Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 17:14   #1
BHPian

Engine Malfunction Light ON in OHC. pls advise!

the engine malfunction light has come on in my auto tranny OHC. before i take it for service...any suggestions or likely causes?
thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2007, 19:20   #2
BHPian

How is the engine behaving ? Is it running normal or acting weird ? Did you check if the engine oil is low ?
Old 11th November 2007, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check the O2 sensor first. There have been numerous cases on team-bhp where OHC owners (including me) have faced this prob.

Shan2nu
Old 11th November 2007, 20:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Take to a garage with diagnostic equipment and check for the code, mostly it would be O2 as reported by many in TBHP
Old 11th November 2007, 20:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Does it come on occasionally?
If it happens when putting your foot down, chances are it is a loose contact.
Old 11th November 2007, 22:30   #6
BHPian

Pardon me, but which one is the engine malfunction light? Is it the yellow colour one which comes ON each time you turn to ignition and goes off after few seconds?
Old 12th November 2007, 10:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftaar View Post
the engine malfunction light has come on in my auto tranny OHC. before i take it for service...any suggestions or likely causes?
thanks in advance.
Well, going by the number of occurences right within this forum and by my knowledge of OHCs I have seen,... this must be the O2 sensor. But will do you good if you can get a OBD scan first to rule out anything else.

Even after the OBD scan shows it is the O2 sensor and if you are being too prudent to spend on it, ask whoever does the OBD scan to reset this error and take your car for a short drive, if the MIL indicator does not reappear, keep driving. If it reappears again with the same error code, just change the O2 sensor and go on with your drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Pardon me, but which one is the engine malfunction light? Is it the yellow colour one which comes ON each time you turn to ignition and goes off after few seconds?

YES!!! good for you, if it goes off after the ignition.
Old 13th November 2007, 19:42   #8
BHPian

thanks everyone! knew i'd get good advice!

did take it to the service station. they did everything as 'gbspcars' has mentioned. its definately the 02 sensor. they wanted to replace it right away. but it costs 17000 bucks and thats steep.

so i called my regular service guy. he's replaced a few sensors in other OHC's with ones available in the market. cost 5-7k. he says they aren't that reliable and 2 out of 5 fail in about 2 years. but i think...what the hell, i might as well try it.

any suggestions?
Old 13th November 2007, 20:02   #9
BHPian

raftaar..... there was this t-bhp member from cochin i think who got his o2 sensor replaced from a piece his friend picked up for him in thailand. his landing cost was around 4.5k-5k. why don't you snoop around before you get it replaced.
Old 14th November 2007, 18:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
raftaar..... there was this t-bhp member from cochin i think who got his o2 sensor replaced from a piece his friend picked up for him in thailand. his landing cost was around 4.5k-5k. why don't you snoop around before you get it replaced.
am planning to do just that! however, i just want some feedback as to the reliability factor. anybody?
Old 14th November 2007, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post

i was that member...had this problem as soon as i landed in chennai from cochin..
a ex honda guy from the cochin dealership got me the sensor for 4k - works fine...

but do have your sensor head cleaned of carbon deposits even before u invest this 4k....
Old 14th November 2007, 23:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftaar View Post
am planning to do just that! however, i just want some feedback as to the reliability factor. anybody?
dont worry about reliability factor...that does not apply to the 17k piece u get from the showroom also !!
Old 14th November 2007, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Have you tried driving around after re-setting the ECU to see if the error reappeard, Just clean the Sensor head and also clean the Exhaust.

At times a O2 error also comes with a Bad(RICH) Air-Fuel Mix, so check the plugs and clean the Air Filter and Throttle.

In my XETA I sometimes got a Lamda Error ( O2) at that time the car was on Open Loop system( Rich CNG-Air Ratio),However later after the Closed Loop fittment, no more Lamda Errors, So it did not mean that the Sensor was defective or damaged.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:14   #14
BHPian

it generally is for an electrical failure that might have occured or even if a wrong fuse is placed happended once in my esteem
Old 17th November 2007, 11:06   #15
BHPian

hey everyone...am going to try fit the new sensor (not from showroom).
narayan...don't know how i missed it...but you're right! the original sensor isn't reliable either! that's why i'm in this position.
to answer other queries...i did get it checked at the showroom. they rest the thingy and tried other things too. but it obviously was a prob with the o2 sensor.
anyways...will get to know today. will keep you guys posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks