exactly the same problem on my vtec after the suspension job which is very strange as the 2 have no connection with each other. The Hi Scan threw up a O2 sensor malfunction so had to change it. Opted for the after marker one as it was far cheaper and did the same job. There are 2 qualities in the market
1> Delhi/Taiwan - Rs2.5k
2> Japanese - Rs4.5k with a 6 month word of mouth guarantee.

I chose the Jap one and its working just great since the past month.

Viper
Old 9th July 2007, 18:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

your second problem is tyres, they are worn out and need replacement, dont confuse with ecu light.
Old 10th July 2007, 03:01   #6
yuv
BHPian

Thanks all for prompt reply, appreciate your time.

Im taking the car to the authorised service centre for a (free?) hi-scan tomorrow..... will keep you'll posted.

Viper - Where in Mumbai did you pick up your O2 sensor from? Thanks

I saw one today for 1800/-... and the guy said it used to cost 2.5k and now the price is reduced so im assuming its the delhi/taiwan make.

If I may, ES-100's now come with local warranty? wow
Getting them for 2600/- each 185/60/R14... dunno if its the best choice.

Thanks again.... really worried abt that yellow light :(

Yuv
Old 10th July 2007, 06:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow - just 2.5k!! I had paid Honda 16k for a O2 sensor change!! Hmm, maybe I can afford to maintain the car, after all
Old 10th July 2007, 09:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahhh... well thanks for the thread Yuv, I've just started experiencing the same problem in my OHC too. All of a sudden for the past few days the Check Engine Light comes on, if I restart the car it goes away & then comes back again later but there is specific instance on which it comes on & there is no loss of performance or any other side effect. It doesn't even go into Limp mode.
Thats def an O2 sensor issue. Have the same prob on my Vtec. Honda charges 16-17K for it but like Viper mentioned, you can get the sensors for 4-4.5K. Performance wise, there's no noticable diff. Moreover, i've heard that under full throttle application, the O2 sensor is bypassed alltogether.

Shan2nu
Old 10th July 2007, 09:27   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks like mine is the only Vtec so far without this problem. That, or its coming up soon.

BTW whats with Honda and their O2 sensors? In the USA, all of our groups Accords had to get it changed. And now the Vtec appears to need replacements sooner or later.
Old 10th July 2007, 09:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, have heard from industry sources too about Honda's O2 sensors having a higher than ordinary failure rate - unless its only a extra-sensitive ecm kicking in the check-engine light too proactively.
Old 10th July 2007, 09:52   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Moreover, i've heard that under full throttle application, the O2 sensor is bypassed alltogether.

Shan2nu
Since you go into open loop at more than 50 or 75% throttle.
Old 10th July 2007, 10:58   #12
BHPian

My Dad's OHC 1.3 too had the same problem. After around 70K and 5 yrs. Peninsular Honda in Trivandrum had checked it, they told that they tried to reprogram (or the like) but still the engine check light was on. So they told that the sensor had to be replaced. Neither me or my brother was at home then so dont know what excatly they said.
Yet, he used the car for another 10K with the light on (Thank God nothing happened). The RPM was high and there was a reduction in FE by around ~ 2-3 kmpl. Recently replaced it and as far as I remember, Dad told that the cost was around 10-12K. I shall confirm that and post you later.
I thought that this happened to our OHC only.
Old 10th July 2007, 12:06   #13
BHPian

BTW, since there are many complaints, can we collectively ask for a refund for those who has already replaced it and FOC replacement for others?
Old 10th July 2007, 14:50   #14
yuv
BHPian

At this very moment my OHC is being put thru the hi-scan at ichibaan.... will let you'll know the progress in a few hours... fingers crossed.

Meantime, can someone please point me to a good/reasonable dealer in Mumbai for the O2 sensor? Thanks a lot.

Yuvi
Old 10th July 2007, 15:23   #15
BHPian

@Yuv
I confirmed with my Dad. The cost was 16K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks