Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 22:08   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine Oil Additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Academic question.
This is a modern and powerful, superbly responsive, exceedingly well tuned engine.
LiquiMoly Ceratec is supposed to enhance smoothness and reduce noise. And indeed I can feel the difference.

Is there some evidence to suggest that LiquiMoly Ceratec is detrimental in some way?

And for that matter since Mahindra recommends only semi synthetic oil, is using fully synthetic oil of the same grade, going to create any headaches?
Usually when you change to a thicker oil , engine tends to quiet down a bit especially at cold start. If you assume that is what this additive is doing that is changing the viscosity of the oil - it's not necessarily a good thing because engines are designed to operate with a certain type of oil, especially the one they have tested the engine with. This could cause sludge but then I am sure this company would be marketing something to 'Flush' it all down the pan.

Given the advanced engine design and tight tolerances , oil is not just for lubrication but also for cooling certain parts of the vehicle which once again makes viscosity crucial for best performance in that case.

I could be completely wrong , but then the owners manual tells you not to use any additives anyways , so there is that.

Given your time spent in the hills , Mahindra is a life line there, it's a hardy, reliable machine, let's keep it that way.
Old 4th April 2023, 14:18   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Usually when you change to a thicker oil , engine tends to quiet down a bit especially at cold start.
=====
Given your time spent in the hills , Mahindra is a life line there, it's a hardy, reliable machine, let's keep it that way.
Just bought a VW virtus gt 1.5 tsi. Was going through the owner manual and found out that I'm not supposed to add any oil additives. Can I use one of those engine oil flushing compounds at least? When changing oil that is..
Old 4th April 2023, 14:46   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apramey View Post
Just bought a VW virtus gt 1.5 tsi. Was going through the owner manual and found out that I'm not supposed to add any oil additives. Can I use one of those engine oil flushing compounds at least? When changing oil that is..
Adding a flush should not be an issue, but do wait for at least 10-15k kms, before that it maybe pointless. Also this will give you an opportunity to baseline engine performance and consumptions.
Old 4th April 2023, 14:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just bought a VW virtus gt 1.5 tsi. ... Can I use one of those engine oil flushing compounds at least? When changing oil that is..
Why do you want to add the flush ? How much has the car done / are there any issues with the car ?

As long as the car has been serviced at VW, I dont see a need for flush. Only do it IF the manual says so.
Old 4th April 2023, 15:08   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No oil additives, no fuel additives, no engine flush - normal servicing is all that it needs.

You can spend the money on Petrol and explore the vast expanse of a country that we live in.
Old 4th April 2023, 19:46   #96
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I was of the impression that adding fuel additives right from day 1 will keep the injecectors and valves and fuel lines cleaner.. i was of the same impression about engine oil additives.
Old 5th April 2023, 07:49   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why do you want to add the flush ? How much has the car done / are there any issues with the car ?

As long as the car has been serviced at VW, I dont see a need for flush. Only do it IF the manual says so.
The car has done just over 300km now. Got the delivery on 31st March. I read somewhere that during the first 1000km, there will be lot of carbon and metal shedding into the engine due to the run in process. Thus an oil change at 1000km will be ideal. That's why I was enquiring about the flush and oil additives. The manual says don't add any additives, i don't understand why.
Old 5th April 2023, 14:56   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car has done just over 300km now. Got the delivery on 31st March. I read somewhere that during the first 1000km, there will be lot of carbon and metal shedding into the engine due to the run in process. .
This was applicable to engines in old times. Today's manufacturing has come far beyond all that. Just stick to scheduled and recommended service, and your car will be good for a long long time. Flush is more to clean old oil that would have kind of become sludge-like when used for too long without being changed as required.

Last edited by condor : 5th April 2023 at 14:57.
Old 5th April 2023, 16:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has done just over 300km now...
As long its a MMHT you can do whatever you want. Because even if you make a blunder it wont cost a arm or a leg to put it back together or you can even convince the warranty out of the A.s.s.

But the Germans, European cars (VW, Skoda, any other from that region) are waiting for some opportunity to decline warranty on an otherwise well engineered product. By bad luck if an out of warranty repair occurs you wont get the spare in local Mysore shops or even in JC road area of Bangalore. Lets just say it is difficult not impossible. That is why other than petrol dont put anything else inside the car for such brands.

PS MMHT...
Maruti
Mahindra
Hyundai
Tata

EDIT
Quote:
The manual says don't add any additives, i don't understand why.
Then please dont, also re-read the whole manual as to what you can do and not do.

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th April 2023 at 16:06.
Old 5th April 2023, 22:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I was of the impression that adding fuel additives right from day 1 will keep the injecectors and valves and fuel lines cleaner.. i was of the same impression about engine oil additives.
Quote:
The car has done just over 300km now. Got the delivery on 31st March. I read somewhere that during the first 1000km, there will be lot of carbon and metal shedding into the engine due to the run in process. Thus an oil change at 1000km will be ideal. That's why I was enquiring about the flush and oil additives. The manual says don't add any additives, i don't understand why.
One thing that nobody tells you: Your car cannot run with a flush inside the engine. That is, you cannot drive your car with it.
Reason: It is not a lubricant, it is a dispersant, which should be used on a static engine for a very short duration let's say 10 mins of idling.

Now the question is, why should we add something that is detrimental for the engine?

Here, the believers believe that the benefit of using it supercedes the risks it carries (especially for a sludged up engine).
For a healthy, already clean engine, the risk of using a flush is huge. Do not go that way.

Regarding your metal shavings in oil concern, yes, they are present, but flush will not do anything to these metal shavings. If used excessively, it will only increase them!

Flush is designed to emulsify sludge, disperse it into the oil and then when you remove the oil, it eliminates from the engine.

I am fond of researching oils and flushes and found that flushes contain the same dispersant which are present in engine oil, but at a much higher level, making them unsuitable for the engine. For me, the best flush designed for the engine is the engine oil. If in doubt, replace it more often (please consider environmental impacts also while doing it, be rational)

Baby shampoo is good enough for the infants, don't use adult shampoos on them, baby hairs are already clean and quite vulnerable.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
For a healthy, already clean engine, the risk of using a flush is huge. Do not go that way.
Makes sense. I guess I’ll ask around about the fuel additives in the fuel additives section before going that way.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd June 2023 at 20:32. Reason: Trimming quoted post and fixing caps.
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I put 300ml LiquiMoly Ceratec into my Thar Petrol engine. The already smooth and silent petrol engine has now become whisper soft and buttery.

I also poured 300ml of Ceratec into my Gypsy. The smoothness of the engine that Ceratec imparts is unbelievable.

And 300ml of Ceratec into my 11 year
Old Cooper. Amazingly smooth response!
Did you add ceratec during oil change or midway?
If during oil change, did you do engine flush also?
Old 2nd June 2023, 20:22   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
Did you add ceratec during oil change or midway?
If during oil change, did you do engine flush also?
I added the ceratec just after pouring the requisite oil in the oil change. I reduced the oil by 300ml so as to accommodate the ceratec.
I did not do engine flush and havent done it for any of the cars. Mine are all older cars now. I wont take a chance with engine flush for fear of dislodging or further degrading some old seal inside the engine.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks