View Poll Results: Does Your Car have ABS
Yes 93 50.27%
No 91 49.19%
Whats that????????? 1 0.54%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 00:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify my post above. I personally believe that ABS is not just a binary yes or no. But also how well the whole equipment / software is. I personally feel that the ABS implementation on Accent is bad. Not tried other Hyundai models with ABS.

On Importance of ABS, I would like to add that - almost all of us would have seen skid marks on the roads leading into pavements and what not... next time you see it, think how ABS could have helped

Last edited by ST7677 : 7th October 2007 at 00:27.
Old 7th October 2007, 00:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If the Accent has ABS then it should be the Tornado which had 185/60-14 rubber.

AFAIK. the Accent GLS also had ABS for sometime not just the viva or the tornado. Check with your records tyre man.
Old 7th October 2007, 00:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-thread-8.html

I think the thread above clarifies a lot of things you want to know about ABS & how much it is useful in our context for the premium that is being charged for it.

Personally I think it is only an advancement in braking as is the advancement of the fuel injection system as regards to the carburettor system, why should anyone pay through their nose for that ?
Old 7th October 2007, 00:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Year & Make of Car : 2007 Suzuki Swift VDi
Tyres : Stock Tyres -165/80/14
Discs : Upfront
Was ABS std/optional : Optional
If Optional for How Much More : 20000
EBD : Yes
Old 7th October 2007, 02:00   #20
BHPian

Year & Make of Car : 03 toyota corolla h5
Tyres : 205 60 or 55 15
Discs : all discs
Was ABS std/optional : no no options either
If Optional for How Much More :
EBD :no

Last edited by paras211 : 7th October 2007 at 02:01.
Old 7th October 2007, 03:32   #21
BHPian

I've got to say this isn't entirely fair to some of us. When I bought my VDi ABS wasn't an option and I would have had to wait at least 6 months for the model with ABS. That didn't fit my scheme of things at the time and hence bought the VDi without ABS. Does that mean I am less mindful of safety? NO. Does it mean I don't appreciate MUL for making life difficult? YES. Do I have the right to flame the manufacturer for not making the ABS model available at the launch? YES.

C'mon BUSA, knowing the benefits of ABS and shelling out lots of money for ABS as an option (when it should be OE) are two different issues. If ABS wasn't an option when I buy a car or if it means an additional 2.5l (as in Samurai's case) that doesn't mean I am permanently estopped from commenting about ABS does it?
Old 7th October 2007, 03:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
I've got to say this isn't entirely fair to some of us. When I bought my VDi ABS wasn't an option and I would have had to wait at least 6 months for the model with ABS. That didn't fit my scheme of things at the time and hence bought the VDi without ABS. Does that mean I am less mindful of safety? NO. Does it mean I don't appreciate MUL for making life difficult? YES. Do I have the right to flame the manufacturer for not making the ABS model available at the launch? YES.

C'mon BUSA, knowing the benefits of ABS and shelling out lots of money for ABS as an option (when it should be OE) are two different issues. If ABS wasn't an option when I buy a car or if it means an additional 2.5l (as in Samurai's case) that doesn't mean I am permanently estopped from commenting about ABS does it?
my point exactly... Baleno never came with ABS even as an option though its price was north of 6 lacs. that does not mean that Baleno owners dont care for ABS.
Old 7th October 2007, 07:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
my point exactly... Baleno never came with ABS even as an option though its price was north of 6 lacs. that does not mean that Baleno owners dont care for ABS.

But does that make Baleno owners unhappy. Think of those people who got the Baleno before those price cuts!

However bigger emphasis should be laid on "resistance to brake fade". Brake fade is a far far bigger effect than often understood. I just drove a 325i that has horrible brakes, forget locking, when you press the brake the car is sliping thru. Although brake work on this particular car was done only a few months back.

Ikon suffers from Brakes that fade fast. In our heat it is quite recommended to have ventilated rotors. But does anyone have it? However some cars are over servoes and tend to lock up, but then with familiarity, one gets used to the pressures needed even under absolute emergency.

Last edited by 1100D : 7th October 2007 at 07:43.
Old 7th October 2007, 07:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
It's a misconception and more of an excuse that "Driving at slow speed in city does not need ABS...". I have been through a minor accident when few years back, on a rainy night I skidded and banged into a car in front, when I could have steered away. It should be mandatory on all cars and is of tremendous help when it rains or surface is lose.
[/b]
Talking about misconceptions, one should also be aware that in the slippery conditions ABS only helps the driver retain steering control, it won't manage to stop significantly better if there is no friction. If there is no way to steer into, results will be same. Actually there have been lots of cases where ABS equipped drivers have steered fatally into oncoming traffic or jump off bridges (bridges become iced faster than regular roads) where as non-ABS car drivers harmlessly banged into the backs of cars in the front. Steering away is not always the better option, it could get worse too.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Zen and Baleno are the cars which i own and drive. Both cars never came with ABS and i got no issues with braking..
So, its a NO for me.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:18   #26
BHPian

heard the new zen estillo has ABS?
Old 7th October 2007, 13:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

While I don't have ABS, I have a lot of BS. Does that count?
Old 7th October 2007, 13:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Whats the point of this thread ?

Majority of the cars sold in this country do not have ABS - and even if it's offered as optional - no one would go for it because it COSTS extra. And people here are not exactly known to spend for features which they think are useless. For them a dhinchak music system is a far better thing than having ABS.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's have a poll on whether your car has a AC.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:29   #30
BHPian

Year & Make of Car :
2001 Dec, FIAT Palio 1.6 GTX
Tyres : 175/65 OE
Discs :
Was ABS std/optional : Std
If Optional for How Much More : NA
EBD : Yes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks